ADVERTISEMENT

On campus stadium and Olympic sports

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS!!!

regrading a stadium on campus, it does not matter what I, you SMF, Paco or anyone thinks.

The most important issue is what do the recruits think. And i highly doubt that an on campus stadium....for kids that are difference makers with NFL aspirations, dont give a rat's ass care where the stadium is located.

As long as it is filled.

Legion Field in Birmingham is a dump. If Bama played their home games there.....90 minutes from campus it would sell out every game and recruits would be begging for the chance to play their home games there.

You dopes that think a new stadium on campus makes us CFP contenders, I will be including the following post in every thread;

"the problem is not Heinz Field. The problem is a half empty Heinz Field".

Please; for the love of God, can we end these mind numbingly stupid discussions about this complete and utter pipe dream?

Please; for the love of God, can we end these mind numbingly stupid discussions about this complete and utter pipe dream?
^^^^this^^^^

The Million-Man Post has just started however.
Lyke killed the in Oakland stadium just days ago but the beat goes on.........

one of those threads like the Penguins thread needs to start with the running whining about a football field in Oakland set in one place.

I’d check in every couple months to see if SMF OR H2P have hit 10,000

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS!!!

regrading a stadium on campus, it does not matter what I, you SMF, Paco or anyone thinks.

The most important issue is what do the recruits think. And i highly doubt that an on campus stadium....for kids that are difference makers with NFL aspirations, dont give a rat's ass care where the stadium is located.

As long as it is filled.

Legion Field in Birmingham is a dump. If Bama played their home games there.....90 minutes from campus it would sell out every game and recruits would be begging for the chance to play their home games there.

You dopes that think a new stadium on campus makes us CFP contenders, I will be including the following post in every thread;

"the problem is not Heinz Field. The problem is a half empty Heinz Field".

What’s the bigger pipe dream: building a right-sized on campus stadium - like nearly all of your competitors have done - or to suddenly consistently start filling the current one after failing to do so in the previous two decades of its existence?

Last edited:
Reactions: HailToPitt725
I suppose our new baseball, soccer and softball facilities factored in on some small level. I also think our football tradition helped and the recent success of the men’s basketball program certainly didn’t hurt. Further, I’m sure Pitt’s academic profile played in our favor as well.

Pitt offers an attractive package for just about any conference.

However, I think the size of our media market is the primary reason Pitt was invited into the ACC. And when I say “the primary reason” I mean probably upwards of 75% of the decision was rooted in that fact.

The ACC has long openly talked of becoming the East Coast’s equivalent of the PAC-12 and you can’t do that without adding the two most heavily populated states in the Northeast and two of the top five largest states in the country.

For the record, despite saying all this, I wholeheartedly support this new project. It is definitely badly needed and it will almost certainly make a positive impact on the University of Pittsburgh‘s athletic program, which in turn positively impacts the mothership. I just happen to think that the same logic that applies to building these Olympic sports a new right-sized on campus facility also applies to the football program.

I am very confident that is the logic that will ultimately prevail here. The only variable is time.

Historical football pedigree and media markets certainly played a major part in the ACC inviting Pitt. No doubt that is true. Media market isn't everything though, otherwise Temple would be in a power conference. Likewise, if tradition was all that mattered, Boston College would never have been selected ahead of Pitt. Equally true is that if Pitt's facilities and athletic commitment in 2010 mirrored what it had been in 1996, it would have been 2003 all over again, because Pitt circa 1995-96 an absolute athletic mess with an extremely questionable commitment to improve itself. That said, even circa 2010, at the height of Wanny and Jamie resurgence, Pitt only managed to make itself an attractive package for the two power conferences that had no chance at poaching the other three. Let's not pretend Pitt is something that it is not.

Your logic about a stadium is more than flawed. The new complexes for Olympic sports aren't being done to "right size" competition venues for atmosphere. They can fold up bleachers for that. This is about replacing a 67-year-old, extremely outdated, cramped, and inadequate training, office, practice, equipment, and performance facility that serves a whopping 10 different athletic programs, not to mention providing facilities that have been completely missing for decades. How you make that leap of logic to the current football facilities is mind boggling. You know what right sizes Heinz Field better than anything else? Winning more. If Heinz is ever actually determined to be the detriment to success that so many stadium-obsessed people think it is, or if some unexpected pile of money falls from the sky, then we'll get a new football stadium. Just don't bet the house on it being contiguous with the current campus. Until then, enjoy Heinz.

Last edited:
What’s the bigger pipe dream: building a right-sized on campus stadium - like nearly all of your competitors have done - or to suddenly consistently start filling the current one after failing to do so in the previous two decades of its existence?

The former.....going away.

But I get your point.

Reactions: bubba31
If you want an on-campus stadium, this would be your ideal scenario. Honestly, it's probably the only way that Pitt Football comes back to Oakland. It's on top of the hill located right next to all the other athletic facilities, the land is big enough, and you wouldn't have to replace any university-owned infrastructure. At most, you're looking at Sutherland Hall and some of the frat houses; Might have to buy out Brackenridge/Avalon, too. You'd have a great view of the Cathedral from there and would become the final piece in Victory Heights.

The only negative is that you'd have to work with the city to extend/re-route a lot of roads to make the accessibility better.
There is a communication tower that needs to be relocated as well.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
my sense of value is lost as well. I saw an article, i'll try and find it, on a "T" extension to Oakland from downtown Pittsburgh and they gave an estimated cost of 2B. I read it and I realize that I don't get this land value at all. 2 Billion dollars?
I'm familiar with the project (or at least one of the proposals). The borer alone is a $900 million expense. Much of that project would be "cut and drop" which means they cordon off a section of Forbes, dig it up, build a section of the T, and then cover it up and move on to the next section. The real expense is in the time and labor it takes to re-line all the utilities under the street. There may also be an issue with vibration with nearby buildings in the uptown neighborhood. When The Rand Building was being built in Oakland, that project turned into a fiasco because the site prep damaged dozens of nearby buildings.

The north side...err shore is far more developed than the arena site.
The arena site just lost a subsidy (perhaps by design). Hell, take out the damn concrete, plant some grass and haul in some trees and make it a park.

The arena site is obviously behind schedule, but these things take years. They last that tax break from the state for lower income housing. They are going to adjust the plan now.

But those posters are saying the North Shore development is nil. That is not remotely true.

If you want an on-campus stadium, this would be your ideal scenario. Honestly, it's probably the only way that Pitt Football comes back to Oakland. It's on top of the hill located right next to all the other athletic facilities, the land is big enough, and you wouldn't have to replace any university-owned infrastructure. At most, you're looking at Sutherland Hall and some of the frat houses; Might have to buy out Brackenridge/Avalon, too. You'd have a great view of the Cathedral from there and would become the final piece in Victory Heights.

The only negative is that you'd have to work with the city to extend/re-route a lot of roads to make the accessibility better.
There is a communication tower that needs to be relocated as well.

I agree. Taking out the fraternity houses just makes sense. The stadium could be built into the side of the hill with an incredible view of the Cathedral. Luxury boxes and the majority of seats would be on the one side that would face the Cathedral. There is property already available and owned by the University. I don’t think the stadium itself could be any bigger than 43k.

I agree. Taking out the fraternity houses just makes sense. The stadium could be built into the side of the hill with an incredible view of the Cathedral. Luxury boxes and the majority of seats would be on the one side that would face the Cathedral. There is property already available and owned by the University. I don’t think the stadium itself could be any bigger than 43k.
This ain’t happening either......
Next

Reactions: ThePanthers
This ain’t happening either......
Next

Why? Part of the issue is looking for the perfect situation. That does not exist. With parking garages being built up top and some decent peripheral parking in the north Oakland area.....why can’t this happen? By my estimates, PITT needs approximately 12,000 parking spaces for game day and an improved route into south Oakland.

I have news for you. There is current real estate at PITT that is under utilized.

Why? Part of the issue is looking for the perfect situation. That does not exist. With parking garages being built up top and some decent peripheral parking in the north Oakland area.....why can’t this happen? By my estimates, PITT needs approximately 12,000 parking spaces for game day and an improved route into south Oakland.

I have news for you. There is current real estate at PITT that is under utilized.
I have news for you....a Stadium in the slums of OaklN or on the top of a nearly inaccessible hill.....ain’t gonna happen

As long as Lyke is around she’s smart enough to table it..... though that won’t work here

I have news for you....a Stadium in the slums of OaklN or on the top of a nearly inaccessible hill.....ain’t gonna happen

As long as Lyke is around she’s smart enough to table it..... though that won’t work here

You didn't go to Pitt. You have no right to speak badly about Oakland. Stop with that slum crap. We know the city scares people like you. Just shut up about it. Go be a fan of your people at WVU.

You didn't go to Pitt. You have no right to speak badly about Oakland. Stop with that slum crap. We know the city scares people like you. Just shut up about it. Go be a fan of your people at WVU.
I got news for you......
Just STFU ...you know nothing about me personally and you’re FOS lol.

You stop with your Insane Oakland stadium posts I’ll stop too.....
You good wif that.

I got news for you......
Just STFU ...you know nothing about me personally and you’re FOS lol.

You stop with your Insane Oakland stadium posts I’ll stop too.....
You good wif that.

Wow! How can someone be so angry about the issue of building sports entertainment infrastructure. Seems like we touched a nerve. Were your parents killed when they built the Pete?

Wow! How can someone be so angry about the issue of building sports entertainment infrastructure. Seems like we touched a nerve. Were your parents killed when they built the Pete?
Lol that clown got what he deserved..
He lied about me personally so he got it...

Actually this is total fun watching you stadium guys whine like middle school cheerleaders when the AD , who is the Boss, just tabled it ...

For a decade.....

which imo was so she doesn’t have to deal with it during the rest of her tenure at Pitt.
Read it again.......it’s off the table.

But I’ll still be laughing out loud when you guys continue chasing windmills and drawing pictures of stadiums which are crammed into Oakland...looking so lopsided it could tip over or played on a field 85 yds in length.
At 135M lmao dollars.

You people are funner than than Comedy Channel.

Last edited:
rjoc8.jpg

Lol that clown got what he deserved..
He lied about me personally so he got it...

Actually this is total fun watching you stadium guys whine like middle school cheerleaders when the AD , who is the Boss, just tabled it ...

For a decade.....

which imo was so she doesn’t have to deal with it during the rest of her tenure at Pitt.
Read it again.......it’s off the table.

But I’ll still be laughing out loud when you guys continue chasing windmills and drawing pictures of stadiums which are crammed into Oakland...looking so lopsided it could tip over or played on a field 85 yds in length.
At 135M lmao dollars.

You people are funner than than Comedy Channel.
dude, we all know deep down, it's not gonna happen. its just fantasy talk during slow time of year, nothing more. I love, LOVE the idea of an on campus stadium and I always jump in on these threads.

Heinz field is such a freakin garbage venue and it sucks that we are stuck with it, that's what stimulates this talk. Pitt has to bribe students with doritos to go to games it's that miserable. fans talk about tarping seats to make it tolerable that's how bad Heinz field is. do you really blame us for wanting something else?

Honestly, what Lyke and PItt should do, to get students to the game, is designate some parking/tailgating for them close to the stadium and make it alcohol friendly. Im not saying they buy underage kids booze but don't be d*cks about enforcing it, turn the other way, don't have rental cops walking thru sniffing cups, that type of thing.

dude, we all know deep down, it's not gonna happen. its just fantasy talk during slow time of year, nothing more. I love, LOVE the idea of an on campus stadium and I always jump in on these threads.

Heinz field is such a freakin garbage venue and it sucks that we are stuck with it, that's what stimulates this talk. Pitt has to bribe students with doritos to go to games it's that miserable. fans talk about tarping seats to make it tolerable that's how bad Heinz field is. do you really blame us for wanting something else?

Honestly, what Lyke and PItt should do, to get students to the game, is designate some parking/tailgating for them close to the stadium and make it alcohol friendly. Im not saying they buy underage kids booze but don't be d*cks about enforcing it, turn the other way, don't have rental cops walking thru sniffing cups, that type of thing.

Lol. Students already know they aren't safe there if underage and drinking.

Lol. Students already know they aren't safe there if underage and drinking.
they aren't safe where? At Heinz field? do they crack down on underage drinking? when I was a young swerve, we'd go down to 3 rivers stadium an hour before sunrise on sundays and drink ourselves to weirdness for steeler games in early 90s when I was in high school, continued that thru college as well, without a fear in the world.

does the Po Po give kids a hard time nowadays? if so, that's truly a shame. tailgating with out beer, going to college football as a collete student and being sober, not enjoying cracking a few cold ones pre game in the parking lots is down right criminal, almost Un-American.

they aren't safe where? At Heinz field? do they crack down on underage drinking? when I was a young swerve, we'd go down to 3 rivers stadium an hour before sunrise on sundays and drink ourselves to weirdness for steeler games in early 90s when I was in high school, continued that thru college as well, without a fear in the world.

does the Po Po give kids a hard time nowadays? if so, that's truly a shame. tailgating with out beer, going to college football as a collete student and being sober, not enjoying cracking a few cold ones pre game in the parking lots is down right criminal, almost Un-American.

They used to at Heinz in the student lot, but it has been a long time since I was a student and I am out of touch. I am assuming that it still is a much different experience drinking in the student lot at Heinz then it would be in a similar student lot on campus.

Reactions: Swervin27
both

both

Honestly, I would say that having an on-campus stadium within 10 years is more likely than Pitt averaging say 60K (which would still put it 10K short of capacity) over an extended period.

If we aren't going to build an OCS, Pitt's primary focus has to be how to make 35K-45K look and feel better at Heinz. The atmosphere is hurting recruiting

Reactions: cbpitt2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT