ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pens

I want to go back to that 2017 team comparison I was making the other day as I really think that's the game they should aspire to. One of the things that defined my experience with that team was I never once knew "We're going to win the Cup" during that playoff run. Every other Cup Run - there was a point that I "knew".

I'm hoping this version of the Pens has similar surprises in store for us. There's been a lot of progress made this season, they look like they're even listening to Coach. Add in the young talent, and it's a nice mix if they can get hot at the right time.
I go back a long time.
1991. Obviously when we beat the Bruins in the Conference Finals, I knew we were going to win the Cup.
1992. It was weird, while the Pens were defending champs, they actually were 3rd place in the division, The Rangers and Caps had the 2 best records in the league. Beating the Rangers without Mario in Rd 2, I knew there was no stopping this team, even with the Blackhawks ahead. People don't realize the Pens were 3rd place finishers. But if you remember, they had home ice advantage in the Conference finals against the Bruins and SCF's against the Blackhawks. That's how loaded the Patrick Division was then.
1993. Never, ever considered the Penguins losing at any point until they did. I was wrong, as were most of us.
2009. Obviously with the Wings, I mean you knew the Pens were the best in the East, but the Wings again, same set up. Until Marc Andre Fleury made the save on Lidstrom, I didn't know if we were going to win.
2013. Wow...was I wrong. Blitzing through the first two rounds, I thought they were going to win until the Bruins just shut them down.
2016. Beating the Caps. Obviously, I felt the winner of that series would win the cup.
2017. Beating the Caps. Again, I mean they willed themselves to it, but with Ottawa in the finals and then the Preds, I thought they could and should win. They did, but it was much harder than I thought.

I go back a long time.
1991. Obviously when we beat the Bruins in the Conference Finals, I knew we were going to win the Cup.
1992. It was weird, while the Pens were defending champs, they actually were 3rd place in the division, The Rangers and Caps had the 2 best records in the league. Beating the Rangers without Mario in Rd 2, I knew there was no stopping this team, even with the Blackhawks ahead. People don't realize the Pens were 3rd place finishers. But if you remember, they had home ice advantage in the Conference finals against the Bruins and SCF's against the Blackhawks. That's how loaded the Patrick Division was then.
1993. Never, ever considered the Penguins losing at any point until they did. I was wrong, as were most of us.
2009. Obviously with the Wings, I mean you knew the Pens were the best in the East, but the Wings again, same set up. Until Marc Andre Fleury made the save on Lidstrom, I didn't know if we were going to win.
2013. Wow...was I wrong. Blitzing through the first two rounds, I thought they were going to win until the Bruins just shut them down.
2016. Beating the Caps. Obviously, I felt the winner of that series would win the cup.
2017. Beating the Caps. Again, I mean they willed themselves to it, but with Ottawa in the finals and then the Preds, I thought they could and should win. They did, but it was much harder than I thought.

1992 was something crazy man. I mean what team has closed out a Cup Run with 11 straight wins?

Our team. Our Pens did that.

Just discovered Zohorna means radio in late common Slavic. It's got to be Radio-Z then right?

Still, I do like Zoho, and ran into Radim The Dream this morning which is pretty cool.

Last edited:
1992 was something crazy man. I mean what team has closed out a Cup Run with 11 straight wins?

Our team. Our Pens did that.
And not just 11 straight......but 3 against the President Trophy Rangers, 4 against the big bad Bruins and then 4 against the Blackhawks who were riding their own 11 game winning streak into the finals. Man, it is why 1993 is a shame, because those Pens teams were as good as the Oilers/Isles of the 80's and they don't get their due.

And not just 11 straight......but 3 against the President Trophy Rangers, 4 against the big bad Bruins and then 4 against the Blackhawks who were riding their own 11 game winning streak into the finals. Man, it is why 1993 is a shame, because those Pens teams were as good as the Oilers/Isles of the 80's and they don't get their due.

1993 still hurts. F***ing Volek. And Barrasso! God what a shitty goal/stake that was.

About to be Zoho-time. I predict 6g-7a and 67 penalty minutes against the Devil's!

So... 2 cents

1) Opposing players are cheating on McCann because they know he's shooting well. That tells me on scouting reports and film they are telling the PK to get on him fast. That is HUGE because it opens up the middle of the ice.

2) They are also rotating McCann out and Sid in . That movement is HUGE. It opens up that middle again. That's how we got that goal.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Chris Letang making up for that terrible start with one of the best shots I've ever seen from him. Goalie made the save, but couldn't stop the mid-air rebound.

Pens get the job done tonight in Jersey. DeSmith’s line looks worse than his performance deserved. Two weird fluky goals allowed in the 3rd, but he was again excellent. Isles lose so the Pens are just 2 points out of first and remain 11 points clear of the cut line.

Also, how about the goals this team has been putting up lately even without Geno, Kapanen, Blueger and Tanev? Does anyone realize that after tonight’s 6 goals, the Pens are 2nd in the NHL with 138 goals, which is only 2 behind Colorado for the league lead.

Also, how about the goals this team has been putting up lately even without Geno, Kapanen, Blueger and Tanev? Does anyone realize that after tonight’s 6 goals, the Pens are 2nd in the NHL with 138 goals, which is only 2 behind Colorado for the league lead.
A few things. Guentzel is a legit NHL star. It is funny when I see all these projections to the 2022 US Olympic team and Guentzel on the fringe of making it. I am sorry, there are not 8 better American born wingers.

McCann is sort of living up to why he was a 1st rd pick. Wicked shot, and can skate and he is one of those rare Penguins who has a shoot first mentality.

Kris Letang is playing so well right now, so well, making just smart plays with his talent instead of over complicating things.

Evan Rodrigues deserves huge shout out. He is playing really well and with confidence. However the 4th line is constructed going into the playoffs, it is not going to be a goal suck and same with the bottom D pairing being a minus machine.

A few things. Guentzel is a legit NHL star. It is funny when I see all these projections to the 2022 US Olympic team and Guentzel on the fringe of making it. I am sorry, there are not 8 better American born wingers.

McCann is sort of living up to why he was a 1st rd pick. Wicked shot, and can skate and he is one of those rare Penguins who has a shoot first mentality.

Kris Letang is playing so well right now, so well, making just smart plays with his talent instead of over complicating things.

Evan Rodrigues deserves huge shout out. He is playing really well and with confidence. However the 4th line is constructed going into the playoffs, it is not going to be a goal suck and same with the bottom D pairing being a minus machine.
Guentzel absolutely should be a lock, especially considering how good of a 5-on-5 scorer he is. I really hope the NHL does go to the Olympics because this will be by far the best and deepest group the US has ever had. Canada probably still has the edge among the forward group, but our potential D group, which usually is a weakness, will be every bit as good as Canada’s. And the US has a decided edge in goal.

I really hope the NHL does go to the Olympics

Seeing as to how the players got the right to play in the Olympics in the last collective bargaining agreement, the only way that NHL players won't be in the Olympics would be if the IOC screws it up.

Which, I guess, given that we are talking about the IOC, might still be a possibility.

You led with Guentzel, who is a shadow of his former self away from the puck. Jake is not anywhere near recovered from his separated shoulder, at least not emotionally/mentally.

I certainly am hopeful however that Letang, Rodriguez, and McCann are not just on hot streaks. Hope you're right that they all make it.

You led with Guentzel, who is a shadow of his former self away from the puck. Jake is not anywhere near recovered from his separated shoulder, at least not emotionally/mentally.

I certainly am hopeful however that Letang, Rodriguez, and McCann are not just on hot streaks. Hope you're right that they all make it.
Guentzel is on a 35 goal, 80 point pace. What are you talking about a "shadow of his former self".

Guentzel is on a 35 goal, 80 point pace. What are you talking about a "shadow of his former self".

Jake was far more than just a scorer. His defense has been crap, he's not winning nearly as many 1on1 battles, his general intensity is not there like it was. He can't dominate the puck like he did.

Which is all not surprising, he's a smaller guy, coming all the way back from an injury like that can be quite lengthy in a physical sport like hockey. Been seeing some signs recently, but he was was just so dominant before he got hurt....

thank goodness i am not running the show and the best human being is ......mario Lemieux.... he wouldnt even trade his peice in a down time.......
Mario is the Man!

I know it's just the Pensburg, however I strongly endorse this article. Jankowski has no use when we are healthy - he is now the 7th Center behind a couple guys in 11 & 67 that may ride the bench, but are light years better than Jank. There might be a place for him in this league, but his skillset is just a very poor match for the Penguins.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I know it's just the Pensburg, however I strongly endorse this article. Jankowski has no use when we are healthy - he is now the 7th Center behind a couple guys in 11 & 67 that may ride the bench, but are light years better than Jank. There might be a place for him in this league, but his skillset is just a very poor match for the Penguins.

It will be interesting. I am thinking/guessing/reading between the lines that Malkin's knee injury was in fact ligament damage and there are no guarantees he may not be ready before the end of the regular season. Which opens up some possibilities with an LTIR and his cap figure would no longer count, even if he comes back for the playoffs.

It will be interesting. I am thinking/guessing/reading between the lines that Malkin's knee injury was in fact ligament damage and there are no guarantees he may not be ready before the end of the regular season. Which opens up some possibilities with an LTIR and his cap figure would no longer count, even if he comes back for the playoffs.

God damn that sucks. Didn't we just pick up an extra week off at the end of the season because Vancouver?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT