ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Copa America

Telling the team that Bolivia just scored. What coach would ever do that? Oh wait Derp would. This burro needs sacked immediately!

Losing to Panama was a failure. Being up 1-0 and down to 10 men should not be something this team could not handle against friggin Panama.

Sadly I don’t think this federation does a single thing.

Also there was just common chatter of how the US should try to join conmebol. They would get annihilated. South American national teams take physicality to an entirely different level.

I'm depressed, no meaninful US games until 2026 now. What a catastrophic failure. I still can't get over subbing CCV on and bunkering against Panama, that decision is what should push it over the top to cost Gregg his job. Its unfortunate cause last night was an extremely gutsy performance against an excellent team.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I'm depressed, no meaninful US games until 2026 now. What a catastrophic failure. I still can't get over subbing CCV on and bunkering against Panama, that decision is what should push it over the top to cost Gregg his job. Its unfortunate cause last night was an extremely gutsy performance against an excellent team.
And to build on that, what is the CB position going to look like in two years? Scary thought.

And speaking of defenders, I had to wonder last night when seeing Jedi if he regrets declaring for the US because he’d probably be Englands starting left back and have a chance to win something even though their coach is worse than Derp.

There's the Gold Cup next summer. But that's the other thing disappointing about this. This team lost the opportunity for a big test in that knockout round match vs Brazil/Colombia and then if you could win that somehow, you get another big test. This is partly why I think these guys should go play in the Olympics. I know they won't and that clubs wont let them but perhaps some compromise can be reached where they can just play in the knockout round or something.

This is such a disaster. CONMEBOL basically did the US and Mexico a favor since we have nothing to do until June 2026 and we completely blew it because we couldn't hold Panama to 1 goal or less, which, a man down or not, we absolutely needed to be able to do.

Reactions: 121rum
And to build on that, what is the CB position going to look like in two years? Scary thought.

And speaking of defenders, I had to wonder last night when seeing Jedi if he regrets declaring for the US because he’d probably be Englands starting left back and have a chance to win something even though their coach is worse than Derp.

Need to go back to the tried and true method of checking to see if any military dads had a talented son with a German woman.

Same as it ever was. Golden age my ass. US Soccer is a bunch of pussies. Sorry. I am tired of hearing "well our best athletes play other sports." You are talking the richest, most sports obsessed nation of 330 million people and can't get out of a group against teams with mostly the population of the Minneapolis-St Paul metro area.

Blame the coach. Yes I get it.
Blame the ref.....being CONCAFFED, yep....I am at the point where I refuse to play a match with a Spanish speaking referee...

But still..................it is 2024. All of this talent that was supposed to be here........and it is no different, or worse, than results of all other non CONCAF international tourneys.

I'm comfortable with the development of Richards, he pretty much locked down a PL starting spot and is still young for a CB. I have no idea who could possibly start next to him, Ream will be too old and there's not much in the pipeline. Have to hope Mckenzie or someone moves to a bigger league.

Same as it ever was. Golden age my ass. US Soccer is a bunch of pussies. Sorry. I am tired of hearing "well our best athletes play other sports." You are talking the richest, most sports obsessed nation of 330 million people and can't get out of a group against teams with mostly the population of the Minneapolis-St Paul metro area.

Blame the ref.....being CONCAFFED, yep....I am at the point where I refuse to play a match with a Spanish speaking referee...

But still..................it is 2024. All of this talent that was supposed to be here........and it is no different, or worse, than results of all other non CONCAF international tourneys.
On paper, our talent level was not that far behind Uruguay, we just lacked the stars. In 2016 a MUCH less talented US team made it to the copa semi's, its not purely a talent issue. Its more tactics and mentality, which falls a lot on the manager.

And in the burbs, plenty of great athletes choose soccer first. Soccer is the first sport for plenty and the most of the good ones don’t stop playing. The scrubs migrate to lacrosse and cross country and while some of the good ones go to football, hockey, etc., there’s still enough to pull from.

A couple things. The best American athletes still do play other sports. By and large, you still arent getting those kids whose dad played D1 football, mom played D1 basketball, but son chose soccer. Every kid plays soccer at 5 or 6 or 7 but this country still does an extremely poor job of retaining the best of those kids. The kids who stay are the soccer families or the kids of immigrants.

That said, this is still the most talented US team ever. This is without question. However, the results don't show that. Some of it is coaching. Some of it is bad luck.

And in the burbs, plenty of great athletes choose soccer first. Soccer is the first sport for plenty and the most of the good ones don’t stop playing. The scrubs migrate to lacrosse and cross country and while some of the good ones go to football, hockey, etc., there’s still enough to pull from.

I wouldn't say plenty. What you need is for like 8 of the best 10 athletes in those suburban schools to choose soccer but they dont. Its like 4 play football/baseball. 3 play football/basketball. 2 play soccer. 1 plays hockey. 1 plays baseball only.

The US has made very little strides here. And more importantly, you need the BEST athlete in those areas to play.

I wouldn't say plenty. What you need is for like 8 of the best 10 athletes in those suburban schools to choose soccer but they dont. Its like 4 play football/baseball. 3 play football/basketball. 2 play soccer. 1 plays hockey. 1 plays baseball only.

The US has made very little strides here. And more importantly, you need the BEST athlete in those areas to play.
I would say plenty. It’s a big country. This isn’t Belgium.

Well, we have a much larger country so that's an advantage but lets take the 5A/6A WPIAL schools. Lets say you put everyone through some athletic combine test. How many of the best from each school would be soccer players. What's there 30 of these schools? I'd say 3 or 4 are soccer players. Now, if we are talking about women, that answer would be 23 or 24.

I swear some of you think this is possible.

Problem is timing as those seasons will he starting soon. If this was May 2025, I'd say its much more likely. BTW, Jose Mourinho just took the Fenerbahce job? Huh? WTF. That's a guy we could have had.

I have a feeling they fire Berhalter and do the interim thing until they land a big name coach, who takes over next May.

Problem is timing as those seasons will he starting soon. If this was May 2025, I'd say its much more likely. BTW, Jose Mourinho just took the Fenerbahce job? Huh? WTF. That's a guy we could have had.

I have a feeling they fire Berhalter and do the interim thing until they land a big name coach, who takes over next May.
I’ll gladly eat crow here, but he’s making 11.5 million per year there. That will NEVER happen here. Unless US Soccer decides they can make a one time exception for a year in a World Cup cycle. But then, Emma Hayes will have to get hers too…equality and all, y’all.

I’ll gladly eat crow here, but he’s making 11.5 million per year there. That will NEVER happen here. Unless US Soccer decides they can make a one time exception for a year in a World Cup cycle. But then, Emma Hayes will have to get hers too…equality and all, y’all.

The Women's coach thing is a problem. I've heard that she'd have to be paid the same but not sure. Its only players I believe. I think the US has to pay a top of the world salary. Its YOUR FREAKING WORLD CUP. You have one shot. But that's why its probably going to be a 13 month deal. June 1 until end of the 2026 WC. Overspending for 1 year but you miss the opportunity to build a team as he'd only have the Gold Cup, friendlies vs Mexico, Canada, or New Zealand in Sept, Oct, Nov, and March.

It’s funny. I’m in a house with 16 relatives this week at the beach. Only a couple of us watched the game last night. This morning my cousin asked me “did your team win last night”. Lol. I told him no and there’s all kinds of outrage this morning over it. And then I corrected myself and said that it’s soccer so there’s only a few thousand people outraged because no one cares. Lol.

Exactly! First off, more kids are playing soccer including top athletes as people move away from football and the associated CTE injuries. But this is again a sports obsessed country, a huge country and a rich country. If only 1% of say top level athletes play soccer, then that is still a larger pool to select and develop from than almost all the other nations, especially in the Americas.

Again, I put it on our kids are just playing against our kids and WOGS from CONCACAF nations until it is too late. Whereas hockey it was always the best. 1980 in International hockey was an anomaly, it is why it was a great story. But the US arrived in 1996 in essentially what was the World Cup of Hockey when the US had guys like Modano, Leetch, Tkachuk, Chelios, Richter, Hill, LaFontaine, Housley, etc....and they won the gold and beat Canada in the best of 3. Ever since, the US has been as competitive as any nation in most international events.

US Soccer has never moved past a level of even 20 years ago. Despite having more talent. I mean to not change up the coach, the approach, the philosophy is very much Pirates like in incompetence.

Reactions: 121rum and Fk_Pitt
Also on a positional rant, Matt Turner is very concerning. He is a decent enough shot stopper but this guy is a mistake waiting to happen when he has the ball at his feet. He doesn't have quickness and his touches are very rough. Also when under pressure, he can't put a ball in the area it needs to be, no accuracy.

What was always a stout position with the national team is now very mediocre at best.

Well listening to Charlie Stilitano just a little bit ago. I think we all should trust his word because he is extremely connected. He didn't mention names individually but said that Big Name managers would absolutely be interested in this job.
Ok. Well he would know. He’s connected. How ironic would it be if his buddy Ancelotti ended up here next year and Jesse was still in Canada?

• Love
Reactions: Allan McMurray
The talent issue comes from a culture thing, US doesn't have a soccer culture at all. Kids don't really go out and play pick up soccer, they play pick up basketball or throw a football around. Poor kids can't afford to play soccer. The american messi is probably working a desk or service job currently and never even tried the sport.

Ok. Well he would know. He’s connected. How ironic would it be if his buddy Ancelotti ended up here next year and Jesse was still in Canada?
Boy, how glorious would that be. Sadly though, would the federation even be interested in having a big name coach? I'm highly suspect of them and their true ambitions.

Exactly! First off, more kids are playing soccer including top athletes as people move away from football and the associated CTE injuries. But this is again a sports obsessed country, a huge country and a rich country. If only 1% of say top level athletes play soccer, then that is still a larger pool to select and develop from than almost all the other nations, especially in the Americas.

Again, I put it on our kids are just playing against our kids and WOGS from CONCACAF nations until it is too late. Whereas hockey it was always the best. 1980 in International hockey was an anomaly, it is why it was a great story. But the US arrived in 1996 in essentially what was the World Cup of Hockey when the US had guys like Modano, Leetch, Tkachuk, Chelios, Richter, Hill, LaFontaine, Housley, etc....and they won the gold and beat Canada in the best of 3. Ever since, the US has been as competitive as any nation in most international events.

US Soccer has never moved past a level of even 20 years ago. Despite having more talent. I mean to not change up the coach, the approach, the philosophy is very much Pirates like in incompetence.
Pay to play is really killing the sport. You'll see a change once you see poor inner city kids kicking soccer balls around for fun just as much as shooting hoops or throwing a football currently. Its just so inaccessible to them

One other thing. And we talk about "our best athletes don't play soccer." Why?

Until the US gets a true, dominant Pro League with big salaries, big fanbases, big media coverage, you are never going to have a futbol culture, and your best athletes play. Zeise, who played soccer in college, was saying it, imagine if Lamar Jackson or Michael Vick or Tyreek Hill played soccer.

But when these guys have to go overseas, and likely sit on the bench and wait, then well.....

The world's best baseball players come here to play. The world's best basketball player's come here to play. The world's best hockey players come here to play. Hell, the world's best golfers come here to compete.

The world's best soccer players go to Europe.

• Love

You cant compare it to hockey because there's only a few countries who play and the US has by far, the best pro league in the world. Hockey talent is coming from more places but its still mostly Minnesota, Massachusetts, and other parts of the Northeast ans that's 100 years in.

For soccer, the only reason that the US can compete is because of its size. I'd say that not even 5% of the best athletes choose or stay with soccer. So that's like having a population of 16 million. So you are talking Netherlands/Belgium size. Countries like that get 100% of the best talent but the kids play soccer every day. They may only practice 2 or 3 times per week like in the US but they are playing every day.

Another thing that nobody talks about is that being that the hotbed of American soccer is the suburbs, 9 and 10 year olds cant walk to the local park to play. In Europe, the suburbs are different than they are here. Most kids grow up in a "town" with smaller lots and a local park within walking distance. So there's access. You need to play everyday. If you arent playing soccer every single day, you cant make the pros. 2-3 times per week isnt nearly good enough. Its top technical of a sport.

So, in a nutshell, you can boil it down to not enough American kids playing every day.

You cant compare it to hockey because there's only a few countries who play and the US has by far, the best pro league in the world. Hockey talent is coming from more places but its still mostly Minnesota, Massachusetts, and other parts of the Northeast ans that's 100 years in.

For soccer, the only reason that the US can compete is because of its size. I'd say that not even 5% of the best athletes choose or stay with soccer. So that's like having a population of 16 million. So you are talking Netherlands/Belgium size. Countries like that get 100% of the best talent but the kids play soccer every day. They may only practice 2 or 3 times per week like in the US but they are playing every day.

Another thing that nobody talks about is that being that the hotbed of American soccer is the suburbs, 9 and 10 year olds cant walk to the local park to play. In Europe, the suburbs are different than they are here. Most kids grow up in a "town" with smaller lots and a local park within walking distance. So there's access. You need to play everyday. If you arent playing soccer every single day, you cant make the pros. 2-3 times per week isnt nearly good enough. Its top technical of a sport.

So, in a nutshell, you can boil it down to not enough American kids playing every day.
Again, if you had a dominant pro league here like with the other sports, this all would change.

Again, if you had a dominant pro league here like with the other sports, this all would change.

Right but MLS can never be a big league unless the USSF joins UEFA, which will probably never happen. Dont want to turn this into one of those debates but that's the only way. You cant get the best players in their prime unless they have a path to the Champions League. Or even if you cant get into UEFA, there would need to be some agreement where MLS could send a few teams to the UEFA Champions League. I've heard Saudi Arabia is trying to pursue this but Saudi Arabia is a small market for UEFA. The US is a giant market.

Right but MLS can never be a big league unless the USSF joins UEFA, which will probably never happen. Dont want to turn this into one of those debates but that's the only way. You cant get the best players in their prime unless they have a path to the Champions League. Or even if you cant get into UEFA, there would need to be some agreement where MLS could send a few teams to the UEFA Champions League. I've heard Saudi Arabia is trying to pursue this but Saudi Arabia is a small market for UEFA. The US is a giant market.
I don't know what I am talking about but I also don't disagree with this.

I don't know what I am talking about but I also don't disagree with this.

Part of me think the USSF and MLS like being small. Soccer in the US, once you get past the early elementary ages when everyone plays, is like a small world. I feel like they dont want the inner city kids playing. To my knowledge, there's never been any serious initiative to that end. They dont want the suburban football/basketball/baseball kids playing. The more popular it gets, the less control they have.

I really feel the USSF is thrilled to be where they are at which is a good bit better than 1994 but really haven't increased the talent level a ton since 2002 when they were very close to making a semifinal. They feel they can develop enough players to be average and fill in with Europeans who hold US citizenship through a military dad. I wished someone would do a study on this because the chances of playing for the USMNT if you grew up in Europe to a US military dad is EXPONENTIALLY greater than if you grew up in the US.

When you break it down, Berhalter's record in his 7 biggest games look even worse

Wins
Iran 1-0
Bolivia 2-0

Losses
Netherlands 3-1
Panama 2-1
Uruguay 1-0

Draw
England 0-0

5 goals in 7 games. Only 2 wins and against bad competition. There's no reason he is still employed.

When you break it down, Berhalter's record in his 7 biggest games look even worse

Wins
Iran 1-0
Bolivia 2-0

Losses
Netherlands 3-1
Panama 2-1
Uruguay 1-0

Draw
England 0-0

5 goals in 7 games. Only 2 wins and against bad competition. There's no reason he is still employed.
I don't know exactly.......but his overall record to teams ranked in the FIFA top 20, outside of Mexico is ZERO wins.

This is tremendous and comprehensive and ssshhhh no one really reads this so....But you all should read it. It's so long, I had to paste in plain text and over two posts.

Part 1:

Why USMNT isn't as good as it thinks after Copa America exit

Ryan O'Hanlon, ESPN.com writer

It really seemed like they might do it.

The move started in their own half and lasted for nearly a full minute. It featured 13 passes of varying levels of intricacy, pushing the ball patiently forward, working it from left to right. An initial thrust toward goal was denied, possession cycled backward, but then just enough space appeared: A playmaker got on the ball on the half-turn between the defensive and midfield lines, slipped a through ball to the center forward, whose perfect first touch set up a cool finish past the keeper at the near post.

It's everything we've wanted from the United States for years: a team-wide ability to create chances out of patient possession, someone with the vision to make the right passes around the penalty area, and a striker who would make the right runs and finish his chances. It couldn't have come at a better time, either; it appeared the goal would push the Americans into the quarterfinals of the Copa América.

Unfortunately, the goal wasn't actually scored by the Americans. For two or three minutes in the second half on Tuesday, Bolívia had evened up the score with Panama 1-1, while the U.S. was still scoreless with Uruguay. Gregg Berhalter & Co. were going through! Until a Uruguay goal off a set piece, followed by two more goals by Panama, and ... disaster.

The U.S. came into the tournament with something like an 85% chance of advancing, and yet they just got dumped out of the Copa América in the group stages with a 1-0 loss.

But it's not even that, really. Weird stuff can happen in international tournaments -- even to the best teams. The bigger issue is the way they went out -- not just losing in a must-win game at home, but only attempting eight shots and not creating a single chance of note. Uruguay is a good team, but it's not France or Argentina.

Sure, there are plenty of questions about the coaching, but with two years to go until the World Cup and not another competitive game of real value before then, the USMNT's golden generation seems like it might be stuck.

The promise
Let's go back to, say, 2019 or early 2020. Simpler times for everyone, including the handful of young men who made up America's elite soccer talent.

At the absolute top, you had Christian Pulisic. After three successful teenage seasons with Borussia Dortmund, he made the move that should frighten any international fan base: he signed with Chelsea for €64 million.

Rather than celebrating this massive fee paid to sign a 20-year-old American soccer player and what it might mean for the development of the sport in this country, or the financial well-being of the player, many fans worried about what this might mean for Pulisic's playing time and therefore his performance with the U.S. At a notoriously chaotic club that has no problem spending €50 million or more on players at the same position in consecutive transfer windows, would Pulisic have the same starting-lineup safety he had at Dortmund?

While he struggled with injuries, Pulisic was lights-out when he was on the field in his first season in England. He ranked second on the team in non-penalty goals+assists per 90 minutes (0.68) and had a legitimate case as the best player in the Premier League during Project Restart, the final period of the season played behind closed doors after the campaign was paused because of the COVID-19 pandemic. With Pulisic doing this at age 20, it really seemed like the U.S. might finally have its first superstar.

And then, suddenly, it seemed like the U.S. might have two. A season later, Giovanni Reyna made 23 starts for Dortmund in his age-17 season, scoring five goals and adding four assists. Minutes at a young age are the best predictor of future success and at the end of the 2020-21 season, his was among the top five for career minutes played in the "Big Five" leagues among players born in 2002 or later:

1. Eduardo Camavinga: 4,883 minutes
2. Florian Wirtz: 2,595 minutes
3. Pedri: 2,428 minutes
4. Giovanni Reyna: 2,326 minutes
5. Jude Bellingham: 1,701 minutes

After a breakout campaign with Ajax Amsterdam in 2019-20, Sergiño Dest moved to Barcelona for €21m at the age of 19. Tyler Adams at 21 scored the winning goal in the 2020 Champions League quarterfinals for RB Leipzig and the following year played starter minutes for the team that finished in second place in the Bundesliga. Brenden Aaronson became a starter as a teenager for an FC Salzburg team that was consistently competitive in the Champions League. And in the so-called summer transfer window between the 2019-20 and 2020-21 seasons, Weston McKennie moved to Juventus, which had signed Cristiano Ronaldo a year prior and was coming off its ninth straight Serie A title.

Throw in Chris Richards and Timothy Weah, academy products at Bayern Munich and Paris Saint-Germain, respectively, and there was plenty to get excited about for a country that hadn't even qualified for the previous World Cup.

The reality
Of those eight players, not a single one has hit on his best-case scenario.

Pulisic never started more games for Chelsea than he did in his first season. He continued to struggle with injuries, constant managerial changes at the club and his own poor form. It seems he has found his place at AC Milan after moving last summer, but being one of the better players on one of the better teams in Italy is some way away from the superstar it appeared he legitimately might become.

Pulisic's 12 goals and eight assists this past season were well above his 8.0 expected goals and 4.8 expected assists -- both of which are much better predictors of future performance. He's also taking fewer touches inside the penalty area -- and finding space inside the box used to be his one true world-class skill. Pulisic is a fantastic player and still easily the greatest American to ever play the game, but he's a fringe top-100 player in the world, rather than someone pushing the top 20.

As for Reyna, well, you don't need me to tell you, do you? OK, fine, here it is: He has played fewer minutes combined in the past four seasons than he did in 2020-21 alone. As a professional soccer player, he has barely played professional soccer.

Dest missed the Copa América with a torn ACL, and I think we saw how reliant this team actually is on his tight-space creativity to constantly move the ball upfield. He was one of the best players on one of the best PSV Eindhoven teams of all time this past season, but you'll notice that he's back in the Eredivisie, rather than still with Barcelona.

Adams appeared to have the potential to be a Champions League-level defensive midfielder -- and I genuinely think he has reached that tier of performance at times, both for club and country -- but he spent last season at a Leeds United team that was relegated from the Premier League. He's at AFC Bournemouth now, and he has started one league game since March 2023.

McKennie continues to start for Juventus -- aside from an ill-fated loan spell with Leeds in the second half of last season -- and he is the closest to hitting his 99th-percentile outcome among any of these guys. But at Juve, he's much more of an auxiliary or utility player: someone who makes runs off the ball and fills in space, rather than someone who is going to get on the ball a ton in the midfield. He helps the great players be great.

At the highest level, Aaronson, meanwhile, hasn't shown the ability to produce much at all with the ball. He's a fantastic presser ... and that's about it, which is a problem for an attacker. I still think about the image of him getting stoned in an open-space one-on-one by 32-year-old Daley Blind, as close to a traffic cone as there is among defenders at the highest level, during the Americans' loss to Netherlands at the 2022 World Cup.

Weah and Richards have done well for themselves, the former getting minutes for Juventus and the latter starting for Crystal Palace. And others such as Yunus Musah, Johnny Cardoso, Joe Scally, Malik Tillman and Ricardo Pepi give the U.S. more depth than usual from players who are getting playing time at the highest levels of European soccer. But they're depth players, not difference makers.

Part 2:

The only other potential difference makers we haven't mentioned: Antonee Robinson, who came out of nowhere to become one of the best left-backs in the Premier League for Fulham. (He legitimately might have been starting for England at the Euros had he never committed to the USMNT.) But a defense-first full-back isn't going to put the U.S. over the top in the same way that a star forward or midfielder might.

And then there's Folarin Balogun, who went off injured against Uruguay on Monday and put up impressive shot and xG numbers in his first season with AS Monaco. But he's still only 22 and hasn't yet won a full-time job with his new club.

So the current state of the player pool is that it's deeper than ever before -- these are all still very successful professional soccer players -- but also nowhere near as good as it could've been at the top. And the results bear that out.

Concacaf can't really hang with this U.S. team anymore; the Americans' depth is just too much. And at a major tournament, they can have some success if they have the right draw, the right opponents, or the right players in the right form. At the 2022 World Cup, they didn't concede a goal from open play in the group stages, they drew with England and they played Netherlands closer than the score suggested.

But the Americans are still operating on tight margins. They don't have enough elite players to put these matches beyond a doubt by really controlling the balance of chances. There were no dominant performances in Qatar; one more goal conceded, and they would've been out before the round of 16. Had one of their players, say, punched an opponent in the head 20 minutes into a match against Wales or Iran and been sent off, it seems unlikely that they would've been able to fade that and still get out of the group.

That's the overarching story here, too. Weah's stupid red card against Panama leads to a loss that almost definitely would not have happened without the red card. Without the red card, which really was just a singular event outside of any kind of tactics or game-flow, the U.S. finishes second in the group and probably goes out meekly to Colombia or Brazil in the quarterfinals.

Why do I say that? Well, the Americans just went out meekly to Uruguay in what was a de facto knockout match for them:

It's not easy to chase a game against a top team, but this would've been a poor performance no matter the incentives of both sides. There were some nice moments of incisive possession and physical play in the first half, but it never led to anything dangerous. After the game, Pulisic and Robinson attributed the result to a lack of "quality" in the final third. They meant "quality" in the sense that no one capitalized on any dangerous possession in the final third. But the reality for the U.S. right now is that the potential quality we saw from this roster four or five years ago just hasn't developed as expected.

Don't get me wrong, there are lots of terrible national team managers out there. England is not struggling because of a lack of talent. Portugal did not nearly lose to Slovenia because its player pool isn't good enough. The best you can say that Berhalter did this summer is, well, nothing. He didn't make the team better, and he didn't make it worse. He was just sort of there.

While there are legitimate questions over who the manager of this team should be at the 2026 World Cup, that's still a secondary concern. The primary problem, the one that will have the biggest effect on how far the U.S. goes at the next World Cup, is: Can the golden generation find a way to get back on track in Europe? Or is this -- what we saw on Monday, what we've seen for the past few years -- just it?

It depends on the angle and if you can tell the exact moment the ball hits the Uruguay head. It looked offside initially but the official CONMEBOL graphic froze it earlier so he looked even. You cant tell if if was on his head or not.
This is exactly why "getting it right" doesn't always get it right.

This is partly why I think these guys should go play in the Olympics. I know they won't and that clubs wont let them but perhaps some compromise can be reached where they can just play in the knockout round or something.

You posit six players that should play for the US in the Olympics, but hey, only in the knockout rounds so maybe their clubs will agree. Olympic soccer rosters are 18 players, 16 outfield and two goalies. So your six guys play in the knockout rounds, that means in group play the US has 10 outfield players available. No subs at all. Injuries? To bad, get out there or we are playing a man down. Or hey, that backup goalie is just sitting there, bring him on in the midfield.

The chance that they make the knockout round in your scheme is nearly zero. Or in other words, it would be a huge waste of everyone's time. But one that would almost certainly piss off the player's club teams.

Great plan!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT