ADVERTISEMENT

Not good news for those people wondering about a fall football season...

I have avoided responding but can’t anymore I work in the long term care industry and have lost residents to this disease Please don’t make this political. Some things I have learned even nursing home residents who already have medical issues survive this infection. In fact the majority do People with serious complications from other issues don’t. The average age of people dying is 79. We had 2 100 year old survive. Yes there are young people who die from this but they die from the flu or pneumonia every year also. The difference with this is how extremely contagious it is just thought I would share some information
Post as you wish everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion about a pandemic that strikes every 100 years. Thx 4 sharing and be safe!!!

Sure..So long as the dude taking no precautions, and exhibiting risky behaviors, doesn't happen to be the spouse of someone that works at my mother's elderly care facility..
I understand your fear, but unfortunately those facilities will have to carefully screen every employee, every day until a vaccine arrives. The development and rollout of on demand antigen and virus testing will also be a big player in these situations. Regardless of shutdowns, this virus is not going away and there are many people out there in essential jobs who can keep spreading it. It's not like the US can clear the streets - people are out and about even with SIP.

My Mom is 90 and in a facility and there is NO way she leaves her condo in the near term. Perhaps family will be able to come and visit with lots of distance and masks, but that's it. We understand the risks and will minimize them as much as possible until a vaccine is developed. This is just me, but I have no issue with opening up cities. We protect the most vulnerable and let those at less risk become contributing members of society again.

(Edit: Having said that if she came to me and said I don't care the risks, I want to be out, I would support her. The stark reality is that some/many of these people may die from any number of things not Covid-related before ever going out in the world again.)

Last edited:
There is also more testing being done in a lot of parts of the country, so numbers are bound to be higher. I have been tracking Georgia's daily cases and it doesn't look like they have had an alarming spike in the past few days (like Illinois did yesterday- a state locked down). If people are expecting cases to get down to 0, its probably never going to happen. No one knows how long immunity lasts, and even when a vaccine comes out, a decent percentage of the population isn't going to take it (citing they are "rushing" it or are "anti-vaxers" for different reasons). While I am optimistic a vaccine will come out soon, the world needs to start preparing for if that is a few years away. Industries and people will not survive if we stay locked down the next 2-3 years.
More positives because the cases are growing

Honestly I don't see any community that has been reopened go to total lockdown, no one on the streets again. The governors may ask for it, but my gut says many will ignore.
Wuhan reopened and will now test the 11 mil citizens over the next 6 days to isolate and contact trace .

which is what America has to be willing to do .

the no testing and no tracing - well except for the White House staff- ahem -
Means cases are spreading and will continue to repeak

hooray for a total lack of federal leadership !

I don't know. But here in Allegheny County we've been in total lockdown for almost 2 months. I expect the eastern part to stay closed until late May/early June which would be closer to 3 months.

I did a quick search and Italy went on lockdown March 9th. They started reopening May 4th so a bit under 2 months. My guess is most countries were/are around the same time frame? So not sure about our lockdown being "nothing" compared to other countries?

(I didn't look at China, but since they are not a free society it can't compare.)
We aren’t on lockdown -
If you’ve been to a grocery store or pharmacy lately

my school that I teach at may be open, but we will not have all 1600 kids in at once.
I will put money on that one.

Wuhan reopened and will now test the 11 mil citizens over the next 6 days to isolate and contact trace .

Well appears residents in Chicago and other cities can get tested on demand. There is NOTHING we can do about those who refuse to be tested, just like those who refuse to get annual flu vaccines. We are a free society.

If someone is not comfortable with the current situation, stay isolated - no judgements. I think it's been demonstrated the last 2 months that people can get whatever they want/whenever they want delivered right to their door. No need to ever step outside again.

Reactions: ThePanthers
We aren’t on lockdown -
If you’ve been to a grocery store or pharmacy lately
Sorry for the term "lockdown" - essential businesses have always been open. But for the most part it was shelter in place (and even that isn't the best terminology).

I understand your fear, but unfortunately those facilities will have to carefully screen every employee, every day until a vaccine arrives. The development and rollout of on demand antigen and virus testing will also be a big player in these situations. Regardless of shutdowns, this virus is not going away and there are many people out there in essential jobs who can keep spreading it. It's not like the US can clear the streets - people are out and about even with SIP.

My Mom is 90 and in a facility and there is NO way she leaves her condo in the near term. Perhaps family will be able to come and visit with lots of distance and masks, but that's it. We understand the risks and will minimize them as much as possible until a vaccine is developed. This is just me, but I have no issue with opening up cities. We protect the most vulnerable and let those at less risk become contributing members of society again.

(Edit: Having said that if she came to me and said I don't care the risks, I want to be out, I would support her. The stark reality is that some/many of these people may die from any number of things not Covid-related before ever going out in the world again.)
A good friends father is in pretty bad shape he has battled cancer for a while( in remission) but he's 89 and is battling all kinds of ailments. He is still sharp mentally just his body is wearing down. He was out and about the other day. My buddy said he told him he doesn't have enough time left to waste it, if he gets it and dies so be it but he isn't waisting anymore precious time.

Reactions: pitt-girl

You legit think they are going to test 11 million people?

And yes, China is the corona leadership model the rest of the world should look up to.

Holy sh*t my man. Just delete your account.

A good friends father is in pretty bad shape he has battled cancer for a while( in remission) but he's 89 and is battling all kinds of ailments. He is still sharp mentally just his body is wearing down. He was out and about the other day. My buddy said he told him he doesn't have enough time left to waste it, if he gets it and dies so be it but he isn't waisting anymore precious time.
That is a reality for many of the elderly.

I talk about it with my Mom frequently. Right now she's doing ok with no one but her 1x/week aide and staff but is very concerned she'll never be able to go to dinner or talk in person with her friends again. It's a very sad time for our elderly especially those who lose significant others with no closure (like my Mom).

Wait, so your point is that if we asked the guy back before all this started if he knew that this was going to happen he wouldn't have known back then? Well yeah, duh, no kidding.

You are correct. No one knows what is going to happen. Not the open it ups or the chicken littles. But the people in charge are PLANNING for things to be open. Pennsylvania is PLANNING for school to be open this fall. Many other schools are PLANNING to be open in the fall. The reason that they are planning for it is that they EXPECT that schools will be open in some form or fashion. They aren't guaranteeing it, but they most certainly are EXPECTING it.
Joe...We are ALL planning for things to get back to some form of "normalcy", at least I know I am. The point I was trying to make is that NO ONE knows for sure what the future holds for sure.
Also, PLANNING is one thing, making statements that are essentially saying that there WILL be football this fall, is simply not true. Until the governors of each state allows there to be large groups of people gathering together, it doesn't matter what any football coach, AD, school chancellor, league commissioner has to say.

Reactions: pierre93

Not trying to be a jerk, but what does a test prove? All it will show is that at the time of you getting that test completed, you were negative for the Coronavirus.
It will do nothing to prevent you from getting the virus after that time.

Not trying to be a jerk, but what does a test prove? All it will show is that at the time of you getting that test completed, you were negative for the Coronavirus.
Yes it means you aren’t actively spreading the virus at that point in time
Which will be needed for a return to normal
Along with masking

The more asymptomatic people that you test, the more positives you get, the more people you take off the street and put into quarantine so they don't spread the virus. Come on now. You really don't understand this.

These strategies like the testing of asymptomatic people or closing schools isnt necessarily to protect THESE people specifically, its to stop the spread of the virus from younger, asymptomatic people to older people.

Georgia has had a 40% jump since Kemps stupid reopening of nail salons , bowling alleys and tattoo parlors, hair salons ..he’s polling at 39% in a red state now...

70% disagree with his decision....so don’t bet on it.

40% "jump" in the number of cumulative total cases? Of course it went up since 24 APR, because people are still getting infected every day. The important number is the number of new cases per day, which is an indicator of transmission - which has plateaued and GA Dept of Health is currently showing a projected decline there.

Remember, this is all about slowing the transmission - not hiding until it's gone.

I don't know where this fallacy ever came from. Maybe it's just that people assume that a vaccine will keep people from getting this Wuhan virus. We'll never have a vaccine for this flu, just as we don't have a vaccine for the other strains of flu. At best, we'll have some type of flu shot that is 30% - 40% effective at immunizing people for a period of time. So to say we can wait for any sporting event to take place with crowds until a vaccine is developed means we'll never have crowds at sporting events ever again. That's what some politicians want us to do, but it will not sit well with 90% of the population. Focus on the vulnerable segments...those over 65 with underlying conditions, those in nursing homes and long-term care facilities. That's where most of the cases of this flu are occurring and where it is causing the most damage. With the exception of 3 or 4 cities, this Wuhan virus hasn't been doing much damage.

The point is that soon, it's time to just take the risk like we do with all viruses and let people get back to doing their normal routines, including going to football and basketball games. It's time to be reasonable and sane.

Reactions: pittmeister
40% "jump" in the number of cumulative total cases? Of course it went up since 24 APR, because people are still getting infected every day. The important number is the number of new cases per day, which is an indicator of transmission - which has plateaued and GA Dept of Health is currently showing a projected decline there.

Remember, this is all about slowing the transmission - not hiding until it's gone.
I’ll take your word for it that R0 is less than 1

Joe...We are ALL planning for things to get back to some form of "normalcy", at least I know I am. The point I was trying to make is that NO ONE knows for sure what the future holds for sure.
Also, PLANNING is one thing, making statements that are essentially saying that there WILL be football this fall, is simply not true. Until the governors of each state allows there to be large groups of people gathering together, it doesn't matter what any football coach, AD, school chancellor, league commissioner has to say.

Do you think the Coach's, AD's, Chancellor's, Commissioner's, Television networks, etc are working in concert together with their state governors'?

Whether or not, fans are at games is a completely different thing.

The stakeholder's of college football know that the money is in television. These same stakeholders know that if that money goes away so does many other very important things.

I see you’re falling for the Rand Paul line of thinking

first off there’s no real verification of all models being “wrong” it’s a talking point.

you know who’s been very much verified as wrong?

the White House “ we have 1 case went up to 15 probably be back to one”..,,over and over and over... and now they want everyone back out there risking their own asses while the WH itself has become a hot zone?? GTF outta here with ALL of that.

we won’t know for sure of course till fall no shit ... but planning ahead of time isn’t panic if I said it once I said it a thousand times. Look I certainly don’t live cooped up... I get out .. ride the bike .. take hikes and stay plenty active... but I’m not abandoning good sense right now because the WH says something, or the Governor whose been a disaster thusfar. Kemp just had to reverse his decision to forego driving tests during COVID after public pressure... imagine the stupidity... who thinks in the first place there’s an urgent need to get untested teens driving during a global pandemic? Kemp does.... or did. I know I called and imagine many many others did as well. Now we’ve got something like 14 states where children are getting sick from COVID and he’s opening summer camps? I can’t even ...

you want to prop up stupid you go right ahead ... hell put your money where your mouth is and volunteer or get a job bagging groceries .... go for it!!!
Why are so many "liberals" so full of hate? So many times you guys digress into insults and name calling.

Do you think the Coach's, AD's, Chancellor's, Commissioner's, Television networks, etc are working in concert together with their state governors'?

Whether or not, fans are at games is a completely different thing.

The stakeholder's of college football know that the money is in television. These same stakeholders know that if that money goes away so does many other very important things.
I agree with you that $ is a very powerful thing. How do you think the following situation would be handled? Let’s say there is an outbreak among a big-time program. Let’s use Alabama. Nick Saban, 5 of his assistants, and 10 guys on the 2-deep test positive for COVID and have to be quarantined for 2 weeks. This happens right before they are about to get into some key conference games. How is this situation going to be handled?

To be honest.....I don't see how there is going to be any sports (the 4 major leagues).

MLB makes sense, can be done rather safely, but they are the biggest babies and aren't willing to make any concessions, temporary or not.

The other 3 sports? You can't social distance. There will obviously be exchange of sweat, droplets, etc....it is unavoidable. And how do you enforce "social distancing" say on the sidelines and stupid things like that when you have full contact on the playing field. So I hope the leagues don't embarrass themselves with that charade.

Without testing, constant testing, this isn't going to get done.

yes, nobody can see into the future. That would have been true in May of 2019. If I told you then that football will be played in the fall of 2019, would you have said nobody can see into the future?

As of today, football will be played. Look at the statements that are being released. The idea that the president of WVU is just clueless about that the fall is looking like, is silly.

To be honest.....I don't see how there is going to be any sports (the 4 major leagues).

MLB makes sense, can be done rather safely, but they are the biggest babies and aren't willing to make any concessions, temporary or not.

The other 3 sports? You can't social distance. There will obviously be exchange of sweat, droplets, etc....it is unavoidable. And how do you enforce "social distancing" say on the sidelines and stupid things like that when you have full contact on the playing field. So I hope the leagues don't embarrass themselves with that charade.

Without testing, constant testing, this isn't going to get done.

Constant testing means what? Testing every single person playing the sport and every single person attending these events, every day for at least 2 weeks after the event? And if these players practice and play every week, this could go on forever. That's a lot of tests. All they prove is that on THAT day, a person was negative or positive. The next day, that may change. Or the day after, or the day after that. The test was one data point that is meaningless unless it is part of thousands of data points for that same person. This isn't going to happen.

Constant testing means what? Testing every single person playing the sport and every single person attending these events, every day for at least 2 weeks after the event? And if these players practice and play every week, this could go on forever. That's a lot of tests. All they prove is that on THAT day, a person was negative or positive. The next day, that may change. Or the day after, or the day after that. The test was one data point that is meaningless unless it is part of thousands of data points for that same person. This isn't going to happen.
I dunno. I am talking mostly about the participants. But what are they doing in some of the foreign sports leagues that are opening up?

Do you live your entire life in a panic mode.

Everything that can go wrong will go wrong.

fyi- I'm 70 retired, wealthy, don't need a job, live in a small town, we all know eachother, the local Giant Mgr needed help with some admin things, he hired me, I donate my pay to the kids who work there, I work at Giant customer service desk 3 days a week PT.The customer service desk is also a checkout so I see 100's of customers a day. Nice people with most wanting to get back at it.
No big deal..
You make it sound like a death sentence. lol!
Its people like you who cause unnecessary panic. I bet you a Mmask, gloves, face shield right.

Kemp and GA has the lowest level of hospitalizations recently.

The objective of shutting down the country was so the hospital system wasn't overwhelmed. It isn't!
Open the country, lets not have Scope Creep on the shutdown objective.

Increases in cases isn't going away for a while. The country cant stay closed for much longer or it wont be worth living here.
For most people Covid is like the flu.
Those with comorbidities should protect themselves.
We cant keep the country closed for a small percentage of the population that could have a problem.

I just posted a thread on Cruise Ships and Disney. Both are opening and cruise ship companies are swamped with bookings. Disney also. Casinos in NJ are opening in June, beaches boardwalks are open now.
People are living.

Cases will go up as the country opens, people will be together like there supposed to be, some people who are vulnerable will die, millions will get Covid and not know they have it, others will get Covid and be sick for a while 7-8 days and recover just fine, recently a 108 yr old woman was on the news who recovered from Covid and said it was like the flu, still others will have mild to strong reactions.

Over time treatments and a shot like a flu shot will be available. There's no vaccine for the flu just a variety of flu shots which are 40% effective so expect something like that for Covid.
This will be something we live with just like the flu and other diseases.

Shutting the country down was to avoid the hospital system from being overwhelmed.
Today hospitals are virtually empty, some so empty they're filing for bankruptcy, many have a surplus of ventilators, so it was mission accomplished for the shutdown.

Open the country, protect the vulnerable, as we manage the virus situation!

The rest of you can crawl out of your holes when you feel its safe for you that's your choice, but don't impose you will on the rest of us who want to return to normal. Its time!

Thank you my friend! You said it better than could. I keep going back to the Spanish Flu in 1918. It killed 50 million people world wide. 500 million was infected. Yet people had no choice but to go to work. There was no social safety net. Now 100 years later, we have all this.

“stay inside or we will all die!”
“I’m scared!”
“Where’s my safe space!”
Those are today’s battle cries..,

The sad part is most people absolutely believe what they are listening to without one drop of skepticism...

The models have absolutely been wrong but some people accept whatever they dish out as Gospel...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vo.../coronavirus-modeling-us-deaths-ihme-pandemic

Thank you my friend! You said it better than could. I keep going back to the Spanish Flu in 1918. It killed 50 million people world wide. 500 million was infected. Yet people had no choice but to go to work. There was no social safety net. Now 100 years later, we have all this.

“I’m scared!”
“Where’s my safe space!”

The sad part is most people absolutely believe what they are listening to without one drop of skepticism...

The models have absolutely been wrong but some people accept whatever they dish out as Gospel...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vo.../coronavirus-modeling-us-deaths-ihme-pandemic
Let’s not learn anything from the past and repeat the same mistakes. Brilliant!

There is middle ground to be found.

Here the problem people are having..... Every model has been WRONG. Their credibility is in the shitter. So what are they going to do? They're going to double down and tell you the apocalypse will be coming in the fall. You'll hunker down and then when fall arrives and nothing happens they'll hope you've forgotten their dire prediction back in May, especially when the economy has collapsed...

If you get up every morning and say "There is going to be an earthquake in California" one day you're going to be right. Then you'll tell everyone "I told you so!"
Bingo,

“I’m scared!”
“Where’s my safe space!”

That's the key. People have to quit listening to all of the garbage that the networks and experts keep spewing out there. Most of it is speculation and lies. There is no expert that is better than any other expert, which means none of them know much of anything. That includes Fauci.

If people aren't questioning the advice of these "experts", that's on them and is a huge mistake.

Reactions: pittmeister
Let’s not learn anything from the past and repeat the same mistakes. Brilliant!

There is middle ground to be found.
For some it's all or nothing and that's what's wrong in this country. Too many people think they are entitled, etc. Either way you look at this a medium has to be found. It's called being diplomatic and sensible.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT