ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Did anyone watch the World Series?

I watched bits and pieces, sure. I like baseball, I just don't like what baseball has become. I watched up to the 7th inning last night but had a 6AM meeting this morning so I went to bed.

Reactions: Mikefln
I had the last three games on the tv while I goofed around on my iPad. For some reason baseball is the only sport where I want the league/conference of the Pittsburgh team to win. I don't care if an AFC or Prince of Wales(Eastern) Conference champ wins those respective leagues but for some reason I'll pull for the National Leaguers in the World Series.

I just heard the Dodgers won it. This is the least interest I ever recall in the world series.
Absolutely. Just retired in May and since waking up is not an issue anymore I get to enjoy late evening sports again. Amazing series. Back and forth each game. Way too much micro managing on pitchers though. People hate the Dodgers cause of money but they are actually a very likable team.

I watched all six games but last night was the first game I saw the final out.

We won't have much sports to watch these next several long, dark months.

Yes and enjoyed watching it. I'm sure if the Pirates put a good product on the field most of you would be singing a different tune. Really wanted Atlanta to win it all.

I watched all six games but last night was the first game I saw the final out.

We won't have much sports to watch these next several long, dark months.
Really? We have a lot of football the next 3 months. Basketball is supposed to start in December, Hockey in January.

Reactions: cease10
Yes and enjoyed watching it. I'm sure if the Pirates put a good product on the field most of you would be singing a different tune. Really wanted Atlanta to win it all.
If the Pirates where in it, I'd watch the whole thing. The only MLB playoff games I've watched on TV since 1992 where Pirates playoff games 2013-2015. I hate baseball, but can watch the Pirates in the playoffs, I grew up a 60s-70s Pirate Fan.

Really? We have a lot of football the next 3 months. Basketball is supposed to start in December, Hockey in January.

I was thinking mostly about Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays and given the caliber of the Monday night and Thursday night NFL games, those nights too. I should be sitting down tonight to watch a 76ers-Nets game on TNT. The Penguins would probably be on too.

Taking Snell out last night was a Narduzzi move. You take a guy who had thrown like 75 pitches... and had all four pitches going... and was working on a 2-hit shutout, I believe... and you had Betts coming up, who has struggled against lefties... and you replace him with the guy who set the postseason record for consecutive innings allowing a run or whatever the stats is. Brilliant.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
I was thinking mostly about Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays and given the caliber of the Monday night and Thursday night NFL games, those nights too. I should be sitting down tonight to watch a 76ers-Nets game on TNT. The Penguins would probably be on too.
I guess I don't want to watch sports 7 days a week. I'd be watching the Pens and Pitt basketball in November if they where on, but not much else.

Taking Snell out last night was a Narduzzi move. You take a guy who had thrown like 75 pitches... and had all four pitches going... and was working on a 2-hit shutout, I believe... and you had Betts coming up, who has struggled against lefties... and you replace him with the guy who set the postseason record for consecutive innings allowing a run or whatever the stats is. Brilliant.

But giving Gonsolin the start was an equally baffling decision by Roberts. He had shown nothing in post season and was lucky not to have given up 5 runs in his appearance.

But giving Gonsolin the start was an equally baffling decision by Roberts. He had shown nothing in post season and was lucky not to have given up 5 runs in his appearance.

From what little I've watched, Tampa Bay's offense didn't impress me at all. That seems to be a common theme for the small market teams that have made recent World Series runs. Most had really good pitching staffs but were deficient on offense (as a whole... not saying they didn't have ANY offensive talent). I don't know; maybe the stats disprove me or something. But I think back to those '14 and '15 Royals team, that '16 Indians team, etc.

Reactions: IamHeisenberg
If the Pirates where in it, I'd watch the whole thing. The only MLB playoff games I've watched on TV since 1992 where Pirates playoff games 2013-2015. I hate baseball, but can watch the Pirates in the playoffs, I grew up a 60s-70s Pirate Fan.
Well that makes sense. It's ashame how a once proud organization like the Pirates has hit rock bottom. Small market teams can succeed in MLB but nutting keeps wrecking the ship.

The Rays manager lost the game last night by taking Snell out of the game.
Taking him out was a bad move, for sure, but it did not lose the game for the Rays. They would not have been able to score another run against the Dodgers bullpen, no matter how long the game went. And the Dodgers had consistently scored against the Rays bullpen, which was supposed to be their strength. John Smoltz made the comment that the Rays were not going to win 1-0, because he knew that the Dodgers would score against that bullpen, which they did.

Don't blame analytics for that one, that was just stupid. There's no system in the world that says to take out your ace in the middle of a dominant outing.

I believe a lot of people think his reasoning was to try and squeeze a few innings out of Snell tonight. But I have no idea how that would have been possible. Even Aroldis Chapman in his prime was completely mortal the next day if he threw 25 pitches the day before, much less 75. So I'm guessing he just didn't want Snell to go through the lineup the third time, as he has struggled with that at times. However, I would argue that he probably wasn't as "on" as he was last night during most of those outings. Also, ignoring the splits against with a hitter like Betts coming up was just not smart.

Watching sports on TV doesn't interest me as much as it used to. I watch PITT when its convenient (its frustrating) but pro sports, too much money involved and too much politics.

Reactions: Dan1911
I believe a lot of people think his reasoning was to try and squeeze a few innings out of Snell tonight. But I have no idea how that would have been possible. Even Aroldis Chapman in his prime was completely mortal the next day if he threw 25 pitches the day before, much less 75. So I'm guessing he just didn't want Snell to go through the lineup the third time, as he has struggled with that at times. However, I would argue that he probably wasn't as "on" as he was last night during most of those outings. Also, ignoring the splits against with a hitter like Betts coming up was just not smart.

Yeah, you're certainly right on the thought process (because I do agree that somehow Cash was trying to save Snell for two innings tonight) but obviously the third time thing only holds up if your pitcher isn't dominating with four pitches the first two times through the order though. 😄

You've got a dialed in Snell against Betts (no career platoon splits at all) who was 0-2 with 2 K's, a great lefty in Seager who was 0-2 with 2 K's, and Turner who was 0-2 with 2 K's and COVID positive. It just annoys me to see people blaming analytics for this when it was just a bad decision.

When Betts hit that solo home run you had to wonder if Snell wouldn't have struck him out for the fourth time had he still been in the game.

Not one pitch, although I saw on Twitter that a fan caught a homer un and threw his glove onto the field

Taking him out was a bad move, for sure, but it did not lose the game for the Rays. They would not have been able to score another run against the Dodgers bullpen, no matter how long the game went. And the Dodgers had consistently scored against the Rays bullpen, which was supposed to be their strength. John Smoltz made the comment that the Rays were not going to win 1-0, because he knew that the Dodgers would score against that bullpen, which they did.
How do you know he doesn’t get into the 8th and then bring Castillo in to close it?

Reactions: PharMorNightStocker
I watched maybe 2 innings while surfing the channels. Waiting for the Pirates to be in the Series.

Reactions: Pitt79
How do you know he doesn’t get into the 8th and then bring Castillo in to close it?

Exactly. 1-0 could have won that game. I don't think Anderson would have been the guy they brought in had Snell gone seven innings. Hell, he could have gone eight under the right circumstances.

We'll never know what would have happened. But this isn't some crazy revisionist history people are making up. A dude pitching out of his mind was yanked with one out in the 6th inning after giving up a measly single on his 73rd pitch. To me, that makes no damn sense.

I do not know what would have happened, I am just agreeing with Smoltz that it was unlikely that the game was going to end 1-0, and that the Rays bullpen would need to finish the game in any case.

Don't blame analytics for that one, that was just stupid. There's no system in the world that says to take out your ace in the middle of a dominant outing.
That's exactly what it was - he didn't want Snell going through the lineup for third time based on some metric. Why would you take him out when he's rolling like that? You looked at some calculation that pre-determined your approach and just went with it - although you could have saw Snell was rolling.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT