ADVERTISEMENT

OT Midway Movie

How about the original Midway movie being filmed and then shown in “Sensurround”! (spelling?)

The movie Earthquake was also filmed in Sensurround.

Wasn’t Towering Inferno also?
According to Wikipedia, looks like it was these two plus Rollercoaster and Battlestar Gallactica.
The “Master of Disaster”, Irwin Allen, produced Earthquake and Towering Inferno. Poseidon Adventure too. Always had great casts.

The funny thing about that original Midway movie was how it was shot. All of the aircraft carrier scenes were filmed on a museum ship. This led to some out-of-timeline scenes....Nimitz (Fonda) walking off the deck-edge elevator onto the Pier (WW2 carriers had their main elevators in the middle of the flight deck). Most of the aerial combat was war footage...the plan crashing on the deck was a Hellcat, it came out a year after the battle. The 'bombing of Midway' was filmed on a beach outside of L.A. A lot of other footage was 'borrowed' from Tora Tora Tora! shot a few years earlier.

Clearly most of the budget was spent on obtaining an all-star cast.

The funny thing about that original Midway movie was how it was shot. All of the aircraft carrier scenes were filmed on a museum ship. This led to some out-of-timeline scenes....Nimitz (Fonda) walking off the deck-edge elevator onto the Pier (WW2 carriers had their main elevators in the middle of the flight deck). Most of the aerial combat was war footage...the plan crashing on the deck was a Hellcat, it came out a year after the battle. The 'bombing of Midway' was filmed on a beach outside of L.A. A lot of other footage was 'borrowed' from Tora Tora Tora! shot a few years earlier.

Clearly most of the budget was spent on obtaining an all-star cast.
Yet it was historically more accurate equipment and settings than alot of it's similar war flicks. Both Patton and Battle of the Bulge used American Patton tanks to represent German panzers. At the end of Battle of the Bulge when the Germans ran of of fuel and supposedly marched from wintery Belgium back to Germany, it showed them marching thru the arid Texas landscape of Fort Hood.

Probably the worst movie I have ever watch depicting an historical event. It was a three day battle. The whole movie is a joke.
Do you have the Pitt stadium replica in your avatar picture? I have one....They are dust magnets.Right now it looks like Pitt stadium was hit with one of those old west dust storms.Got to get her cleaned up.

Do you have the Pitt stadium replica in your avatar picture? I have one....They are dust magnets.Right now it looks like Pitt stadium was hit with one of those old west dust storms.Got to get her cleaned up.
I do. It is replica of it. I can’t get the picture to rotate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT