ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Golf Courses

Yeah, Linden Hall was our go-to for a while.

Duck Hollow was in (or near) Uniontown; Carradam was out off 30 (like North Huntingtonish). You've definitely heard of Westwood... it's in West Mifflin. Not even 100% sure if it's still there, though.

Riverview... I guess it depends what you're looking for from a course. It is very open. I just didn't think there was a ton of pretty scenery.

One that I never played is Victory Hills (I think that's what it's called), which I believe is near Butler's and used to be called Seven Springs or something. Butler's was awesome, though. A little less reclusive than Linden Hall, but still pretty good... whereas I remember Cedarbrook as everyone being on top of each other. You feel like the group behind you is just breathing down your neck.
i think i like riverview because it's so easy to just get onto and play a quick round in under 3 hours. very little wait, no pain in the ass starter yelling at anyone. you get stuck behind a couple old people, they'll let you start on the back nine.

again, just laid back, cheap and convenient. no real view of the river but a nice layout IMO. the back 9 gets pretty easy but usually about that time, im looking for some easier holes.

Kennsington in Canfield, OH is cheaper than Lindenwood and much nicer. It's only an hour drive from the south hills. My buddy and I played 36 on a Sunday last year, Kennsington at 8 AM, ate lunch, and then a twilight 18 at Firestone Farms on the way back. It was around 100 bucks for golf/cart. Both rounds were under 4 hours.

I think Lindenwood is really nice. I'm not a big fan of Quicksilver especially at the price. I grew up in Murrysville so I'm over Meadowink.

I'll drive to Birdsfoot every year at least once. Usually you can find a good deal.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof

Duck Hollow was in (or near) Uniontown; Carradam was out off 30 (like North Huntingtonish). You've definitely heard of Westwood... it's in West Mifflin. Not even 100% sure if it's still there, though.

Riverview... I guess it depends what you're looking for from a course. It is very open. I just didn't think there was a ton of pretty scenery.

One that I never played is Victory Hills (I think that's what it's called), which I believe is near Butler's and used to be called Seven Springs or something. Butler's was awesome, though. A little less reclusive than Linden Hall, but still pretty good... whereas I remember Cedarbrook as everyone being on top of each other. You feel like the group behind you is just breathing down your neck.
i think i like riverview because it's so easy to just get onto and play a quick round in under 3 hours. very little wait, no pain in the ass starter yelling at anyone. you get stuck behind a couple old people, they'll let you start on the back nine.

again, just laid back, cheap and convenient. no real view of the river but a nice layout IMO. the back 9 gets pretty easy but usually about that time, im looking for some easier holes.

You should add Cranberry Highlands to your to do list. Expensive if not a resident, but worth a round once a year for me. Keep it in the short grass though. That tall fescue is a bitch. Surprised they have rough like that on a muni course.
Awesome course. I used to make a trip over to Cranberry yearly just to play that course.

Before we went, I was told how difficult it is and how many balls I'd lose... which was probably more applicable to more talented players, as every course was difficult for me and I could lose balls anywhere. But I guess I vaguely remember it being less conducive to someone who just likes to rip it down the fairway. Not in a really cool way, though. It seemed more like they were trying to fit 18 holes into some space they had for 10 or something rather than it being some well-designed piece of architectural brilliance. But that was probably 15 years ago, and I only went there once, so my memory might be off.
Lots and lots of blind shots. That's why you lose balls there. At least, that's why I lose balls there.

I worked at Linden Hall for a couple of summers while in college. Split time between the pro shop and restaurant. My favorite job was grilling hot dogs and handing out beers at the 10th hole for special outings. Did that on several Friday and Saturdays during the summer.

It was owned by the USWA at the time. Is that still the case?

I worked at Linden Hall for a couple of summers while in college. Split time between the pro shop and restaurant. My favorite job was grilling hot dogs and handing out beers at the 10th hole for special outings. Did that on several Friday and Saturdays during the summer.

i believe it's still owned by the steelworkers.

my neighbor does a weekend outing with his buddies still, think they play 5 rounds in 3 days, two weekend nights with meals for something like 400 bucks. He loves it and that's a great deal.

Reactions: OH Pete
Kennsington in Canfield, OH is cheaper than Lindenwood and much nicer. It's only an hour drive from the south hills. My buddy and I played 36 on a Sunday last year, Kennsington at 8 AM, ate lunch, and then a twilight 18 at Firestone Farms on the way back. It was around 100 bucks for golf/cart. Both rounds were under 4 hours.

I think Lindenwood is really nice. I'm not a big fan of Quicksilver especially at the price. I grew up in Murrysville so I'm over Meadowink.

I'll drive to Birdsfoot every year at least once. Usually you can find a good deal.
Being from Ohio, I’ll give Kennsington a big 2 thumbs up if you guys coming from Pittsburgh area want to drive that far. It is also relatively cheap considering the quality of the course.

Firestone Farms is a completely different course than Kensington but also nice.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof

Was in Pa.last August from SC to visit friends. Went to Linden Hall. There was a sign above the cashier giving prices for 9-18 with and without a USW membership membership card.
Lady sez YINZ PLAYING 9 or 18?
Welcome back to Pa. Think it was $39.00 Fun….

• Haha
Speaking of golf, are there any golf pass deals in Western PA? My college aged son has an internship in Western PA so he won't be coming home for the summer. He likes to golf, but I'm not sure that a ton of golf would be in his budget. I'm wondering if there are any golf pass type deals where I could prepay for him to play some of the cheaper courses or at least get significant discounts. Is TeeTime any good? Worth it? Also, any good places between Washington, PA and Moon Twp to get golf lessons? Since he won't have a lot of his friends around with him over the summer, I'm thinking of getting him golf lessons for something he can do. Any suggestions?
You can get a pass for South Park and it’s a good deal if you play regularly. South Park has tee times now, so go on their web site for golf-pass and tee-time info.

The 18-hole course isn’t easy. They have been keeping it in decent shape the last few years.

Firestone Farms is a good one. I'll add:

Pheasant Ridge
Champion Lakes
Toms Run
I haven't played pheasant ridge in 6-8 years but in a million years I never thought I would here it listed with champion lakes and Tom's run. I seen their prices heading fast towards those courses but to me, not warranted.

Speaking of golf, are there any golf pass deals in Western PA? My college aged son has an internship in Western PA so he won't be coming home for the summer. He likes to golf, but I'm not sure that a ton of golf would be in his budget. I'm wondering if there are any golf pass type deals where I could prepay for him to play some of the cheaper courses or at least get significant discounts. Is TeeTime any good? Worth it? Also, any good places between Washington, PA and Moon Twp to get golf lessons? Since he won't have a lot of his friends around with him over the summer, I'm thinking of getting him golf lessons for something he can do. Any suggestions?
Scally’s in Moon for lessons. Par 3 there. And Moon Golf Club a minute away for your swings.

Anybody ever play that par 3 out in Ligonier? I always thought it looked cool and "woodsy" as a kid, but it was gone by the time I actually wanted to play it.

You can get a pass for South Park and it’s a good deal if you play regularly. South Park has tee times now, so go on their web site for golf-pass and tee-time info.

The 18-hole course isn’t easy. They have been keeping it in decent shape the last few years.
Unless something changed the pass is only for those 60 and older (used to be 55 I’m pretty sure). And it’s the best deal around - or at least used to be. I’m not there yet but I know about it.

I played there a couple years ago and was stunned how nice it was. I’d heard they hired a new greenskeeper. They need to do whatever it takes to keep him there.

Tee times is shocking. I bet all those guys who signed groups up at 4 am are beside themselves.

I haven't played pheasant ridge in 6-8 years but in a million years I never thought I would here it listed with champion lakes and Tom's run. I seen their prices heading fast towards those courses but to me, not warranted.
Champion Lakes is not as well maintained as it used to be. I'm not sure who owns it/runs it these days. Tom's Run is in another category, of course. Pheasant Ridge is comfortably in the middle.

guys, im itching bad for golf. Got to go out a two fridays ago when it was nice, played 18 at Lindenwood and actually didnt do too bad. im going to attempt to re-grip my old but trusty hybrid and my putter tonight, dont ask me why im scared to do this. i watched videos and it takes these guys like 3 minutes to do yet im acting like im getting ready to perform surgery..

ok, you guys dont care, so here is my question. Give me your top 5 favorite courses to play, preferably public since im not "Country Club Material." I dont know what that means, i try and play at a few CC's in the past and they scream at me and chase me off, something about having to be a member or something.

So with that said, i'll break it in two categories but feel free to add more.. I have your typical local public courses and i'll add a second one, the nicer more expensive Public courses..

Again, im just sticking local, but would be interested in hearing your thoughts. Keep in mind im a south hills guy so im geographically biased.

FAVORITE CHEAPER COURSES:

Riverview; man i like this course, it's easy to score on the back 9, NEVER Busy so you can bust out 18 in under 3 hours with no problem and very affordable. plus the clubhouse has a pool table and decent bar.

Scenic Valley/1781. new ownership fixed up the bar and restaurant but it's still the same course, although rumors of them changing some things around with tee boxes. they did upgrade the carts. i dont know, i think this is on my list just based out of proximity. some holes i hate but for the most part, a decent south hills course.

Ponderosa; dont ask why, i just like it.

CHippewa; again, dont ask why, just like it.

Lindenwood; love the gold nine, mostly cause it's easy, red should be easy but i dont score well, blue is fun and should be easy but again, i dont score well. maybe im not that good.

NICER GOLF COURSES:

Quicksilver; could be on the other list, kind of falls inbetween nicer course and typical public course. nice layout and real tough greens. i played it years (decades ago) after i believe either a senior event or a ladies event and the greens were disgustingly fast. first time i played a course and had to consciously chip below the hole just to have a chance at two putting..

Meadowink; now i'll admit, i played great so it made me like the course even more. way the hell out there in murrysville but damned if it's not a nice course with a beautiful bar.

Totterridge, played it last year, cheap price if you go in the week. links style course and again, just a beautiful layout.. almost felt "country club" playing it without the price tag..

Birdsfoot; beautiful course, gonna cost a bit but that's life if you want to play a beautiful course. got my ass handed to me by that course but hey, a bad day on the course is better than a good day in the office.

That's all i got off the top of my head. Gonna try and play Glengarry this year and KEnsington. those are my two i really want to hit up. I'd say Mystic Rock too but unless one of you guys wants to pick up my round, that's a tad out of my price range.

Lets hear it fellas, what have you got for me?
Unfortunately I’m out til August .
Finally out of my waking boot
But also recovering from a bicep tendon rupture repair
Putt one handed on my mat in my home office to celebrate

guys, im itching bad for golf. Got to go out a two fridays ago when it was nice, played 18 at Lindenwood and actually didnt do too bad. im going to attempt to re-grip my old but trusty hybrid and my putter tonight, dont ask me why im scared to do this. i watched videos and it takes these guys like 3 minutes to do yet im acting like im getting ready to perform surgery..

ok, you guys dont care, so here is my question. Give me your top 5 favorite courses to play, preferably public since im not "Country Club Material." I dont know what that means, i try and play at a few CC's in the past and they scream at me and chase me off, something about having to be a member or something.

So with that said, i'll break it in two categories but feel free to add more.. I have your typical local public courses and i'll add a second one, the nicer more expensive Public courses..

Again, im just sticking local, but would be interested in hearing your thoughts. Keep in mind im a south hills guy so im geographically biased.

FAVORITE CHEAPER COURSES:

Riverview; man i like this course, it's easy to score on the back 9, NEVER Busy so you can bust out 18 in under 3 hours with no problem and very affordable. plus the clubhouse has a pool table and decent bar.

Scenic Valley/1781. new ownership fixed up the bar and restaurant but it's still the same course, although rumors of them changing some things around with tee boxes. they did upgrade the carts. i dont know, i think this is on my list just based out of proximity. some holes i hate but for the most part, a decent south hills course.

Ponderosa; dont ask why, i just like it.

CHippewa; again, dont ask why, just like it.

Lindenwood; love the gold nine, mostly cause it's easy, red should be easy but i dont score well, blue is fun and should be easy but again, i dont score well. maybe im not that good.

NICER GOLF COURSES:

Quicksilver; could be on the other list, kind of falls inbetween nicer course and typical public course. nice layout and real tough greens. i played it years (decades ago) after i believe either a senior event or a ladies event and the greens were disgustingly fast. first time i played a course and had to consciously chip below the hole just to have a chance at two putting..

Meadowink; now i'll admit, i played great so it made me like the course even more. way the hell out there in murrysville but damned if it's not a nice course with a beautiful bar.

Totterridge, played it last year, cheap price if you go in the week. links style course and again, just a beautiful layout.. almost felt "country club" playing it without the price tag..

Birdsfoot; beautiful course, gonna cost a bit but that's life if you want to play a beautiful course. got my ass handed to me by that course but hey, a bad day on the course is better than a good day in the office.

That's all i got off the top of my head. Gonna try and play Glengarry this year and KEnsington. those are my two i really want to hit up. I'd say Mystic Rock too but unless one of you guys wants to pick up my round, that's a tad out of my price range.

Let’s hear it fellas, what have you got for me?
Birdsfoot is pretty affordable , I think
Shadow lakes is great value

Rolling Acres is always in great shape and a nice wide open 27 hole course to let driver fly

I’m surprised Hickory Heights hasn’t been mentioned. It’s a fun course in Bridgeville.

You should add Cranberry Highlands to your to do list. Expensive if not a resident, but worth a round once a year for me. Keep it in the short grass though. That tall fescue is a bitch. Surprised they have rough like that on a muni course.
Played once last year - beautiful course
But stuffy
The staff seems to think they are olde stonewall quality
It’s a better kept birdsfoot in truth

Great call on Linden Hall, i did like that course, havent played it in awhile.

Cedarbrook is short, real short. 2 18s but meh is ok. I like south park but strictly cause it's a mile from my house and convenient, and cheap.

Grandview is the biggest joke of a course in western pa. it reminds me of the course in CaddyShack 2. the only thing that course is missing is putting it into the clowns' nose on #18 to win a free round..

Never heard of duck hollow, westwood or carradam. I respectfully disagree vehemently on riverview.

you are thinking of Rolling Green, its in eighty four. short course, not terrible. a couple drivable par 4s as i recall. like 250 yard par 4s. and a par 5 that i think isnt even 400 yards..
Disagree of grandview
The tee boxes are garbage, but the course is top notch
It’s a shot makers course
If you want to bash driver every hole , it’s not for you

I play it once or twice a year to humble myself up to keep the ballin play .
Only hit where you can see type of course

My mistake on the South Park golf pass. That it’s only for 60+ year olds skipped my mind - I guess since I’ve been over 60 for a long, long time…

Was just listing other courses that weren't represented, not comparing Pheasant to Tom's Run.

Pheasant is a good, not great track, but they keep it well manicured all summer. Pittsburgh National is a much better track, but it's sadly maintained anymore. Then they decided to destroy the back nine over the last 4 years.

We have a travel group, play mostly north and west of Pgh. Also take 2-3 overnight trips. Some of best courses for me are Boulder Creek near Strongsville, OH, and Whispering Woods near Erie. Definitely play those if you get a chance. Locally for me, I like Olde Stonewall (pricey), Cranberry Highlands, Kennsington, Mill Creek, and Firestone Farms. Oak Tree in West Middlesex has a nice layout, but fell on some hard times. Pro there is bringing it back slowly.

Some of the area courses that I play regularly:

Linden Hall: My home course, play in a Wednesday league and bascally grew up on the course, but typically avoid on weekends just because I like to play different places. Very well maintained, not difficult due to the lack of hazards and wide fairways, greens can be hit or miss, but usually decent. Had a few rough seasons before they got their drainage/water system worked out, but it plays in great shape now. Great value.

Cedarbrook: Gold course is decent, Red is way too short, even from the tips.

Madison Club: I really like the layout, played some great rounds there including a hole in one on #17. The pace of play is brutal and they pack them in on weekends, expect a 5-hour+ round.

Champion Lakes: Condition has been hit or miss lately, but a fun course that is worth the drive. Love the Pitt yardage markers in the fairways.

Totteridge: Great layout, extremely overpriced on the weekends. Condition is always superb.

Scenic Valley/1781: Short, even from the tips, great additions and renovations to the clubhouse. Some greens can wreck a good score rather quickly. Always try to make it out there a few times each season.

Quicksilver: Usually brutal greens, great layout, although there are a couple stinkers on the back nine. Last time I played it was not in prime condition, but was likely due to some heavy rains during the week.

Kennsington: Really like the course a lot, scoreable, yet challenging at the same time. Great price, nice patio and bar area and cannot beat the location if you are staying at the Marriott.

Olde Stonewall: Usually make it out there once a season, early before the peak rates start. I have never played it in prime summer condition, usually in March/April, but it is a great track. Front 9 can get you some decent scores, but the back is tough, especially the par 3s.

Avalon Lakes: Beautiful course with great amenities, I would not recommend for a day trip, a place you would want to stay at or at least package with a Kennsington or Squaw Creek weekend.

Ones I avoid:

Donegal Highlands - Dump
Duck Hollow -Dump
Rolling Green _ Dump
Pittsburgh National - Disgrace
Hickory Heights - Hate the layout
Grandview - Mickey Mouse course
Meadowink - Insane rates for what you get

Some of the area courses that I play regularly:

Linden Hall: My home course, play in a Wednesday league and bascally grew up on the course, but typically avoid on weekends just because I like to play different places. Very well maintained, not difficult due to the lack of hazards and wide fairways, greens can be hit or miss, but usually decent. Had a few rough seasons before they got their drainage/water system worked out, but it plays in great shape now. Great value.

Cedarbrook: Gold course is decent, Red is way too short, even from the tips.

Madison Club: I really like the layout, played some great rounds there including a hole in one on #17. The pace of play is brutal and they pack them in on weekends, expect a 5-hour+ round.

Champion Lakes: Condition has been hit or miss lately, but a fun course that is worth the drive. Love the Pitt yardage markers in the fairways.

Totteridge: Great layout, extremely overpriced on the weekends. Condition is always superb.

Scenic Valley/1781: Short, even from the tips, great additions and renovations to the clubhouse. Some greens can wreck a good score rather quickly. Always try to make it out there a few times each season.

Quicksilver: Usually brutal greens, great layout, although there are a couple stinkers on the back nine. Last time I played it was not in prime condition, but was likely due to some heavy rains during the week.

Kennsington: Really like the course a lot, scoreable, yet challenging at the same time. Great price, nice patio and bar area and cannot beat the location if you are staying at the Marriott.

Olde Stonewall: Usually make it out there once a season, early before the peak rates start. I have never played it in prime summer condition, usually in March/April, but it is a great track. Front 9 can get you some decent scores, but the back is tough, especially the par 3s.

Avalon Lakes: Beautiful course with great amenities, I would not recommend for a day trip, a place you would want to stay at or at least package with a Kennsington or Squaw Creek weekend.

Ones I avoid:

Donegal Highlands - Dump
Duck Hollow -Dump
Rolling Green _ Dump
Pittsburgh National - Disgrace
Hickory Heights - Hate the layout
Grandview - Mickey Mouse course
Meadowink - Insane rates for what you get
great summary. Kennsington is def on my list from this thread, as is madison club. with regards to 1781, play it a ton since it's like 10 minutes from my house. some holes i love and some i absolutely despise. the greens do stink with how they are set up, hard to explain unless you play it.

Not a fan of Hickory Heights for just the reason you said, "hate the layout." after reading everyone's thoughts on meadowink, i feel i may have grand and false illusions of this course's majestic layout lol. i played sick that day so got to be the reason i hold it in such high esteem.

I'm wracking my brain trying to remember what Moon Golf Course was called before Moon Twp bought it. It's been around a long time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT