ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Golf Courses

Anybody ever play that par 3 out in Ligonier? I always thought it looked cool and "woodsy" as a kid, but it was gone by the time I actually wanted to play it.
It was owned by Idlewild Park but they left it go downhill and closed it. I used to take my daughter there to practice when she was young. A fun par three in the woods. A real shame that it closed.

Havnt played in the burg in years. But when I did my go to courses were Cedar Brook, Riverview, Willowbrook (nice 9 hole course off of 51), Lindenwood, Quick Silver, and Hickory Heights. All pretty decent courses. Cedar Brook was much nicer before they expanded it. Olde Stonewall is nice and my Fav was Champion Lakes.

Expanding to the US, theres a great course at the Sheraton in Tuscon. Boulders is an awsome course near Phoenix. Half Moon Bay is another tremendous course and of Course theres Torrey Pines.

If you ever get a chance the resort courses at Pines Valley near Branson are well worth the visit. And theres a tremdous course at the Primlands in Va.

The Robert Trent Jones Courses in Bama and Georgia are all Fantastic. Capital Hill is my fav but havnt played all of them yet.

Then of course there is Myrtle. The Dye courses are great by my Fav is Prestwick. Fantastic course

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Man it is a shame....I have basically totally given up golf. I used to love it, especially living in South Carolina.
So my local courses is a bit dated. But yeah I really like Lindenwood, Quicksilver was a bear for length. Birdsfoot. Saxon. Pittsburgh North are more local for me.

Hell, I am old enough to golf on Oakmont..............................East. What now exists as auxillary land for the pro shop and bus parking for the US Open.

Man it is a shame....I have basically totally given up golf. I used to love it, especially living in South Carolina.
So my local courses is a bit dated. But yeah I really like Lindenwood, Quicksilver was a bear for length. Birdsfoot. Saxon. Pittsburgh North are more local for me.

Hell, I am old enough to golf on Oakmont..............................East. What now exists as auxillary land for the pro shop and bus parking for the US Open.
SC/NC area has some great tracks. I belong to a club now so I dont usually play publics but there are fantasic courses around here. One of my favs was Ballantyne resort but they converted it to office complexes

Havnt played in the burg in years. But when I did my go to courses were Cedar Brook, Riverview, Willowbrook (nice 9 hole course off of 51), Lindenwood, Quick Silver, and Hickory Heights. All pretty decent courses. Cedar Brook was much nicer before they expanded it. Olde Stonewall is nice and my Fav was Champion Lakes.

Expanding to the US, theres a great course at the Sheraton in Tuscon. Boulders is an awsome course near Phoenix. Half Moon Bay is another tremendous course and of Course theres Torrey Pines.

If you ever get a chance the resort courses at Pines Valley near Branson are well worth the visit. And theres a tremdous course at the Primlands in Va.

The Robert Trent Jones Courses in Bama and Georgia are all Fantastic. Capital Hill is my fav but havnt played all of them yet.

Then of course there is Myrtle. The Dye courses are great by my Fav is Prestwick. Fantastic course
i always try to bring up a course in myrtle i played years and years ago that was incredible, called "The witch." Unfortunately it's not there anymore. you played a hole then got into golf cart and would drive into woods, on a bridge over swamp land, thickest woods in the world with little light and then voila, it'd open up to a beautiful hole.

then you play the hole, get in cart and drive into woods, over swampland on a raised bridge, thru dark woods and voila, next hole. Was really cool golf course.

Also played wicked stick i think, i believe it was same owners. i mean, most courses in myrtle are sweet so maybe these dont stand out but i loved them.

SC/NC area has some great tracks. I belong to a club now so I dont usually play publics but there are fantasic courses around here. One of my favs was Ballantyne resort but they converted it to office complexes
Man, it has been almost 25 years since I lived in Greenville. I looked around, because of alot of the development, alot of courses are gone or changed. But used to play a bunch up to Tryon and Hendersonville out to Clemson and along that area.

Another couple of really nice NC courses are River Landing in Wallace NC. One of the Nicest courses I've played on. The other is Cape Fear in Wilmington.

Its really hard to pick a favorite or even a top 5. Thats kind of the great thing about golf there are so many unique and really enjoyable courses that have their own character. Its just an awesome sport for all ages.

We have a travel group, play mostly north and west of Pgh. Also take 2-3 overnight trips. Some of best courses for me are Boulder Creek near Strongsville, OH, and Whispering Woods near Erie. Definitely play those if you get a chance. Locally for me, I like Olde Stonewall (pricey), Cranberry Highlands, Kennsington, Mill Creek, and Firestone Farms. Oak Tree in West Middlesex has a nice layout, but fell on some hard times. Pro there is bringing it back slowly.
I’ve already commented on Kensington with a thumbs up in another post. You’re mentioning another great Ohio course in your post here…Boulder Creek. As with Kensington, highly recommend it if you’re willing to make the drive from PGH. It’s not really in Strongsvilke though, a lot closer to PGH right off the OH turnpike in Streetsboro.

I haven't played golf in years. Played nearly every evening when on TAD with the Navy in Beaufort SC way back. Stayed in the BOQ on Parris Island and usually played the course on the base.
The alligators all over the place freaked me out though.

I haven't played golf in years. Played nearly every evening when on TAD with the Navy in Beaufort SC way back. Stayed in the BOQ on Parris Island and usually played the course on the base.
The alligators all over the place freaked me out though.
I played in a course in Beaufort or right outside of it, and hit a ball next to a pond and then an Alligator started to come out to check on what was happening and I was like "no way".

Reactions: USN_Panther
I’ve already commented on Kensington with a thumbs up in another post. You’re mentioning another great Ohio course in your post here…Boulder Creek. As with Kensington, highly recommend it if you’re willing to make the drive from PGH. It’s not really in Strongsvilke though, a lot closer to PGH right off the OH turnpike in Streetsboro.
My bad. You are correct. It is Streetsboro. Great public course.

Haven't played Cedarbrook for a long time, but remember liking the gold course.

Another I haven't played for a while is Champion Lakes, but I always enjoyed playing there.

I'll throw Madison Club out there as well.
Haven't played Champion Lakes for a decade or so, but I agree that it was a good place to play. Shooting the shit with Groat while he was hanging about was a nice touch for us Pitt guys.

Reactions: Seneca_Valley

I used to love playing Oakmont East. Close to home and on the hill you could see the US Steel building.

I used to love playing Oakmont East. Close to home and on the hill you could see the US Steel building.
Course was unplayable in the summer. It literally turned into concrete. The only benefit was driving the ball downhill on #18 and getting 150 yards of extra roll.

The greens were nice in the spring and fall though. I remember they used to harvest sections of various greens when they were doing work on Oakmont.

Course was unplayable in the summer. It literally turned into concrete. The only benefit was driving the ball downhill on #18 and getting 150 yards of extra roll.

The greens were nice in the spring and fall though. I remember they used to harvest sections of various greens when they were doing work on Oakmont.
Yeah those were good greens. Those greens were a hybrid. A cross of, ah, Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensemilia

That extra roll made me feel like John Daly.

Linden Hall- Two inches from a hole-in-one there. Next to the Stoneys factory. Nice clubhouse/grounds
Lindenwood-- Grew up down the road from there. Used to sneak fishing rods in our bags and go for trout. Our round of golf took 5-6 hours and we always came home smelling a little fishy.
Cedarbrook--A nice course minus the interstate buzzing the whole time. Close proximity to several Sheetz locations.
Rolling Green--I drove two par fours here due to them being straight downhill over a cliff or with a sky shot, taking out the gully below and putting it on the back fringe with a smooth swing.
Oakmont Public-- So I can tell people I played Oakmont. Is it still there? I can't remember if that was its real name. I think people parked on it for the US open, lol.

Schenley Park: Was it the 2nd hole that you have to drive over a fence over a road onto a green that is a hill? A dump, but what memories. Used to sneak out there at night in August to catch the Perseid meteor shower.

Also, is Quicksilver still there? I never hear about it anymore.
LOL: Mt Lebanon and the blind par 3 . You have to ring the bell to let the group behind you it's okay to fire away.

Due to two back surgeries, I retired from golf and I never had another back problem.

Last edited:
Linden Hall- Two inches from a hole-in-one there. Next to the Stoneys factory. Nice clubhouse/grounds
Lindenwood-- Grew up down the road from there. Used to sneak fishing rods in our bags and go for trout. Our round of golf took 5-6 hours and we always came home smelling a little fishy.
Cedarbrook--A nice course minus the interstate buzzing the whole time. Close proximity to several Sheetz locations.
Rolling Green--I drove two par fours here due to them being straight downhill over a cliff or with a sky shot, taking out the gully below and putting it on the back fringe with a smooth swing.
Oakmont Public-- So I can tell people I played Oakmont. Is it still there? I can't remember if that was its real name. I think people parked on it for the US open, lol.

Schenley Park: Was it the 2nd hole that you have to drive over a fence over a road onto a green that is a hill? A dump, but what memories. Used to sneak out there at night in August to catch the Perseid meteor shower.

LOL: Mt Lebanon and the blind par 3 . You have to ring the bell to let the group behind you it's okay to fire away.

Due to two back surgeries, I retired from golf and I never had another back problem.
Oakmont East I think has been gone since like the 1994 US Open.

That par 3 at Lebo is still semi blind - moved the tee box on top of the hill. Bell still there though. Old #1 is now 7. First hole is now the other par three up the hill which I guess used to be 4.

Reactions: Dan1911

Yes quicksilver is still there. Played it last year.

Reactions: Dan1911

Schenley Bob O’Conner is mostly a 9 hole course now , so #2 , 8, and 10 no longer go over the road .
With 2 it was more a second shot over the fence and road.
I kinda miss the old 18 layout -
But they have a short course on the old front 9 mostly used for USA kids golf and lessons

I’m sure its easier to maintain , and irs been kept in good shape considering how cheap it is to play

I played Oakmont East once, and I think it was the 1st hole that I hit a bad hook and it went over the fence into Oakmont CC.
So at least I can say I hit a ball on to a fairway at Oakmont 😊😊

I played Oakmont East once, and I think it was the 1st hole that I hit a bad hook and it went over the fence into Oakmont CC.
So at least I can say I hit a ball on to a fairway at Oakmont 😊😊
Hah. I've done the same.

I've had the opportunity to play the real Oakmont a number of times, as I know several members, and I'm always afraid that I'll humiliate myself. One of these days I'll swallow hard and go shoot 130.

Reactions: cbpitt2
Hah. I've done the same.

I've had the opportunity to play the real Oakmont a number of times, as I know several members, and I'm always afraid that I'll humiliate myself. One of these days I'll swallow hard and go shoot 130.
Oh...I have been on the course at Oakmont multiple of times, a number of rounds. Never with a golf club in my hand, but a lanyard with my USOpen ticket around my neck. :)

Truth be told, I have a couple of buddies who are caddies at Oakmont and have been for 20-25 years.

I had a friend that worked as a caddied at Oakmont and whatever caddy day was he played and he said his second putts were longer than his first putts.

Oh...I have been on the course at Oakmont multiple of times, a number of rounds. Never with a golf club in my hand, but a lanyard with my USOpen ticket around my neck. :)

Truth be told, I have a couple of buddies who are caddies at Oakmont and have been for 20-25 years.
Been there for 3 Opens, 2 men’s and 1 ladies. The place reeks of history.

I had a friend that worked as a caddied at Oakmont and whatever caddy day was he played and he said his second putts were longer than his first putts.
Caddied at Oakmont a bit while growing up but eventually got tired of waiting to get out so went across the river to Pittsburgh Field Club and caddied there a few years. I remember golfing there every Monday when the course was closed but open to caddies

Reactions: shocky5
cal fan here looking forward to the fall roadtrip to pittsburgh, gonna tee it up at oakmont & fox chapel

whose gonna be the panthers qb1, last season's starter christian veilleux or nate yarnell (qb rating of 164 in limited snaps is very impressive)?

cal fan here looking forward to the fall roadtrip to pittsburgh, gonna tee it up at oakmont & fox chapel

whose gonna be the panthers qb1, last season's starter christian veilleux or nate yarnell (qb rating of 164 in limited snaps is very impressive)?
Fox Chapel is a great, great course. You will love it.

forbes, played it already once & agreed it's a special place since the seth raynor nor features have been restored

asked the head pro if the members appreciated the architectural greatness of the course, he tole me not probably not, it's really just a social club with golf an activity just like playing cards at lunch

the day at fox chapel kinda reminds me of camargo in cincinnati with its low key wealthy vibe

forbes, played it already once & agreed it's a special place since the seth raynor nor features have been restored

asked the head pro if the members appreciated the architectural greatness of the course, he tole me not probably not, it's really just a social club with golf an activity just like playing cards at lunch

the day at fox chapel kinda reminds me of camargo in cincinnati with its low key wealthy vibe
Yeah, you nailed it. These are not the hard-core golfers that belong to Oakmont. The guys at Oakmont pretty much make their money in business. Fox Chapel still has guys that made their money the old-fashioned way: they inherited it.

It's changed, though. 30 years ago, when I was younger, FC wouldn't have given me a sniff, as a child of immigrants, and a Catholic. Now, they are crawling with non-Wasps and I regularly get recruited. Times change.

yeah kinda close to the driveway thinking it might be the entrance to fox chapel & a bunch of security personnel got me turned around real quick

the staff at primanti brothers is way more friendly & those sandwiches with a fried egg on top r pretty special

My son has caddied at Fox Chapel for 6 years and has loved every minute of it. He was warned that the members were pretty snooty but that has not been his experience. They treat their caddies very well and the members have been very good to him. Plus he gets to play most Mondays in the season.

Like many have said, Pheasant Ridge is consistently in good shape. I have found that their tee times do get booked pretty quickly. I feel like Pgh National is making an effort to improve the course, and i have found it much easier to make tee times, and fly around the course compared to some other local courses.
I know the course might not be too high on some of the others list, but i kind of like 3 Lakes. With the exception of the first par 5 on the front 9, that might be one of the worst holes in the county! I used to play Meadowink all the time growing up, but I feel their pricing is high.
One of my favorite courses used to be Spring Church. I played there last summer after a couple years away, and came away pretty disappointed. The fairways were in awful shape, dried out, and full of weeds, and the pace of play was awful. But the price was fair, it mightve been $35 for 18?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT