ADVERTISEMENT

Narduzzi in the News

I much prefer honesty than media handling where what someone says has no value whatsoever. What you are doing is insular and your customers will eventually distrust you because there is zero attempt at honesty and openness.
Ah no its not about bull shitting anybody particularly your clients. its about things yousay that the media will distort to fit their narrative. He could probably be taught toleave certain subjects alone related to departing coaches, players, etc.

Did 2 schools offer him $5 million each? Does he have first-hand knowledge or proof? If so, be a man and say what institutions. If not, then I don't care what you heard Tammy and Mark did under the bleachers last tuesday.

This writer's entire point is that coaches are spreading rumors and exaggerations to forward their cause to a solution that is beneficial to themselves. If Narduzzi wants to come out and give facts about the Addison situation, then do it. But to every non-Pitt fan, and many Pitt fans, he is just coming across like an entitled sore loser.
I'm glad that you can speak for "every non-Pitt fan".

I suspect that you are way off base and that almost all college football fans support Narduzzi's statement ... because it represents their impression of the tampering that is happening regardless of the exact facts.

Ah no its not about bull shitting anybody particularly your clients. its about things yousay that the media will distort to fit their narrative. He could probably be taught toleave certain subjects alone related to departing coaches, players, etc.
Nonsense. There is no reason to be politically correct in college FB.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce

Pat Narduzzi keeps pointing to NIL as college football's boogeyman, even when there's no sign it's true​

Dan Wetzel
Mon, December 26, 2022 at 6:29 PM EST

College football — or at least its reputation — is under assault right now. The main culprit, however, is not name, image and likeness deals, the transfer portal or supposed tampering of players on other rosters.

The biggest damage is being done by the sport’s coaches who, like a pack of rumor-mongering junior high kids, spread wild stories about its demise, most of which prove overinflated, if not patently false.

If it's not the fake news that’s hurting college football, it’s the fake outrage inspired by it.

The latest came last week when Pittsburgh head coach Pat Narduzzi went on Pittsburgh’s 93.7 The Fan and lamented the changing times, such as players sitting out bowl games to focus on their professional futures.

(No mention was made of the long-standing tradition of coaches bailing on bowl teams to take new jobs or some bowl directors making nearly $1 million a year to stage a single game or anything else like that, of course.)

Narduzzi then went on to discuss North Carolina quarterback Drake Maye, who decided to remain in Chapel Hill rather than enter the transfer portal and explore interest from other schools.

Previously, Carolina head coach Mack Brown said schools he refused to name had offered Maye “a whole lot of money” to transfer. Later, he acknowledged the “tampering” was done via agents and not any actual coaches and, as such, there was no way to prove or know the actual details.

Soon, social media was full of speculation of a $4 million offer, then a $5 million offer. Other coaches privately mocked such numbers as wildly out of line with market rates. Major athletic directors have noted there are only a handful, at most, of school collectives with $5 million total for the entire athletic department.

Still, it was like a game of telephone.

“I heard two schools [for] $5 million [each],” Narduzzi said.

Wait, now it was two schools?

He offered no other details and decried that schools were “tampering.”

It made, of course, little sense that a coach would have the intricate knowledge of private conversasions/negotiations involving other schools and another school’s player. This was triple hearsay, at best.

Regardless, the story spread, as did the panic among some media and fans who worry about the “wild, wild west” nature of the sport.

Maye soon dismissed the story to ESPN and acted bewildered why Narduzzi would weigh in at all.

"Those rumors weren't really reality," Maye told ESPN, adding, "Pitt's coach ended up putting that out there. I don't know what that was about."

So what happened?

“Some people were texting my high school coach about it,” Maye said. “That's mainly what happened, people reached out to some of my representatives and NIL media people … There was nothing to me or my family directly offered from any of these other schools. Nothing was said or offered to the Mayes."

"... Really, not that much went down," Maye continued. "There was speculation [that Maye might transfer] and an Instagram post [by Maye declaring he was staying at UNC] and a head coach [at another school] said turned down this amount of money that I'd never heard of.

“That's basically the gist."

So, basically nothing. No significant “tampering” — which as a concept isn’t even a bad thing. No massive offer. In fact, Maye instead agreed to a deal with North Carolina’s NIL collective for what its executive director told ESPN was a “a very, very fair amount.” In other words, the system worked.

Before the truth got out, though, another bit of damage to the sport was done. There is a sizable enough number of fans who think the game is in trouble because some coaches claim it is. The idea persists that there are unnamed and unknown programs out there, offering mass amounts of money to steal players from self-respecting institutions.

As a result, the entire sport is a disaster and there is no reason to even be a fan.

(Conversely, if the Narduzzi story was true, you could look at it as unbelievably great news that someone learned of multiple offers of $5 million to do the same job they just did, but that would require an entire rewiring of the sport’s mindset.)

Look, these coaches have lost a measure of control in the job. Players have more power and freedom. Building and maintaining a roster is no doubt more labor intensive.

There has been a disruption to business and, like it is in many industries, the old guard isn’t comfortable. So despite their ever-increasing salaries, they are up in their feelings and acting out.

Are there some players who transfer or pick a program due to an offer of more money (usually a moderate amount)? Sure. There has to be. After all, coaches switch jobs for that reason all the time. Is it an epidemic? Hardly. There are many reasons to change schools. Money is but one of them. And the transfer portal works both ways, after all. Even Pitt is adding a transfer quarterback for the second consecutive year.

If coaches have reasonable suggestions to improve an ever-changing world, amplifying these fabulous stories certainly doesn't help accomplish them. The wailing kills their credibility.

Where are these big offers, anyway? Last year, the big scandal was when star receiver Jordan Addison left Pitt for USC. The rumor mill claimed Addison was lured by a $3 million deal, discounting any interest in playing with a star quarterback (Caleb Williams) in an electric offense (Lincoln Riley’s) in a great city (Los Angeles).

Addison caught just 59 passes, so if the dollar figure had been true, it was a horrendous investment.

But was it true? If USC is so wealthy it paid $3 million for a single season from a single wide receiver then it should have at least that much to spread around for next year, too. Yet the Trojans signed just four top-100 recruits and have landed just one top 20 transfer, weak by their traditional standards.

NIL being out of control is a good narrative because it casts sympathy on supposedly upstanding, old-school coaches while cutting at the credibility and ethics of others.

Meanwhile, Mack Brown is aided by the story of his star quarterback so valuing his opportunity to play at UNC that he wouldn’t ever entertain these “whole lot of money” offers … and then got paid anyway.

Win. Win.

Has NIL changed college football? Sure. Is this a real problem? We’ll see, but nothing major has materialized yet, certainly not these overblown stories coaches are telling that do little but cut into the popularity of their own sport.

So, basically Dan Wetzel is doing exactly what he is complaining about Coaches doing. Saying stuff without anything to back it up.

Well done!

The issue revolves around tampering. Why is that so hard to understand?
Exactly. Nothing PN said indicates he‘s against players getting paid. But there is a straightforward process regarding transfers: if a player puts his name in the Portal, he is fair game for EVERYBODY And there is no problem with others trying to acquire him.

But when other teams contact a player on another team‘s roster who is NOT in the Portal (like Addison or Maye) and try to steal them by making enticing offers, that is tampering.

It seems there are some that are challenged in terms of distinguishing what coaches like PN (or Dave Clawson, or Mack Brown, or the Wash ST HC, or the UTSA HC) are pointing out. Like the person you replied to. :confused:

Again saying nothing. From your audience I am telling you that is how it comes across.

There is no way to stop tampering so no point complaining about it.

These coaches can either learn to live in the current system or they can try and go to the NFL.
More nonsense. Change can happen when most know the current system is wrong.

Reactions: PittMan 72

I suspect that you are way off base and that almost all college football fans support Narduzzi's statement ... because it represents their impression of the tampering that is happening regardless of the exact facts.
Arguments are pretty easy when you insert "every" in front of words to make your point. Let me try.

I'm glad you can speak for "every college football fan" to say that they support Narduzzi's statement.

Again, Narduzzi is in a unique situation of having firsthand experience of a player being poached because of booster NIL stuff, so he should be that poster child. If he wants to speak on the subject he more than most has THE topic and example to tie his generalizations. Instead he spreads rumors about a player that he has no business speculating about.

Either way, college coaches have zero legs to stand on when complaining about this stuff. They are arguably the largest benefactor of the old system with virtually zero restrictions on their mobility for the past 50 years. But I guess I'm way off base with Narduzzi, by gosh he's so humble he doesn't even know how much he makes or what his contract says dontcha know.

More nonsense. Change can happen when most know the current system is wrong.
What change do you see coming?

If you are expecting the NCAA to wade those waters and actually do something then you are going to be waiting for a while.

Congress is not going to give you what you want and is far more likely to beat up the NCAA more and make it easier for players to make money and move around.

The way to actually fix this is to make the players employees but that scares the schools even more.

Arguments are pretty easy when you insert "every" in front of words to make your point. Let me try.

I'm glad you can speak for "every college football fan" to say that they support Narduzzi's statement.

Again, Narduzzi is in a unique situation of having firsthand experience of a player being poached because of booster NIL stuff, so he should be that poster child. If he wants to speak on the subject he more than most has THE topic and example to tie his generalizations. Instead he spreads rumors about a player that he has no business speculating about.

Either way, college coaches have zero legs to stand on when complaining about this stuff. They are arguably the largest benefactor of the old system with virtually zero restrictions on their mobility for the past 50 years. But I guess I'm way off base with Narduzzi, by gosh he's so humble he doesn't even know how much he makes or what his contract says dontcha know.
I don’t get your point about “every” since you’re the one who used it.

The rest of your post is pretty much irrelevant to the point of player tampering so I’ll ignore it as the nonsense it is.

What change do you see coming?

If you are expecting the NCAA to wade those waters and actually do something then you are going to be waiting for a while.

Congress is not going to give you what you want and is far more likely to beat up the NCAA more and make it easier for players to make money and move around.

The way to actually fix this is to make the players employees but that scares the schools even more.
I’m not in charge so I don’t make changes. But I can recognize when a situation is ripe for change.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce

But as a non-Pitt fan, he certainly has a better viewpoint than us in that regard.

Reactions: NCPitt
Why? They were able to prevent it for years. Included coaches and alumni.
The only thing that prevented it was having to sit out a year and coaches being able to block schools a player could transfer to and those 2 things are not changing.

I would take our coaches word over some media writer trying to get clicks. We all know it’s happening so it’s time to stop pretending.

We certainly do not need some enabler u fanboy telling us about our coach when the world knows that their coach was a liar and knew!!

I don’t get your point about “every” since you’re the one who used it.

The rest of your post is pretty much irrelevant to the point of player tampering so I’ll ignore it as the nonsense it is.
Yeah, dealing with round 2 of COVID so not the sharpest right now. Last time came out with 2 autoimmune disorders so here's hoping to avoid the hat-trick. I'm a bit delirious and not even sure what point I was trying to make there.

If Narduzzi has to resort to rumors and innuendo to make his argument then it just comes across as sad.

Exactly. Nothing PN said indicates he‘s against players getting paid. But there is a straightforward process regarding transfers: if a player puts his name in the Portal, he is fair game for EVERYBODY And there is no problem with others trying to acquire him.

But when other teams contact a player on another team‘s roster who is NOT in the Portal (like Addison or Maye) and try to steal them by making enticing offers, that is tampering.

It seems there are some that are challenged in terms of distinguishing what coaches like PN (or Dave Clawson, or Mack Brown, or the Wash ST HC, or the UTSA HC) are pointing out. Like the person you replied to. :confused:
Exactly. I don't see what is so hard to understand about that. Even Jimbo Fisher pointed it out.

Reactions: PittMan 72
Yeah, dealing with round 2 of COVID so not the sharpest right now. Last time came out with 2 autoimmune disorders so here's hoping to avoid the hat-trick. I'm a bit delirious and not even sure what point I was trying to make there.

If Narduzzi has to resort to rumors and innuendo to make his argument then it just comes across as sad.
You're the only one who sees it as sad.

Why? They were able to prevent it for years. Included coaches and alumni.

Wait, you really don't think that there was tampering going on before a year or so ago?

The fact is that they HAVEN'T been able to prevent it before now, and with the current rules they've just made it so that the potential payoff comes that much quicker, which makes it that much more likely. Because the people in charge simply do not want to address the actual problem, they want someone else to solve their problems for them.

The truth is , in every walk of life, the rich get richer no matter the changes in policies and practicises (sp). It is just some venting on behalf of a have not, some of us have been there, and again, who cares what Narduzzi says?

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
I would take our coaches word over some media writer trying to get clicks. We all know it’s happening so it’s time to stop pretending.

We certainly do not need some enabler u fanboy telling us about our coach when the world knows that their coach was a liar and knew!!
Pickett said schools reached out to him, SirVocea said the same thing. It happens. The more coaches call it out, the better.

UNC's head coach put that out there. Narduzzi just repeated hearsay on the amount.

I've been visiting SEC country since Thanksgiving, and it's reported as fact that Bama tried to buy Drake Maye.

Wait, you really don't think that there was tampering going on before a year or so ago?

The fact is that they HAVEN'T been able to prevent it before now, and with the current rules they've just made it so that the potential payoff comes that much quicker, which makes it that much more likely. Because the people in charge simply do not want to address the actual problem, they want someone else to solve their problems for them.
There was, but I don't think it was common. Having to sit a year pretty much made the whole thing a waste of time. Addison wouldn't go to USC to sit a year, when he would be on to the league the very next year.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
There was, but I don't think it was common. Having to sit a year pretty much made the whole thing a waste of time. Addison wouldn't go to USC to sit a year, when he would be on to the league the very next year.
The plug & play aspect of getting a great proven player who can play without sitting a year has ramped up the lust and temptation to steal tremendously.

Seeing that nothing is being done to stop it has eliminated the risk and apparently made it almost irresistible in some cases.

Reactions: TD_6082
There absolutely need to be changes. Of course the changes that need to be made are that instead of all this going through boosters and collectives it should be the schools directly employing and paying the players. And the schools want no part of that.

If Narduzi really wants to solve the problem, he needs to be complaining that the people who sign his checks, and the people at the other schools who sign other coaches checks, want absolutely no part of the real solution. They only want to bitch about what avoiding the real solution has caused.
Exactly, and this is what the writer himself said:

"If coaches have reasonable suggestions to improve an ever-changing world, amplifying these fabulous stories certainly doesn't help accomplish them. The wailing kills their credibility."

• Haha
Exactly. I don't see what is so hard to understand about that. Even Jimbo Fisher pointed it out.

Apparently it's hard enough to understand that you and most people don't understand the tampering rules. Unless it's at the direction of a coach or administration, then it's not against NCAA rules. Agents, NIL collectives, parents, and other players are all completely free to discuss NIL and transferring whenever they damn well please.

Should that rule be changed, sure. Is the NCAA in any position to change it without weathering lawsuits, probably not. The NCAA doesn't want to be in court anymore. It's up to the schools/conferences/congress to put an end to this.

Apparently it's hard enough to understand that you and most people don't understand the tampering rules. Unless it's at the direction of a coach or administration, then it's not against NCAA rules. Agents, NIL collectives, parents, and other players are all completely free to discuss NIL and transferring whenever they damn well please.

Should that rule be changed, sure. Is the NCAA in any position to change it without weathering lawsuits, probably not. The NCAA doesn't want to be in court anymore. It's up to the schools/conferences/congress to put an end to this.
There can be no play for pay. There can be nothing stipulating a player must play for a particular school as part of the NIL deal.

The school a player is playing for is to provide the NIL agreement to the NCAA to substantiate that the arrangement complies.

There can be no play for pay. There can be nothing stipulating a player must play for a particular school as part of the NIL deal.

The school a player is playing for is to provide the NIL agreement to the NCAA to substantiate that the arrangement complies.
Yeah and we all know how ironclad that rule is at preventing those types of agreements. There are all types of ways to get around that rule and every single school's NIL collective is using them, or do think Addison still signed or collected on the NIL deals he had with Pitt or that they were working on to keep him in Pittsburgh?

Regardless, that isn't tampering and none of that prevents NIL collectives from reaching out to players to let them know they are looking for "exceptional local community leaders" to sponsor for charity events or whatever should they find themselves in South Bend.

Yeah and we all know how ironclad that rule is at preventing those types of agreements. There are all types of ways to get around that rule and every single school's NIL collective is using them, or do think Addison still signed or collected on the NIL deals he had with Pitt or that they were working on to keep him in Pittsburgh?

Regardless, that isn't tampering and none of that prevents NIL collectives from reaching out to players to let them know they are looking for "exceptional local community leaders" to sponsor for charity events or whatever should they find themselves in South
I guess the answer will be for everyone to start tampering and stealing back.

Should all work out great.

Apparently it is so hard to understand that you don't understand.

Tampering is against the rules by anyone including agents, NIL collectives, etc.

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/ncaa/NIL/May2022NIL_Guidance.pdf

Exactly. And then crying that damage is done? What an ignorant blind fool to think this stuff doesn't go on. How are reporters this dumb?
National dirtbags like this ahole only care about the big programs and chasing the hot story. In their minds it was a great thing lowly Pitt’s best player was improperly stolen by a big dog. F this fecal matter to deepest hell. It’s trash like him that happily ignored and condoned the Penn State rapes.

Yeah, I think literally everybody understands the tampering rules. Obviously, It is being done at the direction of coaches.

Apparently it is so hard to understand that you don't understand.

Tampering is against the rules by anyone including agents, NIL collectives, etc.

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/ncaa/NIL/May2022NIL_Guidance.pdf
I honestly don't know if anything you posted would be relevant since it's talking about prospective student athletes, which enrolled non-transfer listed students are not. Unless that guidance specifically mentions SAs, I don't believe it applies to a non-transfer listed player.

But that doesn't mean I am correct either. The bylaw which triggers tampering with current student athletes is 13.1.1.3. The definition that I was using did not include the phrase "representatives of the institution's athletics interest" that appears in the official bylaws and includes boosters/NIL collectives. So the NIL collectives can't mention transferring, but they can mention that they are looking for "exceptional members of the South Bend Community" to sponsor for the upcoming season. Current players, however can still recruit student athletes all they want which is probably why USC pushed the "old friends" angle so hard.

Reactions: DanMarinoFan1970
ADVERTISEMENT