ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NHL Illegal Hitting

I happen to love the physicality of the sport much like I love a DB separating a receiver from the ball or a defender blasting/sacking a QB.

These things can be accomplished without the intention of injuring another.

It's all good. When Cooke played the rules were different and the knockout shots/ fighting were much more accepted in the NHL.

I don't know if you remember, Darius Kasparaitis basically ended Eric Lindros' career with a legal hit when Lindros had his head down
Yeah those kill shots were legal and no different than the across the middle kill shots Safeties used to lay out WR's. They are now not legal in either football or hockey for good reason.

Guys are so big and fast, but what also is true, the equipment (both sports) is so good now, that they are like armour, but the human head and brain are the same and didn't evolve into some natural protective covering (at least yet). That's definitely true in hockey.

Reactions: pittdan77
The Rangers response shouldn't have needed to happen if Wilson had been suspended appropriately. Beyond that ... it was silly. What did it accomplish?
Nothing. It was all for show. It was a charade. A bunch of 4th liners dropping the gloves in some faux Slapshot scene, probably all of them doing it out of "duty" and not really having their heart into and both groups probably laughing in the penalty box about it.

That was staged, there was nothing organic about it. I don't mind the in real time, organic emotion of a player defending his teammates. I always hated the staged fight to "blow off steam" between the two teams, often between guys who had nothing to do with it. It's stupid and worthless and looks WWE like.

Go after Wilson. Go after one of the Caps stars. Or better yet, the NHL do its job and suspend the protagonist (Wilson) like they should have.

Ironically, the NHL suspended the Flyers Gostisphere for his cheap shot on the Pens Friedman the next 2 games. Who do the Flyers play? Why the Caps of course.

That is a silly argument. The sports have a completely different ethos. Almost all physical contact in BB is a potential foul....remember Pitt's bump every cutter style under Howland/Dixon....

Hockey fighting is part of it's DNA in North America.
Fighting is fighting and just because you have some pads on does not make it okay. I don't get or like fighting and it is nothing to do with the game!

And how do you know the hockey fighter's intentions?

That comment had nothing to do with the concept of fighting in hockey. I was responding to something else you said -- how you like the physicality of the sport. I said physicality can be accomplished without the attempt to injure. Nothing in my comments indicated at all that I think a hockey fighters intent is to injure. I think you are well aware of this, but for some reason are attempting a very flimsy strawman.

I am completely against play with the obvious attempt to injure, and it's pretty clear to me that's what Tom Wilson is trying to do with some of his regular play. I don't think he belongs in the game.

I also think fighting in hockey is ridiculous and outdated and basically does nothing to deter the irresponsible play of someone like Wilson.

Do what teams did in the 1970’s bring up your goons and take runs at Wilson. Every time he is on the ice take cheap shots at him.

I was listening to one former player - I think it was Sean Avery who said you want to fix Wilson - go after the Caps stars. He said if his teammates would pick up the fine, he would purposely dump the puck where the goalie would have to play it and then he would smash the goalie. That's some hardcore vigilante sh*t right there.

Where do you stand on the small fines and suspensions for hits clearly not within the rules. I am a fan of legal checking but not illegal checking or fighting. IMO the fines should be way more severe.

Shayne Gostisbehere & Tom Wilson are recent examples.
I hate to admit this but Pens fans are the biggest cry babies in the NHL. This is widely known. Both hits were bad but since Penguins fans complain about every hit, it loses its impact.

I hate to admit this but Pens fans are the biggest cry babies in the NHL. This is widely known. Both hits were bad but since Penguins fans complain about every hit, it loses its impact.
I am really talking about fighting and NOT in play hits. Where do you stand on fighting?

I am really talking about fighting and NOT in play hits. Where do you stand on fighting?
There is a really good documentary called Ice Guardians. It is about enforcers...their code and how it actually protects the other players on the team. I was never a fan of the so called "goon" until I watched it. More players are getting hurt because they stopped the fighting. I was never a fan of fighting until I watched it.

There is a really good documentary called Ice Guardians. It is about enforcers...their code and how it actually protects the other players on the team. I was never a fan of the so called "goon" until I watched it. More players are getting hurt because they stopped the fighting. I was never a fan of fighting until I watched it.

So fight to stay healthy!

So fight to stay healthy!
lol...in so many words...but the injury numbers increasing speak for themselves. There is a place in the game for the "enforcer".

Crosby is going to have his career cut short because of all the cheap shots he takes and other players know there is no accountability. No one ever did that with Gretzky.

The only problem with this, is alot of these "goons" died young, definitely had some semblance of CTE long term effects. Guys like Bob Probert, John Kordic, Derek Boogard, Rick Rypien, Todd Ewan, Wade Belak, etc.....

So it has to have had some effect on them. These guys, they were the extremes. Either mostly rural Canadian farm boys willing to do whatever it takes to have a job, or well educated guys who had the same idea. There is a fantastic documentary on ex Bruin and Canadian tough guy Chris Nilan, and anyone who is a hockey fan, especially during the 80's I strongly recommend seeking it out.

I do see some of the benefits of the organic nature of fighting and having a tough guy. Tom Wilson is the perfect reason. As I have said, he's a "unicorn". He can flat out play, but he is also the biggest, baddest dude this side of Ryan Reaves. Reaves can play a little. But after these guys...there aren't many. So Wilson is absolutely undeterred to create mayhem. Stick infractions and head shots go relatively unpunished. NHL referees are as feckless as the NCAA in enforcing the rules.

Maybe. Because we have also routinely had the most talented players who have had to deal with this crap for decades. But I agree, though I think Rangers fans are incredible cry babies.

You guys saw my response when this happened the other night. I said exactly what Steve Avery said, before he said it. The opening ice faceoff battles between two 4th lines was completely bogus, staged and window dressing. That if the Rangers really wanted to send a message to the NHL, they would have went after Backstrom or Carlson, and also obviously Wilson himself, not Carl Hagelin.

More players are getting hurt because they stopped the fighting.

More players are getting hurt because players are bigger, faster and stronger and skate faster than they ever have in the history of the league. Bigger, faster, stronger players skating faster create more violent collisions. It has literally nothing at all to do with fighting.

And the only people who think it does are the Neanderthals that run the NHL and their apologists.

Reactions: thom67
lol...in so many words...but the injury numbers increasing speak for themselves. There is a place in the game for the "enforcer".

Crosby is going to have his career cut short because of all the cheap shots he takes and other players know there is no accountability. No one ever did that with Gretzky.
It would not happen if refs simply called the penalties.

I was listening to one former player - I think it was Sean Avery who said you want to fix Wilson - go after the Caps stars. He said if his teammates would pick up the fine, he would purposely dump the puck where the goalie would have to play it and then he would smash the goalie. That's some hardcore vigilante sh*t right there.
Yeah, but your own goalie is going to get it too. Of course the retaliation on the goalie could be circumvented by an aware goalie playing the puck and getting the butt end of the stick up under the visor of the attacking player. Accidents like that do happen.

Yeah, but your own goalie is going to get it too. Of course the retaliation on the goalie could be circumvented by an aware goalie playing the puck and getting the butt end of the stick up under the visor of the attacking player. Accidents like that do happen.

Well...then it’s just a vicious cycle.

Reactions: USN_Panther
You’re wrong
It’s why it’s the least popular major sport
It’s the worst league by far
I just think it isn't the fighting that has held it back as it is the lack of understanding and lack of people playing the sport, even in rudimentary forms, as a kid. They don't understand the basics and also can't follow the puck. Not unlike soccer in many instances.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT