ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Kenny Pickett

gary2

Athletic Director
Jul 21, 2001
Would all his critics that use pure statistics to measure performance, think more of him if Kenny was willing to take the consolation TDs the defense gives you when you fall wayyyyyy behind?

Kenny keeps playing to win. He could easily pad his stats at garbage time. He does not.

And...there has been a lot of garbage time.

Last edited:
Absolutely. The point of the game is to score points and the Steelers haven't.

Absolutely. The point of the game is to score points and the Steelers haven't.
Score points in acompetitive game.

Gutless losers can score at the end of games by dumping down, killing the clock for your opponent and netting that meaningless score.

How many 42-24 games only end up with the 24 because of the above?.

Gutless losers can score at the end of games by dumping down, killing the clock for your opponent and netting that meaningless score.

If a team scoring points at the end of a blowout are "gutless losers" then what's a team that doesn't score points at the end of a blowout?

If a team scoring points at the end of a blowout are "gutless losers" then what's a team that doesn't score points at the end of a blowout?
A team trying to win. As not giving in to your opponents plan.

Kenny almost never pushes the ball downfield. That's been a theme here since Matt Canada took over regardless of the QB. The entire offense is dump offs.

Reactions: Millerton24
Kenny almost never pushes the ball downfield. That's been a theme here since Matt Canada took over regardless of the QB. The entire offense is dump offs.
The interception where Dionte ran the wrong route was a push down field.

The third and 15 throw over the middle was a push down field.

Kenny is not conceding defeat. He is not one to take consolation TDs or statistics.

• Haha
Reactions: 4382
Would all his critics that use pure statistics to measure performance, think more of him if Kenny was willing to take the consolation TDs the defense gives you when you fall wayyyyyy behind?

Kenny keeps playing to win. He could easily pad his stats at garbage time. He does not.

I am not sure I understand your premise here.

In one post you call it garbage time, and another you call it killing the clock instead of trying to overcome an 18 point deficit. Which one is garbage time and which one isn't? Are we talking 10 minutes to go or 2 minutes?

So if you try to score you are not trying to win, and if you don't score you are trying to win.

Yeah, sure.
If you are willing to take six mintutes to score with 7 remaining down 2 scores,you are not really trying to win.

is that hard to understand?

You need to have some appreciation of percentages versus time remaining.

If you are willing to take six mintutes to score with 7 remaining down 2 scores,you are not really trying to win.

is that hard to understand.

No, I get it. You think that if you are down two scores and you have the choice between a long drive that scores a touchdown or a three and out, the three and out is the obvious correct choice because it doesn't use up any clock.

If you are losing and you don't score you can't win. Pretty much by definition. So job one is to actually score. And if your best chance to score is to use a little more clock then that's what you do.

Is that hard to understand?

No, I get it. You think that if you are down two scores and you have the choice between a long drive that scores a touchdown or a three and out, the three and out is the obvious correct choice because it doesn't use up any clock.

If you are losing and you don't score you can't win. Pretty much by definition. So job one is to actually score. And if your best chance to score is to use a little more clock then that's what you do.

You have a better percentage taking a shot at any early score and having time remaning, than relying on recovering a onside kick with next to no time remaining..

making it look close or having a prayer at the end are losing propositions.

You have a better percentage taking a shot at any early score and having time remaning, than relying on recovering a onside kick with next to no time remaining..

You might THINK that, but I don't think that there is any way possible that it's true.

If it was, then when you got to the 50 yard line you should throw four hail Marys, so that you can take four shots at a score as early as possible. Does that sound like a good idea to you?

Did Syracuse have a better chance of winning late yesterday by going slow but sure or taking a big shot?

I am not talking about what did happen, but what gave them the greatest chance.

I think Pickett has made 3 bad passes since he took over.

Against the Jets, the int off Friermuth's hands. Ill advised.

Missing a wide open Friermuth twice in the last game.

Did Syracuse have a better chance of winning late yesterday by going slow but sure or taking a big shot?

I am not talking about what did happen, but what gave them the greatest chance.

Given their quarterback they probably played it about as well as they could have. Their next to last drive that got them the field goal took less than three minutes. On a drive where they took over at their own 15 yard line. And of the seven plays they ran before they kicked the field goal four were incomplete passes and one was a sack. What more do you suppose they could have done?

And that strategy got them the ball back at the end with a chance to tie the game. Of course they also got it at the one yard line because of a once in a season punt. And they got it with only 1:40 left on the clock because their defense gave up a couple first downs before they forced the punt. If your defense isn't going to get you a stop, what difference does it make?

Given their quarterback they probably played it about as well as they could have. Their next to last drive that got them the field goal took less than three minutes. On a drive where they took over at their own 15 yard line. And of the seven plays they ran before they kicked the field goal four were incomplete passes and one was a sack. What more do you suppose they could have done?

And that strategy got them the ball back at the end with a chance to tie the game. Of course they also got it at the one yard line because of a once in a season punt. And they got it with only 1:40 left on the clock because their defense gave up a couple first downs before they forced the punt. If your defense isn't going to get you a stop, what difference does it make?
Your last sentence figures into Pickett's decisions as well.

Your last sentence figures into Pickett's decisions as well.

Sure, but you have to play the game on offense assuming that your defense will get a stop. If you are losing by multiple scores and the defense can't get any stops things are not going to end well for you no matter what the offense does.

Reactions: BFo8

Tampa gets the ball down seven with 5:43 left in the game and goes on a 12 play, methodical drive, with only one play longer than nine yards on the whole drive. And that was a 19 yard completion. And all it got them was a field goal.

And yet somehow they got a stop on defense and drove down again and scored the game winning touchdown. I guess they didn't get the memo that the proper strategy is to bomb the ball down the field in an attempt to get big chunks of yardage as soon as possible.

Silly Bucs.

Tampa gets the ball down seven with 5:43 left in the game and goes on a 12 play, methodical drive, with only one play longer than nine yards on the whole drive. And that was a 19 yard completion. And all it got them was a field goal.

And yet somehow they got a stop on defense and drove down again and scored the game winning touchdown. I guess they didn't get the memo that the proper strategy is to bomb the ball down the field in an attempt to get big chunks of yardage as soon as possible.

Silly Bucs.
And that situation was somewhat similar to Kenny's situation in the Philadelphia game?

I don’t think the Steelers and Pitt are built to go fast right now. They just don’t have the right personnel in players and coaches.

This doesn't make sense? NOT TAKING "consolation" TDs, because he's trying to win? Can you explain it better? He's not getting any TDs at the end of these games? What is a consolation TD anyways?

This doesn't make sense? NOT TAKING "consolation" TDs, because he's trying to win? Can you explain it better? He's not getting any TDs at the end of these games? What is a consolation TD anyways?
You are losing 35-17 with 12:25 left in the 4th Quater. you need at least 3 TDs to win.

You can call plays that realistically give you a chance to accomplish three scores in that time frame or you can concede, take what the defense gives you. Dump,, dump and dump. Do what the defense wants and kill the clock for them, pad your stats and get a meaningless TD maybe even another with zeros on the clock.

if you have watched football, can you tell me this does not happen?

The Buffalo game was another example. Game out of hand. Kenny kept playing (and taking hits), did not concede and take the easy stats.

There is garbage time in football every bit as much as there is in basketball.

I am giving Kenny credit for not participating in garbage time. How is that so had to understand.

Do you value a basketball player that has 4 points all game and gets 8 more at garbage time. I don't.

Last edited:
Reactions: Conemaugh
You are losing 35-17 with 12:25 left in the 4th Quater. you need at least 3 TDs to win.

You can realistic call plays that might give you a chance to accomplish three scores in that time frame or you can concede, Take what the defense gives you. Dump,,dump and dump. do what the defense wants and kill the clock for them Pad your stats and get a meaningless TD maybe even another with zeros on the clock.

if you have watched football, can you tell me this does nothappen?

The Buffalo game was anotherexample. Game out of hand. Kenny kept playing, did concede and take the esay stats.

There is garbage time in football every bit as much as there is in basketball.

I am giving Kenny credit for not participating in garbage time. How is that so had to understand.

Do you value a basketball player that has 4 points all game and gets 8 more at garbage time. I don't.
To be honest, I'd rather drive for a TD to make it 35-24, I have no delusions about winning Super Bowls right now, and getting the 7th seed at 9-8 doesn't excite me, I think I'd prefer he had a better stat line and just build some confidence, and get the haters off his back, if he had like 4 TDs and 6 INTs right now or 5 and 5, the perception of him would be better right now.

Steelers need to be on the phone with Frank Reich right now to bring him in as OC, forget end of season. They are wasting a chance to build for next year with Canada.

Reich made Wentz and Foles look like MVPs (as coordinator... obviously not a great HC).

To be honest, I'd rather drive for a TD to make it 35-24, I have no delusions about winning Super Bowls right now, and getting the 7th seed at 9-8 doesn't excite me, I think I'd prefer he had a better stat line and just build some confidence, and get the haters off his back, if he had like 4 TDs and 6 INTs right now or 5 and 5, the perception of him would be better right now.
Agree., but I don't think that would really indicate a difference in performance, just perception.

That was exactly what my post was all about.

Kenny does not care about perception. Kenny cares about demonstrating dedication, will to win and leadership. This team needs that.

Last edited:
Agree., but I don't think that would really indicate a difference in performance, just perception.

That was exactly what my post was all about.
Even with Ben or Brady, behind 3 TDs in the 4th quarter is still impossible to overcome 90% of the time, not coming from behind when 18 down and 12:25 to go is the norm.

Even with Ben or Brady, behind 3 TDs in the 4th quarter is still impossible to overcome 90% of the time, not coming from behind when 18 down and 12:25 to go is the norm.
Not arguing that a bit

You can call plays that realistically give you a chance to accomplish three scores in that time frame or you can concede, take what the defense gives you. Dump,, dump and dump. Do what the defense wants and kill the clock for them, pad your stats and get a meaningless TD maybe even another with zeros on the clock.

Just like the Bucs yesterday, dump, dump, dump, kick a meaningless field goal with less than two minutes to go in the game just to pad Tom Brady's stats and make the final score look a little better.

Wait a second....

Maybe, just maybe, teams need to do what they can to maximize their chances of scoring. Which sometimes might mean firing off four 50 yard passes in a row. But which typically might mean taking what you can, when you can.

Just seeing the Pickett thread pop up again I thought relevant to note I saw Malik Willis play last night for the first time in my life, and if the Steelers were doing anything but trying to throw off other teams by even remotely rating this guy anywhere in the same hemisphere as Pickett then they are in worse shape than thought. I shudder to think if KP hadn’t become available that the Steelers might actually have considered drafting this guy…in any round.

Reactions: Conemaugh
Just like the Bucs yesterday, dump, dump, dump, kick a meaningless field goal with less than two minutes to go in the game just to pad Tom Brady's stats and make the final score look a little better.

Wait a second....

Maybe, just maybe, teams need to do what they can to maximize their chances of scoring. Which sometimes might mean firing off four 50 yard passes in a row. But which typically might mean taking what you can, when you can.
Keep comparing that games to our Eagle and Bills games.

it is extremely convincing.

This is just such a stretch. At this point, Kenny needs to try to throw a touchdown whenever he can because it simply isn't happening enough.

I am not sure I understand your premise here.

In one post you call it garbage time, and another you call it killing the clock instead of trying to overcome an 18 point deficit. Which one is garbage time and which one isn't? Are we talking 10 minutes to go or 2 minutes?
Garbage time starts early when the Steeler defense gave up the points they did versus the Bills and the Eagles.

What drives me insane is all of the excuses the defense will make for Kenny Pickett. They didn’t give Mason Rudolph any excuse even though he had a worse group of receivers a worst group of running backs and also a piss poor scheme. I actually think Mason played better even with all of the garbage that he was forced play with but Kenny hasn’t done much with better players but no one’s gonna talk about that

That's a good argument when the statistics are terrible.

39 QBs have had 85 drop backs this year.
Picket is dead last in TDs
He is tied for 2nd most INTs
He is dead last in QB rating
He is dead last in Yards per Attempt
He is 30th in Big Time Throws Completed
He is 27th in pressures resulting in sacks
He is 37th in Turnover Worthy Plays when taking less than 2.5 seconds to throw
He is 28th in completion percentage over 20 yards with 27.8%
He has 0 TDs and 5 INTs when throwing more than 20 yards downfield

I mean he's a rookie on a bad offense, so I'm not the least discouraged. But let's not pretend he is playing even mediocre ball.

What drives me insane is all of the excuses the defense will make for Kenny Pickett. They didn’t give Mason Rudolph any excuse even though he had a worse group of receivers a worst group of running backs and also a piss poor scheme. I actually think Mason played better even with all of the garbage that he was forced play with but Kenny hasn’t done much with better players but no one’s gonna talk about that
Kenny has better players? I'm tired of people's delusions that this team has talent? If anything, the talent is worse this year, if you can call it talent :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT