ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Citizens arrest

jivecat

Senior
Jul 5, 2001
Has anyone ever performed a citizens arrest? I think I may need to take action and I do not want to violate anyone’s rights.

I tried but they are not responding. I am afraid this is getting serious and someone could be injured.

• Haha
Reactions: TitoBeagle
Making a citizens arrest and making a blade from scratch are the only squares left on my man card I need to check off.
257b59e9.png:large.757x975_q85.png

• Haha
Reactions: Farnox and str61166
I tracked down a car thief and got him arrested but a cop actually took him in so I'm not sure if it qualifies.

Like many of you, I order from Amazon a few times per week. The driver who drops off many items (not in an Amazon truck but a personal car) is definitely high on marijuana. It is so bad that my packages reek of marijuana. He must drive around and take the drug. He is going to kill someone or drive off the road. Someone is going to get hurt. I am ordering some items which will arrive tomorrow, and I plan on making a citizen’s arrest.

Like many of you, I order from Amazon a few times per week. The driver who drops off many items (not in an Amazon truck but a personal car) is definitely high on marijuana. It is so bad that my packages reek of marijuana. He must drive around and take the drug. He is going to kill someone or drive off the road. Someone is going to get hurt. I am ordering some items which will arrive tomorrow, and I plan on making a citizen’s arrest.
Yeah … I would just call the police. If he is high, they will arrest the driver for a DUI.

I hope this is a joke because a citizen’s arrest here is awfully misplaced.

Make a video of him, upload it to social media. Forward it to Amazon.

Yeah … I would just call the police. If he is high, they will arrest the driver for a DUI.

I hope this is a joke because a citizen’s arrest here is awfully misplaced.
Yeah, what could go wrong?
Probably be the lead story on the local news tomorrow night.

Reactions: TheChair
You should just call the police, and/or report the driver to Amazon through whatever customer feedback procedure there is. It is not wise, by any measure, to attempt a citizen’s arrest, especially not for a circumstance like this.

Reactions: Parkview57
Get his plate number and call 911. Follow him and allow the cops to arrest him. I did this a few years back with high school kids clearly driving under the influence. Gave the cops road by road where they were and let the cops arrest him.

Additionally you are only stating he smells of pot. Maybe he isn't the one smoking. Is his driving dangerous? I mean most delivery guys are dangerous enough without using drugs.

Not sure you can make a video of someone without their permission.
Well, there are cameras everywhere filming what goes on out and about. People are convicted all the time with film evidence from cameras criminals didn't know were there FWIW.

This dude knows your name and address.

In 2023, outside of imminent bodily threat - this is not something you should handle on your own. Report him to Amazon or the cops, but there is all risk and no reward in trying to be a hero.

Well, there are cameras everywhere filming what goes on out and about. People are convicted all the time with film evidence from cameras criminals didn't know were there FWIW.
OK, now I'm seriously doubting this is for real. Ring doorbells are literally everywhere.
ring-doorbell-meme-ring-ring.gif

I'm not trying to be a wiseguy, but what good will it do? Does anyone really care enough to confront employees , etc. anymore? Call the police, they don't respond? Judges let everyone walk. It is a sad state of affairs.
Exactly. Who Cares…. People just steal now nobody does anything….

Reactions: Farnox
This dude knows your name and address.

In 2023, outside of imminent bodily threat - this is not something you should handle on your own. Report him to Amazon or the cops, but there is all risk and no reward in trying to be a hero.
This is a good point. I’d hate to let this perp continue to break the law but there is no way his employer does kit smell it on him. They clearly don’t care.

This is a good point. I’d hate to let this perp continue to break the law but there is no way his employer does kit smell it on him. They clearly don’t care.

Just let Amazon know when you submit your complaint that if something happens that there is a record of them knowing, the last thing they want is to be liable.

Reactions: cruzer
WHY? If you are sure of what you are saying, why not call either Amazon of the local police? Perhaps the guy has a medical marijuana card? Better be real sure if you are going to be accusing someone of an illegal activity. If you are wrong, you may have some legal issues coming your way.

Reactions: 303vND
He could be smoking that legal CBD/delta weed sold at tobacco shops. It had the smell but not the high

Do not make a citizen's arrest. I work in the judicial system, as everyone said above, call the police. If you believe this individual is high, he could potentially be charged with a DUI.

Has anyone ever performed a citizens arrest? I think I may need to take action and I do not want to violate anyone’s rights.
I have. Worked as a "private agent" for a while which is just a fancy way of saying "souped up rent-a-cop." And the law is sort of crafted with security guards in mind. In Pennsylvania, a private citizen can only make a "citizen's arrest" if it is a lawful arrest. You MUST witness the act and reasonably believe the act will continue if you do not stop the person from continuing. You must also call the police immediately. That would include all felony's and most misdemeanors.

In practice, you're advised to only do this for a felony because there are a lot of ways this goes south and you end up getting sued. Good Samaritan laws help you when there's a felony going on and Castle Doctrine may apply as well. Side note, in PA, retail theft is considered a felony for the purpose of arrest. That's why they can grab shoplifters.

So, if you do decide to act, be very careful about how you go about it because it's very likely you end up being worse off. There is also a very good chance that the court does very little to the person because the law is very weak.

For those reasons, I suggest you don't act directly. If possible, get your deliveries sent to an Amazon box or to work for a while. Hope they forget about you. You can also purchase a secure delivery box that looks nice but can be secured to your porch and that lock once the package is put in them. Amazon has them but I imagine local retailers do, too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT