ADVERTISEMENT

Ot: I tried telling you guys (steeler QBs)

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
Rudolph’s performances the last couple of years were a victim of the stripped down steeler offense. And in the case of the Detroit game, it was the offense, the B teamers all around him, the turnovers by his receivers, and the weather. No one said he’s a superstar, or the guy we want to lead the team, but he’s not what everyone made him out to be.

The Steelers beat writers serve the team agenda- they are little lapdog who obey orders. Wexell is a good writer but he might as well be the Steelers press secretary. The fact that every one of them has gone out of their way to praise Rudolph means one thing and one thing only- the Steelers are trying to trick some team into giving up a 7th round pick for him.

The Steelers beat writers serve the team agenda- they are little lapdog who obey orders. Wexell is a good writer but he might as well be the Steelers press secretary. The fact that every one of them has gone out of their way to praise Rudolph means one thing and one thing only- the Steelers are trying to trick some team into giving up a 7th round pick for him.
Maybe. Wexell is one of the biggest aholes in the city so I don’t value his opinion. But it’s not like any of these guys went out of their way to praise him in the past or prior to the draft. I think it’s probably very true that he’s had a better 3 days than the other 3 QBs. Let’s see how week two goes.

If he’s as good as you think he is wouldn’t teams be coming for him, particularly after they signed Trubisky and drafted Pickett?

Ive always thought he was between what you think and those who you’re directing this post to.

Ultimately it means diddly poo what we think (obviously). But the rest of the NFL doesn’t seem to value him as high as you seem to. However getting a pick may still be possible. See who gets hurt or sucks. And if he’s that much better than the other 2 he may be the starter. They don’t have that much invested in Trubisky that he needs to be the guy.

Last edited:
Rudolph’s performances the last couple of years were a victim of the stripped down steeler offense. And in the case of the Detroit game, it was the offense, the B teamers all around him, the turnovers by his receivers, and the weather. No one said he’s a superstar, or the guy we want to lead the team, but he’s not what everyone made him out to be.

What did everyone make him out to be? He's a decent backup and if a team needs him to start then he won't win many games for them.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Maybe. Wexell is one of the biggest aholes in the city so I don’t value his opinion. But it’s not like any of these guys went out of their way to praise him in the past or prior to the draft. I think it’s probably very true that he’s had a better 3 days than the other 3 QBs. Let’s see how week two goes.
I was actually at practice yesterday. Pickett looked pretty bad for the most part, but the 3rd team secondary and d line were dominating the 3rd team o line and WRs, so it was tough to judge. He did make a fantastic throw at the goal line.

Trubisky looked like himself... pretty bad. But Pickens was the only 1st team WR practicing and the Steelers first team front 7 is miles better than the O line.

Rudolph made a few nice throws. His problem has never been that he can't make throws. He sucks in the pocket and crumbles under pressure. It isn't possible to learn much about a guy like that at practice where no one is wearing pads.

Two Questions:

Is getting even a 3rd round pick for him (it almost certainly would be more like a 5th, though, at best) worth him taking away reps from the two guys who will actually play this season? I would argue it definitely isn't. I keep seeing that Pickett is basically playing both behind and against guys way down on the depth chart... but why?

And then I've seen some publications mention trading Diontae Johnson for a second round pick. But wouldn't it be better to just let him play the season out and let him walk for a possible 3rd round compensatory pick (depending on their free agent activity, of course; I know it's not guaranteed to be that high)?

What did everyone make him out to be? He's a decent backup and if a team needs him to start then he won't win many games for them.
Did you read these boards? Virtually everyone said he wasn’t even an NFL backup.

So which is worse as a franchise…

you went out in the free agent market and bought a quarterback and you drafted a quarterback in the first round And Rudolph won the starting QB

OR

you let Rudolph go and he does well elsewhere?

Rudolph's flaws were fully exposed in the Detroit game. Poor pocket presence, doesn't throw his receivers open, overall lack of accuracy. He's a good backup and spot starter. They'll be lucky to get a 6th for him.

So which is worse as a franchise…

you went out in the free agent market and bought a quarterback and you drafted a quarterback in the first round And Rudolph won the starting QB

OR

you let Rudolph go and he does well elsewhere?
Doesn’t matter
trubinsky is a short contract insurance policy
They took Pickett because he was available at 20.

Remember watching Rudolph and James washington in college and how they torched our Pitt defense. I kept thinking this guy is going to be an amazing quarterback in the NLF. I am still at a loss about what happened to Rudolph.

Remember watching Rudolph and James washington in college and how they torched our Pitt defense. I kept thinking this guy is going to be an amazing quarterback in the NLF. I am still at a loss about what happened to Rudolph.
We never got any rush on him, much like we didn’t with many of our opponents earlier in Narduzzi’s tenure, so we were vulnerable to big pass plays from them, and everyone for that matter (including, ironically enough, Tribisky). The Big 12 isn’t necessarily known for its pass defense either. Thus, Rudolph entered the NFL with no evidence he could handle serious pass pressure very well. So far, he has not.

Our defense couldn't stop anyone that year. We gave up 35.2 PPG, including 61 to Syracuse, which was bottom 20 in FBS.

Rudolph was a typical Big 12 QB: a volume fueled meh. He averaged 10 yards per attempt his Senior year which is pretty good but his QBR (75.7) and EPA (70.9) were well-below the marks we look for. Kenny was 81.2 and 103.7 last year. Rudolph also cost his team nearly 20 points with sack yardage lost so it seems the failure to read the field problems existed in college, too.

I've seen enough of him in the NFL. He is not an NFL starter. The year he started for Ben (2019?) he was basically as bad as Dwayne Haskins and he lost his job to a UDFA from Samford. He's probably the 35th-40th best QB in the NFL.

You'd expect Mason to be the best QB so far since he's been in the league for 4+ years and has the longest tenure in this system. But keep in mind also that Mason's camp production is partially fueled by a huge 80+ WR screen that Calvin Austin took to the house.

If the Steelers start him over Trubisky I expect them to suck hard, maybe start 2-4 or something. In any event, I doubt that happens because I think he'll crumble a bit in live situations.

He played in a dumbed down steeler offense because of a Bad oline and design to keep the old Ben upright and from getting hit.

lol, i thought the same thing. I actually told people that he threw the best deep ball i've ever seen. Pretty strong words that i felt good about that well didnt age well to say the least.

Maybe Pitt's defense back then wasnt as good as an NFL defense. if we need any more data to back that up, we can watch Ryan Switzer highlights from UNC and compare it to his time with the steelers.

lol, i thought the same thing. I actually told people that he threw the best deep ball i've ever seen. Pretty strong words that i felt good about that well didnt age well to say the least.

Maybe Pitt's defense back then wasnt as good as an NFL defense. if we need any more data to back that up, we can watch Ryan Switzer highlights from UNC and compare it to his time with the steelers.
Difference between a bad college secondary and nfl caliber .
If you rewatch those throws - he threw lollipops that Washington ran to.

Difference between a bad college secondary and nfl caliber .
If you rewatch those throws - he threw lollipops that Washington ran to.
i'll take your word for it, i'd rather not voluntarily re-watch that game, first time was bad enough..

It's Big 12, which is essentially Arena Football. All of those QB's have these video game numbers.

Rudolph's flaws were fully exposed in the Detroit game. Poor pocket presence, doesn't throw his receivers open, overall lack of accuracy. He's a good backup and spot starter. They'll be lucky to get a 6th for him.
The fact he was inserted into the lineup at the last minute and then asked to throw the ball 50 times in a one score game to the likes of Ray Ray McCloud in a cold rain is a tough way to evaluate a guy. Especially when Najee was averaging 4 yards per carry and Dionte Johnson and Freiermuth fumbling the ball around.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
The fact he was inserted into the lineup at the last minute and then asked to throw the ball 50 times in a one score game to the likes of Ray Ray McCloud in a cold rain is a tough way to evaluate a guy. Especially when Najee was averaging 4 yards per carry and Dionte Johnson and Freiermuth fumbling the ball around.
Rudolph was basically practicing as the starter and remember Ben had every Wednesday off. He was well prepared for that game.

He threw a ball to Diontae Johnson that looked like how I throw a football, after having ruined my arm from baseball. It was a crossing route where he lead him by about 50 yards; it was just such a floater that it was actually completed.

He had a decent game in the regular season finale at Cleveland last year, but most of his yardage chunks were deep floaters that Claypool and company were hauling it. He can't make all the throws an NFL starter needs to. His arm is made out of cotton candy and wet tissues.

He threw a ball to Diontae Johnson that looked like how I throw a football, after having ruined my arm from baseball. It was a crossing route where he lead him by about 50 yards; it was just such a floater that it was actually completed.

He had a decent game in the regular season finale at Cleveland last year, but most of his yardage chunks were deep floaters that Claypool and company were hauling it. He can't make all the throws an NFL starter needs to.
That game was a mess from just about every aspect. Everyone forgets how Detroit ran all over the Steelers and failed brilliantly any time they got close to the end zone. Terrible field position all day, miserable weather, and a host of backups muddling around, looking lost. Not saying Rudolph didn't throw some bad passes that day but Rudolph was hardly the biggest factor in that loss.

Reactions: FireballZ
That game was a mess from just about every aspect. Everyone forgets how Detroit ran all over the Steelers and failed brilliantly any time they got close to the end zone. Terrible field position all day, miserable weather, and a host of backups muddling around, looking lost. Not saying Rudolph didn't throw some bad passes that day but Rudolph was hardly the biggest factor in that loss.

Didn't he also throw something to Friermuth either at the end of regulation of the end of overtime in the middle of the field with no timeouts when the clock was down to like 30 seconds or something? I just don't think the guys has it. It's not like that was his only game in the NFL. He was once benched in favor of a duck hunter who somehow made the active roster. I've seen enough of him to know he is oblivious to pressure and had no escapability tactics (he just lets d-linemen get right in his face and blow him up), and his arm is weak.

Agree. But it is going to be hard to get anything for him as he is a FA after this season.

Didn't he also throw something to Friermuth either at the end of regulation of the end of overtime in the middle of the field with no timeouts when the clock was down to like 30 seconds or something? I just don't think the guys has it. It's not like that was his only game in the NFL. He was once benched in favor of a duck hunter who somehow made the active roster. I've seen enough of him to know he is oblivious to pressure and had no escapability tactics (he just lets d-linemen get right in his face and blow him up), and his arm is weak.
I'm not about to argue for him as a starter. I just know that using the Detroit game as a proof point isn't worthy of discussion given everything that went down that day.

• Love
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I'm not about to argue for him as a starter. I just know that using the Detroit game as a proof point isn't worthy of discussion given everything that went down that day.
Agree. I think he can be a solid career back up. And I don't mean that as an insult at all. There are only 32 starting QB spots available and he isn't top 32 worthy. But I do think he's top 64. The Steeler QB room is solid right now.

Reactions: pittdan77
Agree. I think he can be a solid career back up. And I don't mean that as an insult at all. There are only 32 starting QB spots available and he isn't top 32 worthy. But I do think he's top 64. The Steeler QB room is solid right now.
Everyone forgets how Charlie Batch did when he was "the guy" and how he managed a damn nice career as a backup. Honestly, being the long-term number two guy on an NFL team has to be the best gig in football. These guys all end up making a decent living and usually end doing well after football.

Reactions: OH Pete
Everyone forgets how Charlie Batch did when he was "the guy" and how he managed a damn nice career as a backup. Honestly, being the long-term number two guy on an NFL team has to be the best gig in football. These guys all end up making a decent living and usually end doing well after football.
Alex Van Pelt made quite a living being a back up in Buffalo. you are right, it's a great gig.

Reactions: pittdan77
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT