ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Marte and the Pirates

Marte is the second best Pirate of the 2010s. He gets flack because he has never really improved since his second year. He has been a very good player from 2013-2019, with the exception of getting suspended. After starting off so well, people thought he would develop into a great player. Just hasn't happened. Also makes some really dumb decisions.

Marte is the second best Pirate of the 2010s. He gets flack because he has never really improved since his second year. He has been a very good player from 2013-2019, with the exception of getting suspended. After starting off so well, people thought he would develop into a great player. Just hasn't happened. Also makes some really dumb decisions.
At least this year he hasn’t spent half the year in the whirlpool like he did the previous couple of years, Agree that he and most of the team have low BB IQs and are flawed when it comes to fundamentals like base running.

It begins and ends with Nutsack! As long as he is there, and has his puppeteers perpetrating his cheapskate act, baseball in this town is dead. It doesn't matter if you tear it all down, when they build it back up, you still get a Nutsack special, otherwise known as a shitshow. There is zero hope until this franchise is in the hands of another owner. I feel bad for Pittsburgh and any lifelong Pirate fan, but, honestly I don't give a damn if they moved the Pirates out of town starting today. I can't and won't waste anymore of my money or time on the shitshow!
Yeah, sure it does. But that ain't changing. So.....

At least this year he hasn’t spent half the year in the whirlpool like he did the previous couple of years, Agree that he and most of the team have low BB IQs and are flawed when it comes to fundamentals like base running.
Yep! The basic lack of fundamentals drives me up a wall. I wonder, at times, if I’m being too old school. But come on, it all seems to be common repetitive baseball instincts. scratching head

Yep! The basic lack of fundamentals drives me up a wall. I wonder, at times, if I’m being too old school. But come on, it all seems to be common repetitive baseball instincts. scratching head
Call it old school if you want, but after watching Marte and Polanco make bonehead play after bonehead play in the outfield when they both became starters a few years ago, I gave up any hope of winning a championship.

Call it old school if you want, but after watching Marte and Polanco make bonehead play after bonehead play in the outfield when they both became starters a few years ago, I gave up any hope of winning a championship.
Pirates new logo unveiled! Sign over entrance to PNC Park.
u-g-F59CJT0.jpg

I'm stunned that the Brewers would want him. They've actually seen him pitch. Must have needed him for batting practice.

They will make him a reliever like he was in the past and will be successful. Really something I want to see when Chad Kuhl returns next year.

I was a big believer in the approach the front office took when it came to shifts and ground balls but their inability to pivot after the league changed will be what sinks Huntington, Hurdle and Searage.

If they had any balls they would do a full rebuild and send off Felipe, Liriano, Marte, Cabrera, Moran, Dickerson, Kela and Josh Bell.

How does it feel to be a Pittsburgh Pirate since the All-Star break? Probably something like this:

Reactions: PittPoker
I saw this article on Shane Baz, the former Pirate prospect and 1st round pick that was in that Archer fail. He doesn't intend to bash the Pirates development, but this isn't pretty. I've said it before, the Pirates biggest shortcoming isn't not spending on players, it is not developing enough of them.

> "Almost immediately, the Rays were more -- I don't want to talk bad about the Pirates -- just completely different honestly," Baz said. "It was a whole new perspective, a new approach to pitching."

> Tampa Bay told him to scrap worrying about being too fine with his pitches. Rely on the stuff that got him this far.

> "I saw pretty quickly that I would be big in spin rate and that stuff," Baz said. "They told me my fastball would have the top spin rate in the Majors, if I was pitching there right now. I don't have to be right at the knees every time because the movement is going to be so good, guys aren't going to hit the fastball anyway.

> "We didn't have anything in Bristol," Baz said. "I hadn't even been introduced to this stuff. Now with the Rays, I know how to interpret it and know where I need to be. If one pitch is different, I know how to fix it. I try not to rely on it too much, but it proves to be right every single time. You can't knock that."

Buccos give away Dickerson for essentially nothing....another great move by the GM

A pending UFA that has been injured much of the year I guess it isn't surprising. But for a gold glove winner that has hit when he's played, it looks like Philly stole him. Hopefully the PTBNL is based upon how Dickerson performs down the stretch and can end up being a useful piece.

A pending UFA that has been injured much of the year I guess it isn't surprising. But for a gold glove winner that has hit when he's played, it looks like Philly stole him. Hopefully the PTBNL is based upon how Dickerson performs down the stretch and can end up being a useful piece.
Interesting thing is that they could make the deal they did at any time, including after the season, yet at the point in time when they had the most leverage(the trade deadline) they still just gave him away

Interesting thing is that they could make the deal they did at any time, including after the season, yet at the point in time when they had the most leverage(the trade deadline) they still just gave him away

Well, his contract was up at the end of the season and with the elimination of waiver deals, that was their last chance to trade him, so they really didn't have leverage. I'm actually more surprised that they couldn't get something for Melky as a guy hitting .300 with post season experience on a peanuts contract.

Josh Bell's tale of two halves...

1ST (88): .302 / 27 HR / 84 RBI / 0.376 OBP / 0.648 SLG / 1.024 OPS
2ND (18): .180 / 0 HR / 4 RBI / 0.296 OBP / 0.246 SLG / 0.542 OPS

Josh Bell's tale of two halves...

1ST (88): .302 / 27 HR / 84 RBI / 0.376 OBP / 0.648 SLG / 1.024 OPS
2ND (18): .180 / 0 HR / 4 RBI / 0.296 OBP / 0.246 SLG / 0.542 OPS
It reminds me of a season that Neal Heaton won like 17 games in the first half of the season but finished with 19 (or such).

Bell is a better player than Heaton was a pitcher. But let's not be too shocked though, Bell has a bunch of holes in his swing. It shouldn't have been expected he'd retain that pace. And the guys batting around him, yecccchh. He should never ever see a good pitch.

I saw this article on Shane Baz, the former Pirate prospect and 1st round pick that was in that Archer fail. He doesn't intend to bash the Pirates development, but this isn't pretty. I've said it before, the Pirates biggest shortcoming isn't not spending on players, it is not developing enough of them.

> "Almost immediately, the Rays were more -- I don't want to talk bad about the Pirates -- just completely different honestly," Baz said. "It was a whole new perspective, a new approach to pitching."

> Tampa Bay told him to scrap worrying about being too fine with his pitches. Rely on the stuff that got him this far.

> "I saw pretty quickly that I would be big in spin rate and that stuff," Baz said. "They told me my fastball would have the top spin rate in the Majors, if I was pitching there right now. I don't have to be right at the knees every time because the movement is going to be so good, guys aren't going to hit the fastball anyway.

> "We didn't have anything in Bristol," Baz said. "I hadn't even been introduced to this stuff. Now with the Rays, I know how to interpret it and know where I need to be. If one pitch is different, I know how to fix it. I try not to rely on it too much, but it proves to be right every single time. You can't knock that."
Thanks for the post! Perhaps there is a lot to this. like Lyles pitched a winner for Milwaukee Wednesday night.

It reminds me of a season that Neal Heaton won like 17 games in the first half of the season but finished with 19 (or such).

Bell is a better player than Heaton was a pitcher. But let's not be too shocked though, Bell has a bunch of holes in his swing. It shouldn't have been expected he'd retain that pace. And the guys batting around him, yecccchh. He should never ever see a good pitch.

Should have stayed away from the HR derby . . .

supposedly some real trouble within the Parts clubhouse. Pitchers fighting w coaches and appears Hurdle has lost everyone

supposedly some real trouble within the Parts clubhouse. Pitchers fighting w coaches and appears Hurdle has lost everyone
Do you know who specifically was fighting among the players and coaches? Too bad someone didn’t take out Nutting.

Do you know who specifically was fighting among the players and coaches? Too bad someone didn’t take out Nutting.
Kela of course, and supposedly Crick got close to blows with bullpen coach because he thought Vasquez was getting preferential treatment. LOL

Start pitching like Vasquez and he'd probably get treated better too!

Supposedly Hurdle tried to break it up and Kela told him where to stuff it!

Head cases all around. Hurdle pissed because it interrupted his nap!

Corey Dickerson update: In 10 games with the Phillies he is hitting .324 with 3HRs, a double, a triple and 10 RBIs.

He's also got that odd ball thing going where his batting average is higher than his on base percentage. Usually you only see pitchers with lots of sacrifice bunts doing something like that. But it is only 34 at bats, so it will probably go back to normal before too long.

More power to him! We weren't"t going to sign him anyway given Nuthings proclivity to not pay.

Another month and a half of this clown show??
Someone proposed a mercy rule for MLB. How about a mercy rule for Pirates fans?
Cancel the rest of the season. They're just phoning it in anyway.

Can't wait to see all the MLB ready youngsters auditioning during September call ups.......
Oh, wait...................................

Reactions: vietvet1
Another month and a half of this clown show??
Someone proposed a mercy rule for MLB. How about a mercy rule for Pirates fans?
Cancel the rest of the season. They're just phoning it in anyway.

Can't wait to see all the MLB ready youngsters auditioning during September call ups.......
Oh, wait...................................

I'm loving these drubbings. They're the only chance we have at seeing some change. As of this past weekend, Neal Huntington said something to the effect of, "We ran a 1,000 simulations, and only eight times does a .500 team go 8-24 [or whatever our record since the All-Star Break was at the time]."

That's unbelievably stupid to me. You're assuming that you have a .500 team - presumably because that is how played before the break. Well, who's to say that is not the aberration, and what's occurred since is true reality? One may be a larger sample size, but not for long.

And even if you do think you have a .500 team, then admit that's what you have. Don't spin us some BS story about being competitive. .500 teams compete for absolutely nothing.

You've lost your magic, Neal. You can no longer assemble a solid bullpen on the fly. You're no longer above the grade when it comes to signing reclamation projects at pitcher. And your farm system has very that fans can look forward to in the near future. Your arrogance, however, has not waned. We'll hear about injuries and a few bad breaks this offseason that should be righted by the tweaks we made. Give me a break, man; even your most loyal sheep aren't buying it anymore. Blow this thing up, and build a real baseball team.

He's a sabermetric dunce.
Can spin numbers like a top and tell you what lurks just below the surface and why you're too stupid to see it, in a polite way. Explains very matter of factly that the turd you see is really a diamond in the rough.

By now, no one is listening to him, not even the players. The people who go are in some kind of field of dreams coma.

Dollar dogs, bobble heads and fireworks pretty much sums up baseball in Pittsburgh.

Football season is officially here. The only thing of consequence the Pirates do from here on out is screw up the start times for our early season games.

Thanks Nutting!!!

He's a sabermetric dunce.
Can spin numbers like a top and tell you what lurks just below the surface and why you're too stupid to see it, in a polite way. Explains very matter of factly that the turd you see is really a diamond in the rough.

By now, no one is listening to him, not even the players. The people who go are in some kind of field of dreams coma.

Dollar dogs, bobble heads and fireworks pretty much sums up baseball in Pittsburgh.

Football season is officially here. The only thing of consequence the Pirates do from here on out is screw up the start times for our early season games.

Thanks Nutting!!!
Tuned in last night and the score was 8 to 0 in the second inning. Even for us die hard baseball loving fans this is farcical, to say the least. The players have, in my opinion, packed it in. Who really can blame them...I can"t.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
I'm loving these drubbings. They're the only chance we have at seeing some change. As of this past weekend, Neal Huntington said something to the effect of, "We ran a 1,000 simulations, and only eight times does a .500 team go 8-24 [or whatever our record since the All-Star Break was at the time]."

That's unbelievably stupid to me. You're assuming that you have a .500 team - presumably because that is how played before the break. Well, who's to say that is not the aberration, and what's occurred since is true reality? One may be a larger sample size, but not for long.

And even if you do think you have a .500 team, then admit that's what you have. Don't spin us some BS story about being competitive. .500 teams compete for absolutely nothing.

You've lost your magic, Neal. You can no longer assemble a solid bullpen on the fly. You're no longer above the grade when it comes to signing reclamation projects at pitcher. And your farm system has very that fans can look forward to in the near future. Your arrogance, however, has not waned. We'll hear about injuries and a few bad breaks this offseason that should be righted by the tweaks we made. Give me a break, man; even your most loyal sheep aren't buying it anymore. Blow this thing up, and build a real baseball team.

I'm rooting for them to go 0-162 for several years and for Nutting to move them to Seattle or Vegas. Then we can get an actual owner who cares about them and is trying to win. Seriously, I'm loving these posts of Pirates failure. Burn it all down and start over.

Reactions: RingDinger
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT