ADVERTISEMENT

OT: any new series worth watching?

What's it about and why should I watch it?
I haven’t seen Season 2 yet, but the main character is a guy who works in a NYC bookstore and he meets a gorgeous girl in the store and instantly becomes obsessed with her. The season is about the lengths he goes to in order to stalk her and eliminate anyone that gets between them. The main character is a great actor.

Reactions: BurghGuy68
A few series to watch:

Ozark...superb (think Breaking Bad in the Ozark)

Jack Ryan (great writing and cinematography)

Bosch (books are superb as the character, Bosch, ages in his books)

the Crown (powerful drama, first two years were great, and recent season three was equally great)

Kominsky Method (well-written and great acting)—old guy humor but well-done and short (episodes are 20-25 minutes)

Better Call Saul...as others have said, long wait, but well worth it

marvelous Mrs. Maisel (funny)

the Walking Dead (how does mankind exist at the end of the world...the zombies are much weather, something you have to deal with, but the story is more about how we cope)

I think all the above series have something in common...not 22 episodes a year (like network TV), and as a result are better written and produced.

Hail to PITT!
-al-

I haven’t seen Season 2 yet, but the main character is a guy who works in a NYC bookstore and he meets a gorgeous girl in the store and instantly becomes obsessed with her. The season is about the lengths he goes to in order to stalk her and eliminate anyone that gets between them. The main character is a great actor.
Season two is just as good as Season one. My wife and I binge watched season two in two days. Let me know what you think after you watch it.

This. I LOVED Watchmen, but I also have a pretty good understanding of the comics, which is important, since it’s kind of a sequel to the comics. My gf doesn’t know the comics, so she didn’t enjoy it as much as I did.

Same with me and my wife

Probably most on here are way too mature (unlike me), but Trailer Park Boys has been on Netflix a few years and is easily one of my favorite shows ever.
I’m with you. I didn’t start watching till last year, but now I own at least 3 TPB shirts.

Mindhunter great shame it’ll be awhile till season 3
Ozark -great
YOU is great and really gets nuts ( same can be said for Ozark)
The documentary about the collar bomb robbery Evil Genius was crazy as hell too ... led me to read up a lot on the case.
Rewatching Making a Murderer... those two assholes are guilty as hell... I don’t care how dumb the 16 year old was or how many time Steven Avery says “ I Doan Knooow ... I just doan knooow how those bones got there” in his annoying Wisconsin accent... whole family is crap. Read up if you don’t agree

Forgot all about Evil Genius. That is/was excellent. I sort of remember when it happened but watching that documentary was so informative on what really happened.

As far as Making a Murder, F Steve Avrey. But the nephew that was entrapment regardless if he did it or not. They had a stupid minor who had a stupid mom in a room for hours without a lawyer because kid/mom were too stupid to ask for one. Then they were saying to this clearly slow immature kid "just admit it and you can go". He admits to it, then ask to watch WWE because he truly believed the cops would let him go since he did what they said. Clearly that thinking doesn't line up to anything a normal functioning teenagers thinking level. A normal functioning teenager would ask for a lawyer, and if they did admit to guilt, they know they would not be going home to watch WWE.

Stuff I've watched in the past 2-3 years that I've really loved and I haven't seen mentioned here:

Chernobyl: quick hitter - maybe just 6-8 hours total? An inside look at the paranoia and anti-expertise found in the late days of the Soviet Union. Incredibly accurate and well-acted, especially Jared Harris. I highly recommend the companion podcast after every episode.

the Leftovers: people love this or hate it. I have friends that couldn't watch it past Season 1 but it's one of my favorite shows ever. The concept is that about 10% of the world's population instantly vanished and how humanity deals with that. Some think it's God's punishment, others are just trying to carry on. The show gets heavily mystical toward the end which I loved. The last 3ish episodes are incredible. Widely considered to have one of the best series finales of all time.

the Crown: also very historically accurate and well-acted. Deals a lot with world and internal UK politics. My wife watches for the outfits and cars and I watch for the depictions of mid-century crises. Some great insight into the ruthlessness of the royal family. They changed QE2 from Claire Foy to Olivia Colman in Season 3 but it works. The entire cast is incredible.

the Mandalorian: very high production value Star Wars show. The acting is fine but not quite to the level of some of the amazing HBO shows that I listed. The Mandalorian is a hero but more of the "lawful neutral" alignment like Shane or a disgraced former Samurai than a traditional hero like Luke Skywalker. I think moving the focus away from Jedi helps get into the grittier parts of the universe.

Black Mirror (just seasons 1-2): I like the pulp sci-fi serialization format where most concepts are one-off because it lets them reset the dystopia every episode. Sometimes the villain is social media in a world that largely resembles today and sometimes it's killer robots that have almost completely wiped us out. Some of the episodes can be hit or miss. Some will force you to turn the TV off when you're done because they're so heavy. You never know what you're going to get.

I'll always recommend the Wire and Breaking Bad in case people haven't seen those.

Ray Donovan, Succession and Billions all great shows worth watching if you have HBO and ShowTime. Chernobyl on Amazon Prime was a very intriguing small documentary series they had.

Billions and Succession are the best recommendations so far if you haven't watched them yet.

Ozark is good too.

Patriot and John Ryan on Prime are two more.

Btw, if you haven’t done Cobra Kai yet, you need to. I know you like the whole 80’s nostalgic thing...and Johnny Lawrence is great. I’m hoping for a Liz Shue appearance at some point. That day is coming.
Yeah I have caught a little bit of it, and I liked what I saw. I should just go all in and finally start watching. Loved Lawrence's adult character, at least what I saw.

I just don't want to make a commitment. LOL.

I have watched (and enjoyed) Billions since its inception, so waiting for the new season. As someone mentioned, if you haven't seen Chernobbyl, it is not a long commitment, maybe 8 hours total worth, but it is so good and so devoid of big name actors, you would think you are actually watching a documentary of the actual events. As someone who has worked with people on graphite reactor designs, just haunting to me.

I believe there is a new season of True Detective coming out soon.

Longtime HBO/Showtime watcher, let those go going into football season when we cut the cord - new to Netflix and Prime. Will eventually pop for a month or two for HBO/Showtime to get caught up on things there.

Watched Stranger things with our 14 year old daughter, was intense and did a great job of recreating 80s culture.

Better Call Saul is real solid, a less intense spin off of Breaking Bad, one of the all time greats.

Sneaky Pete is top notch - once it gets into the flow toward the end of season one nearly every episode has a cliffhanger leading into the next episode, really keeps you looped in.

I am currently watching Lillyhammer. Little known that Steven Van Zandt was origionally lined up to be Tony Soprano until Gandolfini got it. Lillyhammer is much light fare, but Van Zandt is fun and casting this in Norway is a fun spin on the gangster thing.

I thought Jack Ryan season one was real solid, but season two was a clear notch down. Just not a huge Krasinski fan, he is OK in breezy roles, but just does not seem to have the depth to balance that part of Ryan that is in his head and while a big guy not forceful in action scenes. I get that it is probably just me.

Bosch is pretty good, a great vehicle for Titus Welliver. It gets a little borish with how his character is the be all in policing, but the storylines are solid.

Was a long time TWD fan, but with the transition in the cast lost the connection with it over the last two seasons and just walked away mid season this year.

Chernobyl (HBO) was really well done and very accurate, and sadly appears to be a precursor to where the USA is rapidly headed.

Night of was really good. Pretty Little Lies was great.

Forgot all about Evil Genius. That is/was excellent. I sort of remember when it happened but watching that documentary was so informative on what really happened.

As far as Making a Murder, F Steve Avrey. But the nephew that was entrapment regardless if he did it or not. They had a stupid minor who had a stupid mom in a room for hours without a lawyer because kid/mom were too stupid to ask for one. Then they were saying to this clearly slow immature kid "just admit it and you can go". He admits to it, then ask to watch WWE because he truly believed the cops would let him go since he did what they said. Clearly that thinking doesn't line up to anything a normal functioning teenagers thinking level. A normal functioning teenager would ask for a lawyer, and if they did admit to guilt, they know they would not be going home to watch WWE.

He also asked and thought he was going back to school because he had a project. Most HS kids know if you admit to killing and raping someone, you arent going to do your project or watch WWE that night. His IQ was in the mental retardation range. Whether he did it or not, his confession was absolutely coerced and I cant believe that 2nd appeals court upheld it.

Chernobyl was great. Leftovers is only 3 seasons long and makes my top 5 list of all time shows. Absolutely depressing show, but has tremendous highs.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
just finished Knightfall on Netflix, which was a historical/fictional series about the last days of the Templar Knights, King Phillip (France), the Pope, etc.

I wouldn’t call it great, but it was pretty good and worth watching for those interested in Medieval/historical/epic violent type storytelling not all that different than Game of Thrones.

So what’s next? It was only 18 episodes long and I’m ready for something new. Any thoughts?
Santa Clarita Diet...

Reactions: BurghGuy68

The interesting thing was when I read online the full confession of the teenager... it lines up completely with the evidence... it’s worth noting the show didn’t include this at all, skated around it and showed the defense argument ( good example was the whole “hey there’s no blood in Avery’s bedroom” guess what? the prosecution never made that argument) she was killed in the garage... the blood in the RAV4 made sense too Avery put her in there then changed his mind. Avery had lots of time to get rid of DNA too bleach etc.... but once you see the transcript they both are guilty as hell.

One other big point the kid admitted that there was a plan that both knew about for days prior to the photographer coming out... clear consciousness of guilt... and the show never touched this.its a classic mistake to formulate an opinion based only on the show... note the jury saw the whole interview... the show demonstrates this but avoided getting into the specifics.

Another specious argument about Avery is the whole “ he wouldn’t have done this he just won a lawsuit “ etc etc... the problem is Avery was on his third strike... so if Avery did ANYTHING the photographer could report to police ...flashing, inappropriate touching , grabbing coercion... anything he was going back based on that ... let alone what he was convicted of. He was on very thin ice with the three strikes rules.

Last edited:
Watchmen was amazing but it helps if you have some background from the comic.

It helps a little but is not necessary if you begin watching at the beginning of episode one. It's very difficult to pick this up in the middle.

In some cases, I found what I knew from the comic to be distracting.

Stuff I've watched in the past 2-3 years that I've really loved and I haven't seen mentioned here:

Chernobyl: quick hitter - maybe just 6-8 hours total? An inside look at the paranoia and anti-expertise found in the late days of the Soviet Union. Incredibly accurate and well-acted, especially Jared Harris. I highly recommend the companion podcast after every episode.

the Leftovers: people love this or hate it. I have friends that couldn't watch it past Season 1 but it's one of my favorite shows ever. The concept is that about 10% of the world's population instantly vanished and how humanity deals with that. Some think it's God's punishment, others are just trying to carry on. The show gets heavily mystical toward the end which I loved. The last 3ish episodes are incredible. Widely considered to have one of the best series finales of all time.

the Crown: also very historically accurate and well-acted. Deals a lot with world and internal UK politics. My wife watches for the outfits and cars and I watch for the depictions of mid-century crises. Some great insight into the ruthlessness of the royal family. They changed QE2 from Claire Foy to Olivia Colman in Season 3 but it works. The entire cast is incredible.

the Mandalorian: very high production value Star Wars show. The acting is fine but not quite to the level of some of the amazing HBO shows that I listed. The Mandalorian is a hero but more of the "lawful neutral" alignment like Shane or a disgraced former Samurai than a traditional hero like Luke Skywalker. I think moving the focus away from Jedi helps get into the grittier parts of the universe.

Black Mirror (just seasons 1-2): I like the pulp sci-fi serialization format where most concepts are one-off because it lets them reset the dystopia every episode. Sometimes the villain is social media in a world that largely resembles today and sometimes it's killer robots that have almost completely wiped us out. Some of the episodes can be hit or miss. Some will force you to turn the TV off when you're done because they're so heavy. You never know what you're going to get.

I'll always recommend the Wire and Breaking Bad in case people haven't seen those.

The Leftovers (especially the final season) was the by far the most amazing television I've ever watched.

just finished Knightfall on Netflix, which was a historical/fictional series about the last days of the Templar Knights, King Phillip (France), the Pope, etc.

I wouldn’t call it great, but it was pretty good and worth watching for those interested in Medieval/historical/epic violent type storytelling not all that different than Game of Thrones.

So what’s next? It was only 18 episodes long and I’m ready for something new. Any thoughts?
I am mid way through "The Boys" on Amazon Prime I am loving it. Seth Rogan produced the series. The show centers around a group of people attempting to bring down corrupt super heroes. I am not one of those people who are automatic fans of all super hero / Marvel type of flicks but I think this series is well done.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Not "new" but loved Fauda...Israeli special forces stuff...two seasons thus far with a third season coming later this year...

What's it about and why should I watch it?
If you like Dexter (another great series that lasted around 8 seasons), you will like "You." Very similar concept where the entire series is narrated by the psychopath killer who is attempting to assimilate into society. Dexter involves a mass murderer who focuses his murderous impulses on criminals while You involves a murderous stalker.

Last edited:

Yellowstone, on Paramount Channel ( available on YouTube ) is very good. Season 2 ends great.

Yellowstone, on Paramount Channel ( available on YouTube ) is very good. Season 2 ends great.
I’ll check it out. Sounds interesting. My problem with most of these shows is that I can’t make it through the first episode without giving up on them.

I’ll check it out. Sounds interesting. My problem with most of these shows is that I can’t make it through the first episode without giving up on them.
You are a soccer guy, probably followed Maradona. He is one of the greatest ever. check out the Netflix show “Maradona in Mexico”
Made me like him even more.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT