ADVERTISEMENT

On campus stadium and Olympic sports

I have been thinking about this idea as well. If the City of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County will not help Pitt build a new stadium by forking up some money, then Pitt should take its main campus and move it out of Oakland and Allegheny County to Greensburg. I wonder what the City of Greensburg and Westmoreland County could do with an extra 100 million dollars a year that a move like that would generate.
Perhaps
Hempfield Township could form its own police department.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I was actually thinking, lets say Heinz gets to the point where they need a replacement. Where do they put it? Demolish Heinz and have the Steelers play in PNC for a year or 2? Or go the suburban route like several other cities in recent years. Hope its the former.

Why would Heinz Field be demolished before the new stadium is open for business?

Heinz has another 20 years minimum, more likely 30. It’s a lifetime away. You guys really worried about pitt football’s home field in 2038?

Heinz has another 20 years minimum, more likely 30. It’s a lifetime away. You guys really worried about pitt football’s home field in 2038?
Oh yeah???
It already has been badly left in the dust by the new gen stadiums...

If Rooney is serious about bringing a SB to Pgh in honor of The Old Man and his dad.....

That place doesn’t have 10 yrs as their home.............

Oh yeah???
It already has been badly left in the dust by the new gen stadiums...

If Rooney is serious about bringing a SB to Pgh in honor of The Old Man and his dad.....

That place doesn’t have 10 yrs as their home.............
No super bowl is coming to Pittsburgh no matter how nice our stadium is. Stop with this nonsense. Heinz Field was left in the dust the day it opened.

It’s here for 20+ years, let the next generation worry about where pitt will be playing in 2040

No super bowl is coming to Pittsburgh no matter how nice our stadium is. Stop with this nonsense. Heinz Field was left in the dust the day it opened.

It’s here for 20+ years, let the next generation worry about where pitt will be playing in 2040
You must not have seen the past 10 or so stadiums just opened.

There’s pix of them and yes they do leave Heinz in the dust.

The SB has been in Minnie and Detroit.

Last edited:
Reactions: bwh05

Get a clue
I agree, they leave Heinz Field in the dust, I’m not arguing. It was a below avg stadium the day it was opened. Doesn’t change the fact it’s heres, it’s our and it will be for 2+ decades.

Last edited:
I agree they leave Heinz Field in the dust I’m not arguing
Rooney has said he wants a SB

The NFL said no

They want a bigger stadium and possibly a roof; so their showcase game is not played in an ice storm or blizzard

Jeez I’m just speculating based on that info what is wrong with that....

Rooney has said he wants a SB

The NFL said no

They want a bigger stadium and possibly a roof; so their showcase game is not played in an ice storm or blizzard

Jeez I’m just speculating based on that info what is wrong with that....
Nothing wrong my man, we are just talking. I don’t see us doing anything drastic with regards to a new stadium, that’s all. I could be wrong, it wouldn’t be the first time.

I just get really annoyed with the talk about building a stadium in wash co or butler/cranberry. These posters that vomit this nonsense irritates the hell out of me. Not really sure why to be honest.

Last edited:

Get a clue
Ford Field in Detroit has the atmosphere of Century III Mall and it reminds me of Three Rivers with how far the seats are from the field.

The Rooney's understand the long con and will milk the taxpayers every few years for upgrades and things like they did to the end zone section last year. No municipality in the region has the money to lure the Steelers away from the North Side, remember Las Vegas just gave the Raiders $750 million for their stadium so that's the new starting point. With the Jacksonville Jaguars owner buying Wembley Stadium and most likely moving the Jags there in a few years the NFL won't have anywhere left for teams to threaten to move to, the NFL isn't going back to St. Louis. San Diego, Oakland or Jacksonville.

Be ready for the Rooney's asking for money to replace the Great Hall with a Steeler Hall of Fame that would be open to the public year round

Last edited:
Ford Field in Detroit has the atmosphere of Century III Mall and it reminds me of Three Rivers with how far the seats are from the field.

The Rooney's understand the long con and will milk the taxpayers every few years for upgrades and things like they did to the end zone section last year. No municipality in the region the money to lure the Steelers away from the North Side, remember Las Vegas just gave the Raiders $750 million for their stadium so that's the new starting point. With the Jacksonville Jaguars owner buying Wembley Stadium and most likely moving the Jags there in a few years the NFL won't have anywhere left for teams to threaten to move to, the NFL isn't going back to St. Louis. San Diego, Oakland or Jacksonville.

Be ready for the Rooney's asking for money to replace the Great Hall with a Steeler Hall of Fame that would be open to the public year round
Good points.....

AND There in lies the rub...the Steelers et al did a really good job of building a very nice stadium for what is relative peanuts...

But where does the Billion come from for a new one today? Say the Steelers kick in 250M which is hard to believe they would....

No city county or state money right?

Maybe AMAZON!!!

Kickin seed money and they then build a year round venue for NFL games, and anything else they can plan in a complex their 50K will go to .....

Last edited:

The Rooney's understand the long con and will milk the taxpayers every few years for upgrades and things like they did to the end zone section last year. No municipality in the region the money to lure the Steelers away from the North Side, remember Las Vegas just gave the Raiders $750 million for their stadium so that's the new starting point. With the Jacksonville Jaguars owner buying Wembley Stadium and most likely moving the Jags there in a few years the NFL won't have anywhere left for teams to threaten to move to, the NFL isn't going back to St. Louis. San Diego, Oakland or Jacksonville.

Toronto?

I hate this ''on campus stadium talk" because it's just speculation of something that might never happen, but.... How about that area where they have the soccer and baseball fields? How about tear that down, and put in there a 40K seat, multipurpose facility with moving seats, that you could configure for football, soccer, baseball, softball all the outdoor sports?

I hate this ''on campus stadium talk" because it's just speculation of something that might never happen, but.... How about that area where they have the soccer and baseball fields? How about tear that down, and put in there a 40K seat, multipurpose facility with moving seats, that you could configure for football, soccer, baseball, softball all the outdoor sports?
they just built all that up, are adding to the soccer facility. In hindsight, that spot would have been perfect prior to them building the fields. I've said this for years, tear out the ghetto housing that was there and build a stadium. they at least did the first part, to their credit.

WHile im at just pushing eminent domain on people's homes, I say we tear up Terrace Village, tell em they got 90 days, write em all a nice check and take over that land for a stadium. tons of land down there once you illegally steal private property and build up a stadium there, maybe even put in a nice sports bar for me to get my drank on pre game. sounds harsh I know but this is a college campus, not a housing community, get out and close the door behind you..

Last edited:
they just built all that up, are adding to the soccer facility. In hindsight, that spot would have been perfect prior to them building the fields. I've said this for years, tear out the ghetto housing that was there and build a stadium. they at least did the first part, to their credit.

WHile im at just pushing eminent domain on people's homes, I say we tear up Terrace Village, tell em they got 90 days, write em all a nice check and take over that land for a stadium. tons of land down there once you illegally steal private property and build up a stadium there, maybe even put in a nice sports bar for me to get my drank on pre game. sounds harsh I know but this is a college campus, not a housing community, get out and close the door behind you..

There was actually talk about using that land and taking down the Cost center for a stadium. It would have provided a great view of the city. The biggest “current” issue is the VA.....,BUT don’t be surprised if the VA is not there in 8 years. PITTis very interested.

Any talk of a new stadium for the Steelers must include what football will look like in 10, 20,25 years

The NFL recently has owned Sundays in America. Will that be true when the rooney's want a new stadium?

Does the youth of America look at the NFL like middle aged fans?

Does the threat of CTE / concussions shrink the popularity of the sport? Does technology make going to a game less appealing?

Does the leadership of the league continue to alienate fans with their mind numbing decisions on punishments.....politics......rules???

I believe a sound argument can be made that football in America has peaked. Maybe not in places like Pittsburgh or green bay or Tuscaloosa or south bend.....but overall the trend is down ....not up.

I know not that long ago put a good bit of money (which surprised me) into the VA Hospital as it was opened in 1954. I could see the VA wanting a newer facility somewhere else with more space. I used to take my father-in-law there for his appointments and when he was in there it and his hospital room had a great view of Pitt Stadium.

I don't think there would be a lot of complaints if the VA found or built a new facility for our veterans elsewhere. Who would begrudge them a new facility? I could easily see it happening.

I know not that long ago put a good bit of money (which surprised me) into the VA Hospital as it was opened in 1954. I could see the VA wanting a newer facility somewhere else with more space. I used to take my father-in-law there for his appointments and when he was in there it and his hospital room had a great view of Pitt Stadium.

I don't think there would be a lot of complaints if the VA found or built a new facility for our veterans elsewhere. Who would begrudge them a new facility? I could easily see it happening.
It’s the least accessible place in the city to get to. our veterans deserve better than having to drive to Oakland for medical appointments

It’s the least accessible place in the city to get to. our veterans deserve better than having to drive to Oakland for medical appointments
Our veterans deserve to go to the same doctors and hospitals as the rest of the country does.

The VA system should be dismantled and a "Medicare like" system put in it's place. By that I mean, the Vets should be able to go to their doctor's of choice and still have it billed to the Fed. Govt.

The current system is a disgrace in most places in this country.

There was actually talk about using that land and taking down the Cost center for a stadium. It would have provided a great view of the city. The biggest “current” issue is the VA.....,BUT don’t be surprised if the VA is not there in 8 years. PITTis very interested.
If you want an on-campus stadium, this would be your ideal scenario. Honestly, it's probably the only way that Pitt Football comes back to Oakland. It's on top of the hill located right next to all the other athletic facilities, the land is big enough, and you wouldn't have to replace any university-owned infrastructure. At most, you're looking at Sutherland Hall and some of the frat houses; Might have to buy out Brackenridge/Avalon, too. You'd have a great view of the Cathedral from there and would become the final piece in Victory Heights.

The only negative is that you'd have to work with the city to extend/re-route a lot of roads to make the accessibility better.

No let’s get out of the shithole that’s Heinz foisted on Pitt by the Rooney’s and get back to campus where Pitt FB belongs!

Reactions: Swervin27
http://fm.pitt.edu/master-plan-2018

This link has a lot of good info at what the people who're working with Pitt are looking at regarding the University's master plan (separate from the athletic master plan). There's several times where football comes up, specifically it being a weakness that it's off campus. One of the bullet points listed under "opportunities" on one of the documents is how to bring football closer to campus. This is a result of many students and community members expressing this concern. Who knows, the University may have a plan for football in Oakland when the master plan in unveiled.

The newer VA facilities in Aspinwall are tremendous. The facilities in Oakland are OK but there is only so much they can do with an old hospital tower. The care the veterans receive there is very good though, regardless of facilities.

Regarding the Rooney's willingness to put money into a new, state of the art facility...it will never happen. They'll either need to live with average facilities or prepare to battle the county for almost all of the funds since we all know they won't put up much money.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
Our veterans deserve to go to the same doctors and hospitals as the rest of the country does.

The VA system should be dismantled and a "Medicare like" system put in it's place. By that I mean, the Vets should be able to go to their doctor's of choice and still have it billed to the Fed. Govt.

Agreed!

Simple solution!

Provide Vets eligible for care a Card which permits them to visit the doctor, hospital, or pharmacy of their choice at no cost to the Veteran. No deductible, no co pays, no donut holes etc..

Their care should be atleast as good as the care we offer the average illegal immigrant!

"it's five o'clock somewhere"

Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Last edited:

It’s government run and delivered...what do you expect.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
Imagine how much the Cathedral would be worth to someone like Marriott so they could put rooms with great views on some of upper floors! It would easily pay for the move to Greensburg!
I'd take it apart, block by block, and move it to Kennywood. Imagine the new attraction: "The Haunted Cathedral".

This won't happen now that they have plans for the OC Lot, but has anyone seen these renderings yet? It's a proposed stadium that'd be where the Cost and OC Lot is right now. Interesting.
Pitt%2BStadium%2B3.jpg

Pitt%2BStadium%2B2.jpg

Pitt%2BStadium%2B4.jpg

Reactions: HailtoPitt
"There was legitimate interest on PITT’s part to build an on campus stadium. Unfortunately, it was tabled as the need for other athletic upgrades were sorely needed and championed by the ACC. I was told the earliest they would consider construction of an On Campus stadium would be 2027."

Bullseye! This is what I've saying for the last 4 years concerning an on campus stadium. It is low on the priority list. In order to compete in the ACC, Pitt needs to upgrade all their facilities. People need to give the on campus drumbeat a rest for the next ten years...
What does “compete in the ACC” mean in practical terms? Being good in women’s volleyball or men’s soccer? Who cares? Why on earth would that take precedence over competing in football or men’s basketball?

Put some buildings next to it, and it would remind me of Nippert Stadium.
Nippert_Stadium%2C_September_2015.JPG
No kidding. I'd love to catch a night game there; Seems like it'd be an awesome atmosphere. From the looks of those concepts the Cost Center is still there, so you could connect it to the stadium and it could become the new indoor facility and practice field for Pitt Football.

Any talk of a new stadium for the Steelers must include what football will look like in 10, 20,25 years

The NFL recently has owned Sundays in America. Will that be true when the rooney's want a new stadium?

Does the youth of America look at the NFL like middle aged fans?

Does the threat of CTE / concussions shrink the popularity of the sport? Does technology make going to a game less appealing?

Does the leadership of the league continue to alienate fans with their mind numbing decisions on punishments.....politics......rules???

I believe a sound argument can be made that football in America has peaked. Maybe not in places like Pittsburgh or green bay or Tuscaloosa or south bend.....but overall the trend is down ....not up.

Yeah, I’ve heard that argument but I’m not so sure about that. The NFL just had a draft this past weekend and the news coming out of that event was topping all the sports shows, local newscasts, and national websites over the actual results of NBA and NHL playoff games and MLB regular-season games.

I’m sure participation is down and will continue to decline. However, I think anyone predicting the demise of the NFL or really the sport of football is really just guessing based on very limited information.

From the looks of those concepts the Cost Center is still there, so you could connect it to the stadium and it could become the new indoor facility and practice field for Pitt Football.

If someone thinks that you can build a full sized football stadium on that lot in that orientation and the Cost Center would still be there I can only surmise that person has never been on that site before or has no idea how much space a football stadium takes up. That's almost as bad as the crayon drawings our pal ZBT (or whatever his name was) came up with.

My personal opinion on this issue is that people are misunderstanding what happening here. I think they are conflating multiple issues and missing the forest for the trees.

I don’t see this as Pitt’s Olympic sports versus its football program. I think that’s the exact wrong way to look at this. Rather, I look at this announcement as the university’s first concrete step towards finally modernizing all of Pitt’s athletic facilities.

This facility they are talking about building next to the Cost Center is long overdue and I’m sure will be a jewel for the entire university.

I wholeheartedly and enthusiastically endorse this project.

However, we all know what this is going to lead to, right? I mean do we really think that all of these well-heeled people who want an on-campus stadium are going to contribute to the Olympic sports facilities project without extracting some promises in return?

No chance.

If anything, this will basically guarantee that an on or near campus stadium will be built in Oakland. Will it be built in the next five years? No, there is no chance of that happening. However, there was never any chance of that happening. However, will this spur the athletic department to start to look at viable locations to build a stadium and hopefully stimulate donors to help kickstart the fundraising for it? I don’t think there’s any question about that.

In other words, this is good news for people who love any of Pitt’s Olympic sports as well as for the people who love the football program, as well as for people like me who love all of the above, because you are all going to end up getting what you want.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
If someone thinks that you can build a full sized football stadium on that lot in that orientation and the Cost Center would still be there I can only surmise that person has never been on that site before or has no idea how much space a football stadium takes up. That's almost as bad as the crayon drawings our pal ZBT (or whatever his name was) came up with.
I don't know Joe, it sure looks like you can from the looks of that image. It'll never happen and who knows how much that stadium would hold, but it's at least doable.

Also, I don't think you can compare those renderings to the crayon mockups. Gotta give the person who came up with it some credit- was very creative in jamming a stadium in there.

Incidentally, the same logic that applies to the need to have a new wrestling or volleyball venue also applies to the football program.

On this message board, fans regularly spend all this time lamenting how WPIAL kids don’t properly respect the local university and how we have trouble recruiting against these big boys and we wonder how that could be?

I mean it doesn’t make any sense. Pittsburgh is a great city and the University of Pittsburgh is a great school – the No. 1 public university in the Northeast. Also, the Pittsburgh football program has an amazing history and his produced countless college and pro football Hall of Famers.

So, what could it be? Why don’t all of these local high school studs - some of whom are legacies- fully appreciate that fact like they seem to elsewhere?

Is it the urban campus? Is it the need to get away? Is it negative media coverage?

The answer is it probably depends on the player, but all those things probably hurt Pitt to varying degrees with some recruits.

However, I would argue that none of those things hurt the program more than the atmosphere at our home football games. I go to a lot of college football games each year – it’s a hobby.

I have to tell you from experience that among the Power Five schools, Pitt probably has the worst home atmosphere of any school in the country. It is a flat out mausoleum on many Saturdays.

Again, that is for many reasons. A big part of that is that Pitt’s fan base is aging. They did a horrific job of cultivating new fans over the years and they’re stuck with a lot of blue hairs pining for return to the glory days. You could thank Steve Pederson for that phenomenon.

I own 17 season tickets and it’s harder and harder for me to give those tickets away because some of the older gentlemen in our group can no longer comfortably walk up the steps every week. It’s just not worth it for them to even try to go watch a team the goes 6-6 every year and usually suffers an embarrassing loss or two along the way.

However, the main reason is the stadium is way, way too big for Pitt‘s needs. I don’t understand why this is so difficult for people to grasp?

Pitt can draw 40-45K fans to the game and it feels empty. That’s a shame because that’s a lot of people for college football program playing in a pro market. If they played right next-door at PNC Park, it would feel like the Reds@Bucs playoff game from a few years ago.

I think people thinking that if Pitt wins more, it is suddenly going to start magically drawing 60–65K people per game on a consistent basis are really whistling Dixie. I don’t think that’s very likely at all.

I think they need a smaller stadium – hopefully on or near the campus - where a crowd of 45K people feels like a event, rather than a glorified high school game.

A few years ago, I was at Louisville for a game when their stadium held just 42K fans. It was packed and it was awesome.

I was at Cincinnati for a game a few years ago and that stadium seats just 35K people. However, it was full and created a really cool and energetic atmosphere.

Recruits always talk about the atmosphere at the games. Do you really think they care if stadium seats 50K or 70K or 100K fans?

All they care about is what the atmosphere is like? Can they envision themselves playing their college football there?

The atmosphere at a Pitt home football game is on the whole horrific and it always will be as long as our supply far outpaces our demand.

This board

The AD, who I think is the boss just said no ....yet here we go with more stadiums....and this one to make this even more priceless would need to be 85 yards.

wowy zowy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT