ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Copa America

I don't understand how people simultaneously argue "US needs a name/accomplished coach" and "Marsch should be the US coach".

He's 'Murican, and our boys deserve the best coach that money can by. Which obviously means a 'Murican.

I'd be shooting higher than Marsch, but he'd at least clear the bar of "better than Burp." Of course that's a mighty low bar to clear.

Berhalter is 100% gone if he doesn't go through. 100%. You just cant keep a coach who couldn't get out of a weaker group then he will have in 2026. And his results up until that point were weak at the World Cup and in qualifying. He can beat a terrible Mexico team though so there's that.
I saw a tweet from Wynalda who is pretty connected that says otherwise. Even though he has rubbed plenty wrong, he still has connections

I don't understand how people simultaneously argue "US needs a name/accomplished coach" and "Marsch should be the US coach".
Because some of us are reasonable with who we think we can get. Or maybe we are the ones who are unreasonable? I guess we will find out one day.

I mean as a Pitt fan 20 years ago I wasn’t holding my breath and waiting for an A list legend to walk through the door, but we could get Wanny.

Reactions: brdst11
He's 'Murican, and our boys deserve the best coach that money can by. Which obviously means a 'Murican.

I'd be shooting higher than Marsch, but he'd at least clear the bar of "better than Burp." Of course that's a mighty low bar to clear.

I'd prefer Marsch over Berhalter but I'll make this real easy for the USMNT:

You are hosting the WC meaning you get a favorable draw and home field advantage (for the most part). You have a decent shot of making a run to the semis if you get a few breaks. Your federation prints money. Determine who the best coach in the world is and go get him. Money isn't an issue. Now, of course some are going to say no. But even Plan D or E is better than Berhalter. Berhalter is not a Top 1000 coach.

I'd prefer Marsch over Berhalter but I'll make this real easy for the USMNT:

You are hosting the WC meaning you get a favorable draw and home field advantage (for the most part). You have a decent shot of making a run to the semis if you get a few breaks. Your federation prints money. Determine who the best coach in the world is and go get him. Money isn't an issue. Now, of course some are going to say no. But even Plan D or E is better than Berhalter. Berhalter is not a Top 1000 coach.

The problem is there aren't many "best coaches in the world" in the international game. Most are coaching at clubs, making good money, and don't want to coach a national team for two years. Maybe they'd do a year.

You could try Jogi Low but the US job is very different than the Germany job. Lionel Scaloni may be available soon but again, how would his Argentina experience translate?

Klopp seems like he wants to take some time off and if he doesn't, he could choose his club. And of course he's never coached a national team.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
Your federation prints money. Determine who the best coach in the world is and go get him. Money isn't an issue.

Most of the best coaches in the world have little to no interest in coaching a national team. The top clubs in the world make a lot more money than US Soccer does. Do you really think that if the US wanted to hire Pep Guardiola and he was actually interested in the job, that if it simply came down to money that US Soccer would have more of it to pay him than Man City does?

To put some numbers on it, US Soccer's total revenues for 2024 are expected to be a record $172 million. Out of that they run all the programs from the senior teams all the way down to the youth levels. For the 22-23 season Man City's revenues were also a record, approximately $900 million at the current exchange rate.

Which one of them do we suppose has the best chance to hire whatever coach they want?

To put some more numbers on it, US Soccer's total projected revenues for this year is approximately equal to what Bournemouth's revenues were for the 22-23 season. Bournemouth had the lowest revenues in the EPL that season. So US Soccer's money is approximately the same as the lowest team in the Premier League.

I wonder why Bournemouth just doesn't go out and hire the best coach in the world, what with money apparently being no object?

To put some numbers on it, US Soccer's total revenues for 2024 are expected to be a record $172 million. Out of that they run all the programs from the senior teams all the way down to the youth levels. For the 22-23 season Man City's revenues were also a record, approximately $900 million at the current exchange rate.

Which one of them do we suppose has the best chance to hire whatever coach they want?

Players make very very little for the national teams compared to club salaries. So there's that.

Most of the best coaches in the world have little to no interest in coaching a national team. The top clubs in the world make a lot more money than US Soccer does. Do you really think that if the US wanted to hire Pep Guardiola and he was actually interested in the job, that if it simply came down to money that US Soccer would have more of it to pay him than Man City does?

Get the best coach who is interested. That isnt Berhalter.

And of course one of the reasons for that is that the national teams simply don't have the money to pay the players like the clubs do.

No. Its because they only play a few games per year for the national team AND very few players have their choice of which national team to play for and then you cant switch. Pulisic cant demand more money so threaten to leave for Croatia. His choices now are USMNT or nothing. Federations know its an honor for these guys so they get them for next to nothing.

USA's path to the Copa crown:

Beat Uruguay, Brazil/Colombia, Brazil/Colombia, Argentina back to back to back to back. Can they do it?

I hope so, but they've got their cover now.

"It wasn't Burp's fault that Tim Weah took a red card, so we have decided to continue on with him as our coach."
To be honest, not defending Mr Burp, but I think they likely would have won that game without the 72-minute power play.

Its because they only play a few games per year for the national team

I'm talking about on a per game basis. Club players (at the high levels) get paid far more PER GAME than national team players do because clubs have a lot more money than national teams do to play players.

If the US (or Spain, or England, or Germany, or any of them) had to pay the players what they made per game at their clubs it would bankrupt the federation. They simply do not have that kind of money to pay the players, or pay the coaches.

To be honest, not defending Mr Burp, but I think they likely would have won that game without the 72-minute power play.

Sure, but they could have, and probably should have, done that with YOU as the coach.

They should have been able to get at least a draw out of that game, especially after they took the lead.

The US has play official games against Panama 27 times. Panama has won three of them. Two of those three (plus a draw) have come in the last four times the teams have played. Guess who was the coach for those four games?

I'm talking about on a per game basis. Club players (at the high levels) get paid far more PER GAME than national team players do because clubs have a lot more money than national teams do to play players.

If the US (or Spain, or England, or Germany, or any of them) had to pay the players what they made per game at their clubs it would bankrupt the federation. They simply do not have that kind of money to pay the players, or pay the coaches.

And coaches make a lot more per game too

The oddsmakers make this a relatively even match. Our supposed golden generation has an opportunity tonight. Let's go guys, get this done.

Last edited:
this ref sucks
Our boys are playing well. It’s a talented group. Just need to play flawless games against teams like this.

But wow. What happens to soccer and referees when games are played within the Concacaf borders? Wow.

down to pulisic and pepi for offense with weah and balogun not there. limited options. have to take advantage of anything.

It's good to see that it isn't just CONCACAF refs that are awful, I guess?
It’s uncanny. Of course officiating is bad in some situations. But this game is badly officiated on so many levels. You can literally turn on this match, not know who the teams are, and immediately know that this isn’t Euros.

refs you can understand making bad calls that's why you have var.

This has been a really frustrating tournament to watch. The US have talent and had a strong first half, but can't seem to finish in the final third. Though the refereeing has been horrible tonight, Panama deserves to advance. The US seems snake bitten; might as well make a coaching change as it can't get much worse than failing to get out of a group that includes Bolivia and Panama while playing at home. Only positive is maybe this lights a fire under them ahead of the WC. Fool's gold generation, so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: noelr
VAR is just as bad as the ref.

It will be interesting to hear an explanation for that, because that looked clearly offsides.

It depends on the angle and if you can tell the exact moment the ball hits the Uruguay head. It looked offside initially but the official CONMEBOL graphic froze it earlier so he looked even. You cant tell if if was on his head or not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT