• Pierogi

• "Pittsburgh" cream donuts

• Haluski

• Burnt almond torte

• Turkey Devonshire

• Wedding Soup

• Other (add in comments)

Results are only viewable after voting.
When I first watched “The Deer Hunter” in Newport Beach, California, at the intermission people (Californians) were talking about the “Polish Wedding.” I wanted to scream out, “You idiots, it’s a Ukrainian (or Russian, but since it was supposed to be Clairton. I went with Ukrainian) Orthodox Wedding. I didn’t. But, what really bothered me about the scene was No Cookie Table At The Reception. A wedding reception at the VFW in Clairton without a cookie table? Never happened!

When I found out later they filmed it in Cleveland, I figured those Ohio Heathens wouldn’t know about the Cookie Table.
They actually filmed it in Duquesne.

Reactions: Dan1911
So, while we are talking about our eastern European traditions, did anyone's Baba's ever use the word "pookit"? I'm trying to figure out if mine just invented the word or if is Slovak slang for passing gas.

That is big in the Amish area southeast of Cleveland. Burton, OH. They have a maple festival every year. The annual youth travel basketball tournament plays for the Maple Bucket Trophy. My kid was pissed when they won and all they got was a chance to pose for pictures with a rusty old bucket. Didn't even get to keep it. I was nervous that I'd be taking them all for tetanus shots after the celebration.
Amish and Mennonites also use something called table syrup. From what I can tell it's similar to thinned out molasses but I never tried it. Apparently it's used like any other condiment.

the early steel mill scenes were actually in mingo junction ohio, including when they get off work and walk out and go to the bar, they speed past the truck, that was all in that town in ohio. the actual bar was in the same town until it burnt down 15-20 years ago. they actually built the bar for the movie and kept it open for the steel mill workers until it burned down.

the orthodox church is in tremont ohio, so when they were getting ready, dressed up for the wedding, that was in tremont. I think the funeral scene at the end was in mckeesport as well as the cemetery..

This mountain scene was filmed in Kane PA, north of clarion. i've been on this road a few times going hunting myself. up by the allegheny forest. very pretty glaciers up in that part of pennsylvania..

deer hunter film Locations

yes, im kidding. i know it's in washington state.

Last edited:
Golubsi is a lot of work to make, but well worth someone else's time.
My old neighbor back in the valley claims that real Golabki (or however it's really spelled in English because there are probably a dozen ways people spell it and say it) is made with kasza or what we call buckwheat groats. You cook the groats and wrap them with cabbage. To serve, you brown the rolls in some butter. I have no idea what all she puts in them but man are they good. She only makes them for Russian Christmas. The theory is that the dish was somehow borrowed from the Chinese and explains why rice is used. I'm not any sort of an expert but I'm going to guess that people in Eastern Europe stuffed it with whatever they had and as we all know, the Bubba's made whatever was in it taste like heaven.

Pigs in a blanket are hot dogs wrapped in crescent rolls in my house. We called cabbage rolls by their Slovak name, Halupki.
Galumpki to the Pollocks...My Polish mom married my Slovak dad so much like LIsa on Green Acres she had to defer and go with the man's wishes so halupki from there on out...and they were great.

is a donut with whipped cream in it, aka Pittsburgh creme donut at dunkin, really a local thing? I feel like other parts of the country have donuts with whipped cream in it. it's not even a custard either, just whipped cream.

I feel like dunkin donuts just calls it pittsburgh cream cause we are in pittsburgh and you can get the same exact donut in cleveland or st louis but they call it st. louis cream donuts there.

is a donut with whipped cream in it, aka Pittsburgh creme donut at dunkin, really a local thing? I feel like other parts of the country have donuts with whipped cream in it. it's not even a custard either, just whipped cream.

I feel like dunkin donuts just calls it pittsburgh cream cause we are in pittsburgh and you can get the same exact donut in cleveland or st louis but they call it st. louis cream donuts there.
I think whipped cream filled donuts are common all over the US. The only uniquely Pittsburgh sweet pastry/cookie is the Eat & Park Smiley.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Pickled pigs feet. Sauerkraut soup on New Year’s Eve, Stuffed cabbage, fried jumbo Sammy, haluski, mom made fried dough with powdered sugar and I can’t spell it. “Cheregi?”
My wedding reception was at Ascension Hall Clairton. Big cookie table

I live in SC now, and some people here, do know about Primanti’s sandwiches.

Custard filled is Boston Cream. Buttercream or whipped cream filled is Pittsburgh Cream, but I think Boston Creame is generally more popular as a name elsewhere.

I have a cousin in Franklin who taps her maple trees to make her own syrup.

Wow, is it good.
Yes I have a friend who has family that lives near Somerset with a large parcel of wooded land, and his family taps their family trees to make a batch of syrup once a year. He brings Mason jars of it in to work once a year for our office members. Really good

Reactions: OH Pete
Custard filled is Boston Cream. Buttercream or whipped cream filled is Pittsburgh Cream, but I think Boston Cream is generally more popular as a name elsewhere.
Every donut shop in every city and state, as well as every province in Canada, has always offered a vanilla creme filled donut with chocolate frosting. Basically a round cream-filled Long John. Some local joint in WPA may have called theirs a Pittsburgh Creme and started a local trend, but that is most definitely not a Pittsburgh thing. I have never seen one called a Pittsburgh creme, anywhere I've ever been.

Those same places also always have had Boston Creme custard filled donuts and called them Boston Cremes, so name aside I don't think Bostonites can claim those as some local specialty either.

FWTFIW

91o7KQl09CL.jpg

Every donut shop in every city and state, as well as every province in Canada, has always offered a vanilla creme filled donut with chocolate frosting. Basically a round cream-filled Long John. Some local joint in WPA may have called theirs a Pittsburgh Creme and started a local trend, but that is most definitely not a Pittsburgh thing. I have never seen one called a Pittsburgh creme, anywhere I've ever been.

Those same places also always have had Boston Creme custard filled donuts and called them Boston Cremes, so name aside I don't think Bostonites can claim those as some local specialty either.

FWTFIW

91o7KQl09CL.jpg

I don't disagre with you, but there are places in other cities that call those donots Pittsburgh Cream. It might be a Dunkin thing.

I don't disagre with you, but there are places in other cities that call those donots Pittsburgh Cream. It might be a Dunkin thing.
If it is a Dunkin thing, its only in the Burgh and close surrounds.

Everywhere else, Dunkin calls it a Bavarian Creme.

I don't think I've ever had this in-depth of a discussion about donuts, and I rarely eat the damned things. But after all this I think I may need one tomorrow morning. I'll post a pic of the open-mouthed bewilderment on the other side of the Dunkin counter when I ask for a Pittsburgh Creme.

Djn_zdmWsAcQpbi

Reactions: h2p_5150
If it is a Dunkin thing, its only in the Burgh and close surrounds.

Everywhere else, Dunkin calls it a Bavarian Creme.

I don't think I've ever had this in-depth of a discussion about donuts, and I rarely eat the damned things. But after all this I think I may need one tomorrow morning. I'll post a pic of the open-mouthed bewilderment on the other side of the Dunkin counter when I ask for a Pittsburgh Creme.

Djn_zdmWsAcQpbi

Well, that's probaly why it has 0 votes!

Well, that's probaly why it has 0 votes!
I'm kind of wondering what drove the original poster to list wedding soup on the list. Every Italian restaurant from the northern most tip of Maine to the southern most tip of Hawaii serves wedding soup. It also rightfully has 0 votes. :)

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
I heard an interview with the Rusted Root guy and he was asked what food people in Pittsburgh ate; he said stuffed cabbage. Was that normal for yinzers?

Also, how is this OT? This is completely on topic for this board.
It was totally normal for Greeks, we ate that all the time.

I know , when I was younger my family referred to stuffed cabbage as Pigs in a blanket . That was as Pittsburghie as I can think of .
I never heard that until I was grown, because nobody spoke English in my house, it was just another version of Dolmades, like grape leaves, I never heard that either. I was like 25-30 years old before I knew a lot of American things.

We like to call that Detroit Style pizza where I come from. It has always been Detroit Style pizza here, now it's called that all over the country. Square but also the use of brick cheese is what makes it Detroit Style.

Detroit Style pizza
I always considered Detroit style pizza to have the toppings in opposite order, in addition to being square.

Last edited:
Reactions: pittdan77
I'm kind of wondering what drove the original poster to list wedding soup on the list. Every Italian restaurant from the northern most tip of Maine to the southern most tip of Hawaii serves wedding soup. It also rightfully has 0 votes. :)

It's not the most Pittsburgh-iest food compared to fries on a sandwich, or an original Pittsburgh creation, but it might be more popular in Pittsburgh than anywhere else. I worked with a guy who moved to PA from CT, and he never heard of Wedding soup before then. That's when I realized that it was more regional than I had known.

And if we made a list of most iconic Philly food, Cheese Steaks would probably be the topm vote getter, but those are servered everywhere, too.

It's not the most Pittsburgh-iest food compared to fries on a sandwich, or an original Pittsburgh creation, but it might be more popular in Pittsburgh than anywhere else. I worked with a guy who moved to PA from CT, and he never heard of Wedding soup before then. That's when I realized that it was more regional than I had known.

And if we made a list of most iconic Philly food, Cheese Steaks would probably be the topm vote getter, but those are servered everywhere, too.

Yes - but Philly is credited for originating and making them famous. Hence the name Philadelphia Cheesesteak. Like Buffalo Wings.

Bottom line - If I tell my Cleveland born and raised neighbors that Pierogies and Wedding Soup are Pittsburgh foods, they'd tell me I''m crazy and that I think that the world revolves around Pittsburgh (which to me, it does). Salad with fries or a sandwich with vinegar based coleslaw and fries, they wouldn't call me crazy. They'd still tell me that I think the world revolves around Pittsburgh though. But they wouldn't call me crazy. :)

Reactions: Ski11585
Yes - but Philly is credited for originating and making them famous. Hence the name Philadelphia Cheesesteak. Like Buffalo Wings.

Bottom line - If I tell my Cleveland born and raised neighbors that Pierogies and Wedding Soup are Pittsburgh foods, they'd tell me I''m crazy and that I think that the world revolves around Pittsburgh (which to me, it does). Salad with fries or a sandwich with vinegar based coleslaw and fries, they wouldn't call me crazy. They'd still tell me that I think the world revolves around Pittsburgh though. But they wouldn't call me crazy. :)
I don't think the question was isolated to a food that was developed in Pittsburgh or limited to Pittsburgh. I'm only getting a sandwich with fries on at Primanti's, though will put fries on burgers. However, it's not like Philly where you can go to a bunch of places with cheesesteaks. Primanti's is THE place for fries on sandwiches.

Chipped ham is a great option, especially when you consider a ham barbecue, but not really something you're ordering at many restaurants. I voted pierogis not because Pittsburgh is the only place known for pierogis, but because of family tradition. It is a Christmas Eve tradition for my family, homemade across multiple generations. My grandma and other grandmas making them for their church. Also, if I wanted to do a specialty food tour, pierogis would be the top choice with so many good options around the city. Plus they have the pierogi festival every year and any food you have a festival around is important to the city.

My old neighbor back in the valley claims that real Golabki (or however it's really spelled in English because there are probably a dozen ways people spell it and say it) is made with kasza or what we call buckwheat groats. You cook the groats and wrap them with cabbage. To serve, you brown the rolls in some butter. I have no idea what all she puts in them but man are they good. She only makes them for Russian Christmas. The theory is that the dish was somehow borrowed from the Chinese and explains why rice is used. I'm not any sort of an expert but I'm going to guess that people in Eastern Europe stuffed it with whatever they had and as we all know, the Bubba's made whatever was in it taste like heaven.
That food is a dying art. Even in Europe it isn’t so common anymore.

Whoever voted for pierogi needs to leave the friendly confines of Western PA and live a little. Pierogies are not a Pittsburgh food. I'd venture to say they are just as popular in Cleveland as they are in Pittsburgh. Also very popular in Buffalo and Milwaukee.
You must be a young man.
You need to visit the churches in the Mon and Ohio valleys that were built by selling pierogies made by the Bupkas and sold on Fridays.
In Ambridge St Mary’s was called “St Pierogies”.

Reactions: Upg bobcat
i dont want to offend anyone but with regards to pierogi, can you really screw it up? I like them, dont get me wrong but if i made you a plate from the frozen ones at a grocery store and authentic ones made that day from some old lady in the strip or polish hill, could you tell the difference?
Absolutely. YES.

Reactions: pittiswhereiamfrom2
You must be a young man.
You need to visit the churches in the Mon and Ohio valleys that were built by selling pierogies made by the Bupkas and sold on Fridays.
In Ambridge St Mary’s was called “St Pierogies”.
I don’t know. Maybe this mid-50’s Slovak/Polish Catholic son and grandson of Mon Valley mill workers who now lives in Cleveland doesn’t understand. BTW, both of my Babas made great pierogies and halupki.
I will let the folks in Cleveland’s Slavic Village know that they have been eating Pittsburgh food all their lives. 🤣

The final scene was in Duquesne. The mill scenes were in Cleveland. The wedding at St Theodosius in Cleveland. The VA scene in Cleveland and the scenes with the car racing the 18 wheeler and the bar scenes in Mingo Junction Ohio.

I don’t think anyone here is claiming that you can’t get these foods anywhere else, just that they were standards in Pittsburgh.

Don’t get so defensive about pierogies and wedding soup.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT