ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Late night “food for thought”…

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
Why doesn’t FBS football split off from traditional conferences altogether and become its own entity?

What I mean by this is that instead of football-driven realignment creating these ridiculous conferences stretching across the country, take the the P5 (or P6, or however many teams you want) and create “conferences” that only exist for football. Perhaps they’re super-conferences that are split up by regional divisions. Then, basketball and the remaining Olympic sports can return to smaller, more regional conferences that save on travel costs. For example, perhaps Pitt is in a football division with Virginia Tech, Clemson, Miami, etc. while other sports are in a northeastern-centric conference (e.g. Penn State, WVU, Syracuse)

Rivalries are renewed and the schools still generate the same amount of revenue.

What say you? What’s the downside to this?

Reactions: TFBaum
Too many people are making too much money and are benefiting from the current arrangement. Why would the B1G take a potential revenue cut so that Penn State can hang out with Pitt or WVU? Maybe the math makes your idea better someday but right now, there are too many reasons to leave it alone.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
non revenue / olympic sports competing in these conferences made for football/hoops makes zero sense.. i understand why you do it for mens basketball and football but again, let the other sports play more regional conference alignments..

Too many people are making too much money and are benefiting from the current arrangement. Why would the B1G take a potential revenue cut so that Penn State can hang out with Pitt or WVU? Maybe the math makes your idea better someday but right now, there are too many reasons to leave it alone.
non revenue / olympic sports competing in these conferences made for football/hoops makes zero sense.. i understand why you do it for mens basketball and football but again, let the other sports play more regional conference alignments..
To Dan’s point, my assumption is that if FBS football were to become its own entity, they’d have the chance to make more more than they currently do just from the “super league” media rights deals. Then, they’d essentially be double dipping with the revenue distribution from more regionalized basketball/Olympic sports conferences while reducing costs.

If that wouldn’t be the case, than it would likely make more sense for these schools to stick with the current system’s gravy train.

To Dan’s point, my assumption is that if FBS football were to become its own entity, they’d have the chance to make more more than they currently do just from the “super league” media rights deals. Then, they’d essentially be double dipping with the revenue distribution from more regionalized basketball/Olympic sports conferences while reducing costs.

If that wouldn’t be the case, than it would likely make more sense for these schools to stick with the current system’s gravy train.
The other issue in college football is that a regional power wouldn't want any kind of changes that forces them into a more difficult situation. The tendency would be to break up more powerful conferences so that dominant schools could remain that way. Puts Clemson in a tough spot.

This would be a tough one. Not sure how you create a product that TV wants to pay more money for unless you can somehow provide for more competitive games each week. Maybe some sort of relegation system?

The Pitt PSU game sells in NYC that is the money. If Pitt invests in football that game makes Alabama versus anyone look like a joke. I spend a lot of time in Manhattan and they relate to Pitt and PSU

I've said that before, sports like soccer and volleyball that make zero money, they should be in conferences where you can ride a bus to the games.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
The Pitt PSU game sells in NYC that is the money. If Pitt invests in football that game makes Alabama versus anyone look like a joke. I spend a lot of time in Manhattan and they relate to Pitt and PSU
I don't disagree. It would be a big risk for PSU to move out of the B1G, though. Would take a pretty big change to get schools to move away from the current model.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT