ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Most Important Hit in 1960 World Series....not Maz

CJsE

Junior
Mar 5, 2016
Pretty interesting channel, has a lot of videos on Pirates (usually not in a good way).

Reactions: bwh05
Sure. But if Maz doesn't hit the GW HR and the Yanks score the next inning and win, does it matter?
But you also have to look at it as what is more likely to happen. A team scoring 1 run over the course of an inning or scoring 3 runs with 2 outs and 2 strikes?

Either way, both plays were amazing and can be argued either way. I just thought the video was an interesting take as someone who was born decades after the event and never even heard of Hal Smith or that this home run.

Really? Wow. I didn't know that. Honestly I didn't. It did amaze me that a 10-9 Game 7, winner take all, game was played in slightly over 2 and half hours (2:36) and the average time for a baseball game, any MLB game is over 3 hours now.
That’s why basebore is so booooooooooooooooooooooooooooring.

As a data scientist I cannot stand Bill Taylor. Maz hoe run won the series. If you are predicting the next series okay. But it is a defined event that had no further observations.

If you watch the Maz at bat you’ll see that the first pitch was high and slightly out of the strike zone. The Yankees catcher came out to visit Terry after that first pitch! I have always wondered if the catcher told Terry to keep the ball down since Maz was a high fastball hitter (and had homered previously in the Series). Unusual to come out after the first pitch to a good, not great hitter.
The next pitch was also high but low enough to be letter high.
Voila!

Reactions: HOF Coach
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT