ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NFL botched ending of DAL/DET

It’s not that the Lions are trying to choose who reported after the fact, it’s that the officials mistakingly said it was #70 reported and not #68. It doesn’t even make sense that #70 would be an eligible receiver because the formation is only legal if #68 is the one who’s eligible.
There was an even worse call against Dallas before that. These refs are a circus 🎪

Reactions: HailToPitt725
There was an even worse call against Dallas before that. These refs are a circus 🎪
If I recall correctly, Brad Allen’s crew has been terrible all season long. Multiple game-altering mistakes this season alone.

Why has everything turned into conspiracies? The Lions reported #70 on multiple situations prior to that. They reported #70 on the two point conversion which the refs confirmed. If the Lions heard the refs report #70 and it was supposed to be #68…..why didn’t they say anything?

I agree. That or get rid of it. Replay was brought in because games were won or lost because of bad or missed calls. I believe the 79 AFC Championship Game was the catalyst. But how has replay changed that? Refs are still blowing games. If it's not possible to review every play, then get rid of it.

I remember a game against Notre Dame a few years back when it appeared we caught a long pass for a 1st down. It was reviewed, and the review showed the ball hit the ground and the call was reversed and it was called incomplete. That same review also showed the Notre Dame defender clearly interfered with the Pitt receiver, but since PI was not reviewable, it was still ruled incomplete and Pitt had to punt. If you are going to review a play, EVERY part of that play should be reviewable.

Let's not mention the field goal where ND had two players with the same number on the field for a game winning field goal a few years later. Again...not reviewable. They can review if there were 12 men on the field, but not two players with the same number?

So review everything...or get rid of it.
Every play should be reviewable.

Last edited:
No, that's not correct. They could have kicked the extra point after the penalty. The only difference was that the penalty would have been marked off from the 15 yard line instead of the 2.
Thanks for the clarification. It really made no sense to me that Campbell would not kick the point, rather than go for 2 from the 7, if he was able to. And it still makes no sense to me that he didn’t play for the tie and overtime,rather than what had to be a much less than 50% chance to win in regulation with the 2 point conversion.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
If I recall correctly, Brad Allen’s crew has been terrible all season long. Multiple game-altering mistakes this season alone.
No conspiracy with him and his crew. They just aren’t very good. The NFL would rather hire females, minorities, and their cronies/relatives.

They should be hiring younger officials who are the most qualified and make it a full-time job. The sweet spot should be ages 30-50.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Of course it's also the refs job to pay attention to which guy is talking to him and which guy is reporting as eligible instead of just assuming that it was the guy who had reported in on some other play during the game.

This was complete incompetence by the referee, and then after the game when the pool reporter talked to him he basically lied about what happened. The Lions trying to confuse the Cowboys has nothing at all to do with the ref screwing it up completely.
Exactly

I don’t care if they sent 5 players

Do your job get it right

They didn’t

Pro football is nearly u watchable, had to be the most boring sport to watch live. I’m in Seattle for the Steeler game now and literally every ball stop is a commercial break. Been 4 breaks and we aren’t even 6 minutes in

Why has everything turned into conspiracies? The Lions reported #70 on multiple situations prior to that. They reported #70 on the two point conversion which the refs confirmed. If the Lions heard the refs report #70 and it was supposed to be #68…..why didn’t they say anything?

Number 70 wasn't even the guy who talked to the official. He was still running onto the field when the ref turned to the Cowboys to tell them who was reporting. It doesn't matter how many times 70 reported previous to that play, it is pretty obvious that he wasn't the guy who reported on THAT play.

The refs only argument would be to say that 68 walked over to him and said something to him, but it was something other than him reporting as eligible. And that's not what the ref said, and that's not how he acted. We don't know exactly who said what, but we know for a fact that 68 was one of the guys who was there and could have said something, and we know for a fact that 70 wasn't.

Reactions: DruidTM
Number 70 wasn't even the guy who talked to the official. He was still running onto the field when the ref turned to the Cowboys to tell them who was reporting. It doesn't matter how many times 70 reported previous to that play, it is pretty obvious that he wasn't the guy who reported on THAT play.

The refs only argument would be to say that 68 walked over to him and said something to him, but it was something other than him reporting as eligible. And that's not what the ref said, and that's not how he acted. We don't know exactly who said what, but we know for a fact that 68 was one of the guys who was there and could have said something, and we know for a fact that 70 wasn't.
No sense explaining to this guy. He’s a mess

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
No sense explaining to this guy. He’s a mess

He really is. I used to think he was just trolling with these incredibly dumb posts but then he’d post subsequent stuff in the same thread that makes it clear he isn’t.

He’s special.

We don’t know any of that for a fact. We do know for a fact that #70 was declared eligible not #68. That is the only fact we know.

We don’t know any of that for a fact. We do know for a fact that #70 was declared eligible not #68. That is the only fact we know.

We know it all for a fact if we were watching at the time, or if we've watched any of the videos of it afterwards.

Perhaps your problem is that you didn't watch it and haven't seen it, so you have no idea at all what actually happened? Because it's pretty clear that you don't.

I watched it and I read the referee’s explanation of the situation and why multiple flags were thrown on the play. I was skeptical like yourself but understand why the flags were thrown.

Let me ask you. What is more likely….the referee called it correctly or the Lions screwed up the play/eligibility, purposely tried to deceive the refs, or have sour grapes because it didn’t work out?

I watched it and I read the referee’s explanation of the situation and why multiple flags were thrown on the play. I was skeptical like yourself but understand why the flags were thrown.

Let me ask you. What is more likely….the referee called it correctly or the Lions screwed up the play/eligibility, purposely tried to deceive the refs, or have sour grapes because it didn’t work out?

If you watch the video the most likely thing is that the official assumed that the guy who was telling him he was eligible was the same guy who had told him that before, when it fact in was not.

In fact that is far more likely than 68 said something to the ref but it wasn't that he was eligible, while 70 was yelling as he was running across the field that he was, which is what you have to believe if you believe what the ref said.

If you watch the video the most likely thing is that the official assumed that the guy who was telling him he was eligible was the same guy who had told him that before, when it fact in was not.

In fact that is far more likely than 68 said something to the ref but it wasn't that he was eligible, while 70 was yelling as he was running across the field that he was, which is what you have to believe if you believe what the ref said.
Is it fair to say that Detroit did not make it clear of the eligibility of the player to the ref?

Is it fair to say that Detroit did not make it clear of the eligibility of the player to the ref?

No, not at all.

I mean is that theoretically possible? Sure. But all the evidence that we have is that they made it clear and the ref wasn't paying enough attention and assumed that the person who told him he was eligible was the same guy who had said it to him before and he didn't notice that it was actually a completely different guy. That is way more likely than the correct player said something completely unrelated to the ref, while the guy who was running onto the field was simultaneously yelling to the ref that he was reporting as eligible.

No, not at all.

I mean is that theoretically possible? Sure. But all the evidence that we have is that they made it clear and the ref wasn't paying enough attention and assumed that the person who told him he was eligible was the same guy who had said it to him before and he didn't notice that it was actually a completely different guy. That is way more likely than the correct player said something completely unrelated to the ref, while the guy who was running onto the field was simultaneously yelling to the ref that he was reporting as eligible.
So worst case scenario, the Lions’s did not communicate it properly…..best case scenario, the Lion’s tried to confuse th situation.

So worst case scenario, the Lions’s did not communicate it properly…..best case scenario, the Lion’s tried to confuse th situation.
The Lions admitted that they wanted some confusion. To the point that Campbell told the refs what to expect in a pre game scrum.

I don't understand why you would send three linemen over to the ref. I feel like that is asking for problems.

It is right out of the Narduzzi doctored-fake-punt-jersey playbook.

The Lions converted a 2pt conversion to take a 1pt lead over the Cowboys with :20 to go… until it was ruled that #68 Decker did not report eligible. However, he clearly went over to the official to report before the play. At best, the NFL’s officials completely botched a game-altering play with major playoff seeding implications. It’s unacceptable how egregious the officiating has been this season. This just can’t happen.
Going to cost the Lions a first round bye and make them travel back to Dallas for a re match.

I'm saying the ref made a mistake. Do you think that a ref who has worked the game for 25 years doesn't sometimes make mistakes?
There is a clip on the ESPN website with Rex Ryan, on this play. His claim is that the coaches meet with the refs before each game, and alert them to any unusual or trick plays that are in the playbook for that game. Unless the Lions' coaches somehow forgot to mention this play, the refs were well aware of it.

John Parry after the game defending the ref to no end was tough to watch and SVP really wasn’t having any of it. Despite everything that happened up until that point of the game, the ref appears to have gotten this one wrong and it had a huge impact on the playoff picture.
Yeah, it was really ridiculous and sad how that guy was going out of his way to defend his refree buddy. The way he was referring to the ref on a first name basis you could tell that it was personal for him. I never paid attention to that rules analyst before but I can't take him serious ever again after watching that.

Reactions: Burgh15
There is a clip on the ESPN website with Rex Ryan, on this play. His claim is that the coaches meet with the refs before each game, and alert them to any unusual or trick plays that are in the playbook for that game. Unless the Lions' coaches somehow forgot to mention this play, the refs were well aware of it.
Well it's one thing to discuss the trick play where we are going to line-up an O lineman as an eligible receiver and throw him the ball if we try a two-point conversion. It's another thing to also tell the ref we are going to use deception and confusion in reporting who is eligible so that the defense won't know who to look for. I wonder if they went as far to explain that.

Reactions: jivecat
The NFL puts blame on the Lions, shocking I know. As had been said before Detroit was trying to be cute and it backfired, in these kind of situations teams should know the refs will screw up more times than not.

His mistake was not paying enough attention.

Your mistake is thinking that NFL referees are somehow perfect and don't ever make mistakes.
I don’t thinks refs are perfect. It’s a tough job but it is obvious that Detroit miscommunicated or tried to deceive the refs/Dallas. I am certain this is not the first time you have blamed the refs for an outcome you did not want.

So you are saying? A ref that worked the game for 25 years had a bad day? No chance the Lions tried to play the situation?
You mean the ref and crew that the NFL just banned from working the playoffs as punishment for what happened last night? The same ref and crew that ESPN wrote an article about earlier this year because of how many game altering mistakes they had made? Nah he’s been a ref for 25 years, he couldn’t have botched that call.
I don’t thinks refs are perfect. It’s a tough job but it is obvious that Detroit miscommunicated or tried to deceive the refs/Dallas. I am certain this is not the first time you have blamed the refs for an outcome you did not want.
That’s why Dan Campbell explained the play to the refs in detail BEFORE the game. Those plays are worthless without some level of deception. The ineligible that was required to report did so. The ineligible that ran onto the field while 68 was reporting to the ref did not report as eligible because he was not going to be eligible. The ref just straight up blew it. Had he taken 10 seconds to make sure he got it right this never would have happened, instead he just rushed through the whole sequence for no reason. The NFL has acknowledged the call was blown as, per leaks, they have banned this ref crew from the playoffs as punishment.

Why are you the only person in the country dying on this hill? Did that blown call win you some money or something? Or do you hate the Lions for some reason? I mean even the Dallas press and fans are acknowledging the goof and criticizing the refs.

His mistake was not paying enough attention.

Your mistake is thinking that NFL referees are somehow perfect and don't ever make mistakes.
He had three lineman coming to him. Two walking up and a third running at him from the sidelines, and this third guy was the one who had reported eligible on multiple past occasions. If anything, he was paying too much attention to everything that was going on and seeing the guy running at him from the other side of the field.

The NFL has leaked it to the public that the REFs blew the call? Really?

Did they leak it to you?

You mean the ref and crew that the NFL just banned from working the playoffs as punishment for what happened last night? The same ref and crew that ESPN wrote an article about earlier this year because of how many game altering mistakes they had made? Nah he’s been a ref for 25 years, he couldn’t have botched that call.

That’s why Dan Campbell explained the play to the refs in detail BEFORE the game. Those plays are worthless without some level of deception. The ineligible that was required to report did so. The ineligible that ran onto the field while 68 was reporting to the ref did not report as eligible because he was not going to be eligible. The ref just straight up blew it. Had he taken 10 seconds to make sure he got it right this never would have happened, instead he just rushed through the whole sequence for no reason. The NFL has acknowledged the call was blown as, per leaks, they have banned this ref crew from the playoffs as punishment.

Why are you the only person in the country dying on this hill? Did that blown call win you some money or something? Or do you hate the Lions for some reason? I mean even the Dallas press and fans are acknowledging the goof and criticizing the refs.
Sure Campbell told the refs to be aware of the tackle eligible pass play, there’s no way he told them about sending the three tackles over to confuse Dallas on who was eligible. The Lions added a wrinkle to the process that could cause human error, with a ref crew who everyone knows is bad and it cost them.

Well it's one thing to discuss the trick play where we are going to line-up an O lineman as an eligible receiver and throw him the ball if we try a two-point conversion. It's another thing to also tell the ref we are going to use deception and confusion in reporting who is eligible so that the defense won't know who to look for. I wonder if they went as far to explain that.
I thought the whole point of telling the ref who is eligible was to enable the ref to alert the defense to the fact that the player was eligible. So how can they use deception, since the ref has to tell the defense who is eligible? They are not trying to confuse the ref, and the ref has to inform the defense.

Sure Campbell told the refs to be aware of the tackle eligible pass play, there’s no way he told them about sending the three tackles over to confuse Dallas on who was eligible. The Lions added a wrinkle to the process that could cause human error, with a ref crew who everyone knows is bad and it cost them.
Bottom line is 68 Decker told the ref he was the eligible player. 70 Skipper did not report as eligible. Everything that happened after that is on the ref.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT