ADVERTISEMENT

On the missed free throws last night

UPitt '89

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Mar 14, 2002
Hinson was 2-3. He's a 70% guy, so that's normal and expected.

Sibande was 1-2, Cummings was 1-2. Both are sub-par - but that's a REALLY small sample set.

Elliot was 5-7. 71%. His normal numbers would indicate 6-7. So not really an issue.

GDG was 0-1, and it was the front end of a 1-and-1. But it was late in the second half of a game in which he played 37 minutes (after averaging 10). He was exhausted, and it showed - as he front-rimmed the shot. I'll forgive him that miss.

All in all, it wasn't as bad as it seemed at the time.

Sibande was 1-2, Cummings was 1-2. Both are sub-par - but that's a REALLY small sample set.

Elliot was 5-7. 71%. His normal numbers would indicate 6-7. So not really an issue.

GDG was 0-1, and it was the front end of a 1-and-1. But it was late in the second half of a game in which he played 37 minutes (after averaging 10). He was exhausted, and it showed - as he front-rimmed the shot. I'll forgive him that miss.

11-15 instead of 9-15 would have been a near average day for us. So that’s 2 points. But there were about 2-3 close to the hoop shots that I think were a greater missed opportunity.

I tend to think we need to own that entire percentage as a team and do better as a team. Our margin for error isn't very high. If we could snag a few rebounds... sure, go ahead and shoot 60% from the line. But we have to at least do what we do well, well.

11-15 instead of 9-15 would have been a near average day for us. So that’s 2 points. But there were about 2-3 close to the hoop shots that I think were a greater missed opportunity.
Diaz had 2-3 opportunities where he was fed real good opportunities down low and didn’t convert any of them. Not necessarily all his fault as there was good defensive opposition against him and he’s obviously still in learning mode and physically undermanned but, nonetheless, it would be good to draw the foul if not convert on some of those.

Reactions: gary2
I tend to think we need to own that entire percentage as a team and do better as a team. Our margin for error isn't very high. If we could snag a few rebounds... sure, go ahead and shoot 60% from the line. But we have to at least do what we do well, well.
And we did that yesterday with our 3pt %.

Diaz had 2-3 opportunities where he was fed real good opportunities down low and didn’t convert any of them. Not necessarily all his fault as there was good defensive opposition against him and he’s obviously still in learning mode and physically undermanned but, nonetheless, it would be good to draw the foul if not convert on some of those.
Right … when he gets more experience he will draw fouls on plays like that. For now, he was doing his best which was basically a pretty weak move.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
And we did that yesterday with our 3pt %.

Yeah, we did. It was enough to put us in a position to win by one point, on a missed tipped, en route to being one of the biggest statistical anomalies in the last 25 years. But the more things we do well, obviously the better our chances become. This team is what it is at this point; I'm not asking it to learn new tricks. But if this 76% free throw shooting team goes 12-16 last night (including the front end of the one and one), well, we're giving ourselves that much more of an opportunity to win the game.

Reactions: Drew1208
Need to do better foul shooting this next game with Iowa State. Two many second shot misses it seemed when Pitt got to the line.

That’s a good point. I really thought those free throws were going to come back and bite us and they really almost did.

There weren't a lot of fouls called that could have been called. So not many FT's were being shot. 15 foul shots for a whole game doesn't seem like a lot to me. We weren't penetrating the lane and drawing fouls.

Some odd situations too. Hinson’s lone miss and Elliot’s first miss both came on a chance for 4 point plays.

It wasn’t bad as far as any one person as….to your point…small sample sizes.

But a couple were front end 1:1’s. So in aggregate we left at least 4 or 5 points on the table that we would have to gotten shooting closer to our norm.

Have to be better or it could cost us

It wasn’t bad as far as any one person as….to your point…small sample sizes.

But a couple were front end 1:1’s. So in aggregate we left at least 4 or 5 points on the table that we would have to gotten shooting closer to our norm.

Have to be better or it could cost us
There was only one missed front end.

There was only one missed front end.

I thought Hinson had one too, but it might have been the and one on the 3.

But even still…we made 9 out of what would have been 16 with the missed and one.

We have had plenty of 13/16 or 14/16 type nights. We were close to needing those 4 or 5 points.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT