ADVERTISEMENT

Olympic Sports

AZULDOS

Walk-on
Jul 6, 2001
Seeing what is being dropped I think these conferences need to work together and allow each other to regionalize in separate conferences. Of course maintain your big money marquee sports but allow for closer games/rivals. Allow Pitt baseball to play in a conference made up of "local" D1 schools. You may have to tinker with tournaments but making these sports bus leagues would do a lot to save money and not cause scholarships to be lost. Also attendance could not be any worse. I.E. BaseballSoftball

Pitt
WVU
Penn State
YSU
Kent
Akron
Also could have or could give local NEC/A10 Duquesne, RMU SFU a chance to start/restart teams. Not sure this would affect the conferences bottom line. your not touching the true and only Money makers. Were talking High school like bus trips back and forth. Of course some Olympic sports are fewer and far between and you have to make do. Some mid major may be headed in this direction, Would like to see it before a sport is dropped.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Penn State ends up dropping baseball. Like WVU, they share a huge facility (far too big for most college teams outside of the SEC, PAC 12 and some of the ACC) with a local short-season minor league team that just got put on the MILB chopping block. If the minor league team ends up going under, I can’t imagine they’d pay to maintain a professional caliber stadium for a team that hasn’t been good since the Korean War era. Especially since the B1G already has at least one team who doesn’t sponsor baseball.

College baseball is looking more and more like the season will start later in the year and the college world series likely being played in July.

The idea is (was) to level the playing field somewhat. Now with Covid, its simply to give schools a chance to survive.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Penn State ends up dropping baseball. Like WVU, they share a huge facility (far too big for most college teams outside of the SEC, PAC 12 and some of the ACC) with a local short-season minor league team that just got put on the MILB chopping block. If the minor league team ends up going under, I can’t imagine they’d pay to maintain a professional caliber stadium for a team that hasn’t been good since the Korean War era. Especially since the B1G already has at least one team who doesn’t sponsor baseball.

I don’t think they would have built the stadium in one of the football parking lots if they were that iffy about baseball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT