ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Horrible news from the NHL world

It was like 8 pm. How about Drunk drivers don't mix with anyone and we're way too lenient on people operating 1.5 ton missiles while intoxicated? But hey, I'm sure those $300 fines are pretty scary to people.
300 fine? He was charged with 2 counts of vehicular homicide and will probably be in jail for decades.

on an unrelated note, people who have weddings on labor day, memorial day and july 4th weekends need punched in the face..

300 fine? He was charged with 2 counts of vehicular homicide and will probably be in jail for decades.

on an unrelated note, people who have weddings on labor day, memorial day and july 4th weekends need punched in the face..
I mean as a first offense penalty for driving under the influence. Severe penalties should happen before something actually goes wrong when someone is willfully making a decision to put every other person on the road at risk. Our country has pathetic DUI laws in most states.

I mean as a first offense penalty for driving under the influence. Severe penalties should happen before something actually goes wrong when someone is willfully making a decision to put every other person on the road at risk. Our country has pathetic DUI laws in most states.
no argument there.

It was like 8 pm. How about Drunk drivers don't mix with anyone and we're way too lenient on people operating 1.5 ton missiles while intoxicated? But hey, I'm sure those $300 fines are pretty scary to people.
it was 8:20 and in New Jersey in late August...that is dark. That was all I added. Drunk or not it could have been a factor.. Do not need a public service announcement for something everyone knows as I was just making a point about the circumstance of the tragedy.. .

drunk drivers bad...
biking after dark on public roads stupid...

both can be true at the same time...

drunk driving = bad
biking on road at night = bad

asking people to give up their labor day weekend to come to your wedding = Unforgivable

Reactions: jtownknowitall
The empathy on this thread is overwhelming.

A guy and his brother were killed by a drunk driver the day before their sister’s wedding.
How about limiting comments to something along the lines of - “that’s very sad, I feel terrible for the whole family.”
Or don’t comment.
1 in 3 drivers arrested on a DUI get a 2nd DUI. I imagine if you could ask the brothers if they'd rather have strangers giving condolences or discussions about harsher sentences for the act that killed them they'd pass on the thoughts and prayers.

Last edited:
it was 8:20 and in New Jersey in late August...that is dark.

They were in a suburb of Philadelphia. Sunset tonight in Philly is listed as 7:34. So at 8:20 it was pretty dark.

Which in no way excuses the drunk. Seems like the person in front of the drunk saw them and the drunk did not.

1 in 3 driver's arrested on a DUI get a 2nd DUI. I imagine if you could ask the brothers if they'd rather have strangers giving condolences or discussions about harsher sentences for the act that killed them they'd pass on the thoughts and prayers.
You’re right. I wasn’t referring to your post.

There are actually lessons to be learned on both sides of the aisle, here.

1) Riding a bike at night can be extremely dangerous. I actually made a left one time and a kid who was flying down the shoulder of the road on a bike in the dark slammed into my car door. My eyes were concentrated on the road. Not in a thousand years would I have thought to check the shoulder for a kid on a bike in the dark going 40+ mph down the hill.

2) Even if you're fairly okay to drive, it's not a good idea to chance it if you're over the legal limit. You could have some freak thing happen, such as the aforementioned dude on a bike, that might have even been unavoidable if you were sober... but if you're drunk, you are likely going to get "screwed" (I'm using that as a technicality in this case, because obviously you shouldn't be driving drunk to begin with).

Wow the comments here. 😳 The driver that hit them was trying to pass another vehicle. That second vehicle saw the two on bikes and moved to his left to give the bikers room - like he’s supposed to do. The drunk guy assumed he was being blocked from passing, went to the right side to pass, and hit the cyclists.

Seems to me the cyclists were plenty visible if sober drivers gave way. If I had to guess, they were out for a ride, not picking up a grocery list. And therefore were probably properly equipped for riding past dark.

1) Riding a bike at night can be extremely dangerous. I actually made a left one time and a kid who was flying down the shoulder of the road on a bike in the dark slammed into my car door. My eyes were concentrated on the road. Not in a thousand years would I have thought to check the shoulder for a kid on a bike in the dark going 40+ mph down the hill.

2) Even if you're fairly okay to drive, it's not a good idea to chance it if you're over the legal limit. You could have some freak thing happen, such as the aforementioned dude on a bike, that might have even been unavoidable if you were sober... but if you're drunk, you are likely going to get "screwed" (I'm using that as a technicality in this case, because obviously you shouldn't be driving drunk to begin with).

I would be in favor of a ban of bikes on public streets. I realize that .00001% of Americans use a bicycle as their main source of transportation but I say that I do not care, get a car or take public transportation. Its dangerous and though I wont be drinking and driving, I dont want to go to prison for making a mistake while driving when that bicyclist could have been on the plethora of bike paths this nation offers.

I would be in favor of a ban of bikes on public streets. I realize that .00001% of Americans use a bicycle as their main source of transportation but I say that I do not care, get a car or take public transportation. Its dangerous and though I wont be drinking and driving, I dont want to go to prison for making a mistake while driving when that bicyclist could have been on the plethora of bike paths this nation offers.

I don't even like bike lanes, to be honest. At least not where a lot of them are located. Making turns can be stressful in Pittsburgh. There have been a few I've made where I thought, "Oh damn, I didn't even think to also check the bike lane. Good thing no one was coming."

Bike and cars just aren't meant to mix at certain speeds or in certain traffic flows. It's like playing frisbee in the middle of the shooting range. Sure, most of the time it'll be fine. But, inevitably, sh*t is going to happen. I've seen two bikers (one on 5th Ave while at Pitt and one on the Blvd of the Allies on my way to a Pitt game) laying on the road in pretty bad shape in my time. Not even positive they both lived.

A guy and his brother were killed by a drunk driver the day before their sister’s wedding.
How about limiting comments to something along the lines of - “that’s very sad, I feel terrible for the whole family.”
Or don’t comment.
Yep. Pathetic.

Wow the comments here. 😳 The driver that hit them was trying to pass another vehicle. That second vehicle saw the two on bikes and moved to his left to give the bikers room - like he’s supposed to do. The drunk guy assumed he was being blocked from passing, went to the right side to pass, and hit the cyclists.

Seems to me the cyclists were plenty visible if sober drivers gave way. If I had to guess, they were out for a ride, not picking up a grocery list. And therefore were probably properly equipped for riding past dark.
Sounds like a case of road rage.

Bike Lanes in urban settings is one of those things that sounds better than it is. Sounds practical but it isn't. No one from Wexford or Mt. Lebanon or Moon is biking into town, eating and drinking, shopping and driving home. It is more "feel good" things that in application, really don't resolve or solve anything.

The State of Pennsylvania is is FAR too soft on drunk driving. First time offenders often enter a program called ARD that is essentially a diversion program where if you meet certain criteria set fourth by the court for a time frame set by the court, your arrest and charges are dropped and expunged from your record. Mandatory loss of your license and 90 day jail sentence would probably help a little bit.

I'm worried someday I will hit a fast jogger at a crosswalk for this very reason. When I'm watching the road to make a turn at a stop sign, and as it's clear I start the turn only to have a fast jogger who wasn't in my view a few seconds before is now running fast crossing in front of me.

Bike Lanes in urban settings is one of those things that sounds better than it is. Sounds practical but it isn't. No one from Wexford or Mt. Lebanon or Moon is biking into town, eating and drinking, shopping and driving home. It is more "feel good" things that in application, really don't resolve or solve anything.

I used to work with a guy who biked to work downtown everyday, literally even in the freezing winter. I think there are people out there like that but not many. If you want to have bike-only lanes, fine whatever, but I dont want people riding bikes on main roads. Yes, as drivers we are responsible but dang, one mistake and its prison...and for what, because some dude wanted to ride a bike on a highway for recreation instead of the bike trail? Its just not necessary.

Reactions: VolPanther
Rural folks won’t ever move to EV’s for a couple reasons. EV’s are often too expensive, and when EV’s became political, that was it for EV’s for some people.

I saw something really funny. Was driving in the most rural backwoodsish area imaginable recently and I saw some run-down house with a Tesla charging station and a Tesla hooked up.

As for the political thing, I dont see how Tesla's can be "political" because the technology and "green-ness" is left but the owner is right. So doesn't that cancel each other out? Though my theory on why the stock is slipping is because lefties dont like Elon so they are boycotting and righties are afraid of something new. So they are kinda screwed.

bikers riding bikes on rural roads after dark and drunk drivers don't mix....

Yeah, I really dont understand why people do that.

While I worked at the Pentagon and lived in Old Town my coworker died doing the same, and 10 bicyclist died in my time living there. It isnt a smart thing to do.

They were in a suburb of Philadelphia. Sunset tonight in Philly is listed as 7:34. So at 8:20 it was pretty dark.

Which in no way excuses the drunk. Seems like the person in front of the drunk saw them and the drunk did not.
Worse than that
The drunk passed a car on the right side (since the other driver was likely giving more space to the bikers like a normal person should when possible )

The bike lanes aren’t for commuters into the city
It’s for the folks who live here .
Stay in your lane
Literally the bike racks at work are full. It’s honestly faster to bike to work from highland park to Lawrenceville than park and ride a shuttle .
I have neighbors who bike to Oakland for work, too .

Or don’t comment.
Let’s be honest - the driver being drunk only makes it seem
Worse . That one is a pro athlete is why it’s even news
But sure - let’s all virtue signal for strangers

The State of Pennsylvania is is FAR too soft on drunk driving. First time offenders often enter a program called ARD that is essentially a diversion program where if you meet certain criteria set fourth by the court for a time frame set by the court, your arrest and charges are dropped and expunged from your record. Mandatory loss of your license and 90 day jail sentence would probably help a little bit.
I previously worked in the criminal justice system. I dont understand how people continue to get arrested for DUI's anymore, it is so avoidable with the amount of ride share apps anymore. You are correct, PA seems to be a bit softer on DUI penalties, but they do hit you pretty hard when it comes to fines and court cost.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT