ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NHL Illegal Hitting

May 21, 2010
Where do you stand on the small fines and suspensions for hits clearly not within the rules. I am a fan of legal checking but not illegal checking or fighting. IMO the fines should be way more severe.

Shayne Gostisbehere & Tom Wilson are recent examples.

Hockey is a great game but the NHL is a joke. Until it addresses garbage like the incidents referenced above it will remain a joke.

I said a while back some team should just bring up some stiff from a low level and just run Wilson. Then when he comes back another team should do it again.

I love the statement the Rangers made. That kind of thing almost never happens so it seems even the teams and players have had more than enough.

Like you I love and appreciate physical play. Even a toe over the line occasionally is necessary. But this goonish thuggery has to go.

Last edited:
The NHL doesn't realize they have a problem. A lot of casual fans don't watch til the playoffs. By then, several stars are getting hurt with "chippy" shots and the way they call the game doesn't allow these guys to show their skill. I know you can't take away hitting but what Wilson did the other night deserved a lot more than a $5,000 fine.

Hockey is a great game but the NHL is a joke. Until it addresses garbage like the incidents referenced above it will remain a joke.

I said a while back some team should just bring up some stiff from a low level and just run Wilson. Then when he comes back another team should do it again.

I love the statement the Rangers made. That kind of thing almost never happens so it seems even the teams and players have had more than enough.

Like you I love and appreciate physical play. Even a toe over the line occasionally is necessary. But this goonish thuggery has to go.
Can you imagine the uproar if the NBA allowed fighting! You get a 2 minute penalty for beating the crap out of another player!

The NHL doesn't realize they have a problem. A lot of casual fans don't watch til the playoffs. By then, several stars are getting hurt with "chippy" shots and the way they call the game doesn't allow these guys to show their skill. I know you can't take away hitting but what Wilson did the other night deserved a lot more than a $5,000 fine.
The NHL doesn't have a problem. In Canada. And that is still the epicenter of the NHL. All's well. And honestly Wilson is Wilson. The true deterrent is a Ryan Reaves, Wilson always picks on guys smaller than him, never equals. Alot of the getting rid of the tough guy stuff has backfired, just like the enforcing of the throwing at batters. Sorry, that stuff worked for a reason and there was an honor code of sorts. When you leave it up to the officials, you see what happens.

Plus....don't kid yourself. The NHL loves this. We love this. You love this. Who turned into that game last night that ordinarily wouldn't have given it a second thought. That's your answer.

Reactions: 303vND and kma0043
In baseball or basketball a fight could mean a broken finger on your pitching hand or shooting hand. They don’t want to risk that. The NHL players just continue on and they also have padding and helmets.

what cracks me up about Wilson is he frequently takes his Jersey off in the penalty box. Sometimes it’s to fix his pads but he wants to show the other team across the ice that he is put together at 230 pounds. He wants to intimidate the other team in his under armour shirt. Dope

The small fines are ridiculous. $5000 to an NHL player (avg salary ~$3million) is like a fine of $200 to someone making $125K. That's just not right, and the NHL needs to approach the NHLPA and put this back in their lap if they are concerned about player safety, then how can you accept such a low max fine? Of course, the NHLPA will rightly come back to them, "duh, well if you have the guts to suspend, that costs them game checks". And the NHLPA would be dead on with those comments.

To be honest, I no longer care about this stuff. If the players don't, why should I? I am ready for a good old fashioned nutjob series like the ones the Avs/Red Wings would play in the 90's or the Oiler/Flames in the 80's.

I tried to post the penalty box score from Game 2 of the Pens Rangers series....it is hilarious.

There were 22 Minor penalties called.....................IN THE FIRST PERIOD!! Mostly roughing and unsportsmanlike conduct. And two fighting majors.

In the second period.....there were 13 more Minor penalties called, 2 more fighting and Jay Caulfield got a 10 minute misconduct.

It settled down in the 3rd period, only 7 minor penalties.

But think about that.....42 minor penalties were called. In one game. You can go a month now and not get that. Here's the thing, I was AT this game, and nothing sticks out to me as anything particularly outrageous or vicious. But it was constant BS scrum stuff.

I don't know why this happened, this was the first playoff appearance by the Pens with Mario Lemieux and if the Rangers intended to intimidate the young Pens, they didn't do a real good job as they were swept.

I watch hockey for the skill, not the goonery. It’s a shame the league still allows the Wilson stuff to happen. Hitting someone during a play is one thing...or even finishing a check. But hammer punching a prone opponent like an MMA fight should be dealt with harshly. All teams have too much invested in each of their players to put up with it.

Reactions: WeaverIsComing
I would prefer Olympic size ice and rules. I guess it depends how much the violence attracts fans (always go after the almighty dollar), but with UFC, etc., does hockey still need it. I am surprised they don't try to press assault charges - would be an interesting case to see if they could get an indictment.

I watch hockey for the skill, not the goonery. It’s a shame the league still allows the Wilson stuff to happen. Hitting someone during a play is one thing...or even finishing a check. But hammer punching a prone opponent like an MMA fight should be dealt with harshly. All teams have too much invested in each of their players to put up with it.
Skill without gooney would make the sport more appealing to mass market. Fighting is not in the rules!

Goonery in the NHL has shown it doesn't help their ratings. What would help is enforcing the rules allowing the skilled players to shine as much as possible.

If people want to see fights, there are plenty of options available to watch REAL skilled fighters.

The NHL doesn't have a problem. In Canada. And that is still the epicenter of the NHL. All's well. And honestly Wilson is Wilson. The true deterrent is a Ryan Reaves, Wilson always picks on guys smaller than him, never equals. Alot of the getting rid of the tough guy stuff has backfired, just like the enforcing of the throwing at batters. Sorry, that stuff worked for a reason and there was an honor code of sorts. When you leave it up to the officials, you see what happens.

Plus....don't kid yourself. The NHL loves this. We love this. You love this. Who turned into that game last night that ordinarily wouldn't have given it a second thought. That's your answer.
Well, that’s why I said they don’t realize they have a problem because they really do.

I get your point but don't include me in "you" love this. I think Wilson should be out of the league. I though Steve Cooke should have been out of the league when he played for the Pens too.

In any other sport, if you throw a punch, you are suspended. This guy threw a punch at the head of a guy who was laying on the ground. That's not just a penalty. That's assault.

Can you imagine the uproar if the NBA allowed fighting! You get a 2 minute penalty for beating the crap out of another player!
That is a silly argument. The sports have a completely different ethos. Almost all physical contact in BB is a potential foul....remember Pitt's bump every cutter style under Howland/Dixon....

Hockey fighting is part of it's DNA in North America.

I get your point but don't include me in "you" love this. I think Wilson should be out of the league. I though Steve Cooke should have been out of the league when he played for the Pens too.

In any other sport, if you throw a punch, you are suspended. This guy threw a punch at the head of a guy who was laying on the ground. That's not just a penalty. That's assault.
Matt Cooke??????

Matt Cooke??????

Yes, Matt. LOL

Full disclosure ... at first I typed Mike Cook, but then realized that wasn't right because he was a Pitt small forward. The next thing that popped into my head was Steve. (Knowing now he was a Pirates Lefty pitcher in the 90's.)

Yes, Matt. LOL

Full disclosure ... at first I typed Mike Cook, but then realized that wasn't right because he was a Pitt small forward. The next thing that popped into my head was Steve. (Knowing now he was a Pirates Lefty pitcher in the 90's.)
That's it. I was thinking, I know a Steve Cooke....who was he and I was thinking a golfer, but yeah the Pirates pitcher, lol.

Yes, Matt. LOL

It's all good. When Cooke played the rules were different and the knockout shots/ fighting were much more accepted in the NHL.

I don't know if you remember, Darius Kasparaitis basically ended Eric Lindros' career with a legal hit when Lindros had his head down

So rangers get fined 250K for complaining about only a 5K fine being leveled about Wilson. Makes sense for Bettman.

That is a silly argument. The sports have a completely different ethos. Almost all physical contact in BB is a potential foul....remember Pitt's bump every cutter style under Howland/Dixon....

Hockey fighting is part of it's DNA in North America.

Yes, Pitt bumped cutters. But I'm not sure how that works for your case. If Chevy had thrown a punch, he would have been suspended. And no one is talking about getting rid of checking. But players like Wilson should not be in the game.

They used to make video's about Football's headhunting ethos too. But the sport decided to change it and that's what is happening.

Hockey needs to change it's DNA.

It's all good. When Cooke played the rules were different and the knockout shots/ fighting were much more accepted in the NHL.

I don't know if you remember, Darius Kasparaitis basically ended Eric Lindros' career with a legal hit when Lindros had his head down

Hated that hit Darius Kasparaitis put on Lindros as much as I hated the knee Ulf Samulesson put on Cam Neely that certainly shortened his career.

It's not all good. It's completely the opposite of good.

Yes, Pitt bumped cutters. But I'm not sure how that works for your case. If Chevy had thrown a punch, he would have been suspended. And no one is talking about getting rid of checking. But players like Wilson should not be in the game.

They used to make video's about Football's headhunting ethos too. But the sport decided to change it and that's what is happening.

Hockey needs to change it's DNA.
When is a clean hip check a 2 min penalty in today's NHL? I would say most times.

Tom Wilson is a menace...and he doesn't need to be because he is a highly skilled player.....but I love the tradition in the NHL of an eye for an eye. Hurt our guy with a cheap shot/borderline cheap shot.....better watch your back....

When is a clean hip check a 2 min penalty in today's NHL? I would say most times.

Tom Wilson is a menace...and he doesn't need to be because he is a highly skilled player.....but I love the tradition in the NHL of an eye for an eye. Hurt our guy with a cheap shot/borderline cheap shot.....better watch your back....

We have different values for sure.

Hated that hit Darius Kasparaitis put on Lindros as much as I hated the knee Ulf Samulesson put on Cam Neely that certainly shortened his career.

It's not all good. It's completely the opposite of good.
Oh well. Don't like the sport watch something else. Kasparitis hit was completely legal. Tell Lindros to keep his head up when he's skating through center ice......

We have different values for sure.
I guess. I judge every sport on it's own merits, history and traditions.

Were you upset that the Rangers decided to drop the gloves against the Caps in their following game in reponse to Wilson's on ice assault?

Oh well. Don't like the sport watch something else. Kasparitis hit was completely legal. Tell Lindros to keep his head up when he's skating through center ice......

I love the sport. Just not that part of it.

I guess. I judge every sport on it's own merits, history and traditions.

Were you upset that the Rangers decided to drop the gloves against the Caps in their following game in reponse to Wilson's on ice assault?

The Rangers response shouldn't have needed to happen if Wilson had been suspended appropriately. Beyond that ... it was silly. What did it accomplish?

Reactions: 303vND
The Rangers response shouldn't have needed to happen if Wilson had been suspended appropriately. Beyond that ... it was silly. What did it accomplish?
He wasn't so the Rangers took justice into their own hands....It accomplished sending a message that Wilson's bullsh*t wouldn't be tolerated on the ice.

Reactions: 303vND
Clearly it’s no deterrent. Wilson will do what he does again. You can bank on it. Not to mention he beat the brakes off of the guy who stepped to him.

The Rangers have some skill guys. But they’re not intimidating anyone. Period.

Clearly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT