ADVERTISEMENT

OT... Bakeries...

Really enjoyed that movie.

We like stopping in for breakfast or lunch at Enrico's. One of these days I'm going to sign up for one of their bread making classes.

Sergio made the worst wine I've ever had... it was an insult not to drink it so we really had to add the ginger ale...
poor guy lost both his legs to diabetes... boy do I have the stories on him...

Sergio made the worst wine I've ever had... it was an insult not to drink it so we really had to add the ginger ale...
poor guy lost both his legs to diabetes... boy do I have the stories on him...
Sounds like a character.

Minerva’s in McKeesport outstanding donuts can smell yeast when you walk in door, has been there forever. In south hills Bethel Bakery, Signature Desserts and Pastries ala Carte all are very good with different specialties.

Minerva’s in McKeesport outstanding donuts can smell yeast when you walk in door, has been there forever. In south hills Bethel Bakery, Signature Desserts and Pastries ala Carte all are very good with different specialties.

Minerva's ... be careful of your ladies on the street... pretty forward offering their services...

They're good. Not quite worth the premium or special trip, just for donuts. But good.

The owner had some hot water trying to avoid taxes or something. But I think he got duly nailed for it.

He's also of a conservative political bent, from what I read. So that likely bothers some here. How dare he appropriate a progressive name for his business, lol.
So for those not familiar, they're likely dismissing the place solely for that reason, keeping with the ridiculous extremism today. So be it, but the donuts, like chick fil a sandwiches and ben and Jerry ice cream, etc, are good. If you can get past the unhingedness of it all of course. Myself, I care about politics but i have priorities! I can enjoy good donuts made by a tax evading right-winger, just as I can enjoy a good pint of ice cream (or 3) even if Steven Colbert's picture is on the carton, lol.

I have no idea his politics and don’t care.
The donuts just aren’t that good

To be honest........bakeries to me, great bread and either Italian or French pastries and cakes. You can have your donuts.

Not a bakery, but thought I'd mention it. Greek food festival in East Pittsburgh. The "diples" with honey and cinnamon is delicious. Too bad I can only get it once a year. There are other specialty pastries I'd like to mention, but I can't even pronounce let alone type them.

Not a bakery, but thought I'd mention it. Greek food festival in East Pittsburgh. The "diples" with honey and cinnamon is delicious. Too bad I can only get it once a year. There are other specialty pastries I'd like to mention, but I can't even pronounce let alone type them.

Ypapanti Church.... I know many from that Church and area.. I grew up on Greek Street in Forest Hills. If you have a hankering for them, call Drews Restaurant in Forest Hills they might be able to hook you up.

Ypapanti Church.... I know many from that Church and area.. I grew up on Greek Street in Forest Hills. If you have a hankering for them, call Drews Restaurant in Forest Hills they might be able to hook you up.
Not to hijack the OP, but is there any truly good Greek restaurant in Pittsburgh?

Whenever we get the chance to travel, it is the one type of cuisine that I look for first. We ate at one in Minneapolis this summer and I STILL think about it.

Not to hijack the OP, but is there any truly good Greek restaurant in Pittsburgh?

Whenever we get the chance to travel, it is the one type of cuisine that I look for first. We ate at one in Minneapolis this summer and I STILL think about it.
Detroit. Even Cleveland. But definitely Detroit. If you like Mediterrean food, this is the Mecca (pardon the pun) and just fantastic selections.

Unfortunately the best I can rely on here is Aladdins, which considering it is a chain, is about as good of a chain you can get.

Detroit. Even Cleveland. But definitely Detroit. If you like Mediterrean food, this is the Mecca (pardon the pun) and just fantastic selections.

Unfortunately the best I can rely on here is Aladdins, which considering it is a chain, is about as good of a chain you can get.
Not Greek, but close.
Kabob G Grill - Authentic Lebanese Food in Castle Shannon. It is a little hole in the wall with very little seating, but the food is legit.

Last edited:

Drews in Forest Hills has Greek nights... best to call first, I think one Friday a month..
Side note, they make a lot of the food for the Greek food festival in East Pittsburgh...

For those of us in the North Hills, my favorite for birthday cakes is Dudt's. Nothing beats their frosting. Also their donuts are terrific. Dangerously so. :rolleyes:

Dudt's in Wexford, yes?. Don't know if it's still there, but there was also a Dudt's in Duncan Manor, but it wasn't the same, nor as good. Dudt's in Wexford has bomb doughnuts.

Alladins? That's Middle Eastern, not Greek, correct?

Dudt's in Wexford, yes?. Don't know if it's still there, but there was also a Dudt's in Duncan Manor, but it wasn't the same, nor as good. Dudt's in Wexford has bomb doughnuts.
I believe the Duncan Manor Dudt's was another brother, but it's closed now.

Reactions: PittPat3

I currently live in the Detroit area and I’m Greek! Sadly another of the Greek Restaurants in Greektown closed but Pegasus Taverna is the best one left.

If Drew’s in Forest Hills is doing the food for the Greek Fest their Greek Night food should be the same and very good.

Also the whole fries on a sandwich things didn’t start at Pirmanti’s it started in Greece!!! Legit Gyros and Souvlaki have sliced fried potatoes in the pita with the meat.

I currently live in the Detroit area and I’m Greek! Sadly another of the Greek Restaurants in Greektown closed but Pegasus Taverna is the best one left.

If Drew’s in Forest Hills is doing the food for the Greek Fest their Greek Night food should be the same and very good.

Also the whole fries on a sandwich things didn’t start at Pirmanti’s it started in Greece!!! Legit Gyros and Souvlaki have sliced fried potatoes in the pita with the meat.
Interesting stuff.

I know Primanti sandwiches origins came from truck drivers in the Strip who wanted a "full meal" they could eat while driving. Perhaps someone with a Greek background helped shape the concept.

BTW - here is a link to the Greek restaurant I was at this summer. They have an absolutely beautiful patio area. The owner came out and sat with us pointing out all the different items that had come directly from Greece. If you're ever in Minneapolis I strongly recommend visiting.

https://www.itsgreektomemn.com/?utm...ganic&utm_campaign=gmb&utm_content=lakestreet

Last edited:

Central Grille in Robinson is an excellent Greek restaurant!

Interesting stuff.

I know Primanti sandwiches origins came from truck drivers in the Strip who wanted a "full meal" they could eat while driving. Perhaps someone with a Greek background helped shape the concept.
I know that is the story and have heard it many times, but seriously?
Who could possibly hold one of those sandwiches with one hand and drive, especially a Truck???
If you didn't care about most of the stuff falling off onto your lap, I guess, but I'd really like to see a demonstration of that to believe that story. LOL

Prantls Shadyside. Burnt almond torte. Could live on eating that stuff (wouldn't be living for long though... but what a way to go).

Soergels (in Wexford) for pies.

Breadworks for bread.

You do know that Soergels pies aren't their own. They're made somewhere else and shipped in.

Oakmont Bakery is a given. Best in the area. For cookies, Good Lovin' is probably the best.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Who could possibly hold one of those sandwiches with one hand and drive, especially a Truck???
If you didn't care about most of the stuff falling off onto your lap, I guess, but I'd really like to see a demonstration of that to believe that story. LOL
You haven't seen either of my children eat one (or two) of those sandwiches. They can polish them off with nothing coming out.

Plus if you have them wrapped at the bottom it would avoid anything spilling out.

I've always heard the same story, but I always assumed the driver would eat the sandwich on his way back to the truck.

It's not a drive through for semis.

What do you guys think of those tiny donuts? I forget the name, but the office hipsters love them for some reason.
Peace Love & Little Donuts.
Stop at Mocha,. No competition for Double D.

I am just not that into donuts.

And I am tried of people (especially Conservative) political views affecting how and who people want to be do business with. Let's stop letting the media divide us, and agree that we can all disagree on somethings?
Liberals are worse...Buy only from transitioning whatevers with multiple tats and no jobs. The scarier the better.

Liberals are worse...Buy only from transitioning whatevers with multiple tats and no jobs. The scarier the better.
Yeah, like leftist getting hyper because of somebody wearing a certain hat they don't like. Give it a break who gives a crap what clothing anybody wears. stupid

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
Jean Marc Chetalier French Bakery in Millvale. The best by far.

Jean Marc's is really good. I can't say its the best, because I don't go to bakeries very often. Maybe it's because liberals tell me not to go to some places, and conservatives tell me not to go to others. But it's probably just because I don't want to gain any more weight.

You haven't seen either of my children eat one (or two) of those sandwiches. They can polish them off with nothing coming out.

Plus if you have them wrapped at the bottom it would avoid anything spilling out.
I get em at the Pitt games, half of the sammy (the slaw, mostly) seems fall on me... still like em though

Reactions: pitt-girl
Actually I see my wording was not complete so it was misunderstood. I meant "conservative owned businesses" are targeted because of their beliefs moreso than vice versa. Me? I just want to know if it is good.

Actually I see my wording was not complete so it was misunderstood. I meant "conservative owned businesses" are targeted because of their beliefs moreso than vice versa. Me? I just want to know if it is good.
"Smart" business people never advertise their politics. Everyone's money is green!

I worked in the mill in the 60’s. The mill workers on south side always said Primantis sandwiches were due to mill workers getting meal they could eat while standing up since there were no seats or tables there. Sandwich in one hand, drink in the other.

OK.....BTW, I had lunch at a Chick-Fila today. Place was jammed. Great service, good food (no fast food is great). The haters who complained about the owners being Christians sparked tremendous growth....They're bigger than Burger King these days. The drive thru at this place had about 20 cars lined up. Aberdeen, MD.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT