ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New Post-Gazette PSU Beat Reporter

Pitt_Boss

Freshman
Dec 15, 2008
I know we don't like to give them clicks, but read this puff piece:

Not only does the PG hire a lifelong PSU fan boy to cover PSU athletics, they let him write a puff piece talking about the life-changing glory of PSU football and how important it is to him. Yeah, I'm sure we are going to see some real crack journalism from this guy.

Not only does the PG hire a lifelong PSU fan boy to cover PSU athletics, they let him write a puff piece talking about the life-changing glory of PSU football and how important it is to him. Yeah, I'm sure we are going to see some real crack journalism from this guy.
Hopefully he reports on their recent cover-up of a potential gang rape.

Without reading this trash, what years was he at Enabler U?

Without reading this trash, what years was he at Enabler U?
I don't think even went to Penn State as much as he grew up there with Nitter parents. So he might even be a branch campus dummy.

But yeah, read that and was going to post that. Actually I think Johnny McGonigle does a good job covering Pitt and has openly been contentious with Ron Cook on some appearances on the Fan, defending Pitt.

But yeah, there it is in a nutshell. The local media covering Penn State are PSU cheerleaders.

Perhaps this is a question for Paco, but why does Pitt not have their own journalism school? I understand there’s an equivalent media communications degree that falls under general studies, but sometimes I wonder if Pitt would produce more journalists if there was one. Theoretically, this could lead to a bigger “Pitt presence” in the local media.

Wow, I had no idea the Post Gazette was still in business.
Imagine a newspaper without the paper part.
It's more like a blog now than a legitimate newspaper.

I recently visited my parents who of course still get a print subscription and saw it on their coffee table. Asked how often it is delivered and they said Thursday and Saturday. What a joke. I feel bad for all the dog walkers who used the green delivery bags to pick up the dog crap. About the only thing that paper is good for.

I recently visited my parents who of course still get a print subscription and saw it on their coffee table. Asked how often it is delivered and they said Thursday and Saturday. What a joke. I feel bad for all the dog walkers who used the green delivery bags to pick up the dog crap. About the only thing that paper is good for.
I still get and like my Sunday paper. The problem we have now is people only reading online "targeted" news based on previous clicks. Even the Post Gazette, you can read it online in a .pdf format that is like a printed news paper. It is much superior to just going on their website because it is sometimes hard to find things that the printed copy has.

I still get and like my Sunday paper. The problem we have now is people only reading online "targeted" news based on previous clicks. Even the Post Gazette, you can read it online in a .pdf format that is like a printed news paper. It is much superior to just going on their website because it is sometimes hard to find things that the printed copy has.
i miss the sunday paper, truly do. not to long ago, around 09-10, i lived in lebo and sunday morning id walk down to the gas station with my daughter (who was just walking at the time) and get a sunday paper and a coffee, bring it back and read it on my side porch.

Around this time of the year, the pitt football articles would start popping up more and more and i'd look forward to it big time..

As a former paper boy of the pittsburgh press circa 1985-86, freakin hated delivering those damn things though.

I don't think even went to Penn State as much as he grew up there with Nitter parents. So he might even be a branch campus dummy.

But yeah, read that and was going to post that. Actually I think Johnny McGonigle does a good job covering Pitt and has openly been contentious with Ron Cook on some appearances on the Fan, defending Pitt.

But yeah, there it is in a nutshell. The local media covering Penn State are PSU cheerleaders.
Maybe the prestigious world campus?

the last 2 sports editors I thought weren't even nit grads, unlike the big fanboy Jerry Micco who totally ignored the Sandusky affair during his time as editor. Plus with Franklin limiting access, PG was actually giving them less coverage (Zeise had made a comment about this at one time). But this hire and puff piece announcement shows old habits are hard to break at the PG so it looks like they are returning to their old cheerleading ways,

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
i miss the sunday paper, truly do. not to long ago, around 09-10, i lived in lebo and sunday morning id walk down to the gas station with my daughter (who was just walking at the time) and get a sunday paper and a coffee, bring it back and read it on my side porch.

Around this time of the year, the pitt football articles would start popping up more and more and i'd look forward to it big time..

As a former paper boy of the pittsburgh press circa 1985-86, freakin hated delivering those damn things though.
Oh I am a former Post Gazette paper boy. So I was getting up early at like 11-12 years old and delivering them. Summer time wasn't too bad. Rain and winter, different story.

Oh I am a former Post Gazette paper boy. So I was getting up early at like 11-12 years old and delivering them. Summer time wasn't too bad. Rain and winter, different story.

god forbid if an old lady didn't get her paper PUT INSIDE THE SCREEN DOOR! There was one really bad snow storm and the distributor couldn't bring the papers and gave them to me the next day. When I went to collect that week she raised a ruckus and said don't ever leave her a day old paper and she wasn't paying for it.

I was a paper boy with my older brother for the Pgh Press and one Sunday we took the brick off the pile of papers and guess what happened? Yep papers all over the streets! We had to have our mom call for another delivery of papers.

This should surprise NOBODY. Their program is mostly a charade, which is why they must use propaganda. Kind of like the North Koreans bragging about how amazing their weapons are.
I don't know about that. Because they are recruiting well, and they are putting in NFL players. But somehow it is not happening on the field. Much like Pitt in the 80's.

I don't know about that. Because they are recruiting well, and they are putting in NFL players. But somehow it is not happening on the field. Much like Pitt in the 80's.
Pretty simple.
They feast on the B1G bottom feeders, slug it out with the similarly situated programs, and get dominated by the elite program in the B1G.
Add a cake OOC schedule, and there you go.

They do put on a good show for recruits though. Nice facilities and of course "White Outs"!
Franklin knows how to sell it too. His life story plays well in the living rooms.

Pretty simple.
They feast on the B1G bottom feeders, slug it out with the similarly situated programs, and get dominated by the elite program in the B1G.
Add a cake OOC schedule, and there you go.

They do put on a good show for recruits though. Nice facilities and of course "White Outs"!
Franklin knows how to sell it too. His life story plays well in the living rooms.

he should really get more heat for his record the past 2 years. It should be next to impossible to not routinely turn in 9-3 seasons with all their resources.

They do recruit well, but they just don't perform when the time comes. How come we never got a story about that? Every. Single. Year. They recruit well... have a great ranking... "national title contenders", yadda yadda yadda... beat some other Big Ten teams that appear good but turn out not to be... and then TANK.

Media continues to help them out, like Kim Jung is threatening them or something. They say "unrivaled" but WTF does that even mean?

he should really get more heat for his record the past 2 years. It should be next to impossible to not routinely turn in 9-3 seasons with all their resources.
I've been up near there hunting in Renova area past few years. Listen to the post game talk radio.
People/fans are all over his A$$, they basically hate him. Wonder why? LOL
But, he does what he needs to do to keep his job. They still get great attendance, and are just good enough.
Firing him would be a huge risk.

They do recruit well, but they just don't perform when the time comes. How come we never got a story about that? Every. Single. Year. They recruit well... have a great ranking... "national title contenders", yadda yadda yadda... beat some other Big Ten teams that appear good but turn out not to be... and then TANK.

Media continues to help them out, like Kim Jung is threatening them or something. They say "unrivaled" but WTF does that even mean?
Simple four letter word explanation: CULT!

“They say "unrivaled" but WTF does that even mean?”

Well, based on some recent media reports from Central PA, they are apparently unrivaled at tea-bagging in the football locker room, for one thing. 😏

Reactions: columbus mike
Perhaps this is a question for Paco, but why does Pitt not have their own journalism school? I understand there’s an equivalent media communications degree that falls under general studies, but sometimes I wonder if Pitt would produce more journalists if there was one. Theoretically, this could lead to a bigger “Pitt presence” in the local media.
Department of Communications.

No dedicated journalism major? Pitt merged its journalism track with creative non-fiction writing track. Why = $. UPJ has one.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
“They say "unrivaled" but WTF does that even mean?”

Well, based on some recent media reports from Central PA, they are apparently unrivaled at tea-bagging in the football locker room, for one thing. 😏

Yeah I'm not familiar and haven't been following, but I know that something seems to have happened. If it was Pitt, you know the media would be making a bigger deal out of it and going after Narduzzi.

And here we go!
???
"An endowment enables faculty and students to conduct innovative research, explore new academic fields, apply new technologies, and develop new teaching methods even if funding is not readily available from other sources, including tuition, gifts, or grants."

Reactions: jtbuba
I've been up near there hunting in Renova area past few years. Listen to the post game talk radio.
People/fans are all over his A$$, they basically hate him. Wonder why? LOL
But, he does what he needs to do to keep his job. They still get great attendance, and are just good enough.
Firing him would be a huge risk.
I am still amazed at the one sided contract extension they gave him. He can basically walk this year with little recourse, but if he would go 3-9 and they would fire him, they would owe him tens of millions.

It just must not be important to the University hierarchy because $$ should not be an issue as this would be a legitimate expenditure for endowment money.
Money absolutely is the issue. Always is. And endowment money isn't spent like that, at all.

It was a decision of the Department of Communications that has to work within a budget, based on what students are taking classes in. Like any department that has programs where enrollment doesn't cover a program's costs to operate, decisions had to be made.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I am still amazed at the one sided contract extension they gave him. He can basically walk this year with little recourse, but if he would go 3-9 and they would fire him, they would owe him tens of millions.
I imagine the higher ups have determined that he's about as good as they can get up there.
He flirted with other jobs, or at least gave that appearance, and they blinked.

Money absolutely is the issue. Always is. And endowment money isn't spent like that, at all.

It was a decision of the Department of Communications that has to work within a budget, based on what students are taking classes in. Like any department that has programs where enrollment doesn't cover a program's costs to operate, decisions had to be made.
Interesting. Beginning to get the feeling that endowment $$ isn't spent at all!

Interesting. Beginning to get the feeling that endowment $$ isn't spent at all!
It does not work like a piggy bank.

The principal is invested with two things that are supposed to occur 1) the rate of the annual investment return on the principal goes to fund support to a dedicated purpose (based on the intent of the donor if it is not a quasi-endowment) 2) the rate of turn covers the cost of the rise in inflation so purchasing power is not lost over time.

The endowment is supposed to maintain its purchasing power to fund the dedicated purpose, every year, in perpetuity. 200 years from now, if the US economy doesn't collapse, Joe Smith's endowed scholarship fund that he funded in 2020 is still chugging along funding that scholarship in 2220 (and has adjusted its payout up for inflation), long after Joe Smith is dead.

The amount that is payed out to support something at the university is ~5% of the principal per year. This amount is set by the board of trustees based on limited range allowed by Pennsylvania state law governing endowments. Donate $100K for an endowed scholarship fund, that means every year a student gets ~$5K in scholarship support (gradually increased over time to account for inflation), forever. ~5% is what the vast majority of any endowments anywhere pay out to fund their specific purpose.

Pitt's endowment, like everyone's 401Ks, is likely taking a severe beating this year, and doubly so with inflation rising like it is.

Last edited:
It does not work like a piggy bank.

The principal is invested with two things that are supposed to occur 1) the rate of the annual investment return on the principal goes to fund support to a dedicated purpose (based on the intent of the donor if it is not a quasi-endowment) 2) the rate of turn covers the cost of the rise in inflation so purchasing power is not lost over time.

The endowment is supposed to maintain its purchasing power to fund the dedicated purpose in perpetuity. 200 years from now, if the US economy doesn't collapse, Joe Smith's endowed scholarship fund is still chugging along funding that full scholarship.

The amount that is payed out to support something at the university is ~5% of the principal a year. This amount is set by the board of trustees based on limited range allowed by Pennsylvania state law governing endowments.
So it is a piggy bank, but one that is never broken in to.

This definition is not accurate then:
"An endowment enables faculty and students to conduct innovative research, explore new academic fields, apply new technologies, and develop new teaching methods even if funding is not readily available from other sources, including tuition, gifts, or grants."

Yeah I'm not familiar and haven't been following, but I know that something seems to have happened. If it was Pitt, you know the media would be making a bigger deal out of it and going after Narduzzi.
Excerpt from The Daily Collegian (nit student newspaper) article of 7/19/22:

“A federal investigation has commenced following allegations of sexual extortion targeting Penn State athletes in September 2021, according to recently unsealed court documents.

The now-public search warrants revealed that Penn State had obtained various explicit files, including 19 videos from within the Penn State football locker room, seven videos of multiple males engaged in sexual activity with an unknown female, as well as other photos and screenshots.”

Excerpt from The Daily Collegian (nit student newspaper) article of 7/19/22:

“A federal investigation has commenced following allegations of sexual extortion targeting Penn State athletes in September 2021, according to recently unsealed court documents.

The now-public search warrants revealed that Penn State had obtained various explicit files, including 19 videos from within the Penn State football locker room, seven videos of multiple males engaged in sexual activity with an unknown female, as well as other photos and screenshots.”
They should test the water in that locker room!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT