ADVERTISEMENT

Neutral Site game

GreatBear71

Scholarship
May 9, 2005
Franklin mentioned that he would be in favor of looking into a neutral site game. No details were mentioned. How about M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore?

There is no such thing as a true neutral site for Pitt. Anything not in Pittsburgh is going to feel like a road game anyway. It doesn't matter, because the thought of this series is going to vanish pretty quickly after this year, when there is no "Pitt week" for a reporter to broach the subject the Franklin. After that, it will die down until Penn State either gets a new coach or a new AD (since the current ones in place have more or less made their positions clear).

I happened to be listening to the Fan last night, and Zeise explained it pretty well from the PSU perspective. They have nine conference games and two cupcakes (every same team does at least two cupckaes; you'd be silly not to). That means they really only have one opportunity for a quality rotating opponent. They want to branch out, target new recruiting areas, play in places where various alum of theirs can attend the games, etc. Can you blame them? What does playing Pitt really do for them? Any PSU fans living in Pittsburgh can easily make the 2.5-hour trek a few times per year. They don't need us. And the truth is that we don't need them for anything we can't get from West Virginia.

So, under the current structure (nine Big 10 conference games and the CFP being set up as it is), it really just isn't a great fit. I'm fine with that. I like playing Penn State (though I must admit I'm feeling pretty indifferent on it this year), but I also like a little variety. Tennessee, Wisconsin... I'm all for those types of opponents. But if you want a rivalry, we all know where to find it. Just shoot down 79, cross over the draw bridge, never mind the siblings mating in the water supply, swerve to avoid the charging cannibals, take the exit, duck under the flying bottle of moonshine, park your car, follow the whiskery lady in the camouflage Carhartt overalls, and you're there. Enjoy the game.

Franklin mentioned that he would be in favor of looking into a neutral site game. No details were mentioned. How about M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore?
Franklin is a f**king liar. No way they are giving up a home game in front of 107 thousand cultists to share game revenue with someone else at a neutral site. Arrogant prick

I have no idea how pitt gains anything from this. I get why psu would do this. They could play still 7 home games plus a defacto home game against us. No thanks

Franklin is a f**king liar. No way they are giving up a home game in front of 107 thousand cultists to share game revenue with someone else at a neutral site. Arrogant prick

Easy to suggest when he knows Pitt will never agree to it. Best to forget about PSU after this weekend. I was against scheduling these games and I don't want Pitt asking them to schedule any in the future.

Jesus all this bullshit about “what’s good for PSU “ highlights exactly what the problem is

NOBODY ELSE IN THE COUNTRY MAKES THESE EXCUSES

Nobody

In State rivalries occur every year everywhere else except for Pennsylvania where an out of control egomaniac was allowed for decades to promote fictional mythology on this topic as well as many others

THIS is the problem... now Penn State feels entitled to continue this crap forever and apparently are not only oblivious to how the rest of the college football world works they also have a brainwashed cult who are all the more happy to support it over and over creating new excuses for what amounts to nothing more than being collectivist assholes

I don’t want another bullshit explanation from them they’re ALL bullshit

Honestly, Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia would make sense if they didn't play at Heinz Field or Beaver Stadium. FedEx Field or MetLife Stadium could work too. That's about it (I couldn't see a reason to go to Cleveland or Buffalo). That's about the universe of facilities that could handle the game, and would be in reasonable striking distance of PA.

Jesus all this bullshit about “what’s good for PSU “ highlights exactly what the problem is

Nobody

In State rivalries occur every year everywhere else except for Pennsylvania where an out of control egomaniac was allowed for decades to promote fictional mythology on this topic as well as many others

THIS is the problem... now Penn State feels entitled to continue this crap forever and apparently are not only oblivious to how the rest of the college football world works they also have a brainwashed cult who are all the more happy to support it over and over creating new excuses for what amounts to nothing more than being collectivist assholes

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This... BRILLIANT.

Thanks Druid. It is left to a few of us who know the truth, who will not be cow'd, who appreciate the outrage of the lies and sickening arrogance of the Cultists... to point this out.

There is more to this game than how the relative standings of the football programs measure up. One university is essentially a pariah in the college sports industry - seen as arrogant and out-of-touch, self-centered and self-righteous.

Keep pushing out the truth.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Year 1 at PSU
Year 2 at Pitt
Year 3 at PSU
Year 4 at Pitt
Year 5 in Philly or at PSU whatever makes more sense
Year 6 at whoever won the best of 5
Year 7 at Pitt
Year 8 at PSU
Year 9 at Pitt
Year 10 at PSU
Year 11 in Philly or at Pitt whatever makes more sense
Year 12 at whoever won the best of 5

If they feel so superior to Pitt, and would win both sets of best of 5 series, then that means they would get 2 extra home games.

They would take that deal with anyone (ie Temple, Syracuse, Boston College, etc) but one school. That school being Pitt.

Alabama does it every year.

If some NFL venue comes to Penn State and says we will pay you X amount to play here vs Team XYZ and that is more money that they can make in 1 home game, they'd probably do it. Now, how you may ask, could they make more money off a neutral site game than a home game? Higher ticket prices, luxury box sales, game sponsorship, etc. Like I said, programs with huge stadiums do this all the time.

Is there a list someone has of our alumni population by MSA? I wonder how Philly compares to DC/Baltimore. The Linc is looking for games.

Franklin is full of crap. They are afraid of us, it is that simple. They think they are Bama when in reality they are Tennessee. (Notice that Tennessee cant beat Kentucky either)

If the Big 10 would drop to an 8 game conference schedule instead of 9, the series would probably be played each year. With the 9 game conference schedule PSU needs the revenue from two cupcakes on their schedule each year.

Reactions: indynittany
Maybe the state legislature should do what they did in Alabama when the tide and Auburn didn't want to play. As long as you are receiving a state subsidy, then you will play Pitt.

Nobody

Maybe the state legislature should do what they did in Alabama when the tide and Auburn didn't want to play. As long as you are receiving a state subsidy, then you will play Pitt.

Pitt and PSU are the only 2 P5 schools that dont play an in-state P5 OOC game besides the Texas schools.

Iowa-ISU
UGa-GT
UK-UL
Fla-FSU
Utah-BYU
Even Colorado and Colorado State play every year

Reactions: JSSTartan and pbrad
Pitt and PSU are the only 2 P5 schools that dont play an in-state P5 OOC game besides the Texas schools.

Iowa-ISU
UGa-GT
UK-UL
Fla-FSU
Utah-BYU
Even Colorado and Colorado State play every year
All those teams play 8 game conference schedules except for Iowa who plays a 9 game conference schedule. And since they play Iowa St each year they have no other non-conference power 5 games schedule in the future and haven't played one since the conference switched to a 9 game schedule in 2016. That's what PSU is trying to avoid. They don't want to be locked in to only playing Pitt as a non-conference opponent.

Reactions: indynittany
All those teams play 8 game conference schedules except for Iowa who plays a 9 game conference schedule. And since they play Iowa St each year they have no other non-conference power 5 games schedule in the future and haven't played one since the conference switched to a 9 game schedule in 2016. That's what PSU is trying to avoid. They don't want to be locked in to only playing Pitt as a non-conference opponent.

Yeah, I can see the logic in that unfortunately. It's just a shame it has to be that way.

EDIT: Especially when you have teams like Ohio State and Minnesota not scheduling any P5's OOC

The unfortunate truth about Pitt fb is that Pitt needs attractive opponents to sell season tickets . Take ND & PSU off the home schedule and see how many season tickets are sold .

The thing that really sucks is that the increase in ticket sells isn’t from Pitt fans it’s from the fans of PSU and ND who must buy a season ticket In order to get a ticket to the game .

PSU doesn’t need Pitt on their schedule and the amount of money they and State College make from a home game is staggering. Why should they give up that revenue from a home game to play a program mired in mediocrity?

Why does Pitt want to play PSU , a school who takes its Fb seriously and under the current conditions Pitt would be lucky to win 1 or 2 games out of 10 . It couldn't be the money ! I’m not very optimistic about Sat. game ! Take PSU and give the pts .

Pitt should forget about PSU and focus on WVU who actually wants to play Pitt . The WVU fans will help sell out HF .

Pitts problem isn’t who they play or where they play ( HF ) , it’s how they play ! As a Pitt fan until they take Fb seriously I get no pleasure in a PSU rivalry . Watching your team get a beat down and being reminded how mediocre they are does nothing for me .

They, just like every other p-5 school, are not locked into anything other than their conference schedule. PSU can play whoever they choose to in their 3 non-conference games. This idea that they have to play so many home games to support whatever has been their excuse to not play Pitt for 20 years. It is their choice, they are not forced to do it by some magic power.

Each ACC team has a nine game schedule every time ND shows up on it.

Reactions: pbrad
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT