ADVERTISEMENT

Ot: I tried telling you guys (steeler QBs)

Some of us said this on the evening of the draft. As much fun as it was that evening for Pitt fans with the whole Pickett thing, it underscored some rather baffling decisions. It opened the team up to criticism for pretty much whatever ends up happening, short of an inexplicable playoff run, because nobody is likely going to be happy regardless of how things go. If it crashes spectacularly, which it well might if Rudolph legitimately wins the job, this time there might not be enough Teflon for the coaches and admin. Well, all but Tomlin, naturally.

But come on, it’s ridiculously early to decide anyone is above anyone else yet. I still figure on Trubisky ending up the starter at the beginning of the season, but then all bets are off from there.
Mitch has a 2 year deal at a below market rate
Mason is going into his last year of his contract
Why is taking the best qb in the draft at 20 remotely baffling ?

This is alway a hysterical notion
Good picks - Colbert
Bad picks - Tomlin
Who actually made the calls ? Rooney
i am hoping Rooney isnt making the calls. i dont know, it's not even at tomlin thing either as it is the HC getting more pull than he should on draft day. I had the same complaints with Cowher fighting for and getting more say over Donahoe back in the 90s..

Best case scenario—
Trubisky continues to struggle
Mason does well.

we ship Mason somewhere for a weekend draft pick and Kenny is our week 1 starter.

the problem is, I don’t want Kenny’s reps to be limited so that they can market Mason. Kenny’s immediate ascension into the lineup is more important to me than a late draft pick.

Best case scenario—
Mason does well.

we ship Mason somewhere for a weekend draft pick and Kenny is our week 1 starter.

the problem is, I don’t want Kenny’s reps to be limited so that they can market Mason. Kenny’s immediate ascension into the lineup is more important to me than a late draft pick.
Kenny's taking 2nd team reps in 11 on 11s. Here we go. Kenny!! Kenny!! Kenny!!

Reactions: pittdan77
It’s because Rudolph wasn’t -
Them pumping up the second 3rd round pick was just to quiet the “give Ben more tools !” Crowd
Nothing more and nothing less
I know Rudolph wasn't and I think it's common sense he wasn't, but Colbert said it and people take him for face value on his comments.

Best case scenario—
Mason does well.

The best case scenario is all three look great. Then you can trade Rudolph this year. Trubisky starts behind the bad OL this year and the Steelers trade him next year when Pickett takes over.

The best case scenario is all three look great. Then you can trade Rudolph this year. Trubisky starts behind the bad OL this year and the Steelers trade him next year when Pickett takes over.
Maybe. But Kenny’s 24 and supposedly NFL ready. I’m impatient.

This is alway a hysterical notion
Good picks - Colbert
Bad picks - Tomlin
Who actually made the calls ? Rooney
Oh no. You can't get away with that. My criticism is with that triumvirate. As a whole. As a team. Not any one over the other. I see way too much reaching for position, and so do you. That is something the Steelers never did under Dan Rooney.

i am hoping Rooney isnt making the calls. i dont know, it's not even at tomlin thing either as it is the HC getting more pull than he should on draft day. I had the same complaints with Cowher fighting for and getting more say over Donahoe back in the 90s..
Who signs the checks ?
Hint ownership makes final decisions
It’s also why the corpse of Ben was on the field every snap the last two seasons

Tyreek is gonna find out what a trash qb actually is, now

Tua has some pretty good numbers considering his 2nd best WR thus far in his career for a lot of games has been Mack Hollins. He's also been playing behind a historically bad OL and had the 32nd most effective run game if you take out Tua's own yardage. If you look at his advanced numbers, he's pretty close to Kirk Cousins who has the advantage of 10 years experience, Justin Jefferson, and a good running game.

I loved what Kenny did last year (emphasis on last year). It took him four years to get to that place, though. He was/is no prodigy. The NFL might not be a complete 180 from college ball but it’s appreciably higher … bigger, faster, harder, more intense. I am the first to say I drastically underestimated him as we went into last season, so maybe I’ll be wrong again regarding his development. I hope so. But I think that he will take some time. Besides, that OL is still going to be bad. The defense isn’t good either. Let Mitch take most of the pounding this season, give KP some reps in blowouts to get some real time experience. If KP is starting and playing in September, we can more than likely assume something went very, very wrong with MT and MR, than the likelihood that KP was crazy-good in the preseason.

That’s a problem. When you have a payroll and cap number like the Steelers have on that side of the ball, you better be a top 5 defense.
The defense has been very good
I’ll go as far as predict top 5 now that a geriatric qb isn’t sucking up all the salary cap
Myles Jack will be the best MLB we’ve had since Shazier got injured

we’ve added veteran help to the Ol and good depth to the defense -
This is frankly the most excited I’ve been for the Steelers in a decade

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Kenny reported by a number of people to have had a pretty good day today. Got to play with the 2s and looked significantly better.

Big difference playing with guys battling for a roster spot opposed to camp bodies. Good to see he had a good day.

Mitch has been horrible getting it in the end zone. Kenny excelled today per the Twitter. Mitch is like o-fer 11 in the 7 shots drill per Steelers blogger.

It won't bother me if Kenny starts the years as #2,< what would bother me is if they make him #3 and he doesn't dress on game day, and Mitch gets hurt and we have to watch Mason stumble around not seeing pass rushers 2 feet in front of him.

Rudolph’s performances the last couple of years were a victim of the stripped down steeler offense. And in the case of the Detroit game, it was the offense, the B teamers all around him, the turnovers by his receivers, and the weather. No one said he’s a superstar, or the guy we want to lead the team, but he’s not what everyone made him out to be.

There's an ancient Chinese proverb out there somewhere about assessing NFL players' abilities based on their performances and stats in preseason games.....

Mason will be gone one way or another.

Regardless, the clip posted earlier shows why many of us were too hard on Ben R in the last couple seasons. That OL has been and remains almost scandalously putrid. Taking RB and TE and QB and WR in the top two rounds the past two seasons was incredibly foolish. Those picks (and major FA signings) needed to be OL (or traded up or down as needed to be put in position to take the better OL). It’s ridiculous to be on year 4 or more where the OL has been this bad. It’s even more clear that BR (and James Conner) were made scapegoats for a far more reaching problem.

why get rid of rudolph for a 6th or 7th rd pick? It makes no sense. Hes a FA in the off season, it was a bad pick, one of many that we've made. with our OL, we may just need our 3rd string QB to play to finish out the season..

why get rid of rudolph for a 6th or 7th rd pick? It makes no sense. Hes a FA in the off season, it was a bad pick, one of many that we've made. with our OL, we may just need our 3rd string QB to play to finish out the season..
Because he won’t be resigned so getting some value is better than no value ?

Because he won’t be resigned so getting some value is better than no value ?
well that's my argument. His value on this team as a 3rd string QB is more than a throw away 7th rd pick. especially with how we draft in the late rounds..

I agree with this, assuming he has been and would expected to be The Good Soldier about all this. He appears rather snarky when asked but otherwise not causing any noticeable waves. I don’t know what kind of stink if any he or his agent have or are making behind the scenes, whether they are asking the Steelers repeatedly to release him rather than an arbitrary trade. If he is willing to stand in sweats with the Microsoft tablet in hand, great. But this team is always saying it wants to avoid “distractions” and “drama”, and disgruntled QB provides much of both of those things, so we’ll see.

I agree with this, assuming he has been and would expected to be The Good Soldier about all this. He appears rather snarky when asked but otherwise not causing any noticeable waves. I don’t know what kind of stink if any he or his agent have or are making behind the scenes, whether they are asking the Steelers repeatedly to release him rather than an arbitrary trade. If he is willing to stand in sweats with the Microsoft tablet in hand, great. But this team is always saying it wants to avoid “distractions” and “drama”, and disgruntled QB provides much of both of those things, so we’ll see.
he comes off as a pretty good "soldier" publicly at least. even his answers when asked about the topic seem very well guarded.. kind of a refreshing change in this day and age with players acting like clowns on social media and thru the media when they arent happy with their current situation.

well that's my argument. His value on this team as a 3rd string QB is more than a throw away 7th rd pick. especially with how we draft in the late rounds..
He’s paid too much to be the emergency qb and will suck up an active roster spot for “just in case” which means we are then short another position for depth during games

let’s be honest - if we are starting a 3rd stringer - the season is lost
They can sign someone off the scrap heap for less

He’s paid too much to be the emergency qb and will suck up an active roster spot for “just in case” which means we are then short another position for depth during games

let’s be honest - if we are starting a 3rd stringer - the season is lost
They can sign someone off the scrap heap for less
There was also some talk on the radio pregame show that the Steelers would move Rudolph as something of a "professional courtesy" for being such a pro through all of this. Send him somewhere he could be a #2. I think it will come down to whether they feel like Trubisky is okay with doing the Charlie Batch and having a long career as the #2 or not.

There was also some talk on the radio pregame show that the Steelers would move Rudolph as something of a "professional courtesy" for being such a pro through all of this. Send him somewhere he could be a #2. I think it will come down to whether they feel like Trubisky is okay with doing the Charlie Batch and having a long career as the #2 or not.
i wouldnt be mad, just dont think they will get the value they think. 4th or 5th then yes but i cant imagine anyone is going to do that. of course what the heck do i know.

i wouldnt be mad, just dont think they will get the value they think. 4th or 5th then yes but i cant imagine anyone is going to do that. of course what the heck do i know.
I get it. They may ultimately choose to hang on to Rudolph. I don't think it's a given they move him but they'd be nuts to not listen to trade offers. A 7th rounder isn't a lock for anything but this Ronbinson kid they picked up a the end of the draft might just be what they need at ILB right now.

You know, as critical as I've been about the 2021 draft, this year's class sure looks like a winner.

Norwood has been fairly decent for a 7th rounder, too. Better to have that than someone hold a clipboard for a year.

Although if there is any hope of this season not being a complete shit show, they better be looking to move more than just Mason Rudolph. See if you can get a tackle for Claypool or something (an OT version of Cole; I'm not suggesting a team would part with a solidified starter for him). At this point, someone who only sucks - as opposed to REALLY sucks - would be a massive upgrade.

Claypool is completely expendable when we're going to end up cutting a WR who will probably make someone's 53-man anyway.

Anyone else wonder why the hell the Steelers picked a QB with their 7th rd pick this year? They have been doing too much "non Steelers" stuff lately.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Anyone else wonder why the hell the Steelers picked a QB with their 7th rd pick this year? They have been doing too much "non Steelers" stuff lately.
i swear they handle the late round picks how i handle the late round picks in my fantasy football drafts every year. Im over it, drunk and after about 3 hours i just let the computer auto pick for me cause i dont care anymore..

pretty sure the steelers do something similar.

Oladokun is pretty toolsy - great arm and ok athleticism - so he's the type of guy you draft, stash, and develop and maybe trade for a 4th round pick in 2-3 years.

I'm not at all qualified to say if taking a QB like that in the 7th is wise or not. Just way too in the weeds for me. I probably would have taken the strongest IOL and hoped for the best.

Oladokun is pretty toolsy - great arm and ok athleticism - so he's the type of guy you draft, stash, and develop and maybe trade for a 4th round pick in 2-3 years.

I'm not at all qualified to say if taking a QB like that in the 7th is wise or not. Just way too in the weeds for me. I probably would have taken the strongest IOL and hoped for the best.

The "Steeler way" is taking a backup QB who probably sucks in the 4th or 5th so I can't really complain about them at least waiting until the 7th this time. PArtially joking, but we did have St. Pierre, Jones, Dixon, Jacobs, Rudolph, Dobbs, etc. taken in that mid-round range - not saying they all sucked.

But yeah - I'd probably test my luck with guys who have great tangibles in the late rounds and see if they can put it together, a la Ike Taylor, at the NFL level. Then again, that's me wanting to hit a home run with every pick. They're probably thinking more in terms of cheap labor, ready to play fairly soon, for backup and special teams duties.

The "Steeler way" is taking a backup QB who probably sucks in the 4th or 5th so I can't really complain about them at least waiting until the 7th this time. PArtially joking, but we did have St. Pierre, Jones, Dixon, Jacobs, Rudolph, Dobbs, etc. taken in that mid-round range - not saying they all sucked.

But yeah - I'd probably test my luck with guys who have great tangibles in the late rounds and see if they can put it together, a la Ike Taylor, at the NFL level. Then again, that's me wanting to hit a home run with every pick. They're probably thinking more in terms of cheap labor, ready to play fairly soon, for backup and special teams duties.
having a backup is a tough balance. you get a really good one and he doesnt play, well you've most likely over spent or over drafted a player for no reason. But then again, if you go the cheap route and your QB goes down, your season is most likely over..

For years, we had a capable backup with Batch, Leftwich, even that dude from dormont. All three could win you a game or two (best case), were relatively cheap and luckily Ben didnt get hurt for too many games where they had to play 5-6 games and would have been exposed..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT