ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pens

Solid job by Sully & Reirdon keeping the team focused and shutting it down. Once again I am seeing answers when problematic play shows up. Once again, this is how it has to be if they have a shot at making a run.

Nice rebound game for Jarry. I needed to see that. Was quite content with Coach's decision to get him back out there and address the problems from that God awful mess of a 3rd period. I didn't want 35 to sit around and have time for that to get into his head.

PP unit is starting to run into tougher sledding as teams are shading their coverage to take away McCann's shot. They always did that with Malkin, but it took a while to start doing the same thing with 19. Makes me wonder what adjustments might be coming. Also makes me wonder who gets replaced when Geno's back . . . I suspect it will be Rust or McCann, but the smarter play would be Jake IMO. I just hope it's not McCann, because with him AND Geno out there, you can't shade your coverage to both of them simultaneously. And that's a good thing, at least in theory.

Pretty invisible game from the vaunted McCann-Carter-Zucker line with only 1 shot 5on5(especially Zucker, again). Zuck is one of the lone holdouts when it comes to playing well recently, need him to find his place and turn that around soon. Hoping they use Carter at wing and to take faceoffs when Geno's back. 77's greatest asset is speed from the outside at this point IMO. Curious to see what he and Kap would look like speeding down the wings for Malkin....

Boston is making me nervous. I hate seeing Pen's Kryptonite getting hot just before the playoffs. Must avoid in Rd-1 IMO. I'd actually prefer to play the Isles with Lee out. And of course Caps if we must - however we will lose players in that series.

Caps got 64p, Pens & Isles with 63. Bruins with 60 but having 2 games in hand on everyone. It's going to be a great sprint these next few weeks, and a brutal couple of rounds to escape this stacked Division.

Reactions: JD1976
Solid job by Sully & Reirdon keeping the team focused and shutting it down. Once again I am seeing answers when problematic play shows up. Once again, this is how it has to be if they have a shot at making a run.

Nice rebound game for Jarry. I needed to see that. Was quite content with Coach's decision to get him back out there and address the problems from that God awful mess of a 3rd period. I didn't want 35 to sit around and have time for that to get into his head.

PP unit is starting to run into tougher sledding as teams are shading their coverage to take away McCann's shot. They always did that with Malkin, but it took a while to start doing the same thing with 19. Makes me wonder what adjustments might be coming. Also makes me wonder who gets replaced when Geno's back . . . I suspect it will be Rust or McCann, but the smarter play would be Jake IMO. I just hope it's not McCann, because with him AND Geno out there, you can't shade your coverage to both of them simultaneously. And that's a good thing, at least in theory.

Pretty invisible game from the vaunted McCann-Carter-Zucker line with only 1 shot 5on5(especially Zucker, again). Zuck is one of the lone holdouts when it comes to playing well recently, need him to find his place and turn that around soon. Hoping they use Carter at wing and to take faceoffs when Geno's back. 77's greatest asset is speed from the outside at this point IMO. Curious to see what he and Kap would look like speeding down the wings for Malkin....

Boston is making me nervous. I hate seeing Pen's Kryptonite getting hot just before the playoffs. Must avoid in Rd-1 IMO. I'd actually prefer to play the Isles with Lee out. And of course Caps if we must - however we will lose players in that series.

Caps got 64p, Pens & Isles with 63. Bruins with 60 but having 2 games in hand on everyone. It's going to be a great sprint these next few weeks, and a brutal couple of rounds to escape this stacked Division.

Yeah, my problem with Malkin on the PP replacing McCann or Rust, is we need a shot first guy. Malkin is maybe the most egregious of the over passer. If Geno sets up to start firing one timers, then it should be okay, but we know that won't happen.

Yeah last night the Carter line was really invisible. And that's okay. Kapanen gave a real shot to the bottom 6 obviously.

Interesting the Isles scratched Travis Zajac last night.

Boston is hot, Rask is back, and yeah I would prefer to avoid them. They have many games against the Sabres and Devils. It seems like everytime the Caps and Isles play, they go into OT just to eff with the Penguins.

I don't know how the lines shake out when everyone is healthy, but it should make for some interesting competition.

I still think when it all comes down to it, this Division, the 4 teams making the playoffs are all incredibly matched and it will come down to goaltending.

Reactions: CougarClaws
It seems like everytime the Caps and Isles play, they go into OT just to eff with the Penguins.
I’m not sure who all here has access to watch all the games, but once the Pens game was in hand I flipped over to watch the OT between Washington and the Islanders. That might have been the most boring 3-on-3 OT I have ever seen. Washington couldn’t have had the puck for more than 30 seconds and the Islanders were so conservative that they had to have passed or skated the puck out of the offensive zone at least a dozen times. What a snoozer that was. Ovi did leave the ice injured in the OT so that bears watching over the next few days.

Buffalo did us a favor beating the Bruins yesterday. We take care of business in this 3rd one against the Devils today and we’ll be in good position heading into the Bruins matchup on Sunday.

Buffalo did us a favor beating the Bruins yesterday. We take care of business in this 3rd one against the Devils today and we’ll be in good position heading into the Bruins matchup on Sunday.
Yeah, the 4 playoff spots in the East are all but set. It's about positioning now. Pens win back to back this weekend, they can really put distance between them and the 4th spot.

I really don't know who is the best matchup in the playoffs. It is going to be a bear.
The Caps are the Caps. talented, big, heavy and I am sure Tom Wilson will be on his best behavior.
The Isles just bring out the worst in the Pens.
The Bruins, playing in Boston is always a nightmare and a healthy Rask gives them the most consistent goaltending in the division.

Yeah, the 4 playoff spots in the East are all but set. It's about positioning now. Pens win back to back this weekend, they can really put distance between them and the 4th spot.

I really don't know who is the best matchup in the playoffs. It is going to be a bear.
The Caps are the Caps. talented, big, heavy and I am sure Tom Wilson will be on his best behavior.
The Isles just bring out the worst in the Pens.
The Bruins, playing in Boston is always a nightmare and a healthy Rask gives them the most consistent goaltending in the division.
In a normal year the east would be those 4 in the top 4 seeds

Reactions: USN_Panther

Penguins power play this season in games with Malkin: 15/84 17.9%
Penguins power play this season in games without Malkin: 16/49 32.7%

The obvious answer to who should Malkin replace on the top power play when he comes back is "no one". But we all know that isn't going to happen.

Penguins power play this season in games with Malkin: 15/84 17.9%
Penguins power play this season in games without Malkin: 16/49 32.7%

The obvious answer to who should Malkin replace on the top power play when he comes back is "no one". But we all know that isn't going to happen.
As I said in another post, Geno is paramount to the Pens pass first mentality and always has been. He should be a shooter. But he can't help himself. The problem with alot of NHL teams, they treat a PP like it is a Fantasy team, rather than put parts together than fit well.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Crosby gets the empty netter with a tenth of a second left on the clock to put Pens up 2. Puck line bettors rejoice (or curse) their luck.

Reactions: HOF Coach
Two reasons why?

1) Pens, especially in this division, are playing in alot of tight games.
2) Pulling a goalie was always a standard, but almost strictly reserved for 1 or 2 goal games under a minute left. Now teams are pulling a goalie with 2 minutes left, hell if they are down multiple goals, 3 minutes left. So many more opportunities to score.

Kapanen makes a huge difference for this team. Fast, physical and is everywhere. At the end of the day, there is probably a high likelihood that in the long run Pittsburgh highly underpaid for him.

This is very much like a playoff game. As much trouble as the Islanders have been over the years, I much rather play them in Rd1 and let Boston and Washington beat on each other.

Still, I look at all these teams and they are pretty much formed, and the Pens still have Malkin and Tanev yet to come back. That's huge. Malkin pushes Jankowsky out of the lineup, pushes Blueger down. Gives Kapanen a running mate. You have 3 lines, 87, 59 and 17 on one. 71 and 42 on another. 77 and 16 on another. 19 on either of those two. Blueger/ZAR and Rodrigues at the 4th line. Man, that's strong with alot of options of guys who can put it in the net.

Reactions: Ski11585
This is very much like a playoff game. As much trouble as the Islanders have been over the years, I much rather play them in Rd1 and let Boston and Washington beat on each other.

Still, I look at all these teams and they are pretty much formed, and the Pens still have Malkin and Tanev yet to come back. That's huge. Malkin pushes Jankowsky out of the lineup, pushes Blueger down. Gives Kapanen a running mate. You have 3 lines, 87, 59 and 17 on one. 71 and 42 on another. 77 and 16 on another. 19 on either of those two. Blueger/ZAR and Rodrigues at the 4th line. Man, that's strong with alot of options of guys who can put it in the net.
When they acquired Carter I was curious what role he would play being primarily a right winger. Slotting him as the third line center after Geno returns looks like the puzzle piece that was missing. As you mentioned putting Zucker on the third line with him gives the team offensive and defensive potency up and down all four lines when healthy.

Feeling much better about a little playoff success going forward.

Reactions: TheChair
I know we won only 1-0, but, if this is any indication of how we might look in the playoffs then other teams are in trouble. We were all over the Bruins for the better part of that game and had we converted on a few more of our two on ones we could have won by 4 or 5. Just a really really solid performance. I just love that in your face style not giving the other team any room. Great performance and this year's playoffs could be alot of fun again!

I know we won only 1-0, but, if this is any indication of how we might look in the playoffs then other teams are in trouble. We were all over the Bruins for the better part of that game and had we converted on a few more of our two on ones we could have won by 4 or 5. Just a really really solid performance. I just love that in your face style not giving the other team any room. Great performance and this year's playoffs could be alot of fun again!
I know it’s early and we still need to wait and see how they look once they have a full lineup, but I really do think this could be one of the best teams of the Crosby/Malkin era. Four full lines of forwards, three full lines of defensemen, and two very good goaltenders.

Regardless of what happens, this season has been very fun to watch. I was skeptical at the beginning of the season (older team, history of slow starts, short season, four playoff teams in a tough division), but everything that had to go right has gone right and then some. I’m not sure how much longer they’ll be playing at this level with this core, so unlike the previous playoff runs I’m really trying to appreciate what they’re doing and not take it front granted.

If my math is correct, I believe the Pens can clinch a playoff berth as early as Tuesday with a win over Boston and a regulation loss by the Rangers against Buffalo.

Tampa Bay says hello.
Tampa likely won't win their division. Carolina is good (and will be back in the Pens division next year) and Florida is right there.

I look at these divisions, and I laugh at the McCanada division and how bad it is compared to the rest. But somehow, they will definitely get a team within 4 wins of making the finals.

I know it's only been a few games, but wow was I off about Carter being a wing. He looks super awesome at Center these last several contests.

I'm still concerned about Zucker. Dude needs a goal something fierce, but I want him to fit somewhere like just about every other player on this team has recently. It kind of looks like he might end up fitting with Carter though. Maybe.

Contemplating the ifs today, trying to figure out this playoff run. But I still don't quite trust the team to show up for the playoffs. The Pens were quite intriguing going into the last two post-seasons I thought, and then basically they didn't even try. But if they've got that behind them, this group is showing many of the signs of a serious Cup contender.

Realistically, I've got two teams that are legit better than the Pens- Tampa & Colorado - that's it. Carolina, Florida, & Vegas are also impressive, however I like a healthy Pittsburgh to take those squads in a seven game series. This is lining up to be a great Sunset opportunity for Malkin and Letang late in their careers, and going into the last season of their contracts here.

On another note Pens 2019 first rounder Samuel Poulin is off to a hot start in the QMJL playoffs with 5 points through two games, and he's an impressive 14 of 19(74%) in the faceoff circle after having played about 20 games at C this season. And it looks like he may actually be a Center, which would be a good thing for the Penguins. He has the feel of one of those guys that's going to need 40 or 50 games in the AHL before he's ready, so expect to see him next winter. Will be a solid all around Middle-6 type player IMO, does a lot of things the right way.

Last edited:
Not to go “cart before horse”, but thinking ahead to the Seattle expansion draft, Zucker is playing his way closer to being exposed. It was kind of assumed he had a spot and the last one would be McCann, Blueger or Tanev. But with the play those three have shown when healthy, it might be wiser to protect two of them instead. The 1st rounder they traded for Zucker is cited as a reason for adding him. But with the regime change it seems more likely Hextall views it as sunk cost and gamble the Francis takes him and his $5.5million cap hit.

Not to go “cart before horse”, but thinking ahead to the Seattle expansion draft, Zucker is playing his way closer to being exposed. It was kind of assumed he had a spot and the last one would be McCann, Blueger or Tanev. But with the play those three have shown when healthy, it might be wiser to protect two of them instead. The 1st rounder they traded for Zucker is cited as a reason for adding him. But with the regime change it seems more likely Hextall views it as sunk cost and gamble the Francis takes him and his $5.5million cap hit.
I can’t see any way Tanev or Blueger get exposed, but I haven’t sat down and looked at the entire picture yet. McCann has run hot and cold in his time with the Pens so losing him would be palatable if say Poulin is ready to go next season and still have another season of Jeff Carter. Frankly, I would hope Zucker is the one taken by Seattle.

I can’t see any way Tanev or Blueger get exposed, but I haven’t sat down and looked at the entire picture yet. McCann has run hot and cold in his time with the Pens so losing him would be palatable if say Poulin is ready to go next season and still have another season of Jeff Carter. Frankly, I would hope Zucker is the one taken by Seattle.

I think McCann has three big advantages over Tanev: age, contract and upside potential. McCann is only 24 (5 years younger). He makes less than $3million and is signed through next year, and he has shown signs that he can play top 6 and fill in at center. You are right that Tanev has been more consistent and he is valuable, especially on PK. But $3.5million for another 4 years is steep for a bottom 6 guy. That is a big gamble that he stays healthy and keeps his speed for a guy that doesn’t shy away from physical play.

IMO, I would protect McCann over Blueger any day.
Pens will probably lose Blueger or Aston Reese to Seattle.

The thing is Zucker is getting chances so they (goals) should come. If he wasn't, that would be more problematic. There is no doubt that Zucker will be exposed in the Expansion draft. It is not just talent, but also cap room/contract situations. The Pens have forward depth that they can afford to give up Zucker without much concern and shed the salary.

I think the protected list is:

Crosby
Malkin
Rust
Guentzel
Kapanen

Letang
Dumolin
Petterson (assuming Mathewson waives his NTC.)

Jarry

2 of Zucker, McCann, Blueger, Tanev, ZAR. I’d guess McCann and Blueger.

I think the protected list is:

Crosby
Malkin
Rust
Guentzel
Kapanen

Letang
Dumolin
Petterson (assuming Mathewson waives his NTC.)

Jarry

2 of Zucker, McCann, Blueger, Tanev, ZAR. I’d guess McCann and Blueger.
Petterson? You mean Marino. They aren't going to protect Petterson.
I’m assuming Marino wasn’t listed because he gets some sort of protection, but I forget the specifics. Of course, I could be wrong.

I’m assuming Marino wasn’t listed because he gets some sort of protection, but I forget the specifics. Of course, I could be wrong.
Yeah, you maybe right. He was a rookie last year, so I think you don't have to protect 1st and 2nd year players.

Must protect 7 forwards, 3 defensemen 1 goalie.
Guys who have No Trade and Movement clauses have to be protected.
Sid
Geno

Then
Jake
Rust
Kapanen (I would assume)
Then out of this group, McCann, Zucker, Carter, Blueger, ZAR, the Monkey, I am guessing you protect McCann and Blueger.

Defense:
Letang

Dumoulin
Marino is exempt.
Ceci is an UFA and doesn't count.
So Petterson, Matheson, Ruwhedal, and I am guessing you are right about exposing Matheson and protecting Petterson.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT