ADVERTISEMENT

OK. But who would you hire?

You do realize Dixon would have additional players from the last 2 Recruiting classes. Possible Jucos, Fr, and Grad Transfers. I can guarantee you Dixon would have won more conference and overall games than Stallings, and his team would beat this one.

Is that really saying much?

I will throw out a few mid major coaches.

Eric Musselman
TJ Otzelberger
Steve Forbes
Nathan Davis
Joe Dooley

-Steve Forbes is in interesting choice. Was a Powerhouse coach in the NJCAA. Was part of turnaround stories with good recruiting at Texas A&M, Tennessee, and Wichita State. Went to the 1st round of the NCAA's last year as a 2nd year head Coach. 14-4 this year so far, undefeated in conference, and almost beat Xavier and blew a 22 point lead against them. Possible / Probable back to back NCAA Tournaments. Looks like has decent upside.

-Looks like he can recruit. And Coach. Let's see how he finishes this year, but if he beats up on the conference again, schools will start calling him.

-Joe Dooley would be interesting. From West Orange NJ and from Powerhouse St. Benedicts. That is a Northeast recruiting tie-in. Back to Back NCAA Tournaments at Florida Gulf Coast.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
BC
0-18
2-16
8-10????

This is a very similar path that Pitt may be on. What's helped them is the development of the 2 Carolina kids, Bowman and Robinson developing into all-ACC type talent.

For Pitt, best case is:

2-16
7-11
10-8

Worst case is
0-18
2-16
4-14
Yeah, that isn't a realistic best case. Sadly the worst case could be worse, too.

Not right now but maybe guys develop. Next year's class isnt good. Badly needs a really good, Top 20ish 2019 class. Could help save his job.
I feel like the bar keeps moving. Before it was the 2018 class.

Right but I feel that Stallings did manage to bring in 4 ACC frosh out of 7 and there's a chance that Brown or Peace develop into one. So I think he gets next year but the year after could depend on his 2019 class. For example, lets say we go 2-16 next year but he has 2 4-stars lined up and the 16th best class lined up, I might give him one more year

You do realize Dixon would have additional players from the last 2 Recruiting classes. Possible Jucos, Fr, and Grad Transfers. I can guarantee you Dixon would have won more conference and overall games than Stallings, and his team would beat this one.
Where you watching what players he brought in lately ? It’s not that hard to have a better record especially with last years team , but I wouldn’t assume he would’ve brought in better players for this season .

Last edited:
Right but I feel that Stallings did manage to bring in 4 ACC frosh out of 7 and there's a chance that Brown or Peace develop into one. So I think he gets next year but the year after could depend on his 2019 class. For example, lets say we go 2-16 next year but he has 2 4-stars lined up and the 16th best class lined up, I might give him one more year
Why not? :rolleyes:

I feel like the bar keeps moving. Before it was the 2018 class.
pitt-girl is exactly right. The troll brigade led by the merry little seanmiller lover is in its glory with Pitt playing to a MAC level and what they want most os for Stallings to remain and Pitt remaon the loser it is right now. Next year the seanmiller lover will tell us the 2020 class has to improve. Thats what he wants unless of course Pitt hires Pitino so we can be dragged into scandals and slime.

I've always liked Kelvin Sampson. Won big at Wash St of all places. Won big at OU. Was winning big at IU then hit with the show-cause for telephoning recruits too much (the horror). When he got the job at the graveyard that is Houston, I thought it would only be a matter of time until they are a major player in the American. I had no idea how they were doing this year. Just looked: 14-3, 4-1. That's about right. He can coach, he can recruit, and he's not afraid to get his hands a little dirty. He'd be near the top of my list.

The only way you dump Stallings after year two is make sure you have an improvement locked up
before you do so. The worst thing Pitt has done is fire coaches and then start looking for a replacement.
i.e. Wanny disaster. The same for Dixon but to a lesser extent.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
The only way you dump Stallings after year two is make sure you have an improvement locked up
before you do so. The worst thing Pitt has done is fire coaches and then start looking for a replacement.
There’s a good chance we will win zero conference games. Will it really be that hard to find a “improvement “? ;)

There’s a good chance we will win zero conference games. Will it really be that hard to find a “improvement “? ;)

Probably not, but you don't do it unless you have someone better locked up.

I've always liked Kelvin Sampson. Won big at Wash St of all places. Won big at OU. Was winning big at IU then hit with the show-cause for telephoning recruits too much (the horror). When he got the job at the graveyard that is Houston, I thought it would only be a matter of time until they are a major player in the American. I had no idea how they were doing this year. Just looked: 14-3, 4-1. That's about right. He can coach, he can recruit, and he's not afraid to get his hands a little dirty. He'd be near the top of my list.
No No No. The End.

(And for the record he committed major recruiting violations at OU and IU. The guy is a cheater and cheaters never change. It is just a matter of time before he gets caught again.)

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
People should boycott Stallings and Nutting.
Well I think Pitt fans are already boycotting Stalling how much worse could attendance get?
Mrs Buffett and I went to a few Pirates games at the end of the season and it looked like another boycott in progress there as well.

"it's five o'clcock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go Pitt & CSU Rams!

I'm sure Pitt will be able to Dig Up Someone to coach Pitt basketball how about John Wooden??? symbols & drumsssss??

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go Pitt & CSU Rams!

Reactions: Fsgolfdr
Heather lyke should do what the Knicks did the movie Eddie. Pull a fan out the stands to coach every night. You kill 2 birds with that idea. If you're going lose every game might as well do it pinache and Attendance would skyrocket

Reactions: Haydman
IF both Men's and Women's team go winless in the ACC then I don't believe either coach will be back.

IF both Men's and Women's team go winless in the ACC then I don't believe either coach will be back.
The women already won a game, but in non-revenue sports, I don't think a buyout should ever be paid unless you have an absolute homerun hire.

Steve dumped Wanny and the football team was still 6-6 for multiple coaches beyond him. The transition from 3 tournaments in 4 years to 0-18 is far worse than what the football team endured.

We replaced both Graham and Chryst and aren’t any worse for it. People saying nobody will take this basketball job are silly. Graham was an up and comer and Chryst and Narduzzi were both established, successful assistants, and that’s exactly what Lyke should be researching right now.

Nope, not me. He can't coach! Why give him a chance with a couple of 4 stars? There isn't a coach in the entire country that does less with more than Stallings. Let the next coach take those kids and work with them. Stallings would ruin them.

For me, the ONLY way Stallings can save his job is to win 4 league games THIS year and at least 6 next year. If he doesn't have those 10 league wins in 2 years, he's gone. He's making too much money to be winless or close to winless in any year. And those are bare minimums.

Reactions: PittFathead87
For me, the ONLY way Stallings can save his job is to win 4 league games THIS year and at least 6 next year. If he doesn't have those 10 league wins in 2 years, he's gone. He's making too much money to be winless or close to winless in any year. And those are bare minimums.

-Who on earth keeps a coach that finishes 0-18 in conference play with zero recruiting going on? On top of the fact we have zero fan support, none, nada, zilch, rock bottom, RIP buried in the dirt fan support for this current Coach?

-If Pitt goes 0-18 in conference play and loses every game by double digits and Stallings isnt fired, it will be official that we are the new clowns of college sports, replacing Rutgers.

The women already won a game, but in non-revenue sports, I don't think a buyout should ever be paid unless you have an absolute homerun hire.

She has three years left on her contract, at a price that makes it prohibitive to fire someone in a sport that at the best of times doesn't even come close to breaking even.

Reactions: Jpripper88

-Who on earth keeps a coach that finishes 0-18 in conference play with zero recruiting going on? On top of the fact we have zero fan support, none, nada, zilch, rock bottom, RIP buried in the dirt fan support for this current Coach?

-If Pitt goes 0-18 in conference play and loses every game by double digits and Stallings isnt fired, it will be official that we are the new clowns of college sports, replacing Rutgers.

Next year’s class is more concerning to me than 0-18.

Steve dumped Wanny and the football team was still 6-6 for multiple coaches beyond him. The transition from 3 tournaments in 4 years to 0-18 is far worse than what the football team endured.

We replaced both Graham and Chryst and aren’t any worse for it. People saying nobody will take this basketball job are silly. Graham was an up and comer and Chryst and Narduzzi were both established, successful assistants, and that’s exactly what Lyke should be researching right now.
Of course they’ll be able to find someone , but not anyone you’d want .

Yea but for once, Id like to get a bunch of NBA guys in here to see if they can win despite Romar or Gottfried's coaching
Exactly, Or Pitino, take the cheaters too, why do we care? What do fans get out of teams we watch on TV following all the rules? NOTHING, that's what. I'd relish a vacated Final 4 appearance!

Exactly, Or Pitino, take the cheaters too, why do we care? What do fans get out of teams we watch on TV following all the rules? NOTHING, that's what. I'd relish a vacated Final 4 appearance!
Everybody cheats, just to varying degrees.

Reactions: BFo8
Scandals and slime is better than what we have now, I'd GLADLY trade places with Louisville and UNC.
Nobody even cares about what happened at Louisville, UNC, or Arizona. We get more negative publicity from the media for opening the door for Dixon to leave. Find a coach who can win and play by the same rules as everyone else.

Reactions: Pitt79
Nobody even cares about what happened at Louisville, UNC, or Arizona. We get more negative publicity from the media for opening the door for Dixon to leave. Find a coach who can win and play by the same rules as everyone else.
Exactly, UNC had mountains of academic cheating scandals the last few years, they are still at the podium accepting trophies and laughing all the way to the bank! And Stallings was right! The same players that where paid $100K to go to Louisville are still on the floor kicking our feeble goody two shoes asses as we suck in order to "follow the rules". Pitt= SAP/SUCKER University!

There are plenty of models to follow in college basketball that are more equivalent to Pitt than "Pitino!!!!" How many cheating scandals have Villanova, Virginia, Wichita State, WVU, or Xavier had lately? These are some of the top teams outside of the schools (Duke/UNC/Kentucky) we'll never be able to match firepower wise.

Wright had never had a hint of a real scandal in his very winning tenure. Neither did Dixon, and both of their athletes graduate at a good rate and stay out of jail too.

If some of the programs above are doing some illegal benefits, at least they're smart enough not to get caught, and smart enough to keep the FBI from their door. Why hire one of these guys who has been caught before, and will clearly be under scrutiny again?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT