ADVERTISEMENT

Ot: I tried telling you guys (steeler QBs)

Difference between a bad college secondary and nfl caliber .
If you rewatch those throws - he threw lollipops that Washington ran to.
And yet with that lollipop arm, he got drafted in the 3rd round by the Steelers. Someone thought he could carve out an NFL career.

steelers graded him as a first rd pick lol. As a steeler fan, that isnt reassuring to me and explains a lot of our recent draft day gaffes..
It was a gaffe for sure. In hindsight it wasn’t the right pick for the Steelers given that Ben was coming back for a few years. If his arm is as bad as everyone says, how does anyone have a first round grade on the guy? Lol. Now I’m scared that they are overvaluing Kenny!

Reactions: HailToPitt725
It was a gaffe for sure. In hindsight it wasn’t the right pick for the Steelers given that Ben was coming back for a few years. If his arm is as bad as everyone says, how does anyone have a first round grade on the guy? Lol. Now I’m scared that they are overvaluing Kenny!
i really think fans use the "weak arm" argument way way too much, almost like a crutch because they dont have the knowledge or intellect to identify a QB's weaknesses. He doesnt have a great arm but few QBs do. His arm is fine and he can make the throws if needed..

Honestly, i feel like his pocket presense is too slow almost, like the opposite of an inexperienced qb. He seems to relaxed in the pocket, stays in and holds the ball too long. You almost want him to have a little more anxiety in there instead of letting the pocket swallow him up as it does way too often. I am not sure if he has trouble with defenses or doesnt trust the Wrs or what but he waits too long on the throws and making the reads..

A lot of QBs who played in the "one read and throw it deep" offensive schemes have difficulty when they actually face a real defense like they see in the NFL.

And yet with that lollipop arm, he got drafted in the 3rd round by the Steelers. Someone thought he could carve out an NFL career.

That might have been one of the most fruitless drafts in Steeler history where they actually had a full slate of picks (well, at least seven).

Edmunds
Washington
Rudolph
Okorafor
Allen
Samuels
Frazier (I don't even know who this is)

I'm there have been worse, but that one isn't good.

steelers graded him as a first rd pick lol. As a steeler fan, that isnt reassuring to me and explains a lot of our recent draft day gaffes..
I never believed the first-round grade. You don't pass up on a QB with a first-round grade twice, particularly when one of those guys was Terrell Edmunds.

I never believed the first-round grade. You don't pass up on a QB with a first-round grade twice, particularly when one of those guys was Terrell Edmunds.
well this was straight from steelers personnel. not sure why they'd make it public to be honest, it was a dumb thing to say out loud, even if true.

That game was a mess from just about every aspect. Everyone forgets how Detroit ran all over the Steelers and failed brilliantly any time they got close to the end zone. Terrible field position all day, miserable weather, and a host of backups muddling around, looking lost. Not saying Rudolph didn't throw some bad passes that day but Rudolph was hardly the biggest factor in that loss.
Exactly. His receivers fumbled two balls…one after a nice completion that should have led to a game winning field goal.
i really think fans use the "weak arm" argument way way too much, almost like a crutch because they dont have the knowledge or intellect to identify a QB's weaknesses. He doesnt have a great arm but few QBs do. His arm is fine and he can make the throws if needed..

Honestly, i feel like his pocket presense is too slow almost, like the opposite of an inexperienced qb. He seems to relaxed in the pocket, stays in and holds the ball too long. You almost want him to have a little more anxiety in there instead of letting the pocket swallow him up as it does way too often. I am not sure if he has trouble with defenses or doesnt trust the Wrs or what but he waits too long on the throws and making the reads..

A lot of QBs who played in the "one read and throw it deep" offensive schemes have difficulty when they actually face a real defense like they see in the NFL.
which was my point against Detroit. He wasn’t the reason they tied that game. He had a “Ben like” game and even led them down the field for a game winning field goal (ala Ben) but Johnson inexplicably fumbled the game away. He did his job with no support all around him and didn’t have all his receivers healthy. I don’t even think he got much prep the week before. And he even scrambled and kept drives alive.

all of this said…the same Steelers who drafted him don’t think he’s the answer, otherwise they wouldn’t have brought in two QBs in the off season.

word is Trubinsky is struggling and Rudolph is the most accurate arm in camp.

Reactions: pittdan77
3rd round is low risk
he only needed to be better than Landry Jones to justify it (who was a 4th rounder ) and he was

i wouldn’t read much into it
There’s a reason despite Ben having a dead arm and being immobile for 2 years , it took a failed COVID test for him to get any run

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
word is Trubinsky is struggling and Rudolph is the most accurate arm in camp.
yeah, i believe the reports that Rudolph looks better than Kenny and mitch. The pickett news isnt that crazy to me, a rookie struggling in his first week of nfl camp isnt exactly shocking. A tad concerning hearing Mitch struggle but i dont even think they have practiced with pads yet.

Honestly, if this continues and Rudolph is the starter coming out of camp (i know this wont happen but IF) then man, i really think you blow it all up and start over in '23 with a whole new staff including getting rid of mediocre mike.

that's how bad i think it would be if someone like Mason Rudolph was your top qb coming out of camp after bringin in Mitch and drafting KP.

Edmunds while not great will have played in every game as a starter for 6 years now .
I

yeah, i believe the reports that Rudolph looks better than Kenny and mitch. The pickett news isnt that crazy to me, a rookie struggling in his first week of nfl camp isnt exactly shocking. A tad concerning hearing Mitch struggle but i dont even think they have practiced with pads yet.

Honestly, if this continues and Rudolph is the starter coming out of camp (i know this wont happen but IF) then man, i really think you blow it all up and start over in '23 with a whole new staff including getting rid of mediocre mike.

that's how bad i think it would be if someone like Mason Rudolph was your top qb coming out of camp after bringin in Mitch and drafting KP.

I mean not making a comparison but all the reports on Mahomes first camp was how overwhelmed he was and folks thought he’d be a bust .

give me the gamer every day of the week

I would like to see the circumstances surrounding all this. Our line is just so bad, and I don't believe we did enough to address it. So it would be no surprise to me if the front seven was eating it for lunch and these QB's had no time or pocket. At least with pads there are ways to buy a little more time.

3rd round is low risk
he only needed to be better than Landry Jones to justify it (who was a 4th rounder ) and he was

i wouldn’t read much into it
There’s a reason despite Ben having a dead arm and being immobile for 2 years , it took a failed COVID test for him to get any run
Low risk for sure but I’m kinda with Ben (I hate agreeing with him) that they should have used the pick to fill another need. Just another reason Ben treated him like garbage.

I would like to see the circumstances surrounding all this. Our line is just so bad, and I don't believe we did enough to address it. So it would be no surprise to me if the front seven was eating it for lunch and these QB's had no time or pocket. At least with pads there are ways to buy a little more time.
When is the first game? I really hope all 3 guys get equal time with the first team. But I don’t think we will see that.

When is the first game? I really hope all 3 guys get equal time with the first team. But I don’t think we will see that.

August 13th. Looking at the wind forecast now. If it's too bad, Kendrick Green has to sit out so he doesn't blow away (similar to how Ryan Clark couldn't play in Denver with that Sickle Cell issue).

Low risk for sure but I’m kinda with Ben (I hate agreeing with him) that they should have used the pick to fill another need. Just another reason Ben treated him like garbage.
They needed a backup and a 3rd rounder on a rookie contract is cap friendly .
If Ben wanted other needs addressed - maybe he shouldn’t have eaten up 35% of the cap alone ?!?

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
August 13th. Looking at the wind forecast now. If it's too bad, Kendrick Green has to sit out so he doesn't blow away (similar to how Ryan Clark couldn't play in Denver with that Sickle Cell issue).
Kendrick Green, another great pick by our staff.. Our starting center who said publicly that he doesnt like playing center and isnt comfortable playing center and is now a guard.

Kendrick Green, another great pick by our staff.. Our starting center who said publicly that he doesnt like playing center and isnt comfortable playing center and is now a guard.
Ya mean a 3rd rounder who contributed immediately?
Just like Moore Jr?
I get the yinzer is strong in this fanbase - but a bit of rationality helps at times

I'd have approached that entire draft differently. I get that the value wasn't there to take a tackle in the first round, but trade down or something. By the time they solve their line issues, Harris may be in a wheelchair from running 320 times into a brick wall.

Ya mean a 3rd rounder who contributed immediately?
Just like Moore Jr?
I get the yinzer is strong in this fanbase - but a bit of rationality helps at times
contributed immediately is a kind way to put it. forced at center and failed miserably, replaced by a journeyman and in off season, publicly admitted he didnt want to play center.

drafting a guy to play a position he didnt play and doesnt want to play is not a great strategy. If only they had time to interview these potential picks before they picked them? Oh wait, they have months and months to do this, never mind.

I liked the Moore pick. Greene will be a backup guard this year and not on the roster next year. another in a long line of terrible picks under the mediocre mike regime. they brought in Mason cole and James Daniels in the off season because this Greene pick was a bad one. Not only did he fail at center but he wont even win the Guard job that he wants.

Last edited:
Ha!! Another factor in that Detroit game!

Edmunds while not great will have played in every game as a starter for 6 years now .
I
The point is no GM is going to take a safety of Edmunds caliber (he wasn't exactly a consensus first-round graded safety) over a QB who has a first-round grade. Not one.

DNP on Wednesday or Thursday.
So two sources with two different answers. Regardless, according to that article he practiced Friday which is usually an indicator of availability. I'm not really sure what your point is but the rest of the facts around the game remain the same. Still comes off as a "so what".

So two sources with two different answers. Regardless, according to that article he practiced Friday which is usually an indicator of availability. I'm not really sure what your point is but the rest of the facts around the game remain the same. Still comes off as a "so what".
The Steelers.com link is the official practice report for the team. He did not practice on Wednesday or Thursday. I posted the Pryor tweet to highlight that Roethlisberger rarely practiced on Wednesdays. The bottom line is Rudolph had multiple practices as the No. 1 that week and basically was the No. 1 QB every Wednesday throughout the season so I didn't want to hear the excuse that he lacked reps.

The Steelers.com link is the official practice report for the team. He did not practice on Wednesday or Thursday. I posted the Pryor tweet to highlight that Roethlisberger rarely practiced on Wednesdays. The bottom line is Rudolph had multiple practices as the No. 1 that week and basically was the No. 1 QB every Wednesday throughout the season so I didn't want to hear the excuse that he lacked reps.
If you say so.

Rudolph’s performances the last couple of years were a victim of the stripped down steeler offense. And in the case of the Detroit game, it was the offense, the B teamers all around him, the turnovers by his receivers, and the weather. No one said he’s a superstar, or the guy we want to lead the team, but he’s not what everyone made him out to be.

Then it was pretty stupid signing a free agent and using your #1 pick on a QB. Personally I think he has no pocket awareness, people are right in front of him and he doesn't see them coming. I don't even think they've run real scrimmages yet either.

Then it was pretty stupid signing a free agent and using your #1 pick on a QB. Personally I think he has no pocket awareness, people are right in front of him and he doesn't see them coming. I don't even think they've run real scrimmages yet either.
that's exactly what i see too. he just stays in the pocket with zero awareness or urgency. he's no athlete at all, slow as all heck, i get it but you have to at least move a little bit to the left or right when you see a defender about to kill you.

Then it was pretty stupid signing a free agent and using your #1 pick on a QB.
Some of us said this on the evening of the draft. As much fun as it was that evening for Pitt fans with the whole Pickett thing, it underscored some rather baffling decisions. It opened the team up to criticism for pretty much whatever ends up happening, short of an inexplicable playoff run, because nobody is likely going to be happy regardless of how things go. If it crashes spectacularly, which it well might if Rudolph legitimately wins the job, this time there might not be enough Teflon for the coaches and admin. Well, all but Tomlin, naturally.

But come on, it’s ridiculously early to decide anyone is above anyone else yet. I still figure on Trubisky ending up the starter at the beginning of the season, but then all bets are off from there.

That's been my point. This "great franchise" has become mediocre with the current management, well now maybe new blood at GM, but doubt it. 3 playoff wins in 11 years. Yeah, yeah, "no losing seasons", okay you had a 1st ballot HOFer at QB during this time.

That's been my point. This "great franchise" has become mediocre with the current management, well now maybe new blood at GM, but doubt it. 3 playoff wins in 11 years. Yeah, yeah, "no losing seasons", okay you had a 1st ballot HOFer at QB during this time.
you let the HC call the shots in the war room on draft day, bad things happen. Once Colbert was neutered and had to share the call on the drafts, it went dramatically down hill.

Not only Ben but the following for several of those seasons (granted not always at the same time):

Lev Bell (in his brief prime)

Antonio Brown (before the batsh1t crazy kicked in)

TJ Watt

Cam Heyward (some say he’s as good as
AD…well, ok it was Cam himself who said it, but…)

Various Pro Bowl OL at various times

Joe Haden

Minkah Fitzpatrick

In other words, better talent than 3 playoff wins

you let the HC call the shots in the war room on draft day, bad things happen. Once Colbert was neutered and had to share the call on the drafts, it went dramatically down hill.
This is alway a hysterical notion
Good picks - Colbert
Bad picks - Tomlin
Who actually made the calls ? Rooney

They didn’t think Pickett would be there end of round 1.
If he was picked earlier Steelers would have made a different position a pick .
Isn’t complicated
They signed Mitch because going into camp with only Mason would be a dereliction of duty

The point is no GM is going to take a safety of Edmunds caliber (he wasn't exactly a consensus first-round graded safety) over a QB who has a first-round grade. Not one.
It’s because Rudolph wasn’t -
Them pumping up the second 3rd round pick was just to quiet the “give Ben more tools !” Crowd
Nothing more and nothing less

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT