ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Golf Courses

Zeldas Open Roof

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 18, 2018
guys, im itching bad for golf. Got to go out a two fridays ago when it was nice, played 18 at Lindenwood and actually didnt do too bad. im going to attempt to re-grip my old but trusty hybrid and my putter tonight, dont ask me why im scared to do this. i watched videos and it takes these guys like 3 minutes to do yet im acting like im getting ready to perform surgery..

ok, you guys dont care, so here is my question. Give me your top 5 favorite courses to play, preferably public since im not "Country Club Material." I dont know what that means, i try and play at a few CC's in the past and they scream at me and chase me off, something about having to be a member or something.

So with that said, i'll break it in two categories but feel free to add more.. I have your typical local public courses and i'll add a second one, the nicer more expensive Public courses..

Again, im just sticking local, but would be interested in hearing your thoughts. Keep in mind im a south hills guy so im geographically biased.

FAVORITE CHEAPER COURSES:

Riverview; man i like this course, it's easy to score on the back 9, NEVER Busy so you can bust out 18 in under 3 hours with no problem and very affordable. plus the clubhouse has a pool table and decent bar.

Scenic Valley/1781. new ownership fixed up the bar and restaurant but it's still the same course, although rumors of them changing some things around with tee boxes. they did upgrade the carts. i dont know, i think this is on my list just based out of proximity. some holes i hate but for the most part, a decent south hills course.

Ponderosa; dont ask why, i just like it.

CHippewa; again, dont ask why, just like it.

Lindenwood; love the gold nine, mostly cause it's easy, red should be easy but i dont score well, blue is fun and should be easy but again, i dont score well. maybe im not that good.

NICER GOLF COURSES:

Quicksilver; could be on the other list, kind of falls inbetween nicer course and typical public course. nice layout and real tough greens. i played it years (decades ago) after i believe either a senior event or a ladies event and the greens were disgustingly fast. first time i played a course and had to consciously chip below the hole just to have a chance at two putting..

Meadowink; now i'll admit, i played great so it made me like the course even more. way the hell out there in murrysville but damned if it's not a nice course with a beautiful bar.

Totterridge, played it last year, cheap price if you go in the week. links style course and again, just a beautiful layout.. almost felt "country club" playing it without the price tag..

Birdsfoot; beautiful course, gonna cost a bit but that's life if you want to play a beautiful course. got my ass handed to me by that course but hey, a bad day on the course is better than a good day in the office.

That's all i got off the top of my head. Gonna try and play Glengarry this year and KEnsington. those are my two i really want to hit up. I'd say Mystic Rock too but unless one of you guys wants to pick up my round, that's a tad out of my price range.

Lets hear it fellas, what have you got for me?

guys, im itching bad for golf. Got to go out a two fridays ago when it was nice, played 18 at Lindenwood and actually didnt do too bad. im going to attempt to re-grip my old but trusty hybrid and my putter tonight, dont ask me why im scared to do this. i watched videos and it takes these guys like 3 minutes to do yet im acting like im getting ready to perform surgery..

ok, you guys dont care, so here is my question. Give me your top 5 favorite courses to play, preferably public since im not "Country Club Material." I dont know what that means, i try and play at a few CC's in the past and they scream at me and chase me off, something about having to be a member or something.

So with that said, i'll break it in two categories but feel free to add more.. I have your typical local public courses and i'll add a second one, the nicer more expensive Public courses..

Again, im just sticking local, but would be interested in hearing your thoughts. Keep in mind im a south hills guy so im geographically biased.

Riverview; man i like this course, it's easy to score on the back 9, NEVER Busy so you can bust out 18 in under 3 hours with no problem and very affordable. plus the clubhouse has a pool table and decent bar.

Scenic Valley/1781. new ownership fixed up the bar and restaurant but it's still the same course, although rumors of them changing some things around with tee boxes. they did upgrade the carts. i dont know, i think this is on my list just based out of proximity. some holes i hate but for the most part, a decent south hills course.

Lindenwood; love the gold nine, mostly cause it's easy, red should be easy but i dont score well, blue is fun and should be easy but again, i dont score well. maybe im not that good.

NICER GOLF COURSES:

Quicksilver; could be on the other list, kind of falls inbetween nicer course and typical public course. nice layout and real tough greens. i played it years (decades ago) after i believe either a senior event or a ladies event and the greens were disgustingly fast. first time i played a course and had to consciously chip below the hole just to have a chance at two putting..

Meadowink; now i'll admit, i played great so it made me like the course even more. way the hell out there in murrysville but damned if it's not a nice course with a beautiful bar.

Totterridge, played it last year, cheap price if you go in the week. links style course and again, just a beautiful layout.. almost felt "country club" playing it without the price tag..

Birdsfoot; beautiful course, gonna cost a bit but that's life if you want to play a beautiful course. got my ass handed to me by that course but hey, a bad day on the course is better than a good day in the office.

That's all i got off the top of my head. Gonna try and play Glengarry this year and KEnsington. those are my two i really want to hit up. I'd say Mystic Rock too but unless one of you guys wants to pick up my round, that's a tad out of my price range.

I'm not a golfer but I was wondering, how much does the casual golfer spend per year on golf?

I'm not a golfer but I was wondering, how much does the casual golfer spend per year on golf?
When I was golfing, I usually played at cheap courses, at my peak I was going like 20-30 times per year, and that was costing me between $15-$25 a pop at those cheap courses. I haven't been into it for about 10 years, so I'm not sure the cost now, back then doing an occasional expensive course was like $80-$100.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
There's a lot of variables like are you playing 9 or 18, walking or riding, paying the weekend premium prices or playing during the week. Do you count adult beverages against the price of the golf? I'd say 50ish dollars to ride a cart and play 18 on a Saturday at a public course around here is about average.

There's a lot of variables like are you playing 9 or 18, walking or riding, paying the weekend premium prices or playing during the week. Do you count adult beverages against the price of the golf? I'd say 50ish dollars to ride a cart and play 18 on a Saturday at a public course around here is about average.

I'd count the beer if you wouldn't have normally drank them had you stayed home. So all-in basically. Seems like a super expensive hobby.

Pgh National, Formerly Deer Run, is my home course just due to proximity. It was an absolute gem in the early 2000's but fell on hard times during the financial crisis. The course changed ownership a couple times and was an absolute dump a few years ago. The new owner seems to be steadily making improvements to fairways and greens, although I don't like some of the layout changes he's making in an effort to improve place of play. , overall it's a pretty nice track though, and it's tough to beat being only 15 minutes from my house.

NICER GOLF COURSES:

Kennsington (note the spelling there’s 2 ns for gps) is a nice course. Glengarry is ok. Very hilly.

Donegal Highlands used to be nice. The maintenance has been up and down. Few years ago they had problems with water so do your homework.

Reserve Run (short but nice) and Mill Creek are nice if you’re wiling to go to that part of Ohio. Firestone Farms is a pretty nice track as well.

Reactions: Millerton24
Pgh National, Formerly Deer Run, is my home course just due to proximity. It was an absolute gem in the early 2000's but fell on hard times during the financial crisis. The course changed ownership a couple times and was an absolute dump a few years ago. The new owner seems to be steadily making improvements to fairways and greens, although I don't like some of the layout changes he's making in an effort to improve place of play. , overall it's a pretty nice track though, and it's tough to beat being only 15 minutes from my house.
Agree here. Changing the 11th hills was an epic blunder. I’m guessing they did it for pace of play but that was one of the coolest public course holes around. Stilll holding out hope ithats temporary.

What was the outcome (is it even done) with 13? That was one of the worst holes anywhere.

It seems you mainly stick to south or east of the city. How far are you willing to travel?
oh man, for golf? Dude, i'll go out there. i like to sneak away in the afternoons and play during the week just to avoid the weekend mess so that's why i stay local. but for a nice saturday or sunday round, i have no problem going out to greensburg (Totteridge) or murrysville.

Dont ever ask questions that you do not want to know the answer too. i mean now, im dropping 35 to play south freakin park and it doesnt get cheaper than that. the average cheaper golf course is still going to be 50-60 bucks and that's the cheap cheap courses..

A nicer public course, on a weekend, close to 100 i bet. Totterridge i loved and is beautiful, i think i paid 65 but that was on a wednesday at 11am, basically had to take a day off of work to get that tee prices..

Dont even ask me about the high end courses, im not even allowed to sit at that table with my stakes..

Reactions: Millerton24
I'd count the beer if you wouldn't have normally drank them had you stayed home. So all-in basically. Seems like a super expensive hobby.
there isnt a course on this planet where im not bringing my own beer. and im not exaggerating.

Of course that's probably why im not country club material. but again, you bring your own beer, always. most starters could care less, especially the cheaper courses. an upscale public course, might have to be a tad bit careful if you want to bring a case of beer on but again, there are many ways.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
Indiana CC about a 1k per month depending on rounds played..

Another 10-15 around the country for knocking off top courses.

Kiawah and Pinehurst in May

Totter is nice
Spring Church
Bedford Springs is always a fall trip for 2 days of playing.

Last edited:
What they've done to that course is a travesty. It was one of the best tracks in the area. They also don't take care of it anymore, and I only play there if I can't get off at Pheasant Ridge.

Need to put some thought into an answer for zelda.

NICER GOLF COURSES:

Firestone Farms
Tam O' Shanter
Cranberry Highlands
Totteridge
Birds Foot
Saxonburg

Speaking of golf, are there any golf pass deals in Western PA? My college aged son has an internship in Western PA so he won't be coming home for the summer. He likes to golf, but I'm not sure that a ton of golf would be in his budget. I'm wondering if there are any golf pass type deals where I could prepay for him to play some of the cheaper courses or at least get significant discounts. Is TeeTime any good? Worth it? Also, any good places between Washington, PA and Moon Twp to get golf lessons? Since he won't have a lot of his friends around with him over the summer, I'm thinking of getting him golf lessons for something he can do. Any suggestions?

Another vote for Pheasant Ridge. That place is awesome. Although, I do hope it doesn't get overrun with grateful new visitors.

Pittsburgh National is a dump. The last time I was there a few years ago, there was literally no grass anywhere on the fairways. It was in incredibly bad shape, and I was embarrassed to have brought some people there with me. I will never return.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Another vote for Pheasant Ridge. That place is awesome. Although, I do hope it doesn't get overrun with grateful new visitors.

Pittsburgh National is a dump. The last time I was there a few years ago, there was literally no grass anywhere on the fairways. It was in incredibly bad shape, and I was embarrassed to have brought some people there with me. I will never return.
awesome, i'll put it on my list.

I have no comment for this thread after seeing meadowink in the “nicer” category.
well come on now, it's all relative. like i said, im not a country club guy. but i get it, that and quicksilver could be more "regular" public course than "upscale." I really liked the clubhouse bar and again, i played the best round of my life so maybe that makes the memories of the course nicer than in reality..

NICER GOLF COURSES:

No love for Butler's? I haven't played there in years since I moved, but always liked it.

Agree here. Changing the 11th hills was an epic blunder. I’m guessing they did it for pace of play but that was one of the coolest public course holes around. Stilll holding out hope ithats temporary.

What was the outcome (is it even done) with 13? That was one of the worst holes anywhere.
I pretty sure 11 is permanent. Shame because if you got a par or birdie on that hole, you really felt a sense of accomplishment. They brought the green down about 50 yards so it's a shorter par 4 and not quite straight uphill anymore.

I agree with those that were there a few years ago and the fairways were dirt...it was a dump, but the course is in much better shape now....nowhere near it's heyday, but like I said. It's close for me and it's playable now, so in the interest of time, that's where I go.

I had to quit a while ago, as it eventually occurred to me that I really suck.

I always liked Linden Hall, for whatever reason. I think that may have been my favorite. Butler's (two courses) was nice, too. Both just felt peaceful, to me.

Cedar Brook - I just remember it being packed.

South Park - Meh.

Riverview - Meh.

Grandview - Meh.

Duck Hollow - Barely remember.

Westwood - Meh.

Carradam - No longer around, I don't think.

I might have played one or two more I'm forgetting. Always had aspirations of playing a bunch of them before the reality of me sucking set in. My friend has spoken highly of the one in 84 (Rolling Hills, maybe?). There's one that the Montour Trail goes over that looks kind of nice... not sure if that would be Upper Saint Clair, McMurray, or Peter's... ?

You left out Bates and the Boulevard. Course wasn't great but the beers were always available.

It can be super expensive, and it's an obsession to some, I worked with a guy who would play 80-90 days in a row in the summer, he eventually retired and played way more, true story, he died while putting on the 2nd hole of a heart attack, age 67, and personally I never drank beer while golfing, I was bad enough as it is.

Haven't played Cedarbrook for a long time, but remember liking the gold course.

Another I haven't played for a while is Champion Lakes, but I always enjoyed playing there.

I'll throw Madison Club out there as well.

Reactions: BTisinDC

When I played, a rough estimate for 18 + cart would have been about $50. Might have been a little cheaper during off hours (which is when I preferred to go anyway - in the interest of being seen by less people). I'm sure it has only gone up. Didn't golf gain some popularity as one of the first forms of entertainment made available again during Covid?

But even if you only played once per week, on the weekend... You can probably play 35+ times per year even in this area. So you're looking at a little over 2-grand per year when you count balls and whatnot, I guess. That's not bad, but it's also a pretty modest example. I'm sure there are plenty of guys hitting a $100+ course 2-3 times per week. And then obviously the country club is a different story, though most people who belong find a way to get a tax deduction on some of those costs.

A great day of golf with an upscale course is the Palmer course at Stonewall Jackson State Park in West Virginia. It’s about 45 minutes south of Clarksburg. A really nice layout. I played it 4 years ago and I think it was $100. Not sure about green fees today but really worth it. Pretty much going to take up the whole day but so what.

Now before you exit the planet you have to find someone to take you to Laurel Valley. Truly a day when all men are kings. To me it’s better than playing Oakmont or St Clare or Nevillwood simply because of the beauty. When you finish your round get yourself an ice cream cone in ligonier. Only 5 minutes from the course. You deserve it.

Most of the old tax benefits are long gone.

Club dues are non-deductible, but you have to hit a certain expenditure quota (food, cart fees, etc.) every month in addition to that. They'll bring friends, err "clients," and write it off to both Advertising (full deduction) and Meals & Entertainment (50% deduction). Or some people just plain won't follow the rules and will treat 50% of their club dues as being deductible. It's a bunch of friends masquerading as a business networking venture... although in fairness, they do often patronize each other's businesses as well.

Reactions: USN_Panther
I had to quit a while ago, as it eventually occurred to me that I really suck.

I always liked Linden Hall, for whatever reason. I think that may have been my favorite. Butler's (two courses) was nice, too. Both just felt peaceful, to me.

Cedar Brook - I just remember it being packed.

South Park - Meh.

Riverview - Meh.

Grandview - Meh.

Duck Hollow - Barely remember.

Westwood - Meh.

Carradam - No longer around, I don't think.

I might have played one or two more I'm forgetting. Always had aspirations of playing a bunch of them before the reality of me sucking set in. My friend has spoken highly of the one in 84 (Rolling Hills, maybe?). There's one that the Montour Trail goes over that looks kind of nice... not sure if that would be Upper Saint Clair, McMurray, or Peter's... ?
Great call on Linden Hall, i did like that course, havent played it in awhile.

Cedarbrook is short, real short. 2 18s but meh is ok. I like south park but strictly cause it's a mile from my house and convenient, and cheap.

Grandview is the biggest joke of a course in western pa. it reminds me of the course in CaddyShack 2. the only thing that course is missing is putting it into the clowns' nose on #18 to win a free round..

Never heard of duck hollow, westwood or carradam. I respectfully disagree vehemently on riverview.

you are thinking of Rolling Green, its in eighty four. short course, not terrible. a couple drivable par 4s as i recall. like 250 yard par 4s. and a par 5 that i think isnt even 400 yards..

A great day of golf with an upscale course is the Palmer course at Stonewall Jackson State Park in West Virginia. It’s about 45 minutes south of Clarksburg. A really nice layout. I played it 4 years ago and I think it was $100. Not sure about green fees today but really worth it. Pretty much going to take up the whole day but so what.

Now before you exit the planet you have to find someone to take you to Laurel Valley. Truly a day when all men are kings. To me it’s better than playing Oakmont or St Clare or Nevillwood simply because of the beauty. When you finish your round get yourself an ice cream cone in ligonier. Only 5 minutes from the course. You deserve it.
i took the kids there 2 labor days ago, maybe 3. the weekend we opened up against virginia and lost. Had a great time, beautiful lake, nice pool, some nice restaurants in the resort.

Didnt bring my clubs lol. Rented a pontoon, swam in the lake but didnt bring my clubs. and the course was dead empty too. it looked fantastic.

Really enjoyed that weekend there at stonewall.

Great call on Linden Hall, i did like that course, havent played it in awhile.

Cedarbrook is short, real short. 2 18s but meh is ok. I like south park but strictly cause it's a mile from my house and convenient, and cheap.

Grandview is the biggest joke of a course in western pa. it reminds me of the course in CaddyShack 2. the only thing that course is missing is putting it into the clowns' nose on #18 to win a free round..

Never heard of duck hollow, westwood or carradam. I respectfully disagree vehemently on riverview.

you are thinking of Rolling Green, its in eighty four. short course, not terrible. a couple drivable par 4s as i recall. like 250 yard par 4s. and a par 5 that i think isnt even 400 yards..

Yeah, Linden Hall was our go-to for a while.

Duck Hollow was in (or near) Uniontown; Carradam was out off 30 (like North Huntingtonish). You've definitely heard of Westwood... it's in West Mifflin. Not even 100% sure if it's still there, though.

Riverview... I guess it depends what you're looking for from a course. It is very open. I just didn't think there was a ton of pretty scenery.

One that I never played is Victory Hills (I think that's what it's called), which I believe is near Butler's and used to be called Seven Springs or something. Butler's was awesome, though. A little less reclusive than Linden Hall, but still pretty good... whereas I remember Cedarbrook as everyone being on top of each other. You feel like the group behind you is just breathing down your neck.

Grandview, when it was being developed, had a lot of potential, but they either had crappy vision or ran out of money.

Grandview, when it was being developed, had a lot of potential, but they either had crappy vision or ran out of money.

Before we went, I was told how difficult it is and how many balls I'd lose... which was probably more applicable to more talented players, as every course was difficult for me and I could lose balls anywhere. But I guess I vaguely remember it being less conducive to someone who just likes to rip it down the fairway. Not in a really cool way, though. It seemed more like they were trying to fit 18 holes into some space they had for 10 or something rather than it being some well-designed piece of architectural brilliance. But that was probably 15 years ago, and I only went there once, so my memory might be off.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
Changing your grips will be fairly easy. My advice is to not go light on the solution. If you don’t have enough, it is a pain to slide the grip on.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT