ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New TV question

mike 301

Head Coach
Jan 30, 2013
I fully know this is a dumb assed question but does anyone know if I were to purchase a new say amazon roku or amazon fire tv , can I still run a regular cable through and get my comcast/verizon programming ? Thanks in advance ...
Asking for a stupid friend... :oops:

As long as your TV has more than one HDMI port, which any reasonably modern TV should, then yes. You just have to switch HDMI inputs depending on which device you are currently using. Newer TVs can potentially do this automatically based on which remote you are using if HDMI-CEC is enabled in the TV's options.

Edit: Mis-read the original question, and realize now this is asking about buying a TV with Roku or Amazon TV capability built in. As, answered above, that is no different than buying any set with built in "smart" features(which is most sets now), and the answer is yes, this is not a problem.

• Haha
Reactions: cease10
I fully know this is a dumb assed question but does anyone know if I were to purchase a new say amazon roku or amazon fire tv , can I still run a regular cable through and get my comcast/verizon programming ? Thanks in advance ...
Asking for a stupid friend... :oops:
And it isn’t a dumb question. TV is not what it once was and half the time I don’t realize whether I am using streaming or something else. And I am fascinated that with YouTube TV you get Turner Classics (which we love). However sometimes a movie won’t show because there aren’t streaming rights for that particular movie.

Good luck.

Is it still easy to buy a dumb tv? I want a TV without wireless, built in streaming capabilities, etc… I want to be able to connect my Roku separately. I had a smart tv a few years ago and everything eventually ran so slowly that I never used the smart capabilities anyways.

Is it still easy to buy a dumb tv? I want a TV without wireless, built in streaming capabilities, etc… I want to be able to connect my Roku separately. I had a smart tv a few years ago and everything eventually ran so slowly that I never used the smart capabilities anyways.
I just saw one in Target the other day, a cheap 32 “ of whatever their store brand is. I remember it because I was surprised to see one that wasn’t as smart TV.
I’d bet you’d have a hard time finding a larger set that isn’t however. For that might need to look at eBay for a used.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
As long as your TV has more than one HDMI port, which any reasonably modern TV should, then yes. You just have to switch HDMI inputs depending on which device you are currently using. Newer TVs can potentially do this automatically based on which remote you are using if HDMI-CEC is enabled in the TV's options.

Edit: Mis-read the original question, and realize now this is asking about buying a TV with Roku or Amazon TV capability built in. As, answered above, that is no different than buying any set with built in "smart" features(which is most sets now), and the answer is yes, this is not a problem.

Interesting. My TV is 13 years old and it can detect what device is using HDMI via remote usage.

You could always get a nin smart TV and just connect the latest device from Roku. No difference, except it might run faster with a newer Roku box.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy

You can also use the Roku TV and if you have cable TV, register the device on your app and stream regular TV to that TV. Not sure if I explained that right? but it works, I have an extra TV with no cable attached to it and it works like that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT