ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 6'6" DB commits to Bowling Green

bummer01

Walk-on
Mar 25, 2019
I saw on Twitter that there was a kid who committed to Bowling Green that is a 6'6" 170 LB CB/S.

I find it interesting because I've never heard of a defensive back being that tall. Obviously he's a project considering that he's a MAC player.

I just needed to get this out here and BGSU doesn't have any message boards on Rivals.

Maybe the Pirates should sign him as a shortstop ... in all seriousness, if he is athletic (I know that is a big "if"), he'll be able to play on the defense somewhere. He probably isn't destined to be a corner and that height. He will have to put on weight to play pretty much anywhere else, even safety, but he's got the frame to add weight easily. At that height he could potentially be a good "center fielder" type back at free safety, or an edge type player if he can add enough pounds.

Unless he can play WR, he better start smashing some calories. Hell, he better do that even if he can play WR. 6'6" 170 has even Manute Bol saying, "Damn, dude... eat a doughnut."

Would be funny if they lost two games on Hail Mary passes last season and they literally did bring him in as a DB just to defend against that.

Kwantel Raines was about that size and was recruited as a DB. I think a few schools were recruiting Aaron Mathews as a safety, too.

Kwantel Raines was about that size and was recruited as a DB. I think a few schools were recruiting Aaron Mathews as a safety, too.

His recruiting profile lists him at 6'3" 200, which feels a lot different. And I know we wanted him at LB. Still, 6'3" for a safety, while huge, isn't 6'6". They were making a huge deal out of Kyle Hamilton being 6'4". And that's not even corner.

I think we initially wanted Mathews at LB, too. Most assumed he would eventually move to DE. He should have listened to the coaches, in my opinion... he might still be playing. He made some really smooth tackles in punt coverage against Clemson in 2016.

His recruiting profile lists him at 6'3" 200, which feels a lot different. And I know we wanted him at LB. Still, 6'3" for a safety, while huge, isn't 6'6". They were making a huge deal out of Kyle Hamilton being 6'4". And that's not even corner.

I think we initially wanted Mathews at LB, too. Most assumed he would eventually move to DE. He should have listened to the coaches, in my opinion... he might still be playing. He made some really smooth tackles in punt coverage against Clemson in 2016.
I had thought Raines was more like 6’5, but I could be misremembering.

I had thought Raines was more like 6’5, but I could be misremembering.

I was always surprised he was ranked as highly as he was. His tape just didn't jump out to me at all. I wonder if being from Aliquippa had anything to do with it (it very well may not, because I also thought guys like Wade and Jeter were ranked way too highly).

Last edited:
Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Kind of an tradition for MAC schools to bring in players and move them to a different position based on their size or speed. It's given some kids an opportunity to play D1 football that might not have, otherwise.
It has also given many others the opportunity to become first round NFL draft picks.

6'6 170 makes the Diaz twins look like Sumo wrestlers. That's a stick figure of a human.

Reactions: pittdan77
I was always surprised he was ranked as highly as he was. His tape just didn't jump out to me at all. I wonder if being from Aliquippa had anything to do with it (it very well may not, because I also thought guys like Wade and Jeter were ranked way too highly).
Yeah, I think he fell into the big bucket of “positionless athlete with upside if he can figure out how to specialize in something.”

At least with Wade there was a lot of positional ability under the hood on both sides of the ball - his small frame ultimately just established a hard ceiling, but he still had enough ability to be a multi-year starter at a P5. Jeter just feels like the inherent variance in projecting high school offensive and defensive line prospects.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT