ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Lot 2, Lot 4 on chopping block

TIGER-PAUL

Athletic Director
Jan 14, 2005
https://www.post-gazette.com/busine...-two-North-Shore-parking/stories/201908060049
A comprehensive deal is in the works to develop the last two large tracts of land on the North Shore between Heinz Field and PNC Park, including one that Mayor Bill Peduto had accused the Steelers of using as “an ATM” to park cars.

The new agreement would involve Gold Lot 4 next to the Hyatt Place hotel and Gold Lot 2, located at the corner of West General Robinson Street and Chuck Noll Way directly behind the North Shore Place I and II office complex.

“The city and stadium authority are working cooperatively with the Pirates and Steelers on a comprehensive agreement on the remaining parcels on the North Shore,” said Dan Gilman, Mr. Peduto’s chief of staff.

“While final details are being negotiated, all parties are working well together to wrap this up and get shovels in the ground.”
As part of the deal, Continental Real Estate Companies is expected to get more time to start work on Lot 4, where it is planning a condominium, office and retail project, said Barry Ford, the firm’s president of development in Pittsburgh.

Columbus, Ohio-based Continental, which was hired by the Steelers and the Pirates to develop the land between the two sports venues, currently has until Aug. 30 to “take down” or buy the stadium authority-owned Lot 4 near PNC Park.

But Mr. Ford said he is expecting that deadline to be extended, as Continental finalizes its plans for the development.

And in an interview last week, Mr. Peduto said the Steelers (and Continental) would be granted an extension to develop Lot 2 for housing while being given a firm deadline to do so.

If the team does not develop by the fixed date, the land would revert back to the stadium authority, which would be free to hire a new developer to take on a project, he said.

“I think we’re in an agreement,” the mayor said. “It will be a combination between giving them an extension for it, but at that time when the extension ends, it will turn back over to us and we get a new developer.”

Two months ago, Mr. Peduto charged that the Steelers were refusing to develop the 200-space parking lot because the team wanted to use it “for eight days a year for the purpose of tailgating.”

The lot, owned by the stadium authority, is leased to Alco Parking.

For Steelers games, Alco gets half the revenue and the authority gets the other half, with that portion going directly to the football team. The same arrangement applies for Pirates games, with the baseball team getting the authority’s share of the revenue.

Mr. Peduto said the city is requiring the teams and Continental to develop Lot 2 for housing, which has become a priority for the mayor for the North Shore. Mr. Ford declined to confirm that, saying “I’m not ready to go there.”

Under their current agreement with the stadium authority, the Steelers and the Pirates have the development rights to Lot 2 until May 2021.

Parcels not developed by then typically would revert back to the stadium authority unless extensions were granted. But Mr. Peduto seemed to suggest that any new extension would be the last on that parcel for the teams.

The priority at the moment, Mr. Ford said, is Lot 4. He added the goal is to get an agreement for its development signed with the city within the next couple of weeks.

“We’re moving forward in good faith and started the planning process for Lot 4, and everyone loves it,” he said.

Continental is planning a multistory building, perhaps as many as eight stories, with up to 40 or so condos at the top and offices and retail below the residential.

Part of the proposed development, Mr. Ford has said, also would include a “really cool entertainment and retail piece” near the home plate entrance to PNC Park.

Development likely won’t start until well into the fall or the end of the year, Mr. Ford said, thus the need for another extension, the third that would be given by the stadium authority for Lot 4.

The Steelers declined comment, referring questions to Mr. Ford.

Development of Lots 4 and 2 likely would require additional structured parking on the North Shore, although it is unclear at this point who would pay for it or where it would be.

Lot 2 is located directly behind the Burgatory, Bar Louie, Southern Tier, and Tequila Cowboy restaurants. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette newsroom is located in the North Shore Place I and II complex.

Rooney against peduto. I’m on Rooney’s side. Long live lot 2. No to condos, cookie cutter chain sports bars and office buildings.

Yeah, I know their dream is to have another "Wrigleyville", but Wrigleyville happened mostly organically, without chains, and doesn't have a football stadium, where football lends itself to tailgating.

I will be honest, if I am not tailgating with friends, going to football games have little appeal to me. I am 50 for one thing, I don't mind going to bars, but I don't need all of this loud music pulsating that I can't talk to friends if they want to replace tailgating for the almighty commercial dollar.

Yeah, I know their dream is to have another "Wrigleyville", but Wrigleyville happened mostly organically, without chains, and doesn't have a football stadium, where football lends itself to tailgating.

I will be honest, if I am not tailgating with friends, going to football games have little appeal to me. I am 50 for one thing, I don't mind going to bars, but I don't need all of this loud music pulsating that I can't talk to friends if they want to replace tailgating for the almighty commercial dollar.
My neighbors, Ticket holders for decades for steelers, feel exact same way. If and when tailgating goes away he’s given up season tix. I think there’s a lot of people like that in our age group.

Last edited:
Rooney against peduto. I’m on Rooney’s side. Long live lot 2. No to condos, cookie cutter chain sports bars and office buildings.

I'm on anyones side who opposes that loser Peduto.

Pittsburgh needs a balance. What's good for Pittsburgh sports is good from Pittsburgh!

Plenty of room for condo's and office buildings outside the sports area.

There are plenty of bars on the Northshore so I think they have this covered.

Mrs Buffett and I try to get to all of them and its not easy!

I thought Stage AE was unnecessary and a bad idea, but that is a great addition to that area and the Pittsburgh music scene overall.

Almost every other place in the North Shore sucks though. I had high hopes for Rocky Patel's Burn but the bar is awful.

Who the f wants another Wrigleyville? Wrigleyville is trash.

Who the f wants another Wrigleyville? Wrigleyville is trash.
I love the surrounding area of wrigley. Old yankee stadium was like that. Drink beer at a bar right across street from stadium. No parking lots.

Newer stadiums (relatively speaking) try and manufacture it. Camden yards, pnc, colors field with chain bars but wrigley was just old fashioned smack dab in middle of neighborhood. I love that.

Nothing is worse than dodger stadium. Nice stadium but on a mountain surrounded by nothing but sea of-concrete.

I thought Stage AE was unnecessary and a bad idea, but that is a great addition to that area and the Pittsburgh music scene overall.

Stage AE fits the need for a venue of that size that there really isn't a good alternative for in Pittsburgh.

Another chain bar or restaurant on the North Side doesn't fit any need at all.

Stage AE fits the need for a venue of that size that there really isn't a good alternative for in Pittsburgh.

Another chain bar or restaurant on the North Side doesn't fit any need at all.
Not even any cool bars up on western ave either. Same old cookie cutter chain garbage. Bar Louie molds. Boring as balls.

Christ, I’d take the old 222 back if I could or mama Rosas. Dive bars but they at least had character.

Save Lot 2 !!! It's where we tailgate!!! #Pittfamily4life
I seriously read article awhile back. Rooney’s are fighting hard to keep that lot as parking . Peduto is pissed cause they hired company to develop land and think Rooney’s are back pedaling.

Reactions: Tomster6758
I love the surrounding area of wrigley. Old yankee stadium was like that. Drink beer at a bar right across street from stadium. No parking lots.

Newer stadiums (relatively speaking) try and manufacture it. Camden yards, pnc, colors field with chain bars but wrigley was just old fashioned smack dab in middle of neighborhood. I love that.

Nothing is worse than dodger stadium. Nice stadium but on a mountain surrounded by nothing but sea of-concrete.

It’s a... fine place to visit if you come to Chicago for a game/vacation. It’s less stellar if you are a resident older than 25.

If only those people had known that there was going to be a ballpark there before they moved in!

I meant city residents. But hey! Wrigleyville is cool for 20-something’s. If it’s your favorite neighborhood after you turn 30 you have problems.

Not even any cool bars up on western ave either. Same old cookie cutter chain garbage. Bar Louie molds. Boring as balls.

Christ, I’d take the old 222 back if I could or mama Rosas. Dive bars but they at least had character.

Western Ave?!? What is cookie cutter there? 412 Brewing, Biers Pub, Modern, Lindo’s. Peppi’s is the only place even close to a chain.

Reactions: clarks4life
If the city wants no tailgating then the next stadium should be out of the city, there is plenty of room for a view of the PA countryside in just about any direction, correct?

E
Western Ave?!? What is cookie cutter there? 412 Brewing, Biers Pub, Modern, Lindo’s. Peppi’s is the only place even close to a chain.
i was referring to north shore but am actively, passionately looking for a cool bar on western ave.

U have to excuse my frustration. I drove by this bar (what I thought was a bar) on western ave for months, envisioned this cool ass bar, dark wood, ambiatic (made up word) bar with great draft beers.

I finally make it there and it’s terrible bar with 2 iPas that is more of a take out sandwich spot. What wa frustrating is they have the perfect facility and space for a cool bar. Words can’t describe my letdown with this place.

Biers pub my ass, biers sandwich shop and the server will get u a draft iPa while you wait. No pub at all. Hence my frustration with the whole north side/shore.

Last edited:
This land between the stadiums has always been slated for development, and has been used for surface parking only until development deals could materialize. It has nothing to do with what the Rooney's or the mayor want, it has to do with the agreements that were made when the stadiums were built. Same with the former Civic Arena site and the Pens - they entered into an agreement to develop the land and have no choice but to do so or relinquish it. Surface parking is the worst use for land like this in the middle of the city.

This land between the stadiums has always been slated for development, and has been used for surface parking only until development deals could materialize. It has nothing to do with what the Rooney's or the mayor want, it has to do with the agreements that were made when the stadiums were built. Same with the former Civic Arena site and the Pens - they entered into an agreement to develop the land and have no choice but to do so or relinquish it. Surface parking is the worst use for land like this in the middle of the city.
Rooney’s disagree and are fighting it. Mayor and city are upset. I stand with Rooney’s who are actively fighting the alleged agreement to develop this land into boring ass condos.

You can’t be more wrong if you tried. You literally are a 100 % wrong with your statement that it has nothing to do with Rooney’s and city.

Join the good side or we will lose another lot in north shore to an sap Corp building with a chain bar on ground floor offering $7 draft blue moon and lemonade Chandy specials.

https://patch.com/pennsylvania/pitt...rgh-mayor-feuding-over-north-shore-lot-report

Last edited:
Reactions: Tomster6758
Rooney’s disagree and are fighting it. Mayor and city are upset. I stand with Rooney’s who are actively fighting the alleged agreement to develop this land into boring ass condos.

You can’t be more wrong if you tried. You literally are a 100 % wrong with your statement that it has nothing to do with Rooney’s and city.

Join the good side or we will lose another lot in north shore to an sap Corp building with a chain bar on ground floor offering $7 draft blue moon and lemonade Chandy specials.

https://patch.com/pennsylvania/pitt...rgh-mayor-feuding-over-north-shore-lot-report
Rooney is looking for a percentage.

If Rooney wants the lot they should open their. Substantial wallets and purchase the land.

Don’t be a sucker-
They are grifters who love making money off of public funds

Rooney is looking for a percentage.

If Rooney wants the lot they should open their. Substantial wallets and purchase the land.

Don’t be a sucker-
They are grifters who love making money off of public funds
Yeah, no kidding.

I don’t think Rooney’s are fighting the city so me, you and recruits can pay 20 bucks for a pass so we can drink miller lites cans that we bought from a distributor and brought with us while we play cornhole and eat hot dogs for 5 hours pre game.

Last edited:
Yeah, no kidding.

I don’t think Rooney’s are fighting the city so me, you and recruits can pay 20 bucks for a pass so we can drink miller lites cans that we bought from a distributor and brought with us while we play cornhole and eat hot dogs for 5 hours per game.
If you’re waisting calories on that swill-
I’ll drink in my car.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
It’s a... fine place to visit if you come to Chicago for a game/vacation. It’s less stellar if you are a resident older than 25.
Hey Ski, guess what I visited Wrigley as? A visitor. So...yeah. I am not advocating it, I am just saying the North Shore doesn't play well because Wrigleyville also doesn't have a football stadium.

The agreement is not "alleged," the Stadium Authority owns the land and the Steelers/Pirates have development rights over the land until May 2021. If the land is not developed, then it reverts back to the Authority and they can seek another developer. Whether you like condos or not, they are a higher use of land than surface parking, and any planner will tell you that.

The agreement is not "alleged," the Stadium Authority owns the land and the Steelers/Pirates have development rights over the land until May 2021. If the land is not developed, then it reverts back to the Authority and they can seek another developer. Whether you like condos or not, they are a higher use of land than surface parking, and any planner will tell you that.
So u are telling me condos get more tax revenue then concrete? Gee, thanks for that. I thought city raked in cash at three Rivers while me and my high school friends drank 40 beers before a Steeler game that we bought in south Hills the night before.

Who ever would have guessed they made more money from corporate office buildings and condos than they would have by having people drink beer from their trunks in a parking lot 8 times a year in the fall.

Next crazy thing you’ll tell us is the city is better off having open real estate in Oakland go to highest bidder over the university of Pittsburgh who is tax exempt.

Last edited:
So u are telling me condos get more tax revenue then concrete? Gee, thanks for that. I thought city raked in cash at three Rivers while me and my high school friends drank 40 beers before a Steeler game that we bought in south Hills the night before.

Who ever would have guessed they made more money from corporate office buildings and condos than they would have by having people drink beer from their trunks in a parking lot 8 times a year in the fall.

Next crazy thing you’ll tell us is the city is better off having open real estate in Oakland go to highest bidder over the university of Pittsburgh who is tax exempt.
And your point is . . .? You are the one who is arguing for a parking lot instead of condos.

My neighbors, Ticket holders for decades for steelers, feel exact same way. If and when tailgating goes away he’s given up season tix. I think there’s a lot of people like that in our age group.
Oh no, where will they find people to replace them for season tickets? Maybe one of the 100,000+ that are on the waiting list.

The older and more affluent I get, the dumber it sounds to stand around in a parking lot drinking cheap beer and/or shitty booze, baking in the sun or freezing in the cold depending on the time of year. Give me a nice bar to pre-game all day any day.

Reactions: clarks4life
The older and more affluent I get, the dumber it sounds to stand around in a parking lot drinking cheap beer and/or shitty booze, baking in the sun or freezing in the cold depending on the time of year. Give me a nice bar to pre-game all day any day.
You’d rather drink at Bettis bar and grille or the 5 bar louie’s In north shore then tailgate??

Well you are def in the right city. Btw, you can buy expensive beer and booze too. That same beer or you buy from a bartender, you can buy that yourself at a distributor.

Last edited:
Where will those people park? Who wants to live in condos surrounded by tailgaters and porta johns.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT