• "Pittsburgh" cream donuts

• Haluski

• Burnt almond torte

• Turkey Devonshire

• Wedding Soup

• Other (add in comments)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Pot creates all sorts of crazy culinary creations .. So i'm told ... :rolleyes:
I recall in the 80's combining a steak m sandwich with a nutty buddy ..
Delicious ...

So you added sweet cream and chocolate to beef? Interesting.Definately, not the worst combo in the world. I think cocoa can actually work as a seasoning on a steak. Not sure about both that and cream. I suppose you could try a Steak Au Poivre style dish, with the cream and brandy on a seared cocoa rubbed steak. Might work with some tweaking.

Reactions: mike 301
They're pretty big here in NE Ohio. Several restaurants serve them. Pierogi of Cleveland in Richfield is one of the most popular, but there are several others.

They are popular here, just not as popular as in Pittsburgh.

So you added sweet cream and chocolate to beef? Interesting.Definately, not the worst combo in the world. I think cocoa can actually work as a seasoning on a steak. Not sure about both that and cream. I suppose you could try a Steak Au Poivre style dish, with the cream and brandy on a seared cocoa rubbed steak. Might work with some tweaking.
Yeah .. Exactly what I was thinking ... :oops:

Pigs in a blanket are hot dogs wrapped in crescent rolls in my house. We called cabbage rolls by their Slovak name, Halupki.
My Mom is Scotch-Irish.

Hot dogs were served on white bread with ketchup - I’m sure the main reason I hated hot dogs (number one way to make a crappy tasting food worse).

We may be missing one of the most unique culinary items in Pittsburgh --- or at least the area. The Cookie Table. What Pgh. wedding takes place without the cookie table?
When I first watched “The Deer Hunter” in Newport Beach, California, at the intermission people (Californians) were talking about the “Polish Wedding.” I wanted to scream out, “You idiots, it’s a Ukrainian (or Russian, but since it was supposed to be Clairton. I went with Ukrainian) Orthodox Wedding. I didn’t. But, what really bothered me about the scene was No Cookie Table At The Reception. A wedding reception at the VFW in Clairton without a cookie table? Never happened!

When I found out later they filmed it in Cleveland, I figured those Ohio Heathens wouldn’t know about the Cookie Table.

Golubsi is a lot of work to make, but well worth someone else's time.
In our house they were called Holishkes. If you think about it, basically the same food (with small differences in filling and seasonings) was cooked in working class families from Ireland across Northern and Eastern Europe all the way to Russia. Our Irish neighbor, born in Donegal, made them very similarly to my mother’s.

When I first watched “The Deer Hunter” in Newport Beach, California, at the intermission people (Californians) were talking about the “Polish Wedding.” I wanted to scream out, “You idiots, it’s a Ukrainian (or Russian, but since it was supposed to be Clairton. I went with Ukrainian) Orthodox Wedding. I didn’t. But, what really bothered me about the scene was No Cookie Table At The Reception. A wedding reception at the VFW in Clairton without a cookie table? Never happened!

When I found out later they filmed it in Cleveland, I figured those Ohio Heathens wouldn’t know about the Cookie Table.
they made up for it by giving rolling rock a ton of free publicity in that wedding/reception scene..

Fries on sandwich or salad; but the fries can’t be any old frozen fries, they need to be fresh cut and fried in peanut oil.

pierogi and haluski were popular in pittsburgh due to the polish/eastern european immigrants. think at one time in the early/mid 20th century, pittsburgh had one of the largest eastern european communities in the US.

no, it didnt originate in pittsburgh, was just popular with it's european immigrant culture.

Fish sandwich? I think someone just wanted to pronounce it as sammich and make a joke. which is quite dumb because i've never heard anyone ever actually say Sammich in a serious way, no matter how strong the pittsburgh accent is. just a really dumb joke imo

my guess to the original question would be your chipped ham then turned into Ham Barbeque. obviously a big part of that was Isalys. ironically, i believe isaly's actually started in ohio but it's expansion into pittsburgh put it on the map..
Not only did Isaly’s provide the chipped ham, they also started selling the barbecue sauce as well. I haven’t bought it in the past few weeks, but I know that stores such as Shop ‘n Save were selling barbecue sauce with the Isaly’s label near their deli counter.

Last edited:
I boiled hot dogs , cut them up and served them with baked beans ..
Yum ... Kids loved them ...

Just outside the city, where the Beaver River flows into the Ohio, Jerry's Curb Service claims credit for inventing the Pittsburgh salad. "It was on a fateful night in the early 1960s that the now famous Steak Salad was born," the website recounts. "A customer placed a rather unusual order—a steak sandwich, hold the bun, add fries and salad dressing. Not one to disappoint a customer, Donna Reed [wife of owner Jerry Reed] placed the order. She noticed the man cut up the steak, mixed in the fries and poured the salad dressing on top. Curious about this rather odd concoction, Donna decided to try it for herself, but with one small change. Donna placed her sliced steak, fries and salad dressing atop a fresh bed of lettuce." But did Donna's mysterious customer really invent the Pittsburgh salad? Hilltop Grill, across the Beaver River in Rochester, may disagree—they, too, claim to be the salad's originators.

Had plenty at both places. Smelts and a pitcher at Hilltop also.

Attended too many Hungarian affairs in East Cleveland back in the day. The table was always there.

Fries on iceberg lettuce with beefsteak tomatoes drowned in hidden valley ranch.

Hey . I must say . My 14 year old grand daughter can't believe what we used to eat ... But it was good !! lOl ..

1/2” thick, well done ribeye steak at Ponderosa Steakhouse.
My ex girlfriend who worked at Outback, her nightmare order tip wise was the dude who:
1) Ordered Outback Special. Well done.
2) Loaded Baked Potato
3) Salad with French Dressing
4) Budweiser.

She knew to expect no more than 10% tip.

Did anyone eat a dish called wooshel or wushel or something like that? My grandmother made it when I was young ... it was a dish with peas and ground beef, and I think maybe onions.

My ex girlfriend who worked at Outback, her nightmare order tip wise was the dude who:
1) Ordered Outback Special. Well done.
2) Loaded Baked Potato
3) Salad with French Dressing
4) Budweiser.

She knew to expect no more than 10% tip.

What's the Outback Special?

Whoever voted for pierogi needs to leave the friendly confines of Western PA and live a little. Pierogies are not a Pittsburgh food. I'd venture to say they are just as popular in Cleveland as they are in Pittsburgh. Also very popular in Buffalo and Milwaukee.

They’re pretty big here in metro Detroit and in Michigan. Even bigger in Chicago and Illinois.

At the same time, even though fish sandwiches are popular just about everywhere, as an outsider with a lot of family in the Burgh I think the Pittsburgh fish sammich tradition is its own thing (how many times I heard my old Uncle Joe announce he’s gonna go down to Wholey’s in the Strip and pick up some fish sammiches) so I would definitely consider that a quintessential Pittsburgh-y food.

pierogi and haluski were popular in pittsburgh due to the polish/eastern european immigrants. think at one time in the early/mid 20th century, pittsburgh had one of the largest eastern european communities in the US.

no, it didnt originate in pittsburgh, was just popular with it's european immigrant culture.

Fish sandwich? I think someone just wanted to pronounce it as sammich and make a joke. which is quite dumb because i've never heard anyone ever actually say Sammich in a serious way, no matter how strong the pittsburgh accent is. just a really dumb joke imo

my guess to the original question would be your chipped ham then turned into Ham Barbeque. obviously a big part of that was Isalys. ironically, i believe isaly's actually started in ohio but it's expansion into pittsburgh put it on the map..
Screw you Mellon! 🤣

I never heard of Ragu on it.

Mrs. Butterworth’s in the 70’s. Maple syrup, if I had it today.
My mom would put spaghetti sauce on it for us if we were having it at lunch. Maybe Ragu, maybe Hunts, maybe a local brand, whatever was on sale.

Syrup, if for breakfast. Could have been Log Cabin, Mrs. B, the Syrup Formerly Known as Aunt Jemima, Shop n Save brand…again whatever on sale. Maybe a dab of Blue Bonnet too. I don’t know that I ever tasted real maple syrup until I was in my 20s…

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
When I lived in Polish Hill my sister and I used to go down to Charlie Bly’s on Penn Ave in Strip District and get big salads with steak fries on it. Quite honestly I had not had that prior to that establishment that I can recall.

My mom would put spaghetti sauce on it for us if we were having it at lunch. Maybe Ragu, maybe Hunts, maybe a local brand, whatever was on sale.

Syrup, if for breakfast. Could have been Log Cabin, Mrs. B, the Syrup Formerly Known as Aunt Jemima, Shop n Save brand…again whatever on sale. Maybe a dab of Blue Bonnet too. I don’t know that I ever tasted real maple syrup until I was in my 20s…
I have a cousin in Franklin who taps her maple trees to make her own syrup.

Wow, is it good.

Reactions: USN_Panther
I have a cousin in Franklin who taps her maple trees to make her own syrup.

Wow, is it good.
That is big in the Amish area southeast of Cleveland. Burton, OH. They have a maple festival every year. The annual youth travel basketball tournament plays for the Maple Bucket Trophy. My kid was pissed when they won and all they got was a chance to pose for pictures with a rusty old bucket. Didn't even get to keep it. I was nervous that I'd be taking them all for tetanus shots after the celebration.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT