ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 4K Ultra HD

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Is anything being shot in that technology? I remember I contemplated buying a 3D TV a few years ago but decided against it after ESPN announced it was discontinuing 3D broadcasts which essentially killed the technology for sports at least (some movies you can watch in 3D but not many).

At the time it looked like the sports networks were going to he investing in 4K technology but I'm not sure that that's really happened. How many sporting events (or anything, sit-coms, Game of Thrones, etc) are shot in 4K?

Is anything being shot in that technology? I remember I contemplated buying a 3D TV a few years ago but decided against it after ESPN announced it was discontinuing 3D broadcasts which essentially killed the technology for sports at least (some movies you can watch in 3D but not many).

At the time it looked like the sports networks were going to he investing in 4K technology but I'm not sure that that's really happened. How many sporting events (or anything, sit-coms, Game of Thrones, etc) are shot in 4K?
Netflix has a nice variety of programs in 4k including Breaking Bad.
Also, Direct TV has a dedicated 4k station that includes sporting events but is overpriced if you have to pay for an upgraded DVR.

Netflix has a nice variety of programs in 4k including Breaking Bad.
Also, Direct TV has a dedicated 4k station that includes sporting events but is overpriced if you have to pay for an upgraded DVR.
I have had a hard time with uVerse giving me enough bandwidth to get 4K. I do however get 2k through Netflix and it's pretty awesome.

I just got an LG OLED 4K TV - the C7 series ($2200 through Amazon btw) and paid for the upgraded receiver w/ DirecTv.

They had the last 3 holes of the PGA in 4K and it was a big difference vs. regular HD. As another poster mentioned, DirecTv has 3 dedicated channels to 4K and they're pretty good - I had also heard that all Notre Dame FB will be in 4K this year on DirecTv as well as many NFL and other college games - that's the reason I splurged on it.

You have to have the right equipment though...if you go cheap on a TV w/o OLED and HDR, you won't get the same effect.

There's lots of 4K tvs out there that are pure junk.

I subscribe to Consumer's Reports and on any big purchase, I really try and do my homework.

Lots of things are shot in 4K but very little is distributed in 4K. Heck, a lot of stuff lately is shot in 8K.

Part of the issue with cable distribution is that 4K requires a lot of data. It is 4x the pixels of 1080p. Unless some of the smaller channels start dying, there just isn't enough bandwidth to start converting many major feeds to 4K.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT