Votes: 18 56.3%
  • Team 2

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Team 3

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Team 4

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters
It (the teams) are really well constructed. Team 1 has Mario, maybe the greatest player of all time. It has nice balance. Kenny Wregget was not a bad goaltender. Should probably have been Denis Herron.

Team 2 has 2 Hofers in Francis and Jagr. The rest of the crew were close to HOFers.

Team 3 Has 3 HOFers (wait is Carlyle in?? But goaltender, do we get the young Murray or the what happened to Murray??

Team 4 Has likely 3 HOFers, but I would take Sid and Mario over Geno.

We have been blessed as Penguin fans.

It (the teams) are really well constructed. Team 1 has Mario, maybe the greatest player of all time. It has nice balance. Kenny Wregget was not a bad goaltender. Should probably have been Denis Herron.

Team 2 has 2 Hofers in Francis and Jagr. The rest of the crew were close to HOFers.

Team 3 Has 3 HOFers (wait is Carlyle in?? But goaltender, do we get the young Murray or the what happened to Murray??

Team 4 Has likely 3 HOFers, but I would take Sid and Mario over Geno.

We have been blessed as Penguin fans.
I go with 2.

People forget how many good players were on those Stanley Cup teams in the early 90s.

When you have guys like Ron Francis and Bryan Trottier heading up your lower lines (even though they were older) you had veteran leaders who also happened to be very skilled players as well. It was like the perfect storm...

To think about the depth back then was pretty crazy.

Silly/fun poll, but impossible to decide if you aren't defining which era we are talking about.

Team 1 with Mario and that defensive pairing of Gonchar and Orpik in their primes would be hard to stop...if you are playing in the pre neutral zone trappings that occurred late 90s through 2000s.

Team 2 is very good, but when you have talent and one of the greatest of all time, you always take the team with the best player. Going with Mario and Team 1.

In a team with only one line, I would be concerned about Mario's durability.

My all time Pens first line ,
head coach - Badger
LW- Rick Tocchet
C-Mario Lemieux
RW -SIdney Crosby
LD- Larry Murphy
RD-Ulf Samsueelson
and at goalie I will select
Tom Barrasso.

Last edited:
My all time Pens first line ,
head coach - Badger
LW- Rick Tocchet
C-Mario Lemieux
RW -SIdney Crosby
LD- Larry Murphy
RD-Ulf Samsueelson
and at goalie I will select
Tom Barrasso.
???? Tocchet was a RW.

Kevin Stevens was a better player and a LW. Paul Coffey anyone? Marc Andre Fleury??

C Sidney
RW Mario
LW Stevens
LD Coffey
RD Murphy
G MAF

Come on. Only one of the teams has Mario. I don’t need to see any of the others. Team 1 for me. And honestly, it’s pretty well constructed. I don’t care if Kenny wregget gives up an extra goal a game. No one is out scoring that team, and that defensive pairing gives you everything you need.

Tocchet was my dude. he was a brusier that scored 50 back in the day.
He is my man.
You can go with someone else.
and I like Barrasso over Fleury.
I love 29 but not as much as 35.

Tocchet was my dude. he was a brusier that scored 50 back in the day.
He is my man.
You can go with someone else.
and I like Barrasso over Fleury.
I love 29 but not as much as 35.
I loved Tocchet also. But Artie can (and did) score 50 and also could kick anyone else. He was like 2" taller and 25lbs heavier than Tocch. Both were bad asses. But if you are going to play them, might as well play them on their right wings.

with superstars like 66 and 87 , there is no such thing as assigned wings.
THAT was a designation.
With that lineup you dont lose,,,,,,,,, in nhl 94 of course.

Come on. Only one of the teams has Mario. I don’t need to see any of the others. Team 1 for me. And honestly, it’s pretty well constructed. I don’t care if Kenny wregget gives up an extra goal a game. No one is out scoring that team, and that defensive pairing gives you everything you need.
But each of those players will get very tired playing an entire game

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT