ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Clark 3

It’s a summer professional league so they are competing with sports fans who also just want to spend more time outdoors and not watching much if anything. I have very limited interest and also have a few other things that take up my time so I’m out. I might watch a game from the championship finals but that would be about it. But in all honesty I don’t pay much attention to the regular season NBA either. Football and hockey for me

I also should mention that stars drive ratings and ticket sales. The older and more knowledgeable posters on this board know that the NBA was really struggling after Bird and Magic. The league had issues with bad characters and the up and down play was rough. I’ll leave it at that. Then Jordan came along. He had the crap best out if him and then he became the star if the league. People who didn’t support their own franchises started coming to games when Jordan and the Bulls came to town.

It’s why people watched or went in person to see Koufax or Gibson pitch. It’s why hockey towns went nuts when Mario visited.

The women’s sports need stars Clark might fade away but something tells me that she is far too competitive and talented.

We will never know, but, I'd take my chances with the boy's teams. I've seen too many instances where boys outclass women no matter how good they are.

I have told this story. My friends and I played the women's team in 3 on 3. We were good HS players. The Pitt women's team, who was very bad at the time beat us. Obviously there were better WPIAL players than us but a WNBA team is also infinitely better than a really bad Big East team. I am confident in saying that a WNBA could beat most WPIAL teams. Those good fundamental suburban 5A/6A schools arent athletic enough to overwhelm them with speed, rebounding, and athleticism. A WNBA would run into trouble when the WPIAL team had athletes like say Penn Hills with Duggar the QB and that kid who went low D1 for hoops. But if they are playing one of those fundamental teams with a 6'3 center, the WNBA team wins.

By the way I’m beginning to think some of the drama around Clark (ie the hard fouls and shit talking) is planned by the league to generate more interest. Clark is a really good player but it’s still women’s hoops and her novelty woild wear of fast. The added tension between Clark and some of the other players creates more drama and draws more attention to the games

I also should mention that stars drive ratings and ticket sales. The older and more knowledgeable posters on this board know that the NBA was really struggling after Bird and Magic. The league had issues with bad characters and the up and down play was rough. I’ll leave it at that. Then Jordan came along. He had the crap best out if him and then he became the star if the league. People who didn’t support their own franchises started coming to games when Jordan and the Bulls came to town.

It’s why people watched or went in person to see Koufax or Gibson pitch. It’s why hockey towns went nuts when Mario visited.

The women’s sports need stars Clark might fade away but something tells me that she is far too competitive and talented.

The NBA was struggling with attendance after Bird retired? That doesn't sound quite right. Jordan and Bird overlapped, pretty sure MJ won his first championship while Bird was still playing.

By the way I’m beginning to think some of the drama around Clark (ie the hard fouls and shit talking) is planned by the league to generate more interest. Clark is a really good player but it’s still women’s hoops and her novelty woild wear of fast. The added tension between Clark and some of the other players creates more drama and draws more attention to the games
There really isn’t any basketball drama .
The Reese foul was both a basketball play and a flagrant 1/
If she got part of the ball, which Clark smartly moved away - it’s a common hard foul .

But that doesn’t stop a bunch of basketball know nothings from screeching on social media

There really isn’t any basketball drama .
The Reese foul was both a basketball play and a flagrant 1/
If she got part of the ball, which Clark smartly moved away - it’s a common hard foul .

That play was correctly officiated, but Reese was only slightly, very slightly, closer to the ball on that play than I was. She had literally no chance to get a part of the ball.

I don't think she was trying to hit her in the head on purpose, but she missed that block not by inches, but by feet.

The league has the most popular player in the history of women’s basketball, record attendance and ratings because if Clark and still losing 50m annually

That tells u all u need to know about the wnba.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT