ADVERTISEMENT

Nov. 14 Thursday

Pitt and Steelers both play.
That wont help attendance.
College football is dumb for playing Th. night games opposite the NFL, and putting the pro and college teams from the same city on at the same is moronic. The Steelers can’t be too happy about only getting 3 days inbetween games either.

Reactions: PittCity
Looking at the schedule I agree.
I think they go 7-9.
Yoi. Its gonna be a looong year.

We have unc at home. Loss. Steelers at browns. Lol, that may be a tough one too.

That’d be cool if pens played and there was a pitt hoops game too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chaos and e-fresh
Pitt needs to say NO to these ridiculous Thursday night games and especially against UNC.
Steelers Browns that day too. Think Cleveland will be excited for that one...

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Has Pitt ever played UNC at home on a saturday ? WTH
This is at least the 3rd home Thursday vs Tarheels since moving to acc.

Has Pitt ever played UNC at home on a saturday ? WTH
This is at least the 3rd home Thursday vs Tarheels since moving to acc.
Hmm. I remember a night sat game at three rivers. 2000 I’m guessing. Didn’t end well.

I honestly don’t remember any unc games at Heinz on a Saturday to be honest. I’m sure there were a few.

Reactions: Jakey_John
Hmm. I remember a night sat game at three rivers. 2000 I’m guessing. Didn’t end well.

I honestly don’t remember any unc games at Heinz on a Saturday to be honest. I’m sure there were a few.

Pitt hosted UNC two years ago on a Saturday. UNC had lost Trubisky to the draft, were dealing with a bunch of injuries and suspensions and had like one win, so we were supposed to break the streak.

Then they ran the opening kickoff back for a TD and everyone remembered it was Pitt.

Reactions: jctrack
College football is dumb for playing Th. night games opposite the NFL, and putting the pro and college teams from the same city on at the same is moronic. The Steelers can’t be too happy about only getting 3 days inbetween games either.
On your last point, basically every team in the NFL has a Sunday-Thursday on their schedule so it is what it is.

Pitt needs to say NO to these ridiculous Thursday night games and especially against UNC.
Steelers Browns that day too. Think Cleveland will be excited for that one...

No,

They don't.

Thursday night football is no longer for slapdick schools that cant fill a stadium.

The big boys play on Thursday as it is a chance to have more eyeballs

Now.....if ur argument is the Steelers on the same night then yea, pitt is about to get embarrased again.

But give me Pitt on Thursday night. If we are winning games no one will complain.

Pitt should seek a 6 o'clock K.O or something. I would head to the game and then back to the bar to watch the nfl, heck might even stay in town that night.

Pitt hosted UNC two years ago on a Saturday. UNC had lost Trubisky to the draft, were dealing with a bunch of injuries and suspensions and had like one win, so we were supposed to break the streak.

Then they ran the opening kickoff back for a TD and everyone remembered it was Pitt.

The 2017 game versus UNC was on a November Thursday night.

Reactions: ddc17
I remember in the Wanny era, a Steelers exhibition game pounded Pitt @ Utah in local TV ratings and that's when we were like #15 or something like that.

I remember, sadly I cant forget, the images of a pitt script that was pink, for a thur night game against UNC.. talk about an image forever engrained in my mind.. Years of therapy and it's still there..

we hosted them in 2017 on a thur night. in 2015, it was a thur night game too..

In 2013, we had them on a Saturday at home. We lost. I don't recall that game though..

college had Thursday night football long before the NFL. Think they had some guy named Gottfried calling games on it at one point....greedy bastards were not happy monopolizing only Sunday and Monday but had to stick their noses into Thursday.....

I remember, sadly I cant forget, the images of a pitt script that was pink, for a thur night game against UNC.. talk about an image forever engrained in my mind.. Years of therapy and it's still there..
I was there and remember being very dissapointed by the team and crowd. That pink was hideous. Windy as heck that night.

Reactions: jctrack
college had Thursday night football long before the NFL. Think they had some guy named Gottfried calling games on it at one point....greedy bastards were not happy monopolizing only Sunday and Monday but had to stick their noses into Thursday.....
yeah, I remember Thur night games in college football being pretty cool. Big east jumped all over it for exposure and other conferences looked down on it til they realized a ton of people are watching it and all of a sudden ACC and other conferences wanted a part of the action..

as a college football fan I like it, just not for pitt at home.. and your point is correct, screw the nfl for jumping on this. they have all day sunday and Monday, horse manure move on them to jump on thur night too.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
It was for breast cancer awareness.
yes, thank you, fully aware of the cause.. as someone who has an immediate family member of a BC survivor, I appreciate college kids and nfl players wearing pink shoelaces, gloves and the script on the helmet being pink, it really has done wonders for the development and research for breast cancer..

we hosted them in 2017 on a thur night. in 2015, it was a thur night game too..

In 2013, we had them on a Saturday at home. We lost. I don't recall that game though..

3 concessions Pitt made when joining the ACC

- All UNC home games must be played on Thursday

- All VT home games must be played on Thursday

- All other kick times must be at 1PM or earlier

I can’t believe they would schedule games at the same time? How hard is that??? Just poor on the Steelers fault for not fighting this.

Pitt should seek a 6 o'clock K.O or something. I would head to the game and then back to the bar to watch the nfl, heck might even stay in town that night.
Think ESPN will allow this ? They run the world with Disney don't they ?

I have a feeling Pitt may ask to move it to Friday. Pitt has never played a Friday home game due to HS football but the WPIAL sucks now and the Steeler conflict might make it make sense.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Going up against the Steelers for attendance or TV ratings, or commercial dollars seems to be a loss very everyone to me.

Reactions: Chaos
I’m assuming ESPN will come to this realization.

Interesting that the Thursday NFL games are on Fox. Would ESPN back down in the competition for ratings? How many in the UNC footprint or the ACC footprint would watch NCAA over NFL?

How many on here would watch the Steelers on TV over attending the home Pitt game? This would affect the casual "walk-up" crowd, but not getting much of that for UNC on Thursday night. Who would watch Pitt over the Steelers on TV if you are out of town? I would watch Pitt because I find it difficult to actually watch an entire NFL game anymore. It just doesn't entertain my anymore.

Interesting that the Thursday NFL games are on Fox. Would ESPN back down in the competition for ratings? How many in the UNC footprint or the ACC footprint would watch NCAA over NFL?

How many on here would watch the Steelers on TV over attending the home Pitt game? This would affect the casual "walk-up" crowd, but not getting much of that for UNC on Thursday night. Who would watch Pitt over the Steelers on TV if you are out of town? I would watch Pitt because I find it difficult to actually watch an entire NFL game anymore. It just doesn't entertain my anymore.
I watch almost no NFL, so it would be Pitt for me.

I think the ratings would still be fairly strong in my area for UNC, vs, for them, a random NFL game on.

Reactions: USN_Panther
I have a feeling Pitt may ask to move it to Friday. Pitt has never played a Friday home game due to HS football but the WPIAL sucks now and the Steeler conflict might make it make sense.
Dang. I think I’d prefer a fri night game over a Thur night game. Leave work early to hit HH and roll into Heinz 4 hours later and stilll have 2 day weekend after a night of celebrating a pitt win.

I could do that.

I would watch the Steelers on TV over going to a Pitt game. It's a late night and I'm of the opposite opinion. I find NFL games highly entertaining with at least 5-6 games per week coming down to the final minutes to decide the outcome. College is becoming less competitive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT