ADVERTISEMENT

OT: No PG at Giant Eagle

Now, all of these military branches are moving towards removing the names of traitorous Confederate generals and that too is controversial.
WHAT?!
Yesterday, in an interview with Fox News, Trump called Abraham Lincoln‘s record “spotty.
What are you talking about?! Seriously, what are you even talking about, you goof?

The only controversy here in my view is that these military installations were ever named after those folks in the first place.

What would possess anyone to name an American military installation after a general who once tried to overthrow do United States government?

Maybe we could name one after Benedict Arnold too?

And naturally, because they live in a backwards, information-free world, they are accusing the United States military - THE MILITARY - of being virtue signaling liberals who need to be reigned in.

What are you even talking about, you flaming imbeciles?

I never realized Fort Bragg was named after a confederate general. I agree, it doesn't make sense to me. Will they put up statues for Radovan Karadžić in Sarajevo? I'm sure Damascus, Syria won't see any monuments of ISIS leaders.

Civil war still the bloodiest war in US history.

Statues are there to commemorate someones life and achievements. Many do good and bad in their lives.....MLK was serial adulterer but was an amazing person so he has many statues.

I’m just making the point that for conservatives, any media that they deem to be even mildly critical of their movement or anyone on their “team” is now just dismissed as “fake news.” That is not good for anyone and I believe is the primary culprit for why things have become so nasty. They appear to be increasingly losing touch with reality.

I know that sounds harsh but that’s my honest opinion.

You have an investigation into the president’s ties to Russia, which results in guilty pleas or convictions of 17 people and it’s dismissed as a hoax perpetrated by “the deep state.”

It's as if you simply can not recognize that the exact same thing happens from the opposite direction as well. For instance how many people on the left dismiss everything on Fox News or other "conservative media" sources as "fake news" simply because it may be critical of their "team"? How many Democrats will tell you that the Whitewater investigation was all about Republicans being pissed off about the Clintons, even though it resulted in 15 people being convicted of felonies, including the guy who was the sitting Governor of Arkansas and two of the four "equal" partners in the original Whitewater investment?

I know this sounds harsh, but the notion that all the stuff you are complaining about is only a conservative problem that the liberals aren't similarly afflicted with is, well, it's batshit crazy.

Statues are there to commemorate someones life and achievements. Many do good and bad in their lives.....MLK was serial adulterer but was an amazing person so he has many statues.

Almost everyone does bad in their lives. But that doesn’t nearly equate to traitorous pieces of sh** who take up arms against their own country in an effort (in large part) to defend slavery. Eff every one of them. The history should never be erased or ignored of course. If anything it should be emphasized to make sure things like that don’t ever happen again. But they shouldn’t be memorialized or celebrated.

They have to try to look balanced to capture Trib readers. Do they ever complain about one-party Pgh? Failed PPS??
Failed ?
We love our pps school
Absolutely love it

From a guy who lives his adult life in suburbs but still sent his kids to private school
Shush a bit on public schools

And most livable city ?
The city is thriving
Not that you can tell from beaver

It's as if you simply can not recognize that the exact same thing happens from the opposite direction as well. For instance how many people on the left dismiss everything on Fox News or other "conservative media" sources as "fake news" simply because it may be critical of their "team"? How many Democrats will tell you that the Whitewater investigation was all about Republicans being pissed off about the Clintons, even though it resulted in 15 people being convicted of felonies, including the guy who was the sitting Governor of Arkansas and two of the four "equal" partners in the original Whitewater investment?

I know this sounds harsh, but the notion that all the stuff you are complaining about is only a conservative problem that the liberals aren't similarly afflicted with is, well, it's batshit crazy.

You hit the nail on the head. Dr. Von Yinzer sounds like a very bright guy, but must be completely lacking in self awareness. And of course, it's comical that he is doing exactly what he is accusing others of doing. He just can't see it!

You hit the nail on the head. Dr. Von Yinzer sounds like a very bright guy, but must be completely lacking in self awareness. And of course, it's comical that he is doing exactly what he is accusing others of doing. He just can't see it!

You're missing an important distinction: conservative bullshit gets people killed.

Reactions: Ski11585
I've never been a fan of R.E. Lee and consider him to be a far worse traitor than Benedict Arnold.
Grant wasn't a butcher, Lee was. Lee lost a far higher % of his troops than Grant. Lee took up arms against his own country and did NOTHING for peace until he was forced to do so or get everyone in his army killed, including himself.
Lee was directly responsible for the death of hundreds of thousands of Americans and did everything in his power to perpetuate slavery.
Someone tell me what about this man was admirable?

Clearly, you chose to not see the fact that they are trying to involve themselves in personnel matters at the PG and that is NOT any of their business.

When you do business with another company anything can be anyone’s business. If a company is doing something that the other doesn’t like or support they can and maybe should pull their business.

What if a company does discriminate? While technically it’s a personnel matter (and also a legal matter) that is the business of any company who deals with them. Continued support can be seen as supporting the discrimination.

it is amazing to see the responses to this thread and how people cannot stay on point the pg run by blocks will not be in business by the end of the year because of the pointy head bow tied wearing white union buster in charge he is a joke

an embarrassment to what this paper once was and i applaud giant eagle for thinking of doing the right thing and not allowing bigots to sell their product in what is a store that is supposedly part of the community

there next step should be providing some kind of tiered pricing system to allow the people less privileged with income and resources to be able to shop without putting too much strain on their own savings which likely is none because of the tremendous mark ups of course you can go to aldi but aldi seems like a bastion of karen's and other white privileged people looking for bargains.

it is amazing to see the responses to this thread and how people cannot stay on point the pg run by blocks will not be in business by the end of the year because of the pointy head bow tied wearing white union buster in charge he is a joke

an embarrassment to what this paper once was and i applaud giant eagle for thinking of doing the right thing and not allowing bigots to sell their product in what is a store that is supposedly part of the community

there next step should be providing some kind of tiered pricing system to allow the people less privileged with income and resources to be able to shop without putting too much strain on their own savings which likely is none because of the tremendous mark ups of course you can go to aldi but aldi seems like a bastion of karen's and other white privileged people looking for bargains.

Me fail English thats umpossible

Reactions: FireballZ
When you do business with another company anything can be anyone’s business. If a company is doing something that the other doesn’t like or support they can and maybe should pull their business.

What if a company does discriminate? While technically it’s a personnel matter (and also a legal matter) that is the business of any company who deals with them. Continued support can be seen as supporting the discrimination.
I disagree. I have my own business and we "do business" with probably 45-50 different businesses each week. As long as each of those businesses and their employees, do nothing to effect my business with them, what happens with personnel matters within their company is none of my business.
Make no mistake, GE wanted to look good to all of the people protesting and rioting, that is why they made their decision to stop selling the PG public.
This is a matter of a company trying be politically correct.

Clearly, you chose to not see the fact that they are trying to involve themselves in personnel matters at the PG and that is NOT any of their business.

This does not really bother me one way or the other as I will probably never shop at a GE, nor buy the PG. But aren't personnel matters generally kept private? By this personnel issue being public enough to be discussed on a sports message board, it does then become an issue for anyone doing business with the PG.

This does seem to be upsetting some people, so GE should be able to decide to sell whatever products suits the needs of their business and customers. Those upset about not being able to buy the PG there (and a regular reader of the PG isn't buying it at the grocery every day--how often do people buy groceries?) can buy it at the newsstand or buy their groceries at Foodland. I'm sure GE has factored all of this in.

The PG has killed off much of their own market. They openly alienate/antagonize Pitt sports, Pitt and UPMC when they should be partnering with them.

This problem solves itself in 2 years when the PG is gone forever.

I have my own business and we "do business" with probably 45-50 different businesses each week. As long as each of those businesses and their employees, do nothing to effect my business with them, what happens with personnel matters within their company is none of my business.

So if you found out that someone that you do business with is a big supporter of the Nazi Party, and when asked about it they basically said "hey, it's our money, it's our company, we can do whatever we want", you'd be fine with that and continue doing business with them?

If so, that says a lot about you. And none of it good.

Yeah...let’s equate cheating on your wife with killing thousands for the sake of suppressing millions! I expect this from the Steeler board but not the Pitt board.

You're missing an important distinction: conservative bullshit gets people killed.
Liberal bullshit kills many more.
As for wars...WWI..WWII...Korea..Nam..All started by Democrats.
Civil War....Southern Democrats.
Planned Parenthood..

So if you found out that someone that you do business with is a big supporter of the Nazi Party, and when asked about it they basically said "hey, it's our money, it's our company, we can do whatever we want", you'd be fine with that and continue doing business with them?

If so, that says a lot about you. And none of it good.
I don't play the hypothetical game, because it is useless.
GE over stuck it's nose where it didn't belong, but that's their choice to do so. That being said, they did not have to make a public statement about their decision, but they did so to look good to those protesting and rioting in the area.
Nothing more then a PR stunt by GE.

I don't play the hypothetical game, because it is useless.

You won't play the hypothetical game, because it will show one of two things. Either that you are no different than Giant Eagle, because you recognize that the people that you are associated with do reflect on you, or that you are one awful human being.

Either way you are going to look bad, so best to just not answer.

You won't play the hypothetical game, because it will show one of two things. Either that you are no different than Giant Eagle, because you recognize that the people that you are associated with do reflect on you, or that you are one awful human being.

Either way you are going to look bad, so best to just not answer.
Joe...Nice try, but as can be expected, you have become just another online bully who has to make personal attacks on those who disagree with their point of view.
While I could respond in a similar manner to your attack on my character, I will not. I realize that for you, your personal attack was your "mike drop moment". Your chance to show how cool you are. Hey, you may even get someone to give you a "like" on your comment.
In reality, you have shown that you have no respect for those who may disagree with you and your opinions.
That my friend is a flaw in your character that you might want to work on.

I enjoyed the comparison between adultery and resigning from the US Army/declaring war on your own country so that you can keep slaves.

Joe...Nice try, but as can be expected, you have become just another online bully who has to make personal attacks on those who disagree with their point of view.
While I could respond in a similar manner to your attack on my character, I will not. I realize that for you, your personal attack was your "mike drop moment". Your chance to show how cool you are. Hey, you may even get someone to give you a "like" on your comment.
In reality, you have shown that you have no respect for those who may disagree with you and your opinions.
That my friend is a flaw in your character that you might want to work on.

My post was in no way intended to show "how cool" I am. Or to create a "mike" drop moment (I wouldn't want to hurt Mike when I dropped him). It was to point out what YOUR position on this topic says about YOU. I'm not attacking your character, I'm using your position to point out to people what your character actually is.

I understand why that's a problem for you. But at the end of the day it's your problem, not mine or any of the other people in this thread pointing out what your position means in the real world.

I enjoyed the comparison between adultery and resigning from the US Army/declaring war on your own country so that you can keep slaves.

Oversimplification of the Civil War and Lee. Yes, it is absolutely true and correct that slavery was the major underlying factor because it was the basis for much of the South's economy. However, not everyone who fought for the North opposed slavery and not everyone who fought for the South favored slavery. Many on either side saw it as being fought over a more fundamental principle of States Rights vs those of the Federal Government even though the Right of a State to allow slavery was the major item underlying States Rights concerns. States Rights believers held that since States voluntarily ratified the US Constitution and joined the nation that they should be allowed to voluntarily leave it. A considerable number of people back then also often felt more personal loyalty to their home State than they did to the United States as a nation. Lee was one of those who was seemingly more driven by not wanting to fight against his home State of Virginia than by a strong desire to preserve slavery. Union General George Thomas ( "the rock of Chickamuga") was a Virginian, who unlike Lee fought for the North. He appears to have been ambivalent about the institution of slavery having owned slaves himself at one time pre-war and helping some of his former slaves towards independence immediately after the war. As one might expect some other Union generals were suspicious of him because he was from Virginia.

In addition, it should be realized that the Emancipation Proclamation was made by Lincoln just as much to be a weapon to hurt the South's economy to help the end the war faster as it was made for the morally right and noble motive of ending slavery.

My post was in no way intended to show "how cool" I am. Or to create a "mike" drop moment (I wouldn't want to hurt Mike when I dropped him). It was to point out what YOUR position on this topic says about YOU. I'm not attacking your character, I'm using your position to point out to people what your character actually is.

I understand why that's a problem for you. But at the end of the day it's your problem, not mine or any of the other people in this thread pointing out what your position means in the real world.
Joe...I'm pretty sure that MY position on this topic is pretty clear. I don't think that I needed YOU or any one else to point out MY position on it.
Lastly, in order to judge someone's character, shouldn't you at least know them?
Time to move on.

Oversimplification of the Civil War and Lee. Yes, it is absolutely true and correct that slavery was the major underlying factor because it was the basis for much of the South's economy. However, not everyone who fought for the North opposed slavery and not everyone who fought for the South favored slavery. Many on either side saw it as being fought over a more fundamental principle of States Rights vs those of the Federal Government even though the Right of a State to allow slavery was the major item underlying States Rights concerns. States Rights believers held that since States voluntarily ratified the US Constitution and joined the nation that they should be allowed to voluntarily leave it. A considerable number of people back then also often felt more personal loyalty to their home State than they did to the United States as a nation. Lee was one of those who was seemingly more driven by not wanting to fight against his home State of Virginia than by a strong desire to preserve slavery. Union General George Thomas ( "the rock of Chickamuga") was a Virginian, who unlike Lee fought for the North. He appears to have been ambivalent about the institution of slavery having owned slaves himself at one time pre-war and helping some of his former slaves towards independence immediately after the war. As one might expect some other Union generals were suspicious of him because he was from Virginia.

In addition, it should be realized that the Emancipation Proclamation was made by Lincoln just as much to be a weapon to hurt the South's economy to help the end the war faster as it was made for the morally right and noble motive of ending slavery.

I highly recommend that you read the primary sources. Find out in their own words what slave states said about why they were seceding.

Georgia: SECOND SENTENCE "For the last ten years we have had numerous and serious causes of complaint against our non-slave-holding confederate States with reference to the subject of African slavery."

Mississippi: SECOND SENTENCE "Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world."

Texas: "(Texas) was received as a commonwealth holding, maintaining and protecting the institution known as negro slavery-- the servitude of the African to the white race within her limits-- a relation that had existed from the first settlement of her wilderness by the white race, and which her people intended should exist in all future time."

South Carolina: "We affirm that these ends for which this Government was instituted have been defeated, and the Government itself has been made destructive of them by the action of the non-slaveholding States. Those States have assume the right of deciding upon the propriety of our domestic institutions; and have denied the rights of property established in fifteen of the States and recognized by the Constitution; they have denounced as sinful the institution of slavery; they have permitted open establishment among them of societies, whose avowed object is to disturb the peace and to eloign the property of the citizens of other States. They have encouraged and assisted thousands of our slaves to leave their homes; and those who remain, have been incited by emissaries, books and pictures to servile insurrection."

Virginia: "The people of Virginia, in their ratification of the Constitution of the United States of America, adopted by them in Convention on the twenty-fifth day of June, in the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and eighty-eight, having declared that the powers granted under the said Constitution were derived from the people of the United States, and might be resumed whensoever the same should be perverted to their injury and oppression; and the Federal Government, having perverted said powers, not only to the injury of the people of Virginia, but to the oppression of the Southern Slaveholding States." (emphasis in original).

Please, peruse the articles of secession. Read the personal correspondence between Southerners. Read the first-hand accounts of how the Confederacy treated free blacks - some soldiers - from the Union. Arguing that the Civil War was about something other than slavery is like arguing that that time of possession is the point of a football game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT