ADVERTISEMENT

Ot: I tried telling you guys (steeler QBs)

having a backup is a tough balance. you get a really good one and he doesnt play, well you've most likely over spent or over drafted a player for no reason. But then again, if you go the cheap route and your QB goes down, your season is most likely over..

For years, we had a capable backup with Batch, Leftwich, even that dude from dormont. All three could win you a game or two (best case), were relatively cheap and luckily Ben didnt get hurt for too many games where they had to play 5-6 games and would have been exposed..

It's weird how many of our backups probably have winning records.

Rudolph is 5-4-1
Batch 6-3
Dixon 2-1
Hodges 3-3
Vick 2-1
Jones 3-2

Maddox has an overall losing record, but it was probably a winning record the year he took over for Kordell and was actually a backup.

Says Leftwich is 0-1, but I swear I remember him winning at Washington (maybe Ben Started). And I think that loss was a Monday night game against the Ravens where we did some stupid things to piss the game away at the end.

We have a weird way of never completely sucking and always being able to muddy up games and win 17-14 when we need to. Well, at least we did (we did last year to an extent, but most of the teams with an offense blew our doors off). This franchise reminds me less and less of the one I grew up watching every season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick98
The "Steeler way" is taking a backup QB who probably sucks in the 4th or 5th so I can't really complain about them at least waiting until the 7th this time. PArtially joking, but we did have St. Pierre, Jones, Dixon, Jacobs, Rudolph, Dobbs, etc. taken in that mid-round range - not saying they all sucked.

But yeah - I'd probably test my luck with guys who have great tangibles in the late rounds and see if they can put it together, a la Ike Taylor, at the NFL level. Then again, that's me wanting to hit a home run with every pick. They're probably thinking more in terms of cheap labor, ready to play fairly soon, for backup and special teams duties.

Yeah it's hard to see the value in drafting a backup QB when your starting QB position is already unsettled (at least in the short term).

I also think that weaknesses on OL, ILB, CB, and DL depth weigh in favor of just hammering those positions throughout the draft. But like I said I'm not qualified to argue for or against a 7th round pick. Just too busy these days to know anyone but the top 90ish dudes in every class, and many of them just only on the surface.

It's weird how many of our backups probably have winning records.

Rudolph is 5-4-1
Batch 6-3
Dixon 2-1
Hodges 3-3
Vick 2-1
Jones 3-2

Maddox has an overall losing record, but it was probably a winning record the year he took over for Kordell and was actually a backup.

Says Leftwich is 0-1, but I swear I remember him winning at Washington (maybe Ben Started). And I think that loss was a Monday night game against the Ravens where we did some stupid things to piss the game away at the end.

We have a weird way of never completely sucking and always being able to muddy up games and win 17-14 when we need to. Well, at least we did (we did last year to an extent, but most of the teams with an offense blew our doors off). This franchise reminds me less and less of the one I grew up watching every season.
Steelers last losing season was 2003. The next closest team is the chiefs in 2012. not one losing season in 19 years is pretty impressive.

Steelers last losing season was 2003. The next closest team is the chiefs in 2012. not one losing season in 19 years is pretty impressive.

It is impressive, and I'll tip my cap to it. Although there might be something to this whole knowing your limitations and building your team accordingly, as opposed to slapping together a patchwork mash unit every year. The Bengals just went from 4-11 to having as many postseason wins in one season as we've had in the last 11.

I'm not saying they should have tanked seasons or anything, but last year is really the first year I had a huge issue with it. It should have been year one of a medium-sized rebuild instead of year 17 of the Big Ben Show. I can think of better uses of resources than $24M, or whatever it was, on a noodle-armed quarterback and a 1st round running back who was taken at least in part because of "Ben's window."

I'm not a hockey fan, but it seems like the Penguins might be doing the same thing now... clinging to getting one of the last playoff spots without being a real threat to do any damage in the playoffs, as opposed to just saying, "Hey, we need to start making moves for the future at this point."

Remember watching Rudolph and James washington in college and how they torched our Pitt defense. I kept thinking this guy is going to be an amazing quarterback in the NLF. I am still at a loss about what happened to Rudolph.
I could look good qbing that offense.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
It is impressive, and I'll tip my cap to it. Although there might be something to this whole knowing your limitations and building your team accordingly, as opposed to slapping together a patchwork mash unit every year. The Bengals just went from 4-11 to having as many postseason wins in one season as we've had in the last 11.

I'm not saying they should have tanked seasons or anything, but last year is really the first year I had a huge issue with it. It should have been year one of a medium-sized rebuild instead of year 17 of the Big Ben Show. I can think of better uses of resources than $24M, or whatever it was, on a noodle-armed quarterback and a 1st round running back who was taken at least in part because of "Ben's window."

I'm not a hockey fan, but it seems like the Penguins might be doing the same thing now... clinging to getting one of the last playoff spots without being a real threat to do any damage in the playoffs, as opposed to just saying, "Hey, we need to start making moves for the future at this point."
The Pens are definitely doing this.

Yeah it's hard to see the value in drafting a backup QB when your starting QB position is already unsettled (at least in the short term).

I also think that weaknesses on OL, ILB, CB, and DL depth weigh in favor of just hammering those positions throughout the draft. But like I said I'm not qualified to argue for or against a 7th round pick. Just too busy these days to know anyone but the top 90ish dudes in every class, and many of them just only on the surface.
Because a 7th rounder who is making less than $1 mil /a year to run scout team is cheaper than signing a FA to do that

Because a 7th rounder who is making less than $1 mil /a year to run scout team is cheaper than signing a FA to do that

They couldn't pick up a UDFA QB for that? They're $10 million under the cap even with the Minkah and Dionate extensions....

I don't think you should be drafting QBs to run the scout team. That's a burned pick. You take guys that you think can make the final 53 at least.

They couldn't pick up a UDFA QB for that? They're $10 million under the cap even with the Minkah and Dionate extensions....

I don't think you should be drafting QBs to run the scout team. That's a burned pick. You take guys that you think can make the final 53 at least.
Kids got a ton of talent. Probably was a lot higher on their board and they just couldn't not pick him at that point.

so if they are throw away picks, not to be expected to produce anything, why trade Mason for one?
They're not. Some pretty good NFL talent has come that late in the draft. Usually guys that have a ton of upside but maybe have some question marks. Julian Edelman comes to mind. They're the guys that are just a little too good to let drift to free agency.

They're not. Some pretty good NFL talent has come that late in the draft. Usually guys that have a ton of upside but maybe have some question marks. Julian Edelman comes to mind. They're the guys that are just a little too good to let drift to free agency.
so we cant expect anything from the 7th rd because it's late and it's foolish to expect a team to draft an actual player in the 7th rd but the steelers should trade mason for a 7th rd pick because some good nfl talent with a ton of upside can be found in the 7th round..

Got it..

Im not attacking you pittdan77, just the idea that we flip flop on this.

so we cant expect anything from the 7th rd because it's late and it's foolish to expect a team to draft an actual player in the 7th rd but the steelers should trade mason for a 7th rd pick because some good nfl talent with a ton of upside can be found in the 7th round..

Got it..

Im not attacking you pittdan77, just the idea that we flip flop on this.
I think the point goes back to, if you can move a guy you're probably not going to sign and don't need to keep, if you can get something of value in return, it's not all that bad of an idea. Raiders just got a conditional 7th round pick for one of their backups from Minnesota.

so if they are throw away picks, not to be expected to produce anything, why trade Mason for one?
Because he’s in the last year of his contract which means they get something instead of nothing next season ?
Is this really hard to understand ?
I high ceiling qb to run scout cheaply and act as an emergency backup is bad why ?
You prefer duck Hodges type guys ?

Because he’s in the last year of his contract which means they get something instead of nothing next season ?
Is this really hard to understand ?
I high ceiling qb to run scout cheaply and act as an emergency backup is bad why ?
You prefer duck Hodges type guys ?
souf, i dont even know what the heck you are talking about? Duck hodges? How in the hell did he get into this. where are these high ceiling, cheap scout team qbs that you are talking about?

you say 7th rd picks are a waste but we can get high ceiling qbs to run our scout teams in them?

All i am saying is his value on this team is more than a wasted (your words) pick. he's gone in one year, his hit is like 3m. WE are 10m under the cap, i'd rather keep him in case mitch or kenny get hurt than give him away for a draft pick that probably wont make the roster (your words).

We have a left guard who is so bad, he will get our starting qb hurt. its not an if, but a when. WHEN that happens, his value will go up even more. no team wants him or they'd have at least offered a 4th or 5th rd pick by now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Remember that this isn’t the 40s-60s where the Steelers would spend about 15 minutes planning for the draft and taking guys like Gary Glick with their top pick. Or the days of Art Jr and Bill Nunn finding unknown stars at the black colleges. Today teams have mind boggling numbers of staff, time, and energy expended on the draft, which includes the UDFA pool as well. As crazy as it may sound, given all this time and data, I would bet they maintain ranked lists of free agent candidates they’d like to procure for camp. They’re in open competition for those guys with other teams. So if an extra draft pick or two in the final round became available, it’s an opp to pick someone you would have normally thought you were going to need to coax to sign with you (and not with someone else). So that is one reason they might value a late pick rather than just cut the guy outright.

I wonder how the locker room would respond if the Steelers traded Mitch and decided to keep Mason as Kenny’s backup?

I wonder how the locker room would respond if the Steelers traded Mitch and decided to keep Mason as Kenny’s backup?
man, that would be a bold move. the return for Mitch would have to be really big for me to be ok with this. LIke 2nd rd pick in next years draft big..

On a side note, how bad does Ododakun suck for him to be cut already? Did he even play a snap in either pre season games?

man, that would be a bold move. the return for Mitch would have to be really big for me to be ok with this. LIke 2nd rd pick in next years draft big..

On a side note, how bad does Ododakun suck for him to be cut already? Did he even play a snap in either pre season games?
He was never going to make the 53 active roster
We are a week away from the big cuts

I really do think they took the guy hoping he could mimic some of the more mobile QB of future Steelers opponents for the scout team, but he must not have come any closer to providing that than any given RB or DB gibrone who will make the roster at another position and can play that role in weeks they face the Ravens . I mean he must have come up short in the mobility and elusiveness part of course. Maybe he actually was too GOOD of a passer to be effective in the Jackson role 😄

so we drafted a guy who was never going to make the roster? Great use of the draft once again by colbert and tomlin.
Do you understand that the scout team and practice squad aren’t part of the 53 man roster ?
Is this why you’re having a difficult time with this ?

Do you understand that the scout team and practice squad aren’t part of the 53 man roster ?
Is this why you’re having a difficult time with this ?
im still confused with your duck hodges reference to be honest.

he's not on the practice squad, we cut him.

go ahead, we'll let you off the hook for your earlier post about how he's a better option as 3rd string QB and watch as you change the subject cause your earlier argument was blown up..

I am still waiting for you to elaborate on this comment? Who were you referring too? high ceiling qb to run scout cheaply and act as an emergency backup is bad why ?

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
im still confused with your duck hodges reference to be honest.

he's not on the practice squad, we cut him. Please elaborate on this seperate scout team entity, i'd love to hear how you think practice or scout team players arent on the roster.

go ahead, we'll let you off the hook for your earlier post about how he's a better option as 3rd string QB and watch as you change the subject cause your earlier argument was blown up..
They drafted him for practices
This isn’t hard
I wager they will sign him to practice squad (16 assigned positions ) after the 53 is set
You prefer picking up an udfa for that role
Hence duck level players

are you new to the nfl ?

This isn’t hard
I wager they will sign him to practice squad (16 assigned positions ) after the 53 is set
Hence duck level players
So we drafted him to cut him after week two on purpose? To pick him up as a practice squad player later in September?

ok, we drafted a "practice" qb to cut him with 3 weeks of practice left before our first game sounds like a weird strategy to me but i love that you are sticking with this argument. So who is our practice qb now?

This isn’t hard
Hence duck level players

are you new to the nfl ?
Why release him now?

Why release him now?
dont even try to wrap your head around this. seriously, it makes no sense whatsoever.

In one post, he is saying how we need to trade rudolph for a valued 7th rd pick and 20 minutes later he's calling us all idiots to expect a 7th rd pick to ever make a roster. guy is all over the place..

The "high ceiling" comment is just icing on the cake.

So we drafted him to cut him after week two on purpose? To pick him up as a practice squad player later in September?

ok, we drafted a "practice" qb to cut him with 3 weeks of practice left before our first game sounds like a weird strategy to me but i love that you are sticking with this argument. So who is our practice qb now?
Haha. Reminds me of many locker room conversations with this guy.

dont even try to wrap your head around this. seriously, it makes no sense whatsoever.

In one post, he is saying how we need to trade rudolph for a valued 7th rd pick and 20 minutes later he's calling us all idiots to expect a 7th rd pick to ever make a roster. guy is all over the place..

The "high ceiling" comment is just icing on the cake.
There’s no way possible to justify drafting a QB and wasting a draft pick if you’re not going to give him one snap in camp.

it’s almost as bad as drafting a RB in the first round.

Seems odd to me they would outright cut Olakudun without giving him some game reps. Maybe they thought they could trade Rudolph but then realized they might need all 3 QBs this season given how the line has looked so far.

There’s no way possible to justify drafting a QB and wasting a draft pick if you’re not going to give him one snap in camp.

it’s almost as bad as drafting a RB in the first round.
i heard they are moving Kendrick Greene to full back since he seems to like doing all his blocking 5 yards deep in the backfield..

OK, i'll admit, i saw that on twitter. i cant take credit for that.

i heard they are moving Kendrick Greene to full back since he seems to like doing all his blocking 5 yards deep in the backfield..

That would still be more than Derek Watt has done.

I still harbor hopes Canada has double secret dazzle plays planned for D Watt, or maybe for Lil Heyward, like he suddenly unleashed on the world with with George Aston a couple games into the 2016 Pitt season. But maybe the 16 Pitt OL was far more superior than the current Steelers OL to be able to handle such glimmer plays. And normally that last sentence would be meant as a joke because it is so absurd, but not so much here.

Oladukun was the first player from the 2022 draft to get cut. You can’t make this stuff up.

Oladukun was the first player from the 2022 draft to get cut. You can’t make this stuff up.
i am actually kind of surprised that Duke RB got cut. i mean he was an UFA but i thought he'd be a good fit for us over McFarland. He was awesome at Duke, which i know, isnt exactly nfl caliber football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT