ADVERTISEMENT

Not renewing season tickets

In the event that any part of my football season ticket cost is refunded, I will donate that amount to the football program or increase my PantherClub level equivalently, depending on how I evaluate my tax deduction situation for this year.

You cant deduct donations to charity unless you itemize, which you do not because almost nobody does anymore with the SALT deduction limit.

You cant deduct donations to charity unless you itemize, which you do not because almost nobody does anymore with the SALT deduction limit.

Many do. I did for this past tax year.

The key for many is to time donations so that they are processed in two of a charity's different fiscal years (in Pitt's case, the university's fiscal year runs from July to June, with the athletic donation cutoff being June 20th I believe) but with those donations being made in a single tax calendar year (which runs from Jan 1 to Dec 31). For instance, one could donate to the university (perhaps to the tax-deductible football championship fund for which no priority points are received) in June 2020, and have it count for the 2019-20 Pitt fiscal year for purposes of things like the Chancellor's circle, etc, and then donate to it again in December 2020 and have that count for the 2020-21 university fiscal year. In such a scenario, both donations could be deductible for the 2020 federal tax year. If one doesn't plan to deduct for 2020, then it might make more sense to instead increase one's PantherClub "giving" levels and take the priority points (such "giving" when receiving priority points is not deductible). This strategy of loading two year's donations into a single tax year allows many to itemize every other year, but it still comes down to how much one donates in any one tax year as to whether it makes sense to itemize.

The point is, I purchased my season tickets as I have since my freshman year at Pitt, even when I lived 2,500 miles away or when I lived on very meager training stipends, and in the unfortunate event that part of the season is cancelled and they refund some or all of the season ticket purchase price, I will support the athletic department and football program by returning whatever is refunded back to them. As much as I enjoy attending Pitt athletics, I annually purchase tickets just as much to support the athletic programs, student athletes, and university. In such a hypothetical scenario where part or all of the college football season is cancelled, Pitt's athletic department will be hurting badly and will need all the support it can get.

Last edited:
I'm honestly intrigued why SMF would start a thread like this. Obviously he ignored the original deadline, but doesn't explain why. It would seem obvious that he wasn't going to buy them anyway, but he won't admit that. So why even bring it up?

Reactions: PittMan 72
If this is still going on in September do you think 107K morons will be sitting in Beaver Stadium? Problem is even if they aren’t there they’ll still be advertising 107K strong!

I'm honestly intrigued why SMF would start a thread like this. Obviously he ignored the original deadline, but doesn't explain why. It would seem obvious that he wasn't going to buy them anyway, but he won't admit that. So why even bring it up?
I don’t mean this in a derogatory way toward him, but a psychologist could probably answer it. He’s brought this question up several times in different ways in other forums and perhaps discussing the fact that we will not return to normalcy for a very long time is something that he feels the need to discuss as much as possible. Maybe it’s comforting in some way. The OP puts a Pitt football spin on it and therefore opens up the same conversation to a different group of folks.

I don’t mean this in a derogatory way toward him, but a psychologist could probably answer it. He’s brought this question up several times in different ways in other forums and perhaps discussing the fact that we will not return to normalcy for a very long time is something that he feels the need to discuss as much as possible. Maybe it’s comforting in some way. The OP puts a Pitt football spin on it and therefore opens up the same conversation to a different group of folks.

Could be that. Intent can at times be difficult to determine. But there are also several posters who do seem - based on their long time posting history and the consistent tenor of their content - to want to sow the seeds of discontent and to denigrate and ridicule all things associated with Pitt athletics.

That's certainly their prerogative until they're censured by the mods, I suppose. But why anyone would want to do that repeatedly on a Pitt fan site comes into question. Would think it would be far less disingenuous and easier on themselves if they'd just come out of the closet and admit what they're trying to do, instead of continuing with the ongoing charade, though.

Last edited:

I don't know much about psychology, but I'm sometimes surprised that people often react in ways that I think would be just the opposite of what is normal.

In this thread, I answered the first part.

As for why start this thread, I guess I wanted to see who was planning on being at Heinz in September. At the time of posting, I forgot that the original deadline was pre-virus (well, you know) and that most would have already bought. I missed that deadline and by the time the 2nd deadline came around, it became apparent to me that there probably wont be a season or at least not one with fans.

In this thread, I answered the first part.

As for why start this thread, I guess I wanted to see who was planning on being at Heinz in September. At the time of posting, I forgot that the original deadline was pre-virus (well, you know) and that most would have already bought. I missed that deadline and by the time the 2nd deadline came around, it became apparent to me that there probably wont be a season or at least not one with fans.
How long did it take you to come with this crock of manure?????????
You didn;t know when the deadline was because you aren't and never have been a season ticket holder.

Thanks for the info about them pushing back the payment plan dates. I wasn't aware of that.

"In appreciation of our season ticket members' loyal support of the Panthers, Pitt athletics will be suspending bill plan payments for April. Payments that were scheduled to be taken out in April and May will now be moved into May and June (6/1 and 6/15)."

Which is a little confusing, since it says "May and June" but then the dates that they list are both in June.

Now you are an accountant too? LOL...plenty of us still file itemized returns...although with SALT caps in place, there are not nearly the number or size of deductions as there once were. Additionally, those of us that file multiple state tax returns still take advantage of those deductions on a state by state basis. Hail to Pitt!

ADVERTISEMENT