ADVERTISEMENT

On campus stadium and Olympic sports

jivecat

Senior
Jul 5, 2001
Luke has made some huge strides regarding Olympic sports and more specifically women’s sports. I am not talking about success in victories but the appearance that PITT supports its women’s athletics as much as men’s. Allegedly, PITT was admonished by the ACC for its less than adequate support of women athletics. Many of the upgrades of facilities are the attempt to increase the allure to top notch women athletes and I feel it will work.

Now for the bad news.

There was legitimate interest on PITT’s part to build an on campus stadium. Unfortunately, it was tabled as the need for other athletic upgrades were sorely needed and championed by the ACC. I was told the earliest they would consider construction of an On Campus stadium would be 2027.

Luke has made some huge strides regarding Olympic sports and more specifically women’s sports. I am not talking about success in victories but the appearance that PITT supports its women’s athletics as much as men’s. Allegedly, PITT was admonished by the ACC for its less than adequate support of women athletics. Many of the upgrades of facilities are the attempt to increase the allure to top notch women athletes and I feel it will work.

Now for the bad news.

There was legitimate interest on PITT’s part to build an on campus stadium. Unfortunately, it was tabled as the need for other athletic upgrades were sorely needed and championed by the ACC. I was told the earliest they would consider construction of an On Campus stadium would be 2027.
by 2027, Oakland will be nothing but hospitals, chain hotels and maybe the cathedral of learning. maybe.

Now for the bad news.

Considering 2027

Ie
Never........lol

This can mean only one thing ......approximately 3500 daily posts by SMF/H2P pointing out the location of the new football field.

Last edited:
2027, that's only nine years away and Heinz Field will be 26 years old which by then will be old for an NFL stadium. After 17 years It's already in the middle in terms of age of all NFL stadiums.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
The Steelers could be searching for a new home by then ....the NFL venues coming online already make Heinz seem outdated by decades.

Good move by Pitt would be to acquire Heinz....retrofit it to a suitable stadium and place student space inside the infrastructure....it has a huge footprint.

It could be U of Pgh North Shore Campus.

An on-campus stadium.

2027, that's only nine years away and Heinz Field will be 26 years old which by then will be old for an NFL stadium. After 17 years It's already in the middle in terms of age of all NFL stadiums.

IF 2027 is indeed accurate, this is good news. The alternative is an on campus stadium is off the board indefinitely.

And 2027 is reflective of how incredibly poor our fundraising has been for way too long.

With that in mind, the time to start raising $$$ for a project this big is not tomorrow but right now.

Reactions: Dr. von Yinzer
Sounds like a long time but it's only nine years away. That is probably about the time when the Steelers will start chirping about a new stadium.

Reactions: Saboteur

Now for the bad news.

"There was legitimate interest on PITT’s part to build an on campus stadium. Unfortunately, it was tabled as the need for other athletic upgrades were sorely needed and championed by the ACC. I was told the earliest they would consider construction of an On Campus stadium would be 2027."

Bullseye! This is what I've saying for the last 4 years concerning an on campus stadium. It is low on the priority list. In order to compete in the ACC, Pitt needs to upgrade all their facilities. People need to give the on campus drumbeat a rest for the next ten years...

"There was legitimate interest on PITT’s part to build an on campus stadium. Unfortunately, it was tabled as the need for other athletic upgrades were sorely needed and championed by the ACC. I was told the earliest they would consider construction of an On Campus stadium would be 2027."

Bullseye! This is what I've saying for the last 4 years concerning an on campus stadium. It is low on the priority list. In order to compete in the ACC, Pitt needs to upgrade all their facilities. People need to give the on campus drumbeat a rest for the next ten years...

People need to give the on campus drumbeat a rest for the next ten years...

You kidding SMF or H2P will be here in 10 minutes.

If that

Reactions: ThePanthers
Imagine how much the Cathedral would be worth to someone like Marriott so they could put rooms with great views on some of upper floors! It would easily pay for the move to Greensburg!
you joke, it's only a matter of time. that or an ambulatory surgery center for upmc.

People need to give the on campus drumbeat a rest for the next ten years...

You kidding SMF or H2P will be here in 10 minutes.

If that

Wrong. It has been 35 minutes!

I have said time and time again that Pitt isn't committed enough to build a stadium, even though I believe that they should. I have also said that Pitt will use the ACC revenue to pump up the non revenue sports, because that's easier.

I'm sure that every single ACC program is perfectly content with Pitt keeping football mediocre.

The Steelers could be searching for a new home by then ....the NFL venues coming online already make Heinz seem outdated by decades.

Good move by Pitt would be to acquire Heinz....retrofit it to a suitable stadium and place student space inside the infrastructure....it has a huge footprint.

It could be U of Pgh North Shore Campus.

An on-campus stadium.
That is a really good idea.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Heyy I am all for Pitt playing games in Greensburg! Only a nice 10 min. Drive to games then with less of the city hassel haha.

I was actually thinking, lets say Heinz gets to the point where they need a replacement. Where do they put it? Demolish Heinz and have the Steelers play in PNC for a year or 2? Or go the suburban route like several other cities in recent years. Hope its the former.

you joke, it's only a matter of time. that or an ambulatory surgery center for upmc.
You keep the Cathedral as the Oakland Campus....after forced out to Gbg or Jtown.

That way the stationary and BB Jerseys can keep the water mark.

I was actually thinking, lets say Heinz gets to the point where they need a replacement. Where do they put it? Demolish Heinz and have the Steelers play in PNC for a year or 2? Or go the suburban route like several other cities in recent years. Hope its the former.

Pittsburgh Mills. I kid but it does make a little sense once they tear the mall out. Big dedicated interchange on an improved 28 for nothing.

Or let the Rooneys move to Vegas, sell the joint to Pitt for $1.00

Wrong. It has been 35 minutes!

I have said time and time again that Pitt isn't committed enough to build a stadium, even though I believe that they should. I have also said that Pitt will use the ACC revenue to pump up the non revenue sports, because that's easier.

I'm sure that every single ACC program is perfectly content with Pitt keeping football mediocre.
And we will still get plans from UC/N/E/S/W whatever, Temple, etc etc for most of the next 3500 days from you two arguing for this, even after you have it straight from the Boss

No on campus stadium!!!!!

Buckle up and enjoy the next 10 years looking at new sites.

I'd imagine it'd be. Only way would probably be if they don't want the hassle with the SEA. Besides, I've always wanted to see what football game at PNC would look like. :) We'll see.

Reactions: HunterHemsley
If this is how it played out, it's exactly how I'd want it. Smart by Lyke. There's bigger needs to address right now that Victory Heights will fix. You got just under 10 years to start putting a plan together, figuring out where it'd go, logistics, etc.

Imagine how much the Cathedral would be worth to someone like Marriott so they could put rooms with great views on some of upper floors! It would easily pay for the move to Greensburg!
I have been thinking about this idea as well. If the City of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County will not help Pitt build a new stadium by forking up some money, then Pitt should take its main campus and move it out of Oakland and Allegheny County to Greensburg. I wonder what the City of Greensburg and Westmoreland County could do with an extra 100 million dollars a year that a move like that would generate.

Reactions: paulbl99
I have been thinking about this idea as well. If the City of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County will not help Pitt build a new stadium by forking up some money, then Pitt should take its main campus and move it out of Oakland and Allegheny County to Greensburg. I wonder what the City of Greensburg and Westmoreland County could do with an extra 100 million dollars a year that a move like that would generate.
Greensburg Pitt is really nice.....
Out of the cramped , overcrowded closing in Corps , Hotels and Hospitals, and slums of Oakland.....

Toward the 22nd Century Campus of the Future.

Lol

I believe this is now something like 347 people in charge at Pitt that have said no to an on campus stadium and yet it hasn't stopped them yet. So you know what that means to some of these folks.

Bring on number 348!
this can mean only ONE thing.......

SMF is now photo shopping a digital map of South Oakland with GPS accurate drawings of a new Football Field squeezed in Pgh city block by city block....
Numbers to come ASAP

This definitely puts a fork into that one posters plans who had us building a stadium where the oc lot is. I thought the pitt higher ups had this locked down at Meat and Potatoes over some martinis last year.

Reactions: paulbl99
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT