ADVERTISEMENT

Nicholls State game thread

Pitt very ragged and out of sync on offense. Johnson and McGowens have done nothing thus far. Murphy’s shooting the only thing going well.

Reactions: FieldHouse12
Trey is a turnover machine, it's painful to listen to on the radio. Pitt is getting blown out on their home court.

Pitt down 11. The game was down to 4 with X out of the game with 2 fouls. McGowens single-handily gave the lead back with careless ball handling.

Pitt needs to make an adjustment and get a player to show at the foul line. Nicholls is putting pressure in the backcourt and Johnson and McGowens are being forced to either over dribble or make a bad pass. Disheartening start.

41-31 at the half. Pitt playing poor and Nicholls hitting every shot.

This team won’t win many games if X and Trey don’t play well.

I think we can put to rest the thoughts of X going pro after this year unless his play dramatically improves

Reactions: Nashville Panther
X with 2 fouls and Trey played a ton at point. He became a turnover machine. Plus Nicholls is hitting every shot against our zone

I don't understand how this team was picked 11th in the Southland. They have great size, can shoot the lights out, and defend. I know this is 1 half of 1 game but they look more talented than us AND Florida State. I dont get it.

41-31 at the half. Pitt playing poor and Nicholls hitting every shot.
Nichols is shooting 50% for the game. So they are shooting well, but not unbelievablely well.

They are simply and clearly just outplaying us.

Reactions: FieldHouse12
I don't understand how this team was picked 11th in the Southland. They have great size, can shoot the lights out, and defend. I know this is 1 half of 1 game but they look more talented than us AND Florida State. I dont get it.
Right. This is a pretty good team.

Nichols “unconscious” with the 3-ball hitting 7 of 14. Pitt defense is poor and there is also no offensive rhythm for Pitt either. Without a serious wake up call in the 2nd half this will be a loss.

Nichols played just like this in the 2nd half vs Illinois hitting lots of 3s and scoring 47 points to send that game to OT.

Nichols is shooting 50% for the game. So they are shooting well, but not unbelievablely well.

They are simply and clearly just outplaying us.
Seems like they are shooting 65%. Maybe it's the fact that every time Pitt gets to 5 or 6 points, they hit 3 straight baskets.

Maybe more of a focus problem than actual effort.
It's focus and effort for sure, but Nicholls is doing what FSU did and not allowing Pitt to run any kind of offense by being aggressive in the backcourt. We need to create some easier outlets for X and Trey, though near the end of the first half X was able to finally get to the basket easily a few times.

OT: Bobby Mo down 32 at ND and in even better news Minnesota leads PSU by 14 late in the 1st half.

Mcgowens chucks up a 3 without any ball movement. I guess the surprise is he did it without traveling.

Pitt gets within 4 and McGowens pulls up for a wild 28-point 3 attempt. I love the kid, but he needs to simplify his game and help make others better around him today. It’s not his day.

Reactions: Black Panther
Pitt gets within 4 and McGowens pulls up for a wild 28-point 3 attempt. I love the kid, but he needs to simplify his game and help make others better around him today. It’s not his day.

I think trey and X are trying to do too much and carry the team on their shoulders rather than playing with the flow of the game. They have. More support this year and don’t need to be the only source of offense

I think trey and X are trying to do too much and carry the team on their shoulders rather than playing with the flow of the game. They have. More support this year and don’t need to be the only source of offense
Correct and thankfully Murphy is really emerging. 21 points. Down 1.

Again way too many offensive rebounds.

and sloppy turnovers.

rebounding or lack of is still an Achilles heal for this team

They had their chances but sloppy turnovers and poor rebounding cost them.

I wouldn’t get too down. The good news is that the addition of Murphy and Champaign are pretty significant and brown is much improved. If the can get trey and X on track this team might be decent. Toney has to elevate his play as well.

There were 100 sequences to point out, but the one right after the under 4:00 TO with Pitt down 1 where Johnson turned the ball over twice and Nicholls hit a 3 really was indicative of the whole game. But as I mentioned, you could pick and choose many other ways the Panthers just didn’t produce today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT