ADVERTISEMENT

OT: No PG at Giant Eagle

No matter how many times you say it, you're just finding different ways to argue that GE doesn't have a right to make decisions for itself but the PG can do whatever it wants?
But you're missing the point that you have to answer for your actions if you don't share his opinion, but if you do share his opinion then no one has the right to question your actions or retaliate because of them.

More than a few white people have been fired over "jokes". The Eagle can do anything they want with advertising. They are the one's paying. The PG provides good paying jobs to many Pittsburghers, if companies continue to pull advertising dollars these jobs will go away.

Did you see the offending tweet that is outside company policy? As far as showing bias, this seems extremely tame to me. To go to the lengths this editor has gone through in response to this tweet is ridiculous.
5edc2b0a30000027281576d9.jpg

While I wouldn't go within five miles of a concert like the Chesney annual debacle did she also Tweet out pictures of the aftermath of real looting?

Was she supposed to be covering the protests/near riots? If so, it just seems like an attempt not to focus on what she was supposed to be covering, a false equivalence I guess.

Did the Chesney crowd burn down stores? Did they smash blocks and blocks of store fronts downtown?

That being said, I have not renewed our subscription to either the Trib or the PG.

Reactions: dirge999
How does Joan Baez get off without any criticism for her hit song from back in the day.."The night they drive Ole Dixie Down"?

:confused:

I think Robbie Robertson might have an issue with you calling that a Joan Baez Song.

While I wouldn't go within five miles of a concert like the Chesney annual debacle did she also Tweet out pictures of the aftermath of real looting?

Was she supposed to be covering the protests/near riots? If so, it just seems like an attempt not to focus on what she was supposed to be covering, a false equivalence I guess.

Did the Chesney crowd burn down stores? Did they smash blocks and blocks of store fronts downtown?

That being said, I have not renewed our subscription to either the Trib or the PG.

The concert crowd wasn’t violent, just lazy, selfish, and ignorant. But they also weren’t really upset over anything. Then again, neither are the fans who celebrate a sport’s championship but we’ve seen those crowds become violent. Like the thing we do with Hoopie’s, right? I think that was her point.

Regardless of her tweet, using it as an excuse to silence the only two people of color they had covering the protest mutes a sympathetic perspective. It’s okay to be angry at the damage but that’s not a good enough excuse to ignore the message.

Reactions: 303vND

I prefer being in that crowd... fun.

The concert crowd wasn’t violent, just lazy, selfish, and ignorant. But they also weren’t really upset over anything. Then again, neither are the fans who celebrate a sport’s championship but we’ve seen those crowds become violent. Like the thing we do with Hoopie’s, right? I think that was her point.

Regardless of her tweet, using it as an excuse to silence the only two people of color they had covering the protest mutes a sympathetic perspective. It’s okay to be angry at the damage but that’s not a good enough excuse to ignore the message.

I still don't get her point in relation to the slovenly Chesney crowd and looters. Nor do I side with the editor. I think newsrooms, in general, suck.

Last edited:
1. She was implying that the Kenny Chesney concert goers did not get any flack for the mess they left behind, which is patiently untrue, there were calls not to have Chesney back.
2. If she equates being slobs and leaving trash behind after a concert and destruction and looting of private property, how would anyone consider her an unbiased reporter when it comes to the protests/riots?

1. She was implying that the Kenny Chesney concert goers did not get any flack for the mess they left behind, which is patiently untrue, there were calls not to have Chesney back.
2. If she equates being slobs and leaving trash behind after a concert and destruction and looting of private property, how would anyone consider her an unbiased reporter when it comes to the protests/riots?

I get that. It's just her comparison is pointless and stupid, and a sad attempt at snarky. I should have been more clear.

I think Robbie Robertson might have an issue with you calling that a Joan Baez Song.

I suppose it depends on whether he gets hung in effigy or not. Joan prides herself on being the female Bob Dylan and her version in pretty popular...all respect to The Band

I suppose it depends on whether he gets hung in effigy or not. Joan prides herself on being the female Bob Dylan and her version in pretty popular...all respect to The Band

I saw Bob Dylan in concert at the Rubber Bowl in Akron. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers played with him and the Grateful Dead was the headliner. Dylan was Godawful.

I will stick with The Band, although it's funny that, I think, there were four Canadiens and just one Yank in the band, The Band.

Reactions: Saboteur
I think was the lack of the clutching at pearls response to blocks being trashed as outrageous

Technically isn't that pretty much what they did? They removed themselves from the PG's business.
Yes, they did BUT by making a public announcement about it, they put themselves smack dab in the middle of it. What next??? If GE decides that they don't like the Steelers colors, will they announce it and stop selling Steelers merchandise?

But you're missing the point that you have to answer for your actions if you don't share his opinion, but if you do share his opinion then no one has the right to question your actions or retaliate because of them.
Who has to answer for their actions?

More than a few white people have been fired over "jokes". The Eagle can do anything they want with advertising. They are the one's paying. The PG provides good paying jobs to many Pittsburghers, if companies continue to pull advertising dollars these jobs will go away.
It's not a black/white issue for me, it's a matter of them minding their business. If they don't like what PG did and they want to pull their paper from the stores, do it. Unfortunately, they wanted to try to suck up to all people "protesting. That is why they announced it publically.

What next??? If GE decides that they don't like the Steelers colors, will they announce it and stop selling Steelers merchandise?

If that is what they decide, then yeah, that's exactly what they should do. And they would be well within their rights to do so.

Your position, at it's core, boils down to the PG should be able to do whatever they want. And that no one else has the same right. Which is silly.

I don’t care about this particular decision. I am more disappointed with how GE price gouged basic necessities during the height of the COVID craze and “locked” prices on their generic bullshit. They also doubled fees on curbside pickup too. Most regional companies are better than that.

I saw Bob Dylan in concert at the Rubber Bowl in Akron. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers played with him and the Grateful Dead was the headliner. Dylan was Godawful.

I will stick with The Band, although it's funny that, I think, there were four Canadiens and just one Yank in the band, The Band.
That's still a helluva lineup.

I don’t care about this particular decision. I am more disappointed with how GE price gouged basic necessities during the height of the COVID craze and “locked” prices on their generic bullshit. They also doubled fees on curbside pickup too. Most regional companies are better than that.

Do you mean delivery? I’ve used their curbside pickup quite a few times to get groceries at 2 locations and there haven’t been any fees.

It's not a black/white issue for me, it's a matter of them minding their business. If they don't like what PG did and they want to pull their paper from the stores, do it. Unfortunately, they wanted to try to suck up to all people "protesting. That is why they announced it publically.
It’s really simple.

The Journo posted a joke.
PH didn’t like that J posted a joke, so they silenced her.
GE didn’t like what PG did, so they pulled their support.
PittDanceTeam didn’t like what GE did, so they posted about it on a forum.

All things done are completely acceptable, or maybe you should have minded your own business and not posted about it.

How dare they be capitalists !!

they also protected their workers really early on and paid them hazard pay .
So
Sorry your charmin cost a little more- I’m glad they were on the right side of that - and this issue

How dare they be capitalists !!

they also protected their workers really early on and paid them hazard pay .
So
Sorry your charmin cost a little more- I’m glad they were on the right side of that - and this issue

I think I have a bunch of fuel perks.... what to do..

For the 1000th time....the PG hasn't been a left wing rag in a long time. They have endorsed mostly Republican candidates the past 4 or 5 years.

That said they are extremely biased against Pitt and UPMC especially. So I thoroughly enjoy seeing the PG crash and burn in this way.
Slick...they have been Dem shills for the 53 years since I got here. Check the letters to the editor sometime. 10-1 liberal.

If that is what they decide, then yeah, that's exactly what they should do. And they would be well within their rights to do so.

Your position, at it's core, boils down to the PG should be able to do whatever they want. And that no one else has the same right. Which is silly.
Joe...You are wrong, because it is not my position. What happens at the PG between it's employees and their supervisors, is their business. It is not mine, yours, nor is it GE's. That being said, GE took can certainly sell what ever items it wants in their stores. My problem is, they went out of their way to announce their decision to embarrass the PG for their handling of an "internal manner" that GE has no business being involved in.

Joe...You are wrong, because it is not my position. What happens at the PG between it's employees and their supervisors, is their business. It is not mine, yours, nor is it GE's. That being said, GE took can certainly sell what ever items it wants in their stores. My problem is, they went out of their way to announce their decision to embarrass the PG for their handling of an "internal manner" that GE has no business being involved in.
It wasn’t an internal matter- it was a public matter
And advertisers are right to vote with their wallets
You can double down on subscriptions to vote your support .

my money is the ppg doesn’t care because they will fold after the election .

It wasn’t an internal matter- it was a public matter
And advertisers are right to vote with their wallets
You can double down on subscriptions to vote your support .

my money is the ppg doesn’t care because they will fold after the election .
I disagree. It was an internal matter between her and her employer. She screwed up in the eyes of the PG and their policies and she was "punished". Instead of just taking and moving on, she wanted to try and gain some attention by going public with it. In regards to GE doing what they did, that's fine. Making a public statement about it was unnecessary and done in attempt to gain attention for themselves. I ask you, did GE make a public announcement when they decided to remove Wise potato chips from their shelves??? I'll answer...no, they did not.

Reactions: SoufOaklin4Life
I disagree. It was an internal matter between her and her employer. She screwed up in the eyes of the PG and their policies and she was "punished". Instead of just taking and moving on, she wanted to try and gain some attention by going public with it. In regards to GE doing what they did, that's fine. Making a public statement about it was unnecessary and done in attempt to gain attention for themselves. I ask you, did GE make a public announcement when they decided to remove Wise potato chips from their shelves??? I'll answer...no, they did not.
They also removed a photographer
And shifted reporters to garbage assignments to deemohasiZe the protest .
They made a calculated political move and it hurt them

My problem is, they went out of their way to announce their decision to embarrass the PG for their handling of an "internal manner" that GE has no business being involved in.

The PG deserves to be called out for their stupid actions.

The solution to being embarrassed over being called out for your moronic acts isn't to complain about being called out, it's to stop doing stupid things in the first place.

LOL! The Post-Gazette is definitely not left-leaning anymore and it hasn’t been for a long time.

They are in this trouble in the first place because they are being pretty openly inconsistent editorially, seemingly on purely ideological grounds.

However, if I’ve learned nothing else over the years it’s that conservatives want frank discussion as long as you are willing to sing their tune.

The moment that frank discussion becomes uncomfortable for them, you need to shut the hell up and dribble.

That’s why they’re always whining about Hollywood actors using their platforms to spout off their political opinions, but their favorite president is one such animal.

They don’t mean Ronald Reagan, he’s a real American. They mean the actors who don’t agree with them. Those folks need to shut their pie holes and stay in their lane.

Their current savior, and the man they appear to be willing — almost eager — to go over the cliff with Thelma and Louise style, is a New York City real estate magnate/former game show host.

That’s their guy. You can’t make up this shit.

The advertisers who quit the NFL over Kaepernick were just expressing their constitutional rights. Good for them! Giant Eagle exercising those exact same rights is overstepping their bounds and “virtue signaling.”

Drew Brees expressing his political opinions is just him being a great patriotic American. Colin Kaepernick expressing his feelings politically makes him a traitor to America who needs to leave politics out of sports.

It’s just the same bullshit over and over again. It’s their news versus fake news and real Americans versus people who are hell bent on destroying the economy or trying to make everyone gay or to love black people or whatever other insane bullshit they have imagined in the moment.

Last edited:
BTW, if what Keith Burris was saying were actually true, it would make perfect sense.

There IS far too much editorializing among younger writers especially and the social media revolution has definitely exacerbated that issue.

However, when another young journalist makes what appears for all the world to be an extremely similar, almost identical mistake, but with a different idealogical point of view, and that person is disciplined similarly, that’s when you have a big problem. That’s how you end up becoming a national news story.

I just read Burris’s op-Ed and He made several really good points. However, he also made several ridiculous assertions.

For one, he tried to make the case that as a social media reporter, this woman would likely not have been on this case in the first place. That doesn’t make any sense whatsoever. it is impossible to separate the latest protests from the influence social media has had on them and vice versa.

However, don’t take my word for it, take Jonathan Axelrod’s word for it. After all, he was the white journalist who appeared to make the exact same mistake that Miss Johnson but who was, by Axelrod’s own account, treated extraordinarily differently.

They also removed a photographer
And shifted reporters to garbage assignments to deemohasiZe the protest .
They made a calculated political move and it hurt them
Same principal as before. The photographer screwed up by supporting her. They are both very lucky that they were just reassigned because they could have just fired them both. The State of Pennsylvania is a "at-will" employment state, which means that your employer can fire you at any time, for any reason. They are lucky.

Yeah, I don’t think the Kenny Chesney example that the young reporter used is a good example at all. Also, I am inclined to buy to some degree Burris’s claim that this is tied in some way to the very public and very nasty on-going contract negotiations between the print writers guild and the newspaper.

My experience is that there are very rarely any white knights in any dispute.

I’m just making the point that for conservatives, any media that they deem to be even mildly critical of their movement or anyone on their “team” is now just dismissed as “fake news.” That is not good for anyone and I believe is the primary culprit for why things have become so nasty. They appear to be increasingly losing touch with reality.

I know that sounds harsh but that’s my honest opinion.

You have an investigation into the president’s ties to Russia, which results in guilty pleas or convictions of 17 people and it’s dismissed as a hoax perpetrated by “the deep state.”

In any other administration, Republican or Democrat, that would’ve been THE story of their presidency. However, here, the level of denial is so absurdly strong that they are comfortable pretending that it was really no big deal.

That’s just not normal.

And that’s not even getting into the transgression for which he was impeached, which was basically blackmailing Ukraine into lying about Russia.

Then, you have a pandemic that has wiped out countries around the world and has killed 115,000 Americans and has become the third leading cause of death in the United States in FIVE MONTHS and that too is a “Democrat hoax.”

That’s not normal and it is not good for our nation because you can’t have an honest debate on something that starts off just west of Cuckoo Junction.

As for this case, Burris is weakened by the fact that the white reporter, Jonathan Axelrod, has joined the chorus of support for the young black reporter. Axelrod himself has publicly acknowledged that he made a strikingly similar transgression earlier that same day, but received much different treatment.

Why?

Also, Burris’s claim that this is a non issue because Alicia Johnson is typically a social media reporter and this is not a social media story doesn’t make sense because social media is very clearly a central aspect of this entire story.

How do they think all of these rioters were meeting up in the same spot? Did it just happen?

I am just worried about what I’m seeing in the culture because I see an empire that is clearly in decline — for lots of complex reasons — and I’m not sure that everyone realizes just how much trouble we are in right now?

We literally have a third the country — maybe a little bit more than that — that is operating under an entirely different set of facts on everything than the rest of the country.

I asked them about Michael Flynn and you’ll see what I mean. They will swear to you that is a story of government overreach and proof of “the deep state conspiracy.”

They really believe that. It’s completely crazy and completely belied by the actual reality of what has happened and what is continuing to happen there, but that’s exactly where we are.

How can we sustain this if we’re not even agreeing on the basic foundations of the ideological debate?

The answer is we can’t. The problem is that neither liberals nor conservatives are going anywhere. Both sides are growing more inflamed and intense. Where is that going to lead?

Last edited:
However, don’t take my word for it, take Jonathan Axelrod’s word for it. After all, he was the white journalist who appeared to make the exact same mistake that Miss Johnson but who was, by Axelrod’s own account, treated extraordinarily differently.

Axelrod is "exempt". I think his mother is still at the PG, Sharon Eberson, and his father, Phil Axelrod, was a long time writer there. But actually this is no different than most places.....the rules don't apply to everyone equally.

Also. I despise Wendy Bell with a passion, but there are some similarities with the Alexis Johnson case. Both were encouraged to have a social media presence, then find themselves in hot water when posting something that is controversial when offered no guidance as what to post and not post by management.

Now, all of these military branches are moving towards removing the names of traitorous Confederate generals and that too is controversial.

WHAT?!

Yesterday, in an interview with Fox News, Trump called Abraham Lincoln‘s record “spotty.

What are you talking about?! Seriously, what are you even talking about, you goof?

The only controversy here in my view is that these military installations were ever named after those folks in the first place.

What would possess anyone to name an American military installation after a general who once tried to overthrow do United States government?

Maybe we could name one after Benedict Arnold too?

And naturally, because they live in a backwards, information-free world, they are accusing the United States military - THE MILITARY - of being virtue signaling liberals who need to be reigned in.

What are you even talking about, you flaming imbeciles?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT