ADVERTISEMENT

Orange Bowl if we win out

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
I know, the chances of this are less than 1% but hey, we can dream.

The remaining 8 games are winnable. We dont play any teams who I would consider to be "good." UVa will lose to ND and another then to Clemson to finish at 10-3. We would be 10-2 with a higher CFP rank given our hypothetical 9 game winning streak and would go to the OB as the ACC replacement for Clemson

The remaining 8 games are winnable. We dont play any teams who I would consider to be "good." UVa will lose to ND and another then to Clemson to finish at 10-3. We would be 10-2 with a higher CFP rank given our hypothetical 9 game winning streak and would go to the OB as the ACC replacement for Clemson

UVA wins the tiebreaker. Wouldn't they need to lose two Coastal games if Pitt wins out?

A 10-2 Pitt would likely be top 12. We would be in consideration for a NY6 bowl, but likely tv viewership would send us elsewhere.

A 10-2 Pitt would likely be top 12. We would be in consideration for a NY6 bowl, but likely tv viewership would send us elsewhere.
If we go 10-2 and UVA finishes 10-3 with a loss in the ACC Championship, would we pass them for the ACC NY6 slot?

I’ve seen it happen a few times when a school leapfrogs another that lost a conference championship game while they were idle (FSU and UNC in 2015, KU and Mizzou in 2007).

I would think our TV viewership would be stronger than UVA?

Hail to Pitt!

Dave

If we go 10-2 and UVA finishes 10-3 with a loss in the ACC Championship, would we pass them for the ACC NY6 slot?

I’ve seen it happen a few times when a school leapfrogs another that lost a conference championship game while they were idle (FSU and UNC in 2015, KU and Mizzou in 2007).

I love the enthusiasm, but let’s wait until we get into the meat of our ACC schedule. After all, this is Pitt and we know how they like to break our hearts. . We tend to have at least one head scratcher every year and we still need to beat UNC.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I love the enthusiasm, but let’s wait until we get into the meat of our ACC schedule. After all, this is Pitt and we know how they like to break our hearts. . We tend to have at least one head scratcher every year and we still need to beat UNC.
Of course. I said the exact same thing about UNC in another thread yesterday. Just a hypothetical is all.

Of course. I said the exact same thing about UNC in another thread yesterday. Just a hypothetical is all.

Are we going to go 10-2? No. But as someone posted yesterday. Sagarin has us favored in all but 1 remaining game (Syracuse). So, when you look at the schedule, there is a path. In fact, I think the toughest 2 are the 2 after Delaware (@ Duke, @ Syracuse). Win those 2 and things could get really interesting. Would have Miami coming in for HC but would probably get a night game which would mean we'd lose because our home night game record is dismal

Let’s beat Delaware.

UVA wins the tiebreaker. Wouldn't they need to lose two Coastal games if Pitt wins out?

Uva's starting center did not play against odu and they almost lost. They are dangerously thin on the o-line if he is out for an extended time they could be in trouble. We have a long way to go.

Uva's starting center did not play against odu and they almost lost. They are dangerously thin on the o-line if he is out for an extended time they could be in trouble. We have a long way to go.
They almost lost to FSU at home too. Early days, but like last year PITT needs to win (obviously) AND get some help from within the division. It can happen.

We are approaching 2 generations of lost fans, and our best ones who were here for the good years are sadly dying off. We haven’t gone anything close to 10-2 in 35 years. I just prefer pumping the brakes a bit.

If we just have a decent year, we are poised to have a 10-2 type year next year. But...haven’t we learned anything from being pitt fans our whole lives?

One game at a time.

We are approaching 2 generations of lost fans, and our best ones who were here for the good years are sadly dying off. We haven’t gone anything close to 10-2 in 35 years. I just prefer pumping the brakes a bit.

If we just have a decent year, we are poised to have a 10-2 type year next year. But...haven’t we learned anything from being pitt fans our whole lives?

One game at a time.

Im not playing so I can dream of a season with less than 3 losses. I have never personally witnessed one.

Reactions: dave97

One game at a time.
dying off? hell I just got me some blue pills...I'm good for another 30 years or so..

We haven't won one ACC game. It's wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too early to talk about win totals of anything more than 6 right now. Anything can happen between now and the end of the season. If this Pitt team can get to 8 wins total, that will be overachievement.

Listen, I'm going to be a slight (or complete) dick here. If you actually believe that they'll win out, I think you're optimistic and passionate about Pitt football, but do not let this team fool you. They do this $h*t time and time again where it looks like they've turned a corner -- did it at the end of 2007, 2017 and after the Clemson win in 2016 -- and just lay an egg to some crap team (e.g., Bowling Green, fat, white, midwest speed with Northwestern, etc.). I could see them pulling some crap losing to Duke and/or Syrapoop. Clearly, I hope not, because this fanbase deserves some actual good (not a 7-7 dingbat Coastal Championship). I see 8-4 -- with a bowl win, finally, to put them at 9-4 -- if the defense keeps up the high level of play for the remainder of the season.

Listen, I'm going to be a slight (or complete) dick here. If you actually believe that they'll win out, I think you're optimistic and passionate about Pitt football, but do not let this team fool you. They do this $h*t time and time again where it looks like they've turned a corner -- did it at the end of 2007, 2017 and after the Clemson win in 2016 -- and just lay an egg to some crap team (e.g., Bowling Green, fat, white, midwest speed with Northwestern, etc.). I could see them pulling some crap losing to Duke and/or Syrapoop. Clearly, I hope not, because this fanbase deserves some actual good (not a 7-7 dingbat Coastal Championship). I see 8-4 -- with a bowl win, finally, to put them at 9-4 -- if the defense keeps up the high level of play for the remainder of the season.

To be fair, I would still put my money on 7-5 or 6-6. Just saying the remaining schedule is as weak as maybe we've ever had. You could make the case that there are no true Top 50ish caliber teams.

I can hope for an 8 win season but I doubt it happens. Pitt always finds a way to lose to a couple of teams they shouldn't have lost to. They will again this year. 7-5 is more realistic and 6-6 is a definite possibility.

We as Pitt fans are a sorry bunch in many ways. Within 30 minutes of the game ending I was looking up flights to Miami, Orlando, and Nashville in anticipation of our bowl destination. I did this fully realizing that it would probably end in disappointment again one way or another.

I can almost guarantee I wasn’t the only one doing this either.

Pitt needs to be the program that dominates the coastal and battles Clemson. Back to back coastal championships would be a breakthrough. It takes a full season not just an upset. Syracuse did not suddenly become a perennial power after upsetting Clemson.

30 pts per game should be enough to run the table. Tough being a game behind the preseason favorites..

One game at a time.
Pie in the sky optimism isn’t strictly a generational thing. I only got into Pitt towards the end of the Walt era, but despite the occasional thrills like last week, have been poisoned plenty by disappointing losses the past 2 decades to always have my expectations tapered.

A 2 game margin of error and 6-2 the rest of the way is my *realistic* hope. And I’d lean more towards 5-3 than 7-1 as being more likely.

What I really want is a strong finish (bowl win).

I agree. We've been burned before. But the win over UCF gave us swagger. For now at least.

Are we going to go 10-2? No. But as someone posted yesterday. Sagarin has us favored in all but 1 remaining game (Syracuse). So, when you look at the schedule, there is a path. In fact, I think the toughest 2 are the 2 after Delaware (@ Duke, @ Syracuse). Win those 2 and things could get really interesting. Would have Miami coming in for HC but would probably get a night game which would mean we'd lose because our home night game record is dismal
Syracuse was rated high, but Maryland, who lost to Temple, pounded them like 63-21?

Talking Orange Bowl aspirations at 2-2 is making it really easy on opposing fanbases. In the future, can we at least try to make them work a bit to come up with their insults?

Reactions: HailToPitt725

Oh, so you're just automatically assuming Pitt loses to Clemson in the ACC championship?

There's the Pitt fans we know and love. A poster posts something very optimistic and gets labeled a troll. F off with some of you and go support another program if you're going to be that miserable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT