OT: Penguins

USN_Panther

Assistant Coach
Gold Member
Jul 7, 2001
Heinin 2 goals within 28 seconds.

Nice to see some energy out there.

I don’t know who I dislike more, Marchand or Wilson :mad:
Honestly most of what Wilson does is at least within the context of the game. Sure his hits are cheap and dirty, but that has always been in the game. The nonsense that Marchand brings — licking the face of an opponent, what he did with Jarry last night — is not part of hockey.

It’s really unfortunate because the guy is a Top 10 talent in the NHL. Name another player who is equally dangerous short-handed, on the PP and 5-on-5.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
He should be suspended for poking Jarry with his stick. It doesn't matter that he didn't hurt him. There should be zero tolerance when it comes to using your stick as a weapon, even if you don't seriously injure someone.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Then these two incidents

And I guess before all of this, some stellar goalkeeping that frustrated the rat Marchand?

This idiot has 16K twitter followers. Weren’t we recently talking about Masshole fans?? At least the responses to this clown put him in his place.

Can we talk about Tristan Jarry? It’s a shame that his narrative was written by a bad 2 weeks of games because he has been damn good ever since he became the #1. I recognize that goalies are expected to win in the playoffs, but he has been one of the best goalies in the NHL (not Vasilevskiy level, but right below in my opinion).

Can we talk about Tristan Jarry? It’s a shame that his narrative was written by a bad 2 weeks of games because he has been damn good ever since he became the #1. I recognize that goalies are expected to win in the playoffs, but he has been one of the best goalies in the NHL (not Vasilevskiy level, but right below in my opinion).
Yes, for most of the season he has been exactly Vasilevskiy level. Look, Jarry playing like this, and he carries this into the Post Season the Pens are a real contender to win the cup.

Reactions: 303vND
I usually DVR Pens games because it’s easier to watch them when I can fast forward ads and use reverse to replay things I don’t catch. On the Marchand incident, I went back after hearing Jarry’s slash a couple of minutes earlier was the reason. I think a more likely reason was the stick directly to the face mask Marchand delivered when Jarry was on all fours in the crease after making what had to be his 43rd (?) save of the night. Couldn’t of course hear what was said after that but my guess is Jarry had something to say to Marchand about it. So, from the beginning I’ve got Marchand (probably) inadvertently smacking Jarry between the eyes, then I assume some choice words from Jarry about Marchand’s style of play, then a sucker punch to the side/back of Jarry’s head (thank god for the full mask), then to finish off his night, a jab at Jarry’s face that didn’t look like it landed. It had the potential to be the most damaging thing he did. Jarry was lucky the stick didn’t reach his throat.

I think the NHL should come down hard on him since there isn’t one thing he did that had anything to do with the game of hockey.
d-bag that he is, his 1st move should have been to apologize for whacking Jarry in the face during the play. He obviously took another route.

If Marchand or Wilson were Pens we would love them. I saw what the goalie said after the game I thought his reaction was correct.
What he said in is correct. Because if he says what we're all thinking, the accidental injury in the future for Marchand is then no longer "accidental".

Reactions: TFBaum
If Marchand or Wilson were Pens we would love them. I saw what the goalie said after the game I thought his reaction was correct.
I respectfully disagree. They are both very talented players that are prone to snap or intentionally try to injure opponents. Their respective antics, dirty play, and suspensions speak for themselves. I don't want the burden of rooting for or defending players that pull the shit these two idiots do....no matter the talent.

Reactions: 303vND
I respectfully disagree. They are both very talented players that are prone to snap or intentionally try to injure opponents. Their respective antics, dirty play, and suspensions speak for themselves. I don't want the burden of rooting for or defending players that pull the shit these two idiots do....no matter the talent.
Fair enough.

Marchand, even though a good player, is a despicable person. Any man who would lick another man's face during an altercation needs psychological help. He should be hit with a serious suspension. He is a serial offender with multiple additional suspensions. He is not all there and could seriously injure someone. Apparently the former suspensions have taught him nothing.

What he said in is correct. Because if he says what we're all thinking, the accidental injury in the future for Marchand is then no longer "accidental".
Both guys are really good players. Hell Marchand is great. A great player. Wilson is a pretty damn good player. There is not one team in the league if they were cut today wouldn't try and sign them.

I am remember going to a game in 1991 against the Flyers and Rick Tocchet (then of the Flyers) got into a fight with Troy Loney. There was some complaints that Tocchet was particularly dirty during this fight. Plus, he was a Flyer to boot! When the Pens traded for him later that season, I was incredibly excited because not only was he one of the toughest guys in the league, he was also a helluva player (and turned out to be a helluva good dude too).

Reactions: USN_Panther
Both guys are really good players. Hell Marchand is great. A great player. Wilson is a pretty damn good player. There is not one team in the league if they were cut today wouldn't try and sign them.
Sadly, this is mostly true. But mainly because of their talent level. They are both valuable players when they stick to playing within the rules. What really rubs me is when their head coaches ( or fans ) try to defend the defenseless when these guys pull their crap.

Reactions: USN_Panther

I am remember going to a game in 1991 against the Flyers and Rick Tocchet (then of the Flyers) got into a fight with Troy Loney. There was some complaints that Tocchet was particularly dirty during this fight. Plus, he was a Flyer to boot! When the Pens traded for him later that season, I was incredibly excited because not only was he one of the toughest guys in the league, he was also a helluva player (and turned out to be a helluva good dude too).
Can you imagine someone punching Hextall in the head like that? He would literally be homicidal.

Reactions: ShipofFools
We had goofball agitators - who weren’t as good as those two as players -like jarko Ruutu
No pens fan shed a tear when Matt Cooke was rightfully suspended
Marchand has 7 suspensions already -
It factors -
Should be 5 games for the stick to the face while engaged with a ref as the most egregious of his two chicken shit cheap shots on Jarry

The major difference is Tochet played hard and was hard to play against - like Tom Wilson - but he didn’t take head shots like Wilson . He’d line up, drop the gloves and fight . Tom Wilson won’t- he’s scared shitless of a real scrap from someone his size .
He’s a good player - but a gutless turd

Marchand is really talented but honestly is mentally ill. The shit he does is friggin weird .
It’s not simply agitating - his future involves a padded cell and no shoelaces or belts

The major difference is Tochet played hard and was hard to play against - like Tom Wilson - but he didn’t take head shots like Wilson . He’d line up, drop the gloves and fight . Tom Wilson won’t- he’s scared shitless of a real scrap from someone his size .
He’s a good player - but a gutless turd

Marchand is really talented but honestly is mentally ill. The shit he does is friggin weird .
It’s not simply agitating - his future involves a padded cell and no shoelaces or belts
Part of the issue, with fighting almost eliminated and the NHL's penchant for always coming down hard on the retaliation instead of the initial act, there is little deterrent for Wilson. And Wilson is a bad ass, he is big and the only guy I see who makes him shake in his boots was Ryan Reaves. That's why the Rangers got him. That is why Rutherford traded for him.

As for Marchand, yeah. He's just a goof. Don't understand why, he is a great player, like borderline HOF type of player. And he is such a jackass. I can't believe his own teammates don't drill him for embarrassing them. And if this was the old NHL, he would put a lot of them with targets on their backs.

I understand the NHL getting rid of fighting, and the Slapshot mentality. But that only works if you have referees actually policing the game. They don't. They are still stuck in when the league was an eye for eye league.

Part of the issue, with fighting almost eliminated and the NHL's penchant for always coming down hard on the retaliation instead of the initial act, there is little deterrent for Wilson. And Wilson is a bad ass, he is big and the only guy I see who makes him shake in his boots was Ryan Reaves. That's why the Rangers got him. That is why Rutherford traded for him.

As for Marchand, yeah. He's just a goof. Don't understand why, he is a great player, like borderline HOF type of player. And he is such a jackass. I can't believe his own teammates don't drill him for embarrassing them. And if this was the old NHL, he would put a lot of them with targets on their backs.

I understand the NHL getting rid of fighting, and the Slapshot mentality. But that only works if you have referees actually policing the game. They don't. They are still stuck in when the league was an eye for eye league.
Wilson will only fight a much smaller dude or someone with no rep for fighting .
Maybe that makes him smart - I think it makes him a coward .
He can be physical without the head shots and the hits from behind.
DariuS was physical but hit you head on

Reactions: ShipofFools

I agree with you that 1970s Slapshot hockey isn’t the answer, but the 2 minute fight instigator and 10 minute misconduct and the elimination of enforcers have given you guys like Marchand. It may sound like a page from a dinosaur like Don Cherry, but you need that enforcer to prevent BS like Marchands antics. Those days are dead and gone though.

It may sound like a page from a dinosaur like Don Cherry, but you need that enforcer to prevent BS like Marchands antics.

What you really need is for the refs to penalize antics like that correctly, and then there would be no need for enforcers.

What you really need is for the refs to penalize antics like that correctly, and then there would be no need for enforcers.
That’s the correct answer
I mean - it didn’t stop him but the game misconduct and 7 minutes of penalty time called was a step in the right direction
It was mostly ceremonial because of game time left
But that’s how you discourage that crap

Wilson will only fight a much smaller dude or someone with no rep for fighting .
Maybe that makes him smart - I think it makes him a coward .
He can be physical without the head shots and the hits from behind.
DariuS was physical but hit you head on
Wilson is also good at dropping his gloves and attacking an opponent before he is ready to defend himself. When the Pens had Gudbranson, Wilson wouldn't tangle with him either. Gudbranson beat him once already while a Canuck.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT