ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Duquesne won again

I alluded to this in a different post, but Duquesne was up by 11 with 8-1/2 minutes left in the game and blew the whole lead over the next six minutes. They got a big three point play from Tarin Smith with about a minute to go that gave them the lead for good. They had a four point lead with 16 seconds left and almost blew it. They gave up a quick layup and a foul which cut it to one, then after they got fouled they only made one of two for a two point lead. SF missed a shot and the ball went right to a Duquesne player who was standing out of bounds. After video review then put 0.2 on the clock (which was the correct call), which meant that SF could only tip the ball. They were inbounding from under the basket and for some inexplicable reason Duquesne didn't have anyone guarding the inbounder. He actually got it to a teammate in the middle of the lane and he got a hand on if for a tip attempt, but it wasn't close.

Not guarding the inbounder there is a clear mistake. They needed to put a really tall guy on the inbounder to make the pass that much more difficult. They didn't, and it almost cost them.

I alluded to this in a different post, but Duquesne was up by 11 with 8-1/2 minutes left in the game and blew the whole lead over the next six minutes. They got a big three point play from Tarin Smith with about a minute to go that gave them the lead for good. They had a four point lead with 16 seconds left and almost blew it. They gave up a quick layup and a foul which cut it to one, then after they got fouled they only made one of two for a two point lead. SF missed a shot and the ball went right to a Duquesne player who was standing out of bounds. After video review then put 0.2 on the clock (which was the correct call), which meant that SF could only tip the ball. They were inbounding from under the basket and for some inexplicable reason Duquesne didn't have anyone guarding the inbounder. He actually got it to a teammate in the middle of the lane and he got a hand on if for a tip attempt, but it wasn't close.

Not guarding the inbounder there is a clear mistake. They needed to put a really tall guy on the inbounder to make the pass that much more difficult. They didn't, and it almost cost them.
Yeah - I watched the last few seconds - that is exactly what the color man had to say

Reminiscent of the classic Duke-Ky game years ago. Always guard the inbounder.

Yeah - I watched the last few seconds - that is exactly what the color man had to say

I got home from the Pitt game just in time to see them with the 11 point lead shortly before the under 8:00 timeout and watched the rest from there.

Was a hell of a game. I still think USF is the better team and had an off night, but Duquesne did what they had to do and hung on. Tomorrow will be a tougher test for them against a Southern Illinois team that is admittedly getting smoked by Nevada, but has at least a modicum of talent.

Was a hell of a game. I still think USF is the better team and had an off night, but Duquesne did what they had to do and hung on. Tomorrow will be a tougher test for them against a Southern Illinois team that is admittedly getting smoked by Nevada, but has at least a modicum of talent.

I wonder why that isn't set up where the two winners tonight and the two loser tonight play tomorrow? Seems odd.

I wonder why that isn't set up where the two winners tonight and the two loser tonight play tomorrow? Seems odd.

The Christmas tournament at the Orleans is (I think) always predetermined, which doesn’t make a lot of sense. It usually features mid major teams and draws very poorly.

Their Thanksgiving tournament is the exact opposite. It has good, sometimes spectacular fields and the winners meet each other in the final. Next years field is about as good as it gets. The 4 teams are North Carolina, Michigan St, Texas, and UCLA. With those four programs in a cozy 8,000 seat arena tickets will be hard to come by and prices will be high. When that Arena is packed like it is for the WCC conference finals it is a great place to watch a game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT